Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travelling to France via Green Country

Poster: A snowHead
We all know about the UK restrictions entering France which make it almost impossible to ski.

BUT

Can you fly to a different country and then enter France?

Green countries such as Italy could be an option - fly to Turin (Torino) and then enter France that way without restrictions. The Independent seems to think this is acceptable (See link):

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/france-travel-rules-uk-ban-update-b1977234.html

The French don't require a Passenger Locator Form, instead, you fill out a Sworn Statement which only asks for your original destination and does not ask for countries you visited prior.

The official websites in France have no guidance about this at all and it seems like a big loophole.

Thoughts...?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My understanding is that the rules apply for travel from the UK if you have been there within the previous 14 days. You are probably unlikely to get stopped, but if you are the stamp in a UK passport would give away your lie, and I suspect the French authorities might take a dim view of that.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RobinS wrote:
My understanding is that the rules apply for travel from the UK if you have been there within the previous 14 days. You are probably unlikely to get stopped, but if you are the stamp in a UK passport would give away your lie, and I suspect the French authorities might take a dim view of that.

I called the French Consulate who said they only look at where you came from.

I asked how many days you needed to be in a Green country before entering France and they said they had no official guidance and the rules didn't rule out entry from Italy, for example.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bez if you're asking CAN you cheat the system, then yes probably.

I also see on the news last night you can buy fake COVID-Neg results and pay someone to fake update the NHS vaccination database (€440 plus crypto fees) on the Darkweb.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Richard_Sideways wrote:

I also see on the news last night you can buy fake COVID-Neg results and pay someone to fake update the NHS vaccination database (€440 plus crypto fees) on the Darkweb.

Not so much cheating the system. The rules are rules and they allow for travel from a green country.

We are going to be in Ireland for 10 days prior to going to France so I don't see it as cheating the system - if they said 'We ban all UK Nationals' then yes, that's cheating.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@bezthespaniard, Interesting question.

I must admit that I had been mulling over something similar, i.e. a cheap package holiday to Courmayeur for a week (using my annual Chamonix Unlimited pass for the lifts), then under the tunnel to commence my season in Chamonix. Fly home to the UK when the France/UK border reopens again to drive back with the rest of my stuff.

I certainly don't want to act unlawfully by accident or design, however if there is a legitimate way to do it I may give it a go. A week just in Courmayeur would feel like a long time however....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
To be certain of not getting rumbled, you'd need to get a PCR test in Italy before crossing the French border, the UK cert may raise some eyebrows.........
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bezthespaniard wrote:
We are going to be in Ireland for 10 days prior to going to France.

So if you won’t be flying out of the UK anyway, why the suggestion of going to France via Italy….? Puzzled

Edit: I now wonder if you are suggesting this ploy for UK based travellers rather than for yourself?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Red Leon wrote:
bezthespaniard wrote:
We are going to be in Ireland for 10 days prior to going to France.

So if you won’t be flying out of the UK anyway, why the suggestion of going to France via Italy….? Puzzled

Edit: I now wonder if you are suggesting this ploy for UK based travellers rather than for yourself?

Ireland is a green country so we would travel from there to France and some other friends are coming from the U.K. so May go via Italy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@bezthespaniard,
If you've flown to Italy why on earth would you then want to go to France Puzzled
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
musher wrote:
@bezthespaniard,
If you've flown to Italy why on earth would you then want to go to France Puzzled

We want to ski in France. You can get in to France via Italy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My advice would be to try skiing in Italy, you might get cured.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
musher wrote:
My advice would be to try skiing in Italy, you might get cured.

Doesn’t help with our existing bookings
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Richard_Sideways wrote:

It's not cheating if there's no rule forbidding it.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@bezthespaniard, I posted this is France Restrictions after taking my OH to Turin airport, last Saturday.

So if one is willing to gamble and does not care about the rules except for rule number 5 Laughing

Here are two ways to get into France.

Fly to Turin, rent a car and drive over the border at Montgenevre looking so Italian.

Or if you don't think you can manage that, get collected at Turin by a mate, at Claviere get into your ski togs and skis your mate brought with him, buy a Via Lattea lift pass and ski over to Montgenevre and then meet your mate in France.

Today I travelled back and forth over the border to from Turin and could see that was all possible Toofy Grin

I surmise that some of the above might well be happening with "residents" here expecting friends to arrive for Xmas / New Year.

My OH has moved her flight back to Lyon on the 29th rather than risk Italy going introducing restrictions, but she does have French residency.
snow report
Just came back from a trip to Meribel. I am French so different rules might apply if you have a British passport but here's what happened:
Last Friday I landed in Turin. To board the flight I needed a negative LFT test, proof of vaccination and the Italian passenger locator form.
In Turin, to clear customs, I was asked to show the QR code from the Italian passenger locator form and nothing else.
I then collected my rental car and drove to the resort via the Frejus tunnel. Arrived at the tunnel at around 21:00. At the tunnel, seeing my car's Italian number plates, the custom officer just waved me through without asking for anything (the car in front of me had Romanian number plates and they checked their passport.)
Once in resort, I was never asked for my Covid pass on the piste but all restaurants asked for it.
On the way back (last Monday) there was no custom officers at the Frejus tunnel on the French side so nobody asked me for anything. To board the flight I was asked to show my negative LFT test result (the test to come back to the UK) and show proof of vaccination. BA had already verified the UK passenger locator form, etc. (you can now upload them also for the return leg)
At Heathrow, I went through the e-gates as usual, no drama.

I suspect that travel via Italy is the easiest route for UK passport holders unless they start introducing travel restrictions. If you have an EU passport this should allow you to bypass the ban and requirement to quarantine. I suspect the same applies when landing in Geneva.
ski holidays
@bezthespaniard, What has happened to your plan to enter through Ireland (on green list)??
snow report
albob wrote:
@bezthespaniard, What has happened to your plan to enter through Ireland (on green list)??

That is still my plan but others in my group are looking at Ireland or Italy
latest report
GrosPierre wrote:
Just came back from a trip to Meribel. I am French so different rules might apply if you have a British passport but here's what happened:
Last Friday I landed in Turin. To board the flight I needed a negative LFT test, proof of vaccination and the Italian passenger locator form.
In Turin, to clear customs, I was asked to show the QR code from the Italian passenger locator form and nothing else.
I then collected my rental car and drove to the resort via the Frejus tunnel. Arrived at the tunnel at around 21:00. At the tunnel, seeing my car's Italian number plates, the custom officer just waved me through without asking for anything (the car in front of me had Romanian number plates and they checked their passport.)
Once in resort, I was never asked for my Covid pass on the piste but all restaurants asked for it.
On the way back (last Monday) there was no custom officers at the Frejus tunnel on the French side so nobody asked me for anything. To board the flight I was asked to show my negative LFT test result (the test to come back to the UK) and show proof of vaccination. BA had already verified the UK passenger locator form, etc. (you can now upload them also for the return leg)
At Heathrow, I went through the e-gates as usual, no drama.

I suspect that travel via Italy is the easiest route for UK passport holders unless they start introducing travel restrictions. If you have an EU passport this should allow you to bypass the ban and requirement to quarantine. I suspect the same applies when landing in Geneva.

Thanks for the info. Think Turin could be an option!
latest report
@bezthespaniard, Roger...
snow report
Spoke to French Consulate in London and British consulate in Paris.

Both agree that entry via green country is allowed. Italy mentioned as ok to enter via.
snow conditions
bezthespaniard wrote:

Both agree that entry via green country is allowed. Italy mentioned as ok to enter via.

Just watched France24 and nothing changed in essence to make it easier so I’m off to cancel La Rosiere and it’s either Austria or Italy for me now although I’m going to book last minute for any future trip.

Happy New Year!
ski holidays
bezthespaniard wrote:

So my great escape to France via spain looks probable Eh oh!
ski holidays
Rules changed at midnight tonight.

No entry from green country if you were in U.K. within 14 days:

Passengers wishing to travel to France must present this certificate to transport companies before boarding and to border control authorities. It applies to travellers arriving by a direct flight or after a transit of less than 14 days in another country. Failure to do so shall result in the passenger being denied boarding or access to the territory.
ski holidays
@bezthespaniard, those rules have been in effect for ages, or at least, effectively, "declaration d'honneur" (like the Swiss one) required listing of any non-green countries visited.
latest report
@HammondR, drove the tunnel both ways yesterday for some skiing in Courmayeur. Zero checks and zero drama. We were in a 74 plate car though, and all carrying docs that showed we either had French residency (proximity to tunnel) or at least had been in France for over 14days, just in case.
snow report
bezthespaniard wrote:

Passengers wishing to travel to France must present this certificate to transport companies before boarding and to border control authorities. It applies to travellers arriving by a direct flight or after a transit of less than 14 days in another country. Failure to do so shall result in the passenger being denied boarding or access to the territory.

I did not see that in any of the rules where is it please? I only saw it on the declaration and that is also only listed in the uk section, not the travelling from green country section
snow conditions
As on another topic, there is nothing in the Green country travel rules about previous locations/countries.
If anyone rings a Consulate again, there could be a possibility of a change Eh oh! Eh oh!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@midgetbiker, do the trans-frontalier rules apply if you aren't actually full time residents? (Haven't bothered to look recently). I know that at some point recentlyy the Swiss were just making it easy by including all permanent residents of the Auverge-Rhone-Alpes region !
ski holidays
bezthespaniard wrote:

I'm confused (not that difficult..)

When I go to this page :: https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actualites/L-actu-du-Ministere/Certificate-of-international-travel#from2 :: and click on 'travel from green country' then click on the sworn statement 'doc' file

the text you quote does not appear ??

That text does however appear in the 'traveling from the UK' doc file

======EDIT ====

The file I am looking at is dated the 4th of December - is there a later version ???
snow report
@albob, You are spot on. It would be interesting challenging a FR official on the semantics and claim "I never read/knew about the UK info pages, only the Green country info".
latest report
@under a new name, no, tbh I don’t think they do, but as there is no stated need to carry your CdS through the tunnel we were just assuming if stopped we could blag it with the two in the front being resident and those in the back having random docs (eg EDF attestation titulaire) that ‘suggested’ they were resident.

A friend who is Italian told us once we were back that the 60km rule was actually for Italians returning to Italy from border regions, and that the reciprocity was actually only ‘in practice’ not in law. So all (like much else) very murky.

My report though was our experience, and not intended as stating what is ‘correct’.

Lunch was very nice though, it has to be said.
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:

its beyond me why anyone would pay for this. if one wanted to cheat, any old neg test and a photo editor then printed out. As for the Vax cert? same thing, just edit a version of on the PDF version, the QR code can't be scanned outside the UK.
ski holidays
jayroc2k wrote:
Richard_Sideways wrote:

its beyond me why anyone would pay for this. if one wanted to cheat, any old neg test and a photo editor then printed out. As for the Vax cert? same thing, just edit a version of on the PDF version, the QR code can't be scanned outside the UK.

The travel qr code has a digital signature from the issuing authority and most certainly can and is scanned outside the U.K….the domestic qr code will simply come up as invalid and will preclude you from entering public spaces etc etc.
latest report
andmelffion wrote:
jayroc2k wrote:
Richard_Sideways wrote:

The travel qr code has a digital signature from the issuing authority and most certainly can and is scanned outside the U.K….the domestic qr code will simply come up as invalid and will preclude you from entering public spaces etc etc.

I certainly hope so but as someone who have taken over 30 flights this year... went to restaurants in several countries which required the Vax passport (I almost sound like an anti-vax super spreader). No one outside the UK has been able to scan the NHS COVID Pass. in fact, when I try to use their scanners to speed up the check in, they tell me it can't read uK format

But one data point does not make it statistically true.

That said, I know numerous folks who had to travel before their second jab was due or passed the 14th day, so they just edited the pdf printout to add the second jab with corresponding dates....
ski holidays
The UK NHS QR code is at least accepted in France where QR codes are widely scanned.
ski holidays
@jayroc2k, It's only since 28th October that the NHS QR code became scannable across the EU, and in reality probably a little later as verification apps across the EU will have had to be updated.

However, by now the NHS QR code should be accepted everywhere as equivalent to the EU countries' codes.

The French app was recognising NHS QR codes before this date, but that was a separate negotiated agreement between UK and France.
ski holidays
@bezthespaniard,
I was wondering when you spoke with the French Consulate re entry to France via a Green Country . I have trawled the internet & can find no guidance on this at all.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy