Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cost Of Tests As Percentage Of Flight Costs

Poster: A snowHead
In an idle moment I became curious as to how much we were racking up on the cost of tests.

So far we have spent £15 pp on redundant private LF tests, as we were in France when the rules changed and had to book PCRs. The PCR cost us £69 each.

And now we need another private test before our next trip (on Wednesday), followed by yet another PCR when we land. They will cost us a further £98 each (Cheaper LF pre-flight and PCR on return).

So two trips will have seen us spend £188 pp on flights and £182 pp (97% of flight costs) on tests Shocked

I'd still rather test than not ski - but this test admin, plus rearranging flights, is becoming a full time job! rolling eyes

Can anyone beat 97% Puzzled Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bergmeister wrote:
Possibly will next month. I have cheap flights with BA, £98 return LHR-GVA. If I have to do three PCR tests (pre-departure test before leaving UK; pre-return test before heading back to GVA for flight home; and then the Day-2 quarantine test in the UK) that might be getting on for 150% or more of the cost of my flight.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:
Possibly will next month. I have cheap flights with BA, £98 return LHR-GVA. If I have to do three PCR tests (pre-departure test before leaving UK; pre-return test before heading back to GVA for flight home; and then the Day-2 quarantine test in the UK) that might be getting on for 150% or more of the cost of my flight.

Impressive figures rob! Very Happy

That's the first I've seen about pre-return tests. Is that Geneva-only? Puzzled
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar,

Do your figures include luggage fees? Mine do. Level playing field and all that... wink Very Happy Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Is that Geneva-only?

No - all entries to UK.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bergmeister wrote:
I'm not 100% certain on this, but I think that anyone entering Switzerland currently needs to present a negative PCR test taken within the previous 48-hours. This would apply flying to GVA from the UK at the start of your holiday, and driving to GVA from France at the end of your holiday. There are exceptions to this requirement for regions close to the Swiss border, including Rhone Alps, but it's not entirely clear this is only for residents in those areas or for all people who start their journey in that area. I'm not transiting through GVA until early January so this won't be relevant for me for a few weeks yet, but I'm trying to follow the steady stream of rule changes to make sure I don't get caught out.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bergmeister wrote:
rob@rar,

Do your figures include luggage fees? Mine do. Level playing field and all that... wink Very Happy Toofy Grin
Laughing Hand luggage only for my flights, which are the cheapest I've had with BA in years.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bergmeister wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:

Impressive figures rob! Very Happy

It seems a bit of a moot point whether you need to do a PCR test to re-enter CH after less than 10 days in France. Travellers from border areas (ie Rhone Alps) are exempt from PCR tests, but there is an argument that if you left UK and went to France via GVA for a week you could be asked for another PCR on the way back into CH as you’ve been in the UK within the last 10 days.

In practice I think it’s very unlikely they’ll be checking as 90% of the traffic will be exempt. I’m not planning on doing another PCR unless I hear about people having a problem.

So I think each trip (until they change it) will be £139 for 2xPCRs. Which is probably between 140 and 200% of my flights as I bought flights ages ago. I don’t pay for seats/baggage as I have EJ Plus membership which costs me £200 a year but saves me roughly £50 each trip.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@pam w, when did the pre arrival tests for the UK begin?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rjj501 wrote:

There aren’t any? Labour having a chunter about it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
andy from embsay wrote:
It seems a bit of a moot point whether you need to do a PCR test to re-enter CH after less than 10 days in France. Travellers from border areas (ie Rhone Alps) are exempt from PCR tests, but there is an argument that if you left UK and went to France via GVA for a week you could be asked for another PCR on the way back into CH as you’ve been in the UK within the last 10 days.

In practice I think it’s very unlikely they’ll be checking as 90% of the traffic will be exempt. I’m not planning on doing another PCR unless I hear about people having a problem.
That's my plan as well, keep an eye on things and see if others are having a problem returning to GVA for the flight home. Has there been any clarification on whether it is travellers or residents from those border areas who are exempt?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@rob@rar, my interpretation is that anyone travelling FROM border areas are exempt and residents only travelling TO border areas (where they live) are exempt even when origin of flight is UK.

Swiss TravelCheck seems to agree with me. But I wouldn’t bet the farm on it.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@rob@rar, this q&a from yesterday looks pretty clear it’s anyone travelling from border areas.

https://www.newsd.admin.ch/newsd/message/attachments/69393.pdf?fbclid=IwAR27dBnmmm1_XLKXYB2cfFKm_WuFhdRfT_tk2pkA7HMZ7EDyajL_5cprD-s
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry - I caused totally unnecessary alarm.....as you were. I was thinking about the tests on arrival. It has to be done within 48 hours of arrival. Could be 12 hours before, perhaps?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Currently costed our tests at £1130
Flights £770
latest report
@andy from embsay, @rjj501, thanks, hope you're both right on that. My reading of the Swiss websites is the same as you, but it will be good to see this tested for real in the next few weeks.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Sorry - I caused totally unnecessary alarm.....as you were. I was thinking about the tests on arrival. It has to be done within 48 hours of arrival. Could be 12 hours before, perhaps?

Swiss test is 72hrs before, French is 48hrs. So we’re doing a PCR for CH and a backup 48hr antigen in case we get asked at the French border (unlikely at 11.30pm!)
latest report
rjj501 wrote:

That's also news to me. A bit of a blow! Sad
ski holidays
Bergmeister wrote:
rjj501 wrote:

They haven’t.
snow report
@andy from embsay,
Quote:

Bergmeister wrote:
rjj501 wrote:

That's also news to me. A bit of a blow!

They haven’t.

False alarm I think! So as it stands, it’s pre departure PCR to get to Switzerland and to get to the UK, nothing until you land and then a day 2 test in UK I think. There are exemptions for both, of course, but I suspect the Swiss exemptions can be ignored for a week or two (probably until the new year) when the airlines catch up with policy… which will doubtless have changed by then. It’s gonna be a long old winter.

But seeing as I’m here: this week, Weds to BRS then Sat to GVA cost me 39,90 CHF on the day bookings opened… I think I am using my day 2 arrival test on Thursday to also return to GVA. £80 PCR fit to fly at Cardiff City Stadium.

I’ve actually got an exemption from the day 2, but seeing as I’ll need one to get back to GVA, I may as well let the UK gov have a nosey and give them the PLF number.
snow report
Bergmeister wrote:
In an idle moment I became curious as to how much we were racking up on the cost of tests.

So far we have spent £15 pp on redundant private LF tests, as we were in France when the rules changed and had to book PCRs. The PCR cost us £69 each.

And now we need another private test before our next trip (on Wednesday), followed by yet another PCR when we land. They will cost us a further £98 each (Cheaper LF pre-flight and PCR on return).

So two trips will have seen us spend £188 pp on flights and £182 pp (97% of flight costs) on tests Shocked

I'd still rather test than not ski - but this test admin, plus rearranging flights, is becoming a full time job! rolling eyes

I just returned to Ireland from the UK. I had a PCR test which cost me £99. My Ryanair flight (no luggage at all) was approx £16. That's around about 620%.
ski holidays
Rednat5 wrote:
Currently costed our tests at £1130
Flights £770

That’s ridiculous
snow report
Flight £4.52. PCR test £40.
ski holidays
Bloody hell!

My 97% has been blown out of the water! Shocked Shocked

Some of those costs are outrageous! Sad
snow conditions
andy from embsay wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:
rjj501 wrote:

They haven’t.

They have now. FFS!
snow report
rjj501 wrote:
andy from embsay wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:
rjj501 wrote:

They haven’t.

They have now. FFS!

Have they? Announced today?

Ah - just seen it. 48hrs before.
snow conditions
Give it til the weekend before it’s back to Test to Release on Day 8.
snow report
Flights - £4 (plus a load of Avios)
Tests (including daily antigen for the two teens) - £943

23,575% of flight costs Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Return Flights to Toulouse £80 per person

Lateral flow in clinic £33
Lateral flow to take with us £22
PCR on return £55
snow conditions