Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Missed Cervinia link and stuck in Zermatt

Poster: A snowHead
So it has happened.. we are staying in Cervinia but got delayed on the way back over from Zermatt and now stuck on the Swiss side. We are a family with two kids 7 and 11, managed to find a room in a youth hostel…any recommendations what we can do to make the best out of the bad situation… where shall we eat dinner? Or maybe something to do in Zermatt tonight or tomorrow morning before we ski back?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Switzerland is a good place to buy a good watch Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sounds like quite an adventure. Hopefully the kids are seeing it that way. I've no advice to give as have never been to Zermatt, but will be interested to hear how you get on.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A lesson to us all. All those ski jacket pockets are really meant for a toothbrush and spare kecks.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not been for years so not cheap eating recommendations I'm afriad. One bonus is if the weather is nice in the morning you'll get to see the matterhorn at it's best !
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I can appreciate your predicament, but have you let your hotel in cervinia know your situation before they alert the search parties.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BergenBergen wrote:
I can appreciate your predicament, but have you let your hotel in cervinia know your situation before they alert the search parties.

A very good point.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another lesson : dont go skiing without credit cards
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If dont mind you coud eat at mc donalds
If there are still there
Probably the most expensive mc in europe?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@sugarmoma666, we are all trying to take it as an adventure.. kids are ok , upset that they can’t play their video games tonight ( which what we let them do in the evening) but given that the main reason for the whole situation is that my eldest skied off in the wrong direction and we had to chase after him .. will report back here on how we go from here.. currently the plan is get dinner ( a bit annoying as having to walk in ski boots) , early night and ski Zermatt tomorrow before going back
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ster, toothbrush would have been handy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@BergenBergen, we are staying in an apartment so should be ok
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@turms2, we do have credit cards, thankfully
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
From memory, there's a free museum of mountaineering, somewhere near the church?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@turms2, hmm maybe will try to avoid McDonald’s…although kids would probably be delighted
snow conditions
@Ricky B, thank you. Will have a look
snow conditions
Oh no, how unlucky ... given that you'll be in your ski outfit and boots I'd recommend Grampis (it's on the main pedestrian drag). There are, of course, many nicer restaurants but these tend to be relatively formal and, of course, pricier. Grampis is lively and friendly - they do nice pizzas and pasta dishes and the house wine is very good. Enjoy.
snow conditions
It's the golden rule 'miss the lift, get a room'. A taxi back was always rumoured to be in the region of 500CHF. We always head over first thing and come back after after lunch. Any later is just too stressful.
I've very nearly been caught out getting back into the Val Gardena valley from Arabba side a couple of times. Had the wife a kids pelting it for miles and just made it. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Bad luck.

The North Wall bar was always on the climbers itinerary, 22+ years since I popped in but might be ok for something to do, some schnapps might be in order?

Maybe find one of those bars that has the log, hammer and nails game........ on the other hand. Shocked
snow conditions
Quote:

a bit annoying as having to walk in ski boots

Isn't there electric taxis?

Might as well make the best of the rest of the day while you're there.
snow report
Klammertime wrote:
Bad luck.

The North Wall bar was always on the climbers itinerary, 22+ years since I popped in but might be ok for something to do, some schnapps might be in order?

Maybe find one of those bars that has the log, hammer and nails game........ on the other hand. Shocked

Assuming it's still there I think the North Wall bar is a good bet, excellent and cheap (by Zermatt standards) pizza. Pretty sure they have the nails game in there Very Happy
snow report
Mollerski wrote:
It's the golden rule 'miss the lift, get a room'. A taxi back was always rumoured to be in the region of 500CHF. We always head over first thing and come back after after lunch. Any later is just too stressful.
I've very nearly been caught out getting back into the Val Gardena valley from Arabba side a couple of times. Had the wife a kids pelting it for miles and just made it. Madeye-Smiley
CHF500 only?! A cab between the Geneva airport French sector and the Swiss side is CHF50 (or was it €50?), so I'm surprised a 3.5h drive via Gd Saint Bernard, with tolls (or 5h via the Simplon) is not a lot more.
ski holidays
Apologies - this is probably too late but Sparky’s might be a good bet and Grampi’s as mentioned. There is a sausage stall in the Bahnhofstrasse and a McDonald’s, pizza Roma in Reidstrasse, the supermarkets (Migros opposite the ice rink and Co-Op opposite the station have sandwiches etc). The North Wall Bar used to run skiing/climbing films which might keep the children happy. It probably doesn’t help but you are the first person I know to have got stuck! One thought - it is probably worth explaining the situation at the lift station tomorrow morning as there might be an issue with lift passes issued in Cervinia being used on the Zermatt side for the first journey of the day. I’m sure they will be sympathetic! Good on you for making the most of the situation. Enjoy your stay!
latest report
The total bill for the mishap will, I'm sure, be of interest to many of us. Good luck!
snow report
Thank you all for suggestions. We walked around for a bit and ended up in a restaurant called Molino which was nice and resonantly priced , they didn’t mind our ski boots and tired kids and even let us charge our phones
@Welshcakes, it was not just us who missed the link. There were at least four other people and apparently it happens every day. We have spoken to lift office and they have our names in case of any issue with passes… pl@patrick!, we were told a taxi is 800 EUR ! Anyway now trying to plan for tomorrow- where is good to ski before going back to Italy? Any fun slopes for kids- to make them see a positive side of the experience?
latest report
k2bob wrote:

You are a bad man….
ski holidays
Orange200 wrote:
k2bob wrote:

You are a bad man….

Nah, he's just bored.
ski holidays
As a treat for the kids get them some Swiss chocolates to take back. We like the 'Napolitains' packets of small bars by Cailler. A bit pricey but last longer than a single bar. Cailler regularly do better on blind tastings in CH compared to the better known brands like Lindt & Sprugli or the tourist-oriented lookalikes.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yeah you're not the first to end up in Italy unintentionally, that's for sure. But now you'll have an epic family story forever. From lemons, we make lemonade!

When the kids were little we had a rule "never ski below me unless I say so". Even now that they're grown, in unfamiliar territory it gets reimposed. Funny how a little rank-and-file discipline helps make the freedom part go better.
snow report
Bella2015 wrote:
Thank you all for suggestions. We walked around for a bit and ended up in a restaurant called Molino which was nice and resonantly priced , they didn’t mind our ski boots and tired kids and even let us charge our phones
@Welshcakes, it was not just us who missed the link. There were at least four other people and apparently it happens every day. We have spoken to lift office and they have our names in case of any issue with passes… pl@patrick!, we were told a taxi is 800 EUR ! Anyway now trying to plan for tomorrow- where is good to ski before going back to Italy? Any fun slopes for kids- to make them see a positive side of the experience?
Take the train up to Gornergrat - they will love it ... you can then ski down to Riffelberg. Hot chocolate at the Iglu is a must (it's on the piste map). Good luck.
snow conditions
How memorable. You will look back on this with great fondness.
snow report
franga wrote:
Bella2015 wrote:
Take the train up to Gornergrat - they will love it ... you can then ski down to Riffelberg. Hot chocolate at the Iglu is a must (it's on the piste map). Good luck.

Good shout.
ski holidays
@Scooter in Seattle, They were stuck in Switzerland, they wanted to be in Italy, remind me if we ever meet not to follow you Toofy Grin !

@Bella2015, Sounds like you’ve had real adventure and made the best out of it, look forward to seeing an update on the next instalment.
snow report
Wow, you must have really been cutting it fine if one missed turn made you miss the last lift up to the Klein Matterhorn!! Puzzled

Something tells me you shouldn't be pinning the blame for this on No.1 son! rolling eyes

Glad it isn't a complete disaster though, and you're making the best of it! snowHead
latest report
Gross incompetence Madeye-Smiley !
snow conditions
I remember skiing in the 1990s and seeing hundred of skiers walking back up from Zermatt each day after they realised

1) they had gone the wrong way,
2) their lift pass did not cover Zermatt and
3) the price of a lift back up!

Never did get to ski Zermatt - must go back!
snow conditions
@Bella2015, can you ski freely between the two countries ? no issues with passports / covid etc ?
ski holidays
Quote:
Bella2015, can you ski freely between the two countries ? no issues with passports / covid etc ?
PCR needed at the turnstile of all lifts connecting from Italy to Swiss border - then same again when you come back wink They're in Switzerland - they can afford it Cool
ski holidays
sorry...
but
Laughing
latest report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Bella2015, can you ski freely between the two countries ? no issues with passports / covid etc ?
PCR needed at the turnstile of all lifts connecting from Italy to Swiss border - then same again when you come back wink They're in Switzerland - they can afford it Cool

How old can the pcr be? 48, 72 hours? Going to Cervinia myself in the new year.

Thanks
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy