Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

postponing holiday?

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Crystal ball time - Does anyone think postponing an Alpine ski trip from mid Jan back a few weeks to mid Feb or even March will make a hoot of difference to all the shenanigans wrt travel and testing, especially the pre return test which is the real risk issue for many?

Given the news media output currently this Omicron thing is only going to get worse short term until they can conclude it's not going to cause mass hospitalisations. January appears it could be the worse time for numbers of infected spiking, so fair assumption there's zero chance of lifting restictions by then?

Rumours up here today (Scotland) are restrictions are going to get worse rather than ease - how holiday flights may be affected is a big unknown.

I am not enjoying reading all these current travel situation threads, a holiday is not meant to be that stressful!

Hanging onto hope I can get away but as things currently stand, really put off. I can't get refunds on flights and lift pass but i can delay them and wondering if that would be a smart move as I'm flexible with dates?

sorry for another thread, couldn't decide which of the other covid restriction related threads to stick this query in. Puzzled


Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 13-12-21 15:22; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Klammertime, mid Jan is normally much quieter in resort which I would see as massively advantageous, especially if you end up needing to do daily testing etc. Pushing in Feb you start coinciding with Feb school holidays.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Klammertime, and I agree the “feel” is we will get loads of new restrictions slammed on us in Jan. I can’t see Feb being any better sadly. In fact latest hinting is Christmas may not even be safe
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think everyone needs to work out what works for them.

With stuff like this, my personal approach is to go early, then I can fit
in as many attempts as is necessary to get through the disease and travel hassles.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I agree that it's probably better to stick with earlier dates. We're just back from a week in Cervinia and very thankful we went. Yes, all the tests were a hassle and extra holiday stress, but once on the slopes, in the mountains, it was all worth it. My view is, it's best to stick with any plans unless forced to give them up.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Assuming you are having your booster around now you will have more protection from picking up covid than later in the season. There will also be less chance of catching it in January when the slopes are quiet.

I would stick with your booking. If restrictions get so bad that you can't go in January the chances are your flight would be cancelled anyway and you could postpone it till March at that time.

Just make sure you have adequate insurance re: catching covid before or during the holiday.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I just don’t think postponing a booking is going to achieve anything right now, unless it is forced.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ok thanks, normal issue with early holiday is concern over snow quantity but this year that aspect looks fairly sorted already for a lot of the Alps.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What does an in-resort PCR test cost in France (ball park)? Some people on here must've had that this week past?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Klammertime, it was 44 euro in Tignes last week.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Our group have caned the trip in January, we were able to get car and hotel refunded; still have flights which could give us the option of a last second trip if the rules change for the better: which I doubt.
Its the pre return testing that does it for us, one pings, all stuck in France for god knows how long; just can not risk it.
Joys of all being self employed.
With the way drakeford and co are eying up restrictions for an expected peak of infection at the end of January, I am seriously doubtful of my planned family trip in early March; we can cancel accommodation up until 28th Feb for a full refund. WAG are now reviewing restrictions on a weekly basis; which just means they have trebled the number of opportunities to screw my plans over.
To be blunt, by new year, I expect my chances of skiing this season to be rapidly heading for zero.
Again.
For an added cherry on top, I`ve yet to be invited for my third jab (wales is invitation only), so in two weeks I will be "not fully vaccinated" as it will be over six months from second jab.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gämsbock wrote:
@Klammertime, it was 44 euro in Tignes last week.


good to know thanks
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In a sensible world where Omicron was the dominant variant everywhere (as it will very shortly in the UK and I guess across Western Europe by mid January) travel restrictions would not be considered a useful tool in managing the pandemic unless everywhere is going in to a wider lockdown. Not sure whether that means postponing a January trip is a wise choice or not, but for what it's worth I've cancelled my January flights to GVA and plan to drive back to France rather than flying. A bit more expensive but I think it keeps my options a little bit more open than relying on flights and other public transport.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've got a similar dilemma for a ski trip to CA at the beginning of January (2 1/2 weeks); I've managed to cancel the booked accommodation and lift tickets but am holding onto flights and car hire (as prices are now much higher). We've actually just got our skis and gear out to check today (as we're away for Christmas from this weekend), but I'm not convinced we're going.

Its made slightly easier as the snow conditions are pretty dire at the moment, but I know from previous trips that this can change very quickly. I'm holding off as long as I can, plus reviewing insurance policies as well. Driving to Europe last minute does seem a safer option and presumably cheaper so we might try that instead.

Sooo difficult weighing up the risks against the chance to go skiing after 2 years.... Confused SO much easier when the decision was taken for us in March 2020.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
was due to go to La Thuile at the end of jan but have decided to push back to Jan 2023. Sad.Apart from the testing required x 3 and the various PLF forms etc with the latest covid variant being more transmissible i dont want to get stuck overseas after a positive test Sad .Fingers crossed for march when my next trip is due.
latest report
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@Klammertime, Postponed our Christmas/ NY trip to St Anton until March, 2 reasons - I believe a world pandemic isn't helped by people travelling and potentially adding to the already delicate situation in tourist places like Tirol, people's health (including that of our own) imv is a far bigger consideration than our desire for a ski holiday, and secondly it's too much hassle, holidays are supposed to be a time of enjoyment not stress regards forms and restrictions, would rather go when it's a better time for being able to enjoy.

I know there's a counter-argument or 10 to the above, ie people need the money in resorts/ you can't put your life on hold/ I'm in my own car so how is that going to affect others/ i'm fully boosted (we are) etc but on reflection we think it's not right to travel right now and potentially put pressure on another countries health department if we got sick abroad.

Also got a busy January at work - don't want the risk of getting a positive test before return and spending ages in a dodgy hotel ay my own cost!
snow report



Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy