Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where would you buy????

Poster: A snowHead
Just casting an eye to the future! If you could by an apartment somewhere to give you a fantastic ski resort in the winter but also somewhere that would be a useful summer getaway, where do you think represents the best value for money. So priority is on the skiing but somewhere you wouldn't mind going back to in the summer.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Zermatt
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Zermatt
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Zermatt
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Austria
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not sure Zermatt falls into the 'best value for money' category. Hard to argue if you've got a spare million or five lying around though...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I dont know if it is still the case but when we were looking to buy you were still allowed to smoke indoor in Austria & that was a big no for us.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Maybe a satellite/far edge resort that gives entry into a decent area so Vaujany for Alpe D'Huez, Vallandry or Plagne Montalbert for Paradiski, Westendorf for Kitzbuhel, Brixen for Ski Welt etc. Alternatively maybe look at resorts where Brits haven't pushed the prices right up, loads of other ski areas we don't visit that much eg. Les Sept Laux, Les Sybelles etc, not commenting on the areas just wondering if they may have a lower price per m.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Somewhere easy to travel to.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Zell am See - skiing on the Kitzsteinhorn glacier most of the year with plenty to do in the summer, including sailing on the lake.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
NZ Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jonny996 wrote:
I dont know if it is still the case but when we were looking to buy you were still allowed to smoke indoor in Austria & that was a big no for us.

No indoor smoking allowed now, at least not here in Vienna.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Coco wrote:
Just casting an eye to the future! If you could by an apartment somewhere to give you a fantastic ski resort in the winter but also somewhere that would be a useful summer getaway, where do you think represents the best value for money. So priority is on the skiing but somewhere you wouldn't mind going back to in the summer.

Everything is a trade off - combining "fantastic ski resort" with "best value for money" is hard enough. Add in the summer dimension and you make it trickier still. And what do you want to do in the summer? Water sports vs mountain biking would make a difference.

All that said, we were striking that balance when we bought and ended up with Les Contamines.
The explicit trade off for value for money and a lovely summer environment for hiking and mountaineering was the size of the ski area. We really like skiing in Les C and have been doing nearly all our skiing there for 8 years but even including the rest of the Evasion Mont Blanc (not linked but easily accessible by car) I would not describe it as a "fantastic ski resort". I think you need to really enjoy easily accessible off piste and a bit of ski touring to make it compelling in the long term. It is easy to get to by car and plane and inexpensive compared to top ski resorts.

For me, the ultimate year round resort is Chamonix but it is much busier and much more expensive.

If you favour mountain biking then Morzine makes sense. I don't know Serre Chevalier but Briancon always looked like a super option to me too.

Outside France, I'd consider Monte Rosa and Dolomites areas in Italy and Saas valley as well as Zermatt in Switzerland but VFM has to be an elastic concept!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jedster,
Quote:

For me, the ultimate year round resort is Chamonix but it is much busier and much more expensive.

If you favour mountain biking then Morzine makes sense. I don't know Serre Chevalier but Briancon always looked like a super option to me too.

Outside France, I'd consider Monte Rosa and Dolomites areas in Italy and Saas valley as well as Zermatt in Switzerland but VFM has to be an elastic concept!
+1 in every detail (except that I know nothing about mountain biking.) And to pick up an earlier point by rob@rar, Chamonix and Morzine are very easy to get to.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lech Laughing
ski holidays
@Coco, Your question is really too vague to answer. Are you asking where is the best skiing, where is the cheepest accommodation within 100m of a ski lift or 5km. In other words was is your mapping between accommodation costs and great skiing, whatever that is. Then you thow in the summer dimension. In my opinion most purpose built ski resorts a great in the summer, whereas others prefer the valleys. What activities do you want to do in the summer? As you can see many people here like mountain biking. Others, like me, like mountain climbing, rock climbing, via ferrata and just being high in the mountains.

There are too many variables to make a reccomendation.
latest report
As johnE says-the question is a bit too vague. I think I'd start with where I have liked to ski, then see what the summer offerings are. Some ski areas are quite low key for the summer, but they still have stuff going on. Others have alway had a much bigger summer season. My sense is that the French ski resorts (with some exceptions such as Chamonix and Morzine) are only just getting into they stride regarding summer tourism. We LOVE the Belleville valley in the summer. It really is more beautiful than the winter. There are definitely more restaurants open on the lower sides of the mountain than 5 years ago for example, plus more dedicated bike trails. But it's still quiet.
Don't discount the other seasons either-the autumn is stunning.
Big questions are: budget vs location and size of property; whether you are prepared to drive to and from slopes -say yes and it opens up much more.

NB-I think there are now more restrictions for non Eu residents buying in Austria-others may know more, but I think it depends on the property-either it comes with a permit or it doesn't.
snow conditions
Aspen or Jackson Hole. You did say you wanted value for your billions didn't you?
ski holidays
Nice mini chalet close to Yad Moss. https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/116153552#/?channel=RES_BUY

Best chance you'll actually be able to use it, irrespective of COVID restrictions.
ski holidays
}@rob@rar, Zermatt. Private jet to Sion, the helicopter up the Visp valley. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
if such a place existed, then everyone would buy there & push prices up.
All year round resorts are expensive for that reason.
snow report
Well we bought our little cabin near Mt Bachelor in Oregon. Obviously not close to you, but our criteria would be the same there as here: close to excellent skiing with reliable snow and a long season; loads of golf; small city nearby; everything else in the way of outdoor recreation except an ocean is right there; ability to rent it out to help cover the cost (that's what made it pencil for us when we were getting started).

It has to be in a place you can get to when you want to without it being an ordeal. If its a big hassle, you won't go.
latest report
With Mortgage interest rates available at 1% for a 10 year fix Switzerland isn’t as bad an investment as you might think. Although Covid has pushed up prices in sought after destinations by up to 50%. Quality will always be in demand.
ski holidays
twoodwar wrote:
}@rob@rar, Zermatt. Private jet to Sion, the helicopter up the Visp valley. Toofy Grin

Crap and hastle - why not to fly directly to Altiport in Courchevel?
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
With Mortgage interest rates available at 1% for a 10 year fix Switzerland isn’t as bad an investment as you might think. Although Covid has pushed up prices in sought after destinations by up to 50%. Quality will always be in demand.

depends how much deposit you need to secure the best rates!
ski holidays
DB wrote:
Zell am See - skiing on the Kitzsteinhorn glacier most of the year with plenty to do in the summer, including sailing on the lake.

Certainly a strong candidate, but second home ownership in Austria has become very difficult recently (and not because of Brexit).
latest report
@Mr.Egg, 40% on a second home as a starter
snow report
Probably Bourg St Maurice for me - easy access to Tarentaise resorts, with Valmorel and 3Valleys not too faraway. Lots of cycling (road and MTB) in summer, canoeing on the river, walking....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
@Mr.Egg, 40% on a second home as a starter

30% with BNP Paribas
ski holidays
How old are you?

My partner and I worked out that if we won £1 million on the lottery we wouldn't buy a place in the £500,000 to £1 million range.

You can get plenty of holidays for approx £500 per person per week (flight, transfer, accommodation, HB) depending where you go and when you book.

So we figured you could get 50 weeks holiday a year (50 x £1000) for 20 years for your £1 million at today's prices.

Even with price increases you should still be able to get 15 years of fun in

That would take me to 70 years of age.

If I checked out then , I'd be a happy boy.
ski holidays
Mike Pow wrote:
How old are you?

My partner and I worked out that if we won £1 million on the lottery we wouldn't buy a place in the £500,000 to £1 million range.

You can get plenty of holidays for approx £500 per person per week (flight, transfer, accommodation, HB) depending where you go and when you book.

So we figured you could get 50 weeks holiday a year (50 x £1000) for 20 years for your £1 million at today's prices.

I see a lot of sense in that idea, particularly as it allows you to travel extensively and avoids all of the maintenance/management issues. However, owning a second home enables you to leave a multitude of equipment and possessions in that home and also provides opportunities to be more part of a community. Also, you are left with something to pass down. It’s all down to personal preference.
snow report
Austrian Seagull wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
How old are you?

I see a lot of sense in that idea, particularly as it allows you to travel extensively and avoids all of the maintenance/management issues. However, owning a second home enables you to leave a multitude of equipment and possessions in that home and also provides opportunities to be more part of a community. Also, you are left with something to pass down. It’s all down to personal preference.

Absolutely
snow conditions
@Mike Pow, we've done similar calculations, inc buying a winterised motor home! Another thought was perhaps doing seasonal rentals and changing each season once retired!
latest report
kitenski wrote:
@Mike Pow, we've done similar calculations, inc buying a winterised motor home! Another thought was perhaps doing seasonal rentals and changing each season once retired!

Yep
ski holidays
Quote:

That won't seem so joyful a prospect when you're 69. wink
snow report
mooney058 wrote:
twoodwar wrote:

Crap and hastle - why not to fly directly to Altiport in Courchevel?

Because it is Courchevel!
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:

Split the difference - buy a nice apartment in an outlier village for one of the mega-resorts to use for two seasons, then let out to a trusted company (ie that you have come to know & trust from being in resort) for three seasons & do three seasons in three other resorts, then back to the apartment for two seasons & repeat.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

That won't seem so joyful a prospect when you're 69. wink

Smile
ski holidays
I think key is easy access for weekends skiing so being within 90 mins of a busy airport with multiple daily flights and good car rental etc is ideal.

Buying in a working village as you are generally below the tree line in a valley at around 1000m. Great for summer as many more facilities as well as some form of life for the inter seasons - The alps are amazing on October. Having access to local trades people for emergency repairs and quick jobs is mega important. Not being stuck on top of a mountain is important you enjoy cycling in summer so you are not having to ride a long climb to get home.

Future proof by having access to a higher ski area nearby if not already linked.
snow conditions
Mike Pow wrote:
How old are you?

Or put down 500k on a place, mortgage the rest, renovate it and then rent out the peak weeks to cover your costs and provide a nice ski holiday fund! After 15 years your 500k will be worth 1.5m so you can buy yourself a gold plated zimmer for your retirement!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy