Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French quarantine

Poster: A snowHead
Trying to work out whether this trip is worth this risk. I’m due to go for two weeks from the 19th, flying in and out of Geneva. At present the requirement for PCR/LFT tests is acceptable.

My concern is catching Covid in France prior to my return. Obviously it prior to departing your test to return to the UK comes up positive then you will be required to isolate in France. Has anyone had any experience of this? Does insurance cover it? And then the return travel on completion of your isolation?

Everything I read is in legal jargon, even when I email these companies direct they won’t give a straight answer
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We travel on the 20th. Phoned my insurance yesterday who confirmed that we are covered for extended stay for £150 pp per night. Suggest giving yours a call to confirm
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Boarderfarce wrote:
We travel on the 20th. Phoned my insurance yesterday who confirmed that we are covered for extended stay for £150 pp per night. Suggest giving yours a call to confirm

Just out of curiosity, where are you planning to do the quarantine? If in your existing accomodation, what will you tell the people arriving on the following Saturday? Or you hope to find a new place to stay in that will accept covid +ve guests? Note also that any unvaccinated people in the party need to stay for 17 days in France if they cannot separate themselves from the index case.

I think that the resorts/local governments are going to have to come up with a plan for this...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@JamesHJ,
Quote:

the resorts/local governments are going to have to come up with a plan for this...

I think you are over-estimating the uk contingent arriving in Europe. Intra-Schengen travellers don't need to test. Our expectation is that most visitors to here will be from Schengen countries and therefore not pose much of a problem.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name wrote:
@JamesHJ,
Quote:

the resorts/local governments are going to have to come up with a plan for this...

I think you are over-estimating the uk contingent arriving in Europe. Intra-Schengen travellers don't need to test. Our expectation is that most visitors to here will be from Schengen countries and therefore not pose much of a problem.

I hope so! I think we are also at the stage that avoiding testing before departure is the best way to avoid these problems.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
JamesHJ wrote:
Boarderfarce wrote:

Just out of curiosity, where are you planning to do the quarantine? If in your existing accomodation, what will you tell the people arriving on the following Saturday? Or you hope to find a new place to stay in that will accept covid +ve guests? Note also that any unvaccinated people in the party need to stay for 17 days in France if they cannot separate themselves from the index case.

I think that the resorts/local governments are going to have to come up with a plan for this...

17 days?? So, this would apply to our 14 year old who has only had one vaccination?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
X5OT76 wrote:
JamesHJ wrote:
Boarderfarce wrote:

17 days?? So, this would apply to our 14 year old who has only had one vaccination?

A sibling was caught by all this in October. Fortunately (!), both their children also tested positive, which actually reduces the total time you need to stay in quarantine...

I don't know about the rules for partially vaccinated kids... Here is the link to the French site for contact cases:

https://www.ameli.fr/cote-d-or/assure/covid-19/comprendre-le-covid-19-se-proteger/en-cas-de-contact-avec-une-personne-malade-du-covid-19
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We have just given the bullet to a trip in January for this reason.
WAG floated the idea that they would be introducing "Day 8" PCR tests ( and they always stick a cherry on any borris regs. review is 10/12/21), which would have meant three of us would have needed 11 tests in total (4,4,3 each), for a five night trip. The risk of one getting pinged and dropping potentially all of us in quarantine, just isn`t worth it anymore.
Still have the EZjet flights, could do a last second guerilla trip if things change; but I don`t expect that to be likely.
Was due to be the kids first ski trip in March, I am not entirely hopeful for that one to happen.

That would be three seasons buggered by covid.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JamesHJ wrote:
Boarderfarce wrote:

Just out of curiosity, where are you planning to do the quarantine? If in your existing accommodation, what will you tell the people arriving on the following Saturday? Or you hope to find a new place to stay in that will accept covid +ve guests? Note also that any unvaccinated people in the party need to stay for 17 days in France if they cannot separate themselves from the index case.

I think you make a good point. For starters, I wouldn't stay in my current accommodation, but I would as a courtesy let the owner know that I had tested positive so that they could ensure a deep clean. I would look to relocate to an alternate "cheaper" premises. I would face a moral dilemma of whether to let those owners know in advance or whether I keep stum until I have checked in.

Part of me wonders though whether you do NHS LF tests before the official test to go home and if positive, just cancel/reschedule the official test, move to a one bed apartment/hotel room and subsist on home delivery take out for a couple of weeks until you test negative.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
This is where it all gets a bit messy. Trying to arrange travel etc to new accommodation knowing you are positive. I don’t think there are any provisions in place to assist with this. It’s very much a case of sort it out yourself.

It appears most insurances companies will cover the cost of accommodation which is a bonus. But actually sorting the faff will be the issue.

Aslong as the UK stick to LFTs being approved for pre flight travel then I think it will be ok. They seem to be more likely to give a negative. Not good in terms of virus control. But good in terms of being able to get home
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We've already talked this through, easier as driving. Plan would be go back to calais. Infected person would stay there until testing negative, then jump on a ferry as foot passenger. Unless it was my teen and one would stay with her.
All taking our laptops and teen is taking some school books.
If both drivers we will all stay in Calais.
Risk is low for us due to boosters and recent infections so planning for the worst and hoping for the best.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For apartment users: As I've said on the parallel thread, if you're in an apartment, then it may well be that the owner/rental agency would be perfectly happy for you to stay on in your current place. It's often the case that an agency is handling a whole batch of apartments in the same block(s) and doesn't allocate a specific one until clients actually turn up. So the next client will just be put somewhere else. Or worst case, they will often have a large enough portfolio of rental places that they'll be able to find something similar for you. Of course, you'll have to pay the commercial rate at the time, but then, that's the case wherever you go - and you may not have much of a choice. But a key issue is how you're going to handle getting groceries: in our block we have a concierge and when friends have had to stay on in our apartment because of illness, they've been happy to do some shopping for them. In these Covid times, I think that rental agencies should be making simiilar arrangements, even if there's a charge for it.

So this is why I think it's important to ask your TO or rental agency just what they plan to do in the event of a client being forcibly quarantined. If they're basically saying they're not going to help at all, then for me that'd be a big factor pushing towards cancellation.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jason123 wrote:
This is where it all gets a bit messy. Trying to arrange travel etc to new accommodation knowing you are positive. I don’t think there are any provisions in place to assist with this. It’s very much a case of sort it out yourself.

It appears most insurances companies will cover the cost of accommodation which is a bonus. But actually sorting the faff will be the issue.

Aslong as the UK stick to LFTs being approved for pre flight travel then I think it will be ok. They seem to be more likely to give a negative. Not good in terms of virus control. But good in terms of being able to get home

I will be in Meribel so my rough plan is to get off the mountain say to Moutiers and hole up there for the quarantine and then make my way home once clear.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Now I’m seeing the down side to booking a cheap Air BNB. I have two weeks planned, the first in Tignes and second in Morzine so at the moment I should only need to test towards the end of my week in Morzine prior to returning. Should be easy enough to book some additional accommodation, especially if the insurance will reimburse up to £150 a night. I feel convincing taxi/transfer companies to shuttle positive cases might be the trickiest element for those of us flying out.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Don't you need to PS to check in to a French Hotel?

How would a not fully vaxxed teen get a PS if testing positive?

I am guessing the vaxxed would still be fine checking in even if strictly speaking against guidelines?
ski holidays
Hi

We were due to travel out on the 19th Dec to La Plagne for a week. We have canned the trip as the thought of one (or all) of our family having to stay in isolation on the Continent over the remainder of the Christmas and New Year holiday was just too much of a risk. All that money would have been spent on going skiing at Christmas and the only memory would be of the isolation and all the stress of organising everything.

A real shame but until someone works out how to manage this properly going forward I can see the same thing happening year after year.
snow conditions
[quote="FrediKanoute]I think you make a good point. For starters, I wouldn't stay in my current accommodation, but I would as a courtesy let the owner know that I had tested positive so that they could ensure a deep clean. I would look to relocate to an alternate "cheaper" premises. I would face a moral dilemma of whether to let those owners know in advance or whether I keep stum until I have checked in.[/quote]

I suspect the owners of the original apartment would be legally required to inform the authorities of your positive test & the fact you were moving out.
Even if not, word would soon leak out - even if you 'dropped down the mountain' to cheaper premises.
snow report
Kenzie wrote:
[quote="FrediKanoute]I think you make a good point. For starters, I wouldn't stay in my current accommodation, but I would as a courtesy let the owner know that I had tested positive so that they could ensure a deep clean. I would look to relocate to an alternate "cheaper" premises. I would face a moral dilemma of whether to let those owners know in advance or whether I keep stum until I have checked in.

I suspect the owners of the original apartment would be legally required to inform the authorities of your positive test & the fact you were moving out.
Even if not, word would soon leak out - even if you 'dropped down the mountain' to cheaper premises.[/quote]

Fair point. Maybe my moral dilemma becomes one of necessity.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy