Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pre Arrival Tests for England announced

Poster: A snowHead
@sheffskibod,
‘ who are we protecting, the unvaccinated’
No , you are protecting also the vaccinated, who are also at risk.
We cancelled a month skiing in France way back in October. It was obvious to us the ever changing hoops to jump through were not worth the stress; and we suspected it would get worse.
I really feel for people affected by this new testing policy .
For those trying to ‘ cheat’ the new tests entering the UK. Hypercritical somewhat
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Keep playing the game and keep lining pockets
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Perhaps a daft question - I booked an additional Lateral Flow test from Testing For All - of the unsupervised type. This is the same type I've booked for the way out and the way back in following yesterdays announcment.. Now I'm getting mixed messages on whether one or both need to be supervised.. Anybody know?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
susieski wrote:
Hypercritical somewhat

Just the opposite, I’d have thought.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We doing Canada on the 12th... I think its as below..
1.pcr on departure
1a. Register with ArrivCan to get a type of pass sanitaire
2. Pcr on arrival..isolate in hotel until result arrives.. upto 3 days !!!
3. Let before leaving Canada.
4. 2 day pcrtest..isolate til, negative result recieved..

So why did we bother to get vaccinated...???? Obviously not for travel anymore...just waiting now for xmas lock down now to put the tin hat on it all..... Smile Smile snowHead snowHead

Suspect my ski trip to France in Feb will, be cancelled as well
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
susieski wrote:
@sheffskibod,
‘ who are we protecting, the unvaccinated’
No , you are protecting also the vaccinated, who are also at risk.
We cancelled a month skiing in France way back in October. It was obvious to us the ever changing hoops to jump through were not worth the stress; and we suspected it would get worse.
I really feel for people affected by this new testing policy .
For those trying to ‘ cheat’ the new tests entering the UK. Hypercritical somewhat

Why do the vaccinated need protecting ?

At some point risk has to be assessed here - I wear a seatbelt when driving but I am fully aware I could be killed at any time …small risk.

I am aware as a vaccinated (and boosted) nearly 50 yr old - I might still catch covid and be poorly. But my risk of hospitalisation is vanishingly small.
I am unlikely to put any pressure on the NHS.

I am not a tinfoil hat wearing nutter but I do not see the logic in this now …

Unless covid mutates itself out of existence we are going to be stuck in a loop for ever.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rob@rar, re Eurotunnel - we're planning at stopping at the Eurofins Drive though on the Heathrow Southern Perimeter on the way home (Sun 19th) - assuming pre-train LFT being negative.

https://www.traveltesting.eurofins.co.uk/

I guess it depends which way round the M25 you go from Folkstone if that site is convenient!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sheffskibod, +1. The vaccinated (i.e. almost everyone) are as protected as they ever will be. Given Covid's not going anywhere, claiming people might still die despite vaccination is a recipe for endless restrictions.
Anyone saying 'You can never be too safe' might be a bit disappointed when, in a year or so's time when they are ready to take a holiday, there is no travel or tourist industry left.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 5-12-21 15:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arctic Roll wrote:
@rob@rar, re Eurotunnel - we're planning at stopping at the Eurofins Drive though on the Heathrow Southern Perimeter on the way home (Sun 19th) - assuming pre-train LFT being negative.

https://www.traveltesting.eurofins.co.uk/

I guess it depends which way round the M25 you go from Folkstone if that site is convenient!
Their Heathrow site closes at 7pm. I won't be able to get there by that time on Day 0.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@rob@rar, fairy nuff. We supposedly disembark the tunnel at 12:30 so have booked the 15:00 - 16:00 slot.

Anyone any experience of delays getting off the tunnel trains atm?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Crashnburn, Surely the easiest thing to do is get someone who is negative to take the test in the event yours is positive. That's is why we have children (think 'Withnail and I' and Withnail's method of disguising drink driving) Toofy Grin

Disclaimer - Skullie Skullie Skullie to do such a thing would be morally reprehensible and probably illegal; one might well end up killing others, but then the same is true of the asymptomatic who do not test several times a week and there a huge number of those - for example only 30-40% of my co-workers test twice a week as requested.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@yorkshirelad, also hoping to travel on 12 Jan Very Happy . Your second point is the most irksome as who wants to wait 3 days for a test result that might never come....?? Hopefully there will be some 3 hour PCR tests available over there by then. Ever changing testing requirements combined with the fact that every single one of 6 flights associated with the trip has been cancelled/ rescheduled meaning I have had to re-work the itinerary a million times. Furthermore, it is certain things will change again over the next 5 weeks and possibly not for the better.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Does this just effect arrivals into England as the title suggests or does it cover the whole UK?

I just booked a family Christmas Trip to La Thuile yesterday before this was announced. I live in Northern Ireland but the flight is from Dublin. Totally confused now!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@johnboy, I am fairly confident that this was being imposed on the Home Countries
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A number of people have wondered why they can’t use the LF tests provided free by the NHS instead of those ‘expensive’ versions from ‘private’ suppliers for their infection testing requirements for travel.
The reason is surely not because there is any real difference in how effective they are, but surely quite simply that those who cannot afford expensive foreign travel don’t want to subsidise those who can afford it.
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/1Paq17X6ucQ
ski holidays
RichardB wrote:
lynnecha wrote:
@RichardB, @Snowsartre, We are booked to travel to Banff in February, and we can just about see our way to travelling with the arrival tests although this could mean spending a 14 day holiday quarantined in the hotel...... but we are now thinking this, combined with the pre departure tests may scupper the trip altogether. If we test postive before departure, it seems we will have no accommodation as we will have to check out, and be stranded in Banff/Calgary for two weeks - at a quarantine hotel? If there is such a thing? I just can't see how it is realistic to travel given this situation could arise.....

The pre-departure implications are the same for France, I know, but somehow it seems more complicated to be stranded in Canada...... I suppose the questions are the same really.

How do you see it working?

I’m due to go to Whistler towards the end of next month, I think the PCR test before flying out is fair enough, the lateral flow test 2 days before return not a hardship and even the PCR day 2 release is doable for me with the leave I have booked from my job but the test you have to take on arrival into Canada makes the first test pretty much redundant and then the fact it can take 3 days to to come back to release you from isolation, it’s just adding unnecessary faff to travel and punishing those who want to adhere to the rules and get the vaccinations needed.

I am frankly sick of this whole situation.

So if the test before return is positive, what would you do at that point? - this is the part that is causing me to feel we are going to struggle to go. If the pre-departure test is positive, then we are stuck in Canada, with Covid, with no accommodation booking, for another two weeks. Like people are saying - it's not so much the logisitcs of the test, it's what to do if it is positive.
snow conditions
@jirac18, Thank you for posting this which is broadly very encouraging - do we know anything of Dr John Campbell's credentials as the interweb is full of quacks/ wackos espousing craziness online?
snow report
He’s no quack. He’s reported factually based on data throughout. Watch his channel and cross examine his findings and make you’re own mind up but no doubt in my mind he’s not espousing craziness, quite the opposite
ski holidays
@Snowsartre, for up to date discussion on Covid I suggest you have a look at the thread in Apres which includes informed discussion about the latest news from South Africa. It would be best to keep this thread for the very important question of pre-arrival tests.
snow report
@jirac18, Wasn't commenting negatively and I really, really hope he is right!

@pam w, Please post the link to that thread
ski holidays
Snowsartre wrote:
@jirac18, Wasn't commenting negatively and I really, really hope he is right!

@pam w, Please post the link to that thread

No worries I wasn’t being defensive to your comment.
Yes I’ll post it there now
ski holidays
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=150990
snow report
@jirac18,

Very interesting and it is encouraging that Omicron isn't causing proportionate deaths to positive cases. My worry though for the purpose of this new policy on testing is that Omicron becomes prevalent. I catch it while away, have no or mild symptoms but test positive so am stuck in a ski resort with no accommodation. It's a bloody mess. I booked yesterday before this was announced, and will now consider not going, but surley bookings will drop off a cliff now?
snow report
johnboy wrote:
@jirac18,

Very interesting and it is encouraging that Omicron isn't causing proportionate deaths to positive cases. My worry though for the purpose of this new policy on testing is that Omicron becomes prevalent. I catch it while away, have no or mild symptoms but test positive so am stuck in a ski resort with no accommodation. It's a bloody mess. I booked yesterday before this was announced, and will now consider not going, but surley bookings will drop off a cliff now?

Yes I agree, at some point it becomes akin to testing for common colds or seasonal flu, all of which can kill the wrong person at the wrong time but which in the main we’ve lived with forever without this drama. This all smacks of power and control and those who have gained it through the pandemic won’t want to relinquish it. The outcome of that is that it becomes a huge pain in the backside every time you want to go anywhere.
At some point surely we have to just “get on with it”! ?
ski holidays
@johnboy, the lady who looks after our apartment and manages many more has had many requests today for postponment and cancellation fro m British-based clients. TBH, your worries about a positive test in resort are also my worries, and I actually have somewhere to stay if that happens. Trouble is in normal times, these guests would be covered by travel insurance. Now the apartment owners and agents are taking the financial hit of the refunds. There is no lockdown, just an increase in the hoops we need to jump through in order to travel.
latest report
@jirac18,

Yeah, I would normally pretty conservative thinking in my attitude to this virus and controls and have happily towed the line. I just see no point to this particular control and it has caused so much uncertainty, unanswered questions and travel anxiety! Grrrrr
snow conditions
@johnboy, anxiety is through the roof here.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@johnboy, likewise I’ve taken a sensible approach throughout and done what’s been asked of me but tbh this latest series of ridiculous decisions have about pushed my patience too far.
snow conditions
@Hells Bells, I was intending to go out next weekend, do some much needed work as not visited since Aug 2020, leave car in Lyon and then return straight after New Years for a week, leave car again for son who is out after that, daughter after that, me again after that Smile 3rd. jab on Thursday so thought everything was set up. Last time I only ended up with a car in the wrong country for 5 months, this time it could be me, or any of us, as well rolling eyes Seems bizarre to me.
snow conditions
Hells Bells wrote:
@johnboy, the lady who looks after our apartment and manages many more has had many requests today for postponment and cancellation fro m British-based clients. TBH, your worries about a positive test in resort are also my worries, and I actually have somewhere to stay if that happens. Trouble is in normal times, these guests would be covered by travel insurance. Now the apartment owners and agents are taking the financial hit of the refunds. There is no lockdown, just an increase in the hoops we need to jump through in order to travel.

Have you heard anything about French mayors starting to plan? It seems to me that there will be large and fluctuating numbers of UK tourists stuck in ski towns this year. The close contact rules for omicron state that:

"compte-tenu de la dangerosité de ce variant, vous devez vous isoler immédiatement pour 7 jours (ou 17j si vous partagez son domicile), et ce même si vous êtes totalement vacciné"

Or:

"given the dangerousness of this variant, you must isolate yourself immediately for 7 days (or 17 days if you share your home), even if you are fully vaccinated"

I can easily see a resort grinding to a halt, with new arrivals or departing people effectively homeless. Even 1 % cases/contacts in a big resort means hundred of people. I just don't see this working without the local government sorting out quarantine accomodation and charging for it. Maybe they could put a local tax/insurance in place of €50 per person-week or something to pay for it? As long as there is pre-departure testing, it is certain that these problems will arise. Of course, the alternative is also not very attractive, given how ski tourists seeded COVID across Europe the first time around.

Edit: Note also the requirement for unvaccinated contacts (children!) for any variant to isolate for 7-days. This is the best case scenario, if the +ve case can be isolated. If not (because you live together), the unvaccinated positive contacts are obliged to quarantine for 17 days counting from the start of symptoms in the original case. A sibling and family got caught by this in the Autumn when visiting France. Not very funny Sad
ski holidays
Aside from the frustation we're all suffering from not being able to holiday, I'm struggling to sympathise with those who've booked holidays in full knowledge that testing regimes and quarantines were very likely to change and cause cancellation as we near winter. Seems very niaive.
ski holidays
@Csb123, not sure anyone has booked a skiing holiday thinking it would be risk free
ski holidays
What worries me is the new UK requirement to have a test in the last 48 hours of my holiday. I doubt if ski resorts have enough testing capacity to meet the increased demand. How can I book a testing slot at the time I book a holiday to ensure that I can return to UK?
latest report
Jehu wrote:
What worries me is the new UK requirement to have a test in the last 48 hours of my holiday. I doubt if ski resorts have enough testing capacity to meet the increased demand. How can I book a testing slot at the time I book a holiday to ensure that I can return to UK?

My understanding is you can take the test with you, I assume one of the fit to fly tests offered by numerous companys.
ski holidays
GottaCatchEmAll wrote:
Jehu wrote:

My understanding is you can take the test with you, I assume one of the fit to fly tests offered by numerous companys.

Thanks for that. I should have read the earlier part of the thread before asking. It will be interesting to see how skiers in resorts this week manage to solve the problem.
latest report
Csb123 wrote:
Aside from the frustation we're all suffering from not being able to holiday, I'm struggling to sympathise with those who've booked holidays in full knowledge that testing regimes and quarantines were very likely to change and cause cancellation as we near winter. Seems very niaive.

You could call it niaive but you could also consider its just folks wanting to have a life, a life with enjoyment and hard earned happiness after two years of real struggle. I'm sure everyone who has booked had in the back or maybe forefront of their mind that the regulations could change. Think the overwhelming sense I get from most SH's currently is that they don't really understand why or accept why the travel restrictions have been changed this time or having changed them why they can't now be relaxed again seeing as the new variant isn't killing people left right and centre.

One mans niaive is another mans ever hopeful
snow report
@Jehu, have a look here.
https://www.covid19-testing.org/pre-arrival-in-the-uk-antigen-test-providers

This will detail what is available. You simply take the test with you, then do the test and then send a picture.

On the way out I've used expresstest drive through in Glasgow and I'll probably use them again because you get a result in one hour, even when away and returning.
https://www.expresstest.co.uk/book-a-test/

Some test companies only want a picture of the LFT Then you get the certificate. Some want a video link (like zoom) to watch you doing it but you then you send a picture for confirmation of the result after 30 mins.
latest report
@Hells Bells, Do you know how long we’d have to stay in isolation should one, or both of us, test +ve before our planned return to UK? We’re both fully faxed (including booster). Have a week booked in Villeneuve in January, booked with Crystal. We’d be OK with all the testing but trying to cover all eventualities!
snow conditions
* vaxed even Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy