Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where would you buy????

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Kenzie wrote:
kitenski wrote:
@Mike Pow, we've done similar calculations, inc buying a winterised motor home! Another thought was perhaps doing seasonal rentals and changing each season once retired!

Split the difference - buy a nice apartment in an outlier village for one of the mega-resorts to use for two seasons, then let out to a trusted company (ie that you have come to know & trust from being in resort) for three seasons & do three seasons in three other resorts, then back to the apartment for two seasons & repeat.

Good strategy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BobinCH wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
How old are you?

My partner and I worked out that if we won £1 million on the lottery we wouldn't buy a place in the £500,000 to £1 million range.

You can get plenty of holidays for approx £500 per person per week (flight, transfer, accommodation, HB) depending where you go and when you book.

So we figured you could get 50 weeks holiday a year (50 x £1000) for 20 years for your £1 million at today's prices.

Even with price increases you should still be able to get 15 years of fun in

That would take me to 70 years of age.

If I checked out then , I'd be a happy boy.

Or put down 500k on a place, mortgage the rest, renovate it and then rent out the peak weeks to cover your costs and provide a nice ski holiday fund! After 15 years your 500k will be worth 1.5m so you can buy yourself a gold plated zimmer for your retirement!

Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BobinCH wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
How old are you?

My partner and I worked out that if we won £1 million on the lottery we wouldn't buy a place in the £500,000 to £1 million range.

You can get plenty of holidays for approx £500 per person per week (flight, transfer, accommodation, HB) depending where you go and when you book.

So we figured you could get 50 weeks holiday a year (50 x £1000) for 20 years for your £1 million at today's prices.

Or put down 500k on a place, mortgage the rest, renovate it and then rent out the peak weeks to cover your costs and provide a nice ski holiday fund! After 15 years your 500k will be worth 1.5m so you can buy yourself a gold plated zimmer for your retirement!

Works well providing your kids are not at a school age when you can only use it during peak holiday times which is situation we find ourselves in. We’ve chosen to to rent out as the non-peak rental income not really worth the hassle and costs.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

That won't seem so joyful a prospect when you're 69. wink

Yeah, "hope I die before I get old" isn't the anthem it used to be, is it?

Also: some folks feel they must go only to their little place and nowhere else, since they spent all that money. And for a few years, it may well be that way. But its ok to dance with multiple partners on this one. Its a big world. Seeing it makes your little place that much more special.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ozboy wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
How old are you?

Works well providing your kids are not at a school age when you can only use it during peak holiday times which is situation we find ourselves in. We’ve chosen to to rent out as the non-peak rental income not really worth the hassle and costs.

Rentals here are nuts this year. We keep on putting up prices and people keep booking. Someone booked our place at full rates for 6 weeks in Feb and March, and was willing to move out for the half term week. 25k buys quite a few weekend’s away! Certainly didn’t buy in Verbier as a financial investment but it’s turned out to be one of our best ones.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Excellent
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mike Pow wrote:
Excellent

Come and visit if they let you out of Wales!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BobinCH wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
Excellent

Come and visit if they let you out of Wales!

Thanks
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

That won't seem so joyful a prospect when you're 69. wink

Not when you're 60 either. Wink

I got past that "if I live to x0 year old..." way of thinking when I turned 30...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
BobinCH wrote:

Or just invest the money in a share portfolio that doesn't need renovation, maintenance, upkeep, utilities, property taxes, worrying about what damage tenants are doing, etc.

Dividends will pay for holidays in hotels wherever you want to go and capital growth may well outperform the current overheated alpine property market over the timespan, esp if climate change wreaks havoc with the winter season in the Alps!! snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@luigi, I think the OP wasn't looking for ideas for investment portfolios, but something that met lifestyle dreams.

To some extent it is an unanswerable question, big name ski resorts and value for money aren't entirely compatible wishes. But further research around "acceptable" ski resorts might lead to something.

I think it would need homing in on a specific area and then looking for opportunities. We met a couple in St Gervais* who were renovating what was for them the dream chalet - they had visited the locality several times before and knew their way around, and got to know some local estate agents (there happen to be a couple who are British, one of whom pops up occasionally on Snowheads). Having discussed exactly what they had in mind they were first in line to be phoned when something suitable came up, and they are very happy with a place which is liveable now but in desparate need of upgrading (and in their case, only a couple of hundred metres from a piste).

[*Not particularly recommending St Gervais which may not fit the bill, it's just that it's the area I have some knowledge of. By the way this couple reinforced the opinions aired above, builders in alpine regions are difficult to get and expensive, plus French building regulations add costs you may not have realised].
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BobinCH wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
How old are you?

Or take the £1m, buy 3 properties using a gearing ratio of 50% (so 3 x 600k properties), rent 2 out and use the proceeds of them to pay the mortgages. With a bit of luck the properties go up in value over a 20 year period and you sell two, repay the morgages on 3 and you have a free property
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy