Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France off the cards, where next!?

Poster: A snowHead
Was due to go AHD France on Monday.
Just booked to go to Bansko Bulgaria on Sunday. Definitely not our first choice but not many options. We are hoping that Bulgaria will be the last to follow the French
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lanzarote for us. Giving up on skiing this year.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Boarderfarce, considering doing the same. May l ask did you booked directly or via TO ? Haven’t been to Bulgaria so don’t know where to start
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Boarderfarce wrote:
Was due to go AHD France on Monday.
Just booked to go to Bansko Bulgaria on Sunday. Definitely not our first choice but not many options. We are hoping that Bulgaria will be the last to follow the French

At least the food is good.
Head to the old town mehanas
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Was due to be going out to val d'isere on the 1st of Jan which is now obviously not going to happen! Wondering if its worth booking either Austria or Italy... Has anyone booked an alternative? Not sure what would be the best bet at the moment Puzzled
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

In Bulgaria????
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnE wrote:
Quote:

In Bulgaria????

lol
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Was supposed to be self driving to Avoriaz on Saturday for Christmas. Sunweb refund already incoming.

Ended up rebooking for Austria at lunchtime with Crystal Ski - fly out on Monday.

Keeping my fingers crossed nothing else changes, for now.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
tomb wrote:
Was due to be going out to val d'isere on the 1st of Jan which is now obviously not going to happen! Wondering if its worth booking either Austria or Italy... Has anyone booked an alternative? Not sure what would be the best bet at the moment Puzzled

Austria comes out of lockdown tomorrow. So long as you are double jabbed with the last vaccination less than 270 days ago, or you’ve had a 3rd jab, you’re good to go for Austria. There are no other requirements (as things stand).

I wouldn’t like to predict hotel availability on the 1st Jan. more likely from the 2nd, though the first week in the New Year can also be popular. Possibly more so with the news from France. I do feel for those whose plans have been so disrupted, so close to planned departures.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
David B wrote:
Once you learn the local language you realise what is actually is been said and the tone of the comments. (Please note I did not say British).

I will never forget the look on the shop assistance face when my Grandfather went up to the counter in Wales and started talking in Welsh with them. He never would tell us what they had been saying Happy He did speak a lot of languages mind you, well into the double digits and had learn't Welsh simply because he wanted to know what the locals where saying.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Four holiday's cancelled and rebooked in the last few weeks, feel like I've been all over Europe without leaving home.

1 - Trysil Norway, cancelled after they announced testing at OSLO airport on arrival, 11 of us going inc a couple of little one's, decided arriving on xmas eve to be then stuck in a quarantine hotel was too big a risk, looking back cancelling that was probably a mistake.

2 - Chamonix - Cancelled after there seemed to be no preparation or planning by the resort for having kids like our 13yr old daughter tested each day for the ski lifts, especially when the pharmacies are closed on the 25/26th. Chatel was recommended on here as being a better alternative in terms of Covid preparedness.

3 - Chatel, - the one I'm most gutted about, booked all inclusive last weekend with Sunweb, antigen tests booked in advance for each days skiing for our youngest. Thankfully Sunweb seem to be on the ball, offering refunds within a few hours of the announcement today.

4 - Borovets - Booked this just before lunch today through Crystal for peace of mind, glad we did as they seem to have sold out now got an amazing deal. Price we paid inc half board and flights is £1k less than the hotel only with B&B through Booking.com. Before anyone pipes up and tells me Borovets is poo-poo, I've been there before and know the slopes well. The skiing is fine, value for money is ridiculous and they have night skiing everyday (or at least most days) which my kids love. You just need to stay in one of the nicer hotels outside of the centre of town and keep a close eye on your teenage boy when your anywhere near the main strip Laughing

So far, got a refund on everything apart from the antigen tests in Chatel, have emailed them so there is a small chance I might get that back too. Feels like Borovets is our last chance to get away over Xmas/New Year, I doubt it will happen but fingers crossed. Worst bit is the 'tuts' and headshakes from our friends and family, they all think we're bonkers for persevering.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Bella2015, we booked with iglu. All over the phone. Our first choice hotel got booked up whilst we were on the phone so missed out. Alternatives are getting booked up quick as you can imagine.
I've never been to Bulgaria either, not expecting efficiency or equivalent pistes compared to the Alpes. However we are two families with 4 kids under 10 so don't need extreme skiing. I've read ques for the gondola are bad but will have to tough it out
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I've read ques for the gondola are bad but will have to tough it out

OK it has been a long time since I've bee to Borovets, probably 30 years, but the queues for the main gondola were very long then and very good natured. No body bothered if you left the queue to get a coffee and came back to your previous position. No body pushed and squeezed to get head of you. Those that spoke english even talked to you.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Boarderfarce, thank you. I think we might try to go to Italy unless they change their entry requirements in the next two days
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Is anyone heading to Switzerland? I’ve tentatively booked something in Villars which looks good. Who knows if we’ll be able to travel there.

In the meantime my hotel in Morzine is waiting to see how long the ban is before giving us our refund - we’re supposed to be there in 11 days! Would like that sorted out of course before we book something else. Feel so sorry for all the businesses over there.
snow report
The tottering house of cards that is my January holiday takes another knock...

All these rule changes on top of various flight cancellations have left me with a bizarre combination of holiday components spread across 3 different countries... all covering the same dates! How I got to this point - don't ask rolling eyes

- an outward flight to Geneva with easyJet, strangely on a Wednesday
- a return flight back to Scotland, but with Jet2
- car hire from Geneva
- two different self catering apartments near Grenoble
- ski hire near Grenoble
- car hire from Bergamo, Italy

No idea whether we'll end up being able to use any of them - probably not rolling eyes In a month's time I could be in France, Switzerland, Italy or Scotland. Or maybe even Germany or Austria.

At the moment I'm trying to keep my options open, but it's getting complicated trying to keep track of what date different things need to be cancelled to ensure a refund Laughing
snow conditions
EU Prime ministers meeting in Brussels currently trying to agree common travel strategy. I suspect this will not make things any easier outside of France for Brits. Micheal Martin mentioned increased testing before and after travel, the after obviously a big concern for all holidaymakers.
latest report
@denfinella, I'm in a similar position. Supposed to be flying out to Turin this Sunday for a week in the Monterosa area I've got Obergurgl in my plans for the 9th of January, Grindelwald end of Jan and Zermatt in April. Who knows what might happen. My plan g is driving up to Balater near Braemar and using it as a base to ski The Lecht and Glenshee. We'll take our touring ski's and downhill skis with us. Determined to ski this season one way or another after last season's dissapointment and the previous one being brought to an abrupt halt. I would say if you get the right weather Scotland can be epic and I've skied all over the world. Talk about life being a roller coaster, what weird times we're living through. I'll never take travel for granted ever again.
latest report
Got my email from Crystal to say that my flight for Andorra on Sunday will now go via Barcelona. Great news for some, not for us - we have an unvaxxed teen - so I’m hoping a refund happens todays and we can just forget about skiing.

I’d toyed with going to Bulgaria or somewhere else in Europe but it just seems a lot of stress now and tainted somewhat.

Seriously cheesed off for many reasons, but this last week just shows how volatile things still are. Anyone who gets a trip then fair play, but I’ve had enough of jumping through hoops, what ifs and the prospect of something going wrong.

Better get myself down the shops to start buying stuff for Xmas dinner…
latest report
@Specialman, it’s all such a mess, we’d booked a diy trip but now thinking TO’s are a safer bet, how do you rate crystal in all of this? Considering booking Austria as our french trip now off.
ski holidays
@feefee, I think it’s better to book DIY for Austria myself.
The tour operators can cancel due to lack of numbers so whilst you can be happy to go it doesn’t mean it will run if everyone else cancels or moves their trip for wherever reason.
Austrian resorts are so easy to get to using public transport so I think it’s best to sort your own out.
I had one TO trip cancelled (Fernie) and 2 others (Cervinia and Gressoney) where they asked me did I want to change it to something else so I shoved them over to next year and booked a DIY trip, I’ve had 2 trips so far this winter just sorting my own stuff out it’s easier I think!
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5, we were supposed to be going Boxing Day the whole family to a chalet, some flying some driving, I booked and paid for it all, some credit card some bank transfer, shuttle will refund I’ve no doubt, BA will offer vouchers but I’ll try for a refund, the chalet I expect to say no refund? So looks like I’ll have to turn to our travel insurance and hope for the best. It’s such short notice but Crystal have a covid policy which looks good and I’m tempted a as it seems hassle free. We’ve diy many times to Austria but I don’t think I can cope with all these different claims again? I hadn’t considered them cancelling if not enough people.
ski holidays
feefee wrote:
@VolklAttivaS5, we were supposed to be going Boxing Day the whole family to a chalet, some flying some driving, I booked and paid for it all, some credit card some bank transfer, shuttle will refund I’ve no doubt, BA will offer vouchers but I’ll try for a refund, the chalet I expect to say no refund? So looks like I’ll have to turn to our travel insurance and hope for the best. It’s such short notice but Crystal have a covid policy which looks good and I’m tempted a as it seems hassle free. We’ve diy many times to Austria but I don’t think I can cope with all these different claims again? I hadn’t considered them cancelling if not enough people.

Crystal have been very good so far which I commented on earlier in this thread…Inghams a bit of a nightmare (I had a thread about them specifically a few weeks ago)

Due to go to La Rosiere Jan 15 (first time there and looks very appealing) but suspect will have to bail although holding my nerve for a week or two and Crystal honouring their pledge to allow full refunds or switch so may have to swap to Austria if I want to get away same dates or I defer La Rosiere to Feb or March
ski holidays
feefee wrote:
@Specialman, it’s all such a mess, we’d booked a diy trip but now thinking TO’s are a safer bet, how do you rate crystal in all of this? Considering booking Austria as our french trip now off.

The interaction I've had with Crystal on this and on previous holidays has always been good but this recent news will test their ability to deal with a big situation... I appreciate they're up against it and although anxious to get it sorted, appreciate I'm one of many who need to be dealt with. Looking on FB pages there are some very entitled people who expect personal service when they click their fingers in situations such as this - it's going to be a day of waiting by the phone to find out my options.

We have done DIY before and loved it but with it being the kids' first time, and wanting a special Christmas with no hassles, we went with a TO for the security and cover it provides.
ski holidays
@feefee, good luck with getting the refund for the chalet, best wishes to you snowHead
Yeah I think what happens is you get these fee free changes within a certain time when usually you’d be committed in other years (which is brill for flexibility), so when something happens with the ever changing landscape it puts some off but not all, so there’s a lot of changing about going on.
With Fernie I noticed they had taken the holiday off sale so I thought that was a matter of time before they were cancelling it and they did. No explanation given really but I’d noticed the shuttle bus from the airport wasn’t running this season so I couldn’t DIY that one instead. With Cervinia they wrote to me asking me did I fancy changing it to something else about a week or so before and so I thought ‘oh here we go’ so I did and I think they cancelled that an’ all! For Gressoney that was Feb so miles away yet but again they wrote to me asking me did I fancy changing it fee free. So I can only assume they look at the numbers booked and try and get people going to the same place if they can (well the ones that are left who haven’t bailed). I took the opportunity for Gressoney even though it may not be cancelled by the time we get to Feb because it’s not a mega popular resort anyway compared to others.
So I shoved the lot of them over to next season when hopefully things will be easier (I think we will be having all this next year as well truth be told, as when are these variants going to end, probably never?!)
Also with my flights these last 2 times I’ve gone with Munich instead of Innsbruck even though Innsbruck is closer as not only was it miles cheaper but it’s a ‘commuter’ flight from London with people on it who do business in Munich and vice versa.
Lufthansa mind not EasyJet as I noticed EJ seem to cancel flights a lot. So I thought it was less likely to get cancelled at short notice because of the route and the carrier.
It worked fine doing it like that.
Mind you I’m lucky that I have the flexibility to go whatever day of the week.
snow report
@Specialman, it’s true Crystal are good, I had my £2k refund for Fernie within about 3 days.
They have had a torrid time I bet, if you look on Twitter you get some right assholes who complain they’ve not had a reply about a trip in a month’s time and they are asking all sorts of things they can just find out from the website or elsewhere if they had any sense.
I know with a tour operator you are paying for a service but that doesn’t mean you can be horrible. If it wasn’t for all the numpties phoning up about unnecessary things the phone queues probably wouldn’t be as long.
snow conditions
Gilberts Fridge wrote:
Not sure why the UK has been singled out in this instance, but I am sure our own populist politicians have equally hacked off the French in many ways.

Not sure why South Africa was singled out by the UK a few weeks ago. There's a lot of politics and hypocrisy involved in this. We aren't perfect. Neither are the French.
snow report
@Sfellows, maybe because that is where the omnicrom variant was first detected.

i think that most people are now trying to say that the variant has already spread across most countries extremely quickly, that it seems relatively pointless at this point to block individual countries.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The ability for 12-15s to come to Austria nationwide has been announced at a press conference this morning, from Tiroler Tagezeitung
Quote:
The “Ninja Pass” is now a tried and tested corona test pass for schoolchildren in Austria. The tests are taken in the school, the pass is valid as proof of entry for all areas where children and young people are required to present a negative test result.

▶ ️ Now it is being expanded as a “Holiday Ninja Pass” as well as proof of school-free time - both for Austrian school-age young people and for school-age holiday guests from abroad aged 12 to 15 years .

▶ ️ Tourism Minister Elisabeth Köstinger said in the press conference on the Ninja Pass during the holidays:

“The 2G rule currently applies in Austria, which requires proof of proof from all persons over the age of 12. However, this requirement cannot be met for all families from abroad, as different vaccination rules apply in other countries and many young people are not or only partially vaccinated. Under these conditions, many would have decided against a winter holiday in Austria. With the Holiday-Ninja-Pass, an officially recognized 2G certificate in Austria can be provided even without a complete vaccination or proof of recovery. "
▶ ️ The Holiday Ninja Pass is equivalent to 2G proof if:

Valid negative test evidence is always available from day 1 to day 5;
basically at least 2 tests of which are PCR tests;
All official test certificates are attached to the Holiday Ninja Pass in paper form or digitally and a valid photo ID is carried.
ski holidays
Flights LHR to Munich leaving Mon 20th returning 30th Dec are about £237 per person but that’s including 23kg luggage and ‘free’ ski carriage
Not too bad really considering it’s over Christmas week.
So for those of you that can get accommodation in Austria for that time period that could be a goer.
latest report
Just had a quick nose at the Mayrhofen website while I was having my lunch to see what was going for that time period I said above. 2 bedroom apartments 45-60m2 seem to be around €1200-1700.
So for a family of 4 that’s £1000 say for flights plus £1500 ish for the apartment. Plus transfers from Munich. For 10 days over Christmas.
latest report
Original booking was what we thought a good deal with Crystal for 4 days Les Arcs £369 each HB. Then saw that it was advertised much cheaper and Tignes was good price. Tried to change to Tignes but never got through. Tried again on Tues then success on Wed and got amazing deal to La Tania for £627 each HB which was being advertised elsewhere as £250 a night B&B for the room. Nice hotel right on the piste, then France shuts us out. We are getting full refund from Crystal. We had already booked various events here so not able to travel until 21st and other ski destinations had nothing from Scotland. So we are now going to Lanzarotte. I had started getting ski stuff out but now its beach. Will fit in more ski once things settle a bit. Birthday Bash still OK??????
latest report
The ninja pass is now also available for the holidays. The test ID should be valid for Austrian students as well as for school-age guests from abroad. The tests are done at school. The pass serves as proof of access to all areas where children and young people are required to submit a negative test result.

In order for the holiday ninja pass to be equivalent to a 2-G certificate, several conditions must be met:

-) From day 1 to day 5, a valid negative test certificate must always be available

-) at least 2 tests of which must be PCR tests

-) a valid photo ID must be carried

By carrying out this regular test rhythm, the Holiday Ninja Pass is also valid on days 6 and 7 without further test evidence. The students receive two “bonus days”, so to speak.

If no PCR test can be presented due to an evaluation that has not been carried out in due time (longer than 24 hours), the detection of an antigen test is permitted instead.

The 7-day cycle is flexible. This means that the test series can be started on any day of the week. The test for entry into Austria can also be claimed in the Holiday Ninja Pass. The pass is valid from the submission of the first negative test result. All children and adolescents born after August 31, 2006 are considered to be school-compulsory.

my lad was born 3 days after this cut off date....phew !
ski holidays
jason123 wrote:
I’ve just made a bold call and booked Austria. There are some cracking deals for under £300 and you only need the NHS covid pass for entry. Standard test and day two PCR on return. But at this point I’m willing to take a gamble

Extra protection booking through Crystal also

Same, we booked last night, leave on the 27th with Crystal...can't wait.

Made first steps to recover monies paid for apartment in VT, will roll over euro tunnel.

Must say we got a cracking deal as well, however whilst we were thinking about it, it went up £100pp Sad

Looked later & it had increased by another £200+ Confused
ski holidays
Sod the French , they have an enviable country , but I gave up on France for skiing a few years ago even though i have an appartment in Les Coches .
The Austrians and italians are much more welcoming and friendly
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@Specialman, it’s true Crystal are good, I had my £2k refund for Fernie within about 3 days.
They have had a torrid time I bet, if you look on Twitter you get some right assholes who complain they’ve not had a reply about a trip in a month’s time and they are asking all sorts of things they can just find out from the website or elsewhere if they had any sense.
I know with a tour operator you are paying for a service but that doesn’t mean you can be horrible. If it wasn’t for all the numpties phoning up about unnecessary things the phone queues probably wouldn’t be as long.

Agreed. I got cut off today after 3hrs of being on hold, sent several emails and DMs on twitter but appreciate I'm unlikely to get a response, such is the calamitous number of people this has affected. I can't imagine Crystal staff are sat there with their thumbs up their respective posteriors, they'll be swamped for sure and probably in need of a holiday themselves....Working in social media I know that being an @rsehole to people via DMs is a recipe to not getting anywhere fast, so it's just a case of having patience and hoping they get round to me before my flight takes off at 6am on Sunday.

Most frustrating thing is I would book somewhere else but the options are so narrow with an unvaccinated 12yo, that everything just seems like a headache. Us, the TOs and the tourism industry in general have really been shafted by inconsistent country-to-country rules made by people who are playing a game of political grandstanding at the highest level.
snow report
Drove through France yesterday evening, Dover ferry into Calais, no problem.
They didn't even ask for proof of vaccination (just a negative Covid test result)

Was driving around UK a lot the day before , so not been checking the news etc.

So, er - what's everybody talking about? What have I missed hearing in the meantime?
latest report
+1 for Crystal. I detest the complaints culture we live in and how people react when things go wrong. Ski trips naturally contain an element of jeapardy but some people seem to think that good weather and the things dependent on that, should be guaranteed.

Also, you should have a good time in Bulgaria, as long as there is decent snow-that would be my only concern. For those questioning the food, it's actually ok! I wouldn't worry about it. Besides, it's not like all of the food in the French Alps is top notch is it..
snow report
Nobody has a crystal ball obviously, but what are people's gut feelings about how long the travel ban will last?

I'm confident we will be able to travel again by late Winter. The speed at which Omicron is spreading should mean that the wave peaks and troughs more quickly imo. As tragic as that may turn out to be.
latest report
Nick M wrote:
Drove through France yesterday evening, Dover ferry into Calais, no problem.
They didn't even ask for proof of vaccination (just a negative Covid test result)

Was driving around UK a lot the day before , so not been checking the news etc.

So, er - what's everybody talking about? What have I missed hearing in the meantime?

All non essential travel from the UK to France banned from 11pm UK tonight.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy