Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pre Arrival Tests for England announced

Poster: A snowHead
Bergmeister wrote:
RichardB wrote:
tbh, I'm beyond done with this, that's four tests, FOUR tests I need to take for Canada and I miss up to 3 days skiing waiting for a negative result on arrival.

Understandable. Sledgehammer. Nut. etc etc

Wouldn't it be great if they invented a vaccine to avoid all of this hassle? Puzzled

Essentially what they’re saying is we’ve come nowhere in a year despite the vaccine rollout… and if that’s the case, I don’t see what changes next year or the year after… Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Snowsartre, you have to take a pre-flight test before your flight home, that's in addition to the day 2 test, it's ridiculous.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This has worked okay for us.

- Forthcoming trip to Finnish Lapland. I spoke to the hotel who said the airport (just 10 mins away) have a set up available to everyone for quick result PCR and Rapid Antigen tests.

- Arosa. The days 4 to 7 test to satisfy the Swiss, we’ll now time it to double up as the UK re-entry test results.

(We did these to ‘return to the UK’ tests in the summer in the Med, a seamless experience).

Yet more hurdles, but I think Sajid Javed/the scientists are wise to help prevent a repeat of past slowness. Perhaps Omicron won’t come to much for an overwhelmingly vaccinated population, we’ll find out more within 2 or 3 weeks.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Never did I think I'd be hitting new psychological lows 2yrs into the pandemic but with this announcement someone is going to have to scrape me off the floor.

The whole year the prospect of snowboarding this winter, reuniting with friends abroad and making use of my Magic Pass has kept me going more than anything else.

Now thanks to the testing nightmare it is so financially and logistically unfeasible I just can't see how I'll be strapping in within the foreseeable at all.

The fabulous snowy start to the season is just making it even worse.

The quicker this variant spreads and proves itself to be the soft-as-shite non pathogenic saviour that we all hope/expect it to be the better. Can anyone say anything please to cheer this despondent snowhead up??? Sad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well the return test can be a lateral flow which is dead easy to get in most french pharmacies and takes about 15 mins
It cost euro 25.01 (prices as at September)
Not great but best I can do Eh oh! Eh oh!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 4-12-21 21:43; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@RichardB, thank you - appreciate that - is it an LFT or PCR that is required for the pre-departure from Canada test (and is it 72/48/24 hours before take off?). Just about worth doing as hope to be away for two weeks.

Canada does not seem to have much availability of the 3hr PCR tests - all I could find was 900CADs Shocked and not Calgary airport (forgotten as wasn't relevant).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well the return test can be a lateral flow which is dead easy to get in most french pharmacies and takes about 15 mins
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hd wrote:
Never did I think I'd be hitting new psychological lows 2yrs into the pandemic but with this announcement someone is going to have to scrape me off the floor.

The whole year the prospect of snowboarding this winter, reuniting with friends abroad and making use of my Magic Pass has kept me going more than anything else.

Now thanks to the testing nightmare it is so financially and logistically unfeasible I just can't see how I'll be strapping in within the foreseeable at all.

The quicker this variant spreads and proves itself to be the soft-as-shite non pathogenic saviour that we all hope/expect it to be the better. Can anyone say anything please to cheer this despondent snowhead up??? Sad

Nope, sorry……I feel exactly the same way
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What are French rules if pre return LFT is positive?
Do I have to find a hotel to self isolate in for before I can return to the UK?
For how long?

I'm less concerned about the test than the consequences of the results.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Re hd's comment: another depressing aspect of all this is that as soon as the UK gov't agrees to a restriction, the people agitating for restrictions always want more. One of the rival politicians has already said, why give people 48 hours to get their pre- return test, why not make it more difficult than that?
And others say, let's have a day 8 test as well. And isolation in the meantime. You can't be too careful, there's a global pandemic permanently now.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hd,

We are all in the same boat. It's scandalous that it has come to this 2 years down the line. It makes me wonder why we have all bothered with the vaccine take up. rolling eyes

As I said earlier, I have been compliant with the rules to date but this is now the final straw that broke the camel's back.

Shapps says one thing one day then does another thing the next. Shocked How can anyone take this government seriously? Puzzled

You can rest assured that you are not alone.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arctic Roll wrote:
What are French rules if pre return LFT is positive?
Do I have to find a hotel to self isolate in for before I can return to the UK?
For how long?

I'm less concerned about the test than the consequences of the results.

Good point. We are all wondering the same thing Puzzled
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rjj501 wrote:
Joyceycat wrote:
Humph!

Due to pharmacies being closed the 48 hours before we come back on 3rd Jan through tunnel, we will be needing one (well 4) of those "take it with you and get them verified remotely" lateral flow tests I reckon.

Which are the most reliable and easy to use?

Thanks for recommendations

I swear by Medic Spot. They’re a little more expensive, but very quick turnaround for certs (even late at night)… and they give you a nice piece of card to place Your ID and test on. Haha

Thanks. £29 per Antigen test seems reasonable.

Out of interest, how do you relay information online on the sample to MedicSpot? Do they simply rely on you informing them of the result on the kit?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hd wrote:

Totally agree. This is devastating news. The consequences of a positive pre departure test ( even if a slim chance ) mean I’ll have to cancel my trips in jan and feb and my kids uni trip in December unless this total BS is reversed. Gutting, I was elated to book and totally trilled to be going
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
peerless ploughman wrote:
Re hd's comment: another depressing aspect of all this is that as soon as the UK gov't agrees to a restriction, the people agitating for restrictions always want more. One of the rival politicians has already said, why give people 48 hours to get their pre- return test, why not make it more difficult than that?
And others say, let's have a day 8 test as well. And isolation in the meantime. You can't be too careful, there's a global pandemic permanently now.

And rival ‘scientists’! BBC R5 this week inadvertently allowed a 20 minute monologue tirade from a London Uni academic on how the UK was THE Covid disaster zone this autumn and I quote “Unlike all of the rest of Europe”. Barely challenged. She angrily called for a full lockdown now, the closure of all schools, no visiting at Christmas, no travel in or out of the UK.
ski holidays
Snow&skifan wrote:
rjj501 wrote:
Joyceycat wrote:
Humph!

Due to pharmacies being closed the 48 hours before we come back on 3rd Jan through tunnel, we will be needing one (well 4) of those "take it with you and get them verified remotely" lateral flow tests I reckon.

Which are the most reliable and easy to use?

Thanks for recommendations

I swear by Medic Spot. They’re a little more expensive, but very quick turnaround for certs (even late at night)… and they give you a nice piece of card to place Your ID and test on. Haha

Thanks. £29 per Antigen test seems reasonable.

Out of interest, how do you relay information online on the sample to MedicSpot? Do they simply rely on you informing them of the result on the kit?

You place the completed test on a card with your ID. Snap a pic on the phone and upload it with a few details like passport number etc.. A few hours later you get a Fit to Fly certificate in your email.
latest report
Quick question on the go so apologies if already answered, is this instead of of the day 2,test on return?
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Quick question on the go so apologies if already answered, is this instead of of the day 2,test on return?
we should be so lucky. This is as well as the day 2 test
latest report
rob@rar wrote:

What do you think? That would be far too sensible.
latest report
rob@rar wrote:

As stated up thread, no, it's in addition.
snow report
These (return to UK) antigen tests can be self administered.

For what it's worth, apparently if you put the dropper solution straight on without a swab you still get -ve test Eh oh!

These tests are pure theatre. It's just SAGE/UK Gov showing they're doing the right thing (and/or an indirect way to donate to Tory party funds rolling eyes )

Don't let this latest thing stop your ski trip.
snow report
HilbertSpace wrote:

For what it's worth, apparently if you put the dropper solution straight on without a swab you still get -ve test Eh oh!

These tests are pure theatre. It's just SAGE/UK Gov showing they're doing the right thing (and/or an indirect way to donate to Tory party funds rolling eyes )

Apparently Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
HilbertSpace wrote:

Interesting. Which providers will thus work with ? Obviously wouldn’t work at pharmacy/ test centre or if video required.
snow report
Didn’t think it was possible to add any more to was wrong.
Family of 5 travelling Boxing Day .
Require 33 tests for a 1 week ski holiday.
Surely that had to be us out!

I can take eldest for his jab Tuesday and they will reduce us to the just the 27 tests,

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 4-12-21 22:51; edited 1 time in total
snow report
snowornever wrote:

Somebody on here yesterday posted showing 75 droid in resort. We need 17 of them now. So that’s costly!
snow conditions
r11s wrote:
HilbertSpace wrote:

Interesting. Which providers will thus work with ? Obviously wouldn’t work at pharmacy/ test centre or if video required.

Many of the return to UK antigen tests are self administered. Others like Qured require video link.

Must add I'm not advocating cheating tests... Just that this new regime is 'security theatre'.
ski holidays
Rednat5 wrote:
snowornever wrote:

Somebody on here yesterday posted showing 75 euros in resort. We need 17 of them now. So that’s costly!
latest report
I’d happily cheat this BS
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BBC news this evening featured an 'explanation' of the govt / public health reasoning for the new pre-travel testing.
Scientists have just advised that omicron may have a shorter incubation period than previous variants, and milder symptoms. Therefore people are less likely to realise they've got it, and so less likely to self isolate, and such cases wouldn't be detected. Therefore it is more of a threat. And therefore tougher action is needed to control it.
I wonder, if and when a variant comes along with a longer incubation period and more severe symptoms, would the same advisors advocate less action to control it.......
ski holidays
Despairing - this is never ending. Next year there will be a new variant and more hysteria. The joy of planning looking forward to something, normal life - permanently out of reach.
snow report
@peerless ploughman, so on that basis we need tighter restrictions for a variant that causes milder disease?

You couldn't make this up.
snow conditions
rjj501 wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
we should be so lucky. This is as well as the day 2 test
Oh joy.
ski holidays
Don't give up people. Be determined; the latest rules are just some hoops to jump through.

It will be worth it. It will!
ski holidays
Yeah the tests are inconvenient but our flights and hotel were so cheap because of the effect of the requirements ...so overall I don't think it is working out more expensive for us.

The risk and uncertainty of possibly testing positive abroad is not great but we got the best travel insurance we could which covers additional costs if this happens and we are lucky to have jobs where we could work from abroad. Taking our work stuff with us just in case and determined to try and make a go of it. It seems pretty crazy that it was easier to go to France in June 2020 though.
snow report
I honestly was all for the will be totally worth it view
But as a
Family this now takes us to 33 tests and over £1000 there has to be a limit and think we’ve reached it.

We’ve all just had covid, we’ve all had our vaccinations that we can. We’ve done everything we can and now 33 test!
5 x pre departure lft
5x pre return lft
5x day 2 pcr
6x daily lft x 3

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 4-12-21 23:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Rednat5 wrote:
I honestly was all for the will be totally worth it view
But as a
Family this now takes us to 33 tests and over £1000 there has to be a limit and think we’ve reached it.

We’ve all just had covid, we’ve all had our vaccinations that we can. We’ve done everything we can and now 33 test!
5 x pre departure lft
5x pre return lft
5x day 2 pcr
6x daily lft x 3
snow report
I too am a bit fecked off by this " Don't panic Mr Mainwareing!" attitude by the govt.

I think I'd be relatively content if they stuck to their guns re vax being the primary control or even be happy to take a lft every damn day if we could use our existing supplies. But the thought of this theatre and the prospect of being stranded outside the UK at own expense while each traveller funnels £100s into the pockets of Tory donors and other chancers really sticks in the craw.

And it's the prospect of this being a forever panic that really concerns. Sucking all the joy out of travel each time by layering on stress, cost, risk and uncertainty.
snow conditions
What a fcking shitshow
ski holidays
Apparently Scotland is nice at this time of year Laughing
latest report
HilbertSpace wrote:
Don't give up people. Be determined; the latest rules are just some hoops to jump through.

It will be worth it. It will!

As long as we don't test forking positive before we fly home.... rolling eyes
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy