Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS - Summary for Fully Vaccinated & Boosted People

Poster: A snowHead
@midgetbiker, Very good point (forgot about the 'where have you been in the last 10 days bit..)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
albob wrote:
paul9619 wrote:
What does this actually mean?

*Travellers from Rhone-Alpes are exempt from the Swiss locator form and do not need a Pre-Departure PCR Test*

Are we saying you have to actually live in Rhone-Alpes as a resident or is it for temporary travellers too?

https://www.fedlex.admin.ch/eli/cc/2021/380/en

"Art. 9a38 Exemptions from the test and quarantine requirement

persons who enter Switzerland from a region listed in Annex 1a, provided the country or region concerned is not listed in Annex 1 number 1."(annex 1a is a list of areas that border Switzerland)

The same applies to the Locator form - read section 3 in the above link

(the both just say "Enter the Country/Switzerland......)

Thanks Bob. I don't go until 15 Jan so hopefully there will be plenty of first hand experience by then
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not wanting to start another thread on travel tests, but...

Is it worth a feedback thread for LF test providers whose tests GET YOU THERE AND BACK, AND ON THE PASS SANITAIRE.?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Do any of the above mentioned lateral flow tests not test for the N protein. Was going to order Randox but can't find any reference to the N protein
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Charliegolf, sfaik:

Any UK private LFT gets you there and back;
no UK private LFT gets you TAC PS.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
midgetbiker wrote:
bobhitch wrote:
SO....
to leave france (4 day stay in Morzine) travelling to geneva airport to fly back to the uk am I correct in thinking that I would need a new PCR test done in france not later than 72 hours prior to the flight home and that a lateral flow test ( courtesy of local pharmacy) is not sufficient to enter Switzerland/Geneva airport.

If you're only there 4 days then yes I would say as your Swiss PLF will have to mention France and UK.

If someone is there over 10days then thier CH PLF will only say France, and if you can prove that is Rhone-Alps then there is some debate as to whether you need a test.

Console yourself with the fact the PCR for CH will also count as the test to return to UK (so long as less than 48hrs I think).

Swiss PLF doesn’s ask where you’ve been other than “where did your journey start?” - no mention of where you’ve been in last 10 days.

In parctice there’s no sign of anything being checked at the road border either way, including minibuses full of tourists.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@andy from embsay, really? I must be confusing it with the UK PLF.

No I can imagine that in practice nothing is getting checked at a border rammed full of cross border workers.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
midgetbiker wrote:
@andy from embsay, really? I must be confusing it with the UK PLF.

No I can imagine that in practice nothing is getting checked at a border rammed full of cross border workers.

Nope, just done mine and it just says where are you arriving from and where did you start from (to allow for transit flights).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
midgetbiker wrote:
@andy from embsay, really? I must be confusing it with the UK PLF.....

The Swiss travel check site does ask where you have been in the last 10 days
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
albob wrote:
midgetbiker wrote:
@andy from embsay, really? I must be confusing it with the UK PLF.....

The Swiss travel check site does ask where you have been in the last 10 days

Yes it does. But the PLF doesn’t.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Interestingly on the graphic on this page:

https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/empfehlungen-fuer-reisende/quarantaene-einreisende.html

It says if you're coming in from a border region you don't have to do the PLF anyway, and it says 'coming in from' not 'live in' or anything like that.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And when you think about it, then it is physically impossible to drive in from anywhere but a border region (that's what makes them border regions).

Implication therefore, no checks on road traffic entering. Puzzled
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm due to fly to France with Crystal next week and they have messaged me to say that the self-administered tests I booked with them through Chronomics will not be valid for entry into France. I know this is contrary to the guidance elsewhere, stating that they will be valid as long as they are certified by a private provider, but I guess that TUI will be gatekeeping who is and isn't allowed on the flight, and this is now in the official Crystal guidance: https://reptile.developmentpath.co.uk/crystal/resources/wp-content/uploads/Travel-local-COVID-19-requirements-81221-at-1135.pdf

"Selfadministered tests are not accepted so you'll need to book a medical
professional administered test – these are available through Randox
and Screen4, but you can also choose from the government’s list of
approved testing providers"

A huge mess, and a huge hassle, as our flight is early morning, we're working the day before, and the clinics near us are only open office hours. But I don't see that we have a choice. The Screen4 clinic (closest to us) also has punitive cancellation charges - even if Crystal cancel our holiday and we cancel our clinic appointment they'll charge us £60 in admin (for two adults and two kids).

It's the uncertainty and frequently moving goalposts that are the killer.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I may be incorrect - but, isn't the Randox lft done at home and results uploaded to the randox app (effectively 'self' amdinistered....)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
albob wrote:
I may be incorrect - but, isn't the Randox lft done at home and results uploaded to the randox app (effectively 'self' amdinistered....)

Depends what you book. The 'in-clinic' supervised option is more expensive (£30) and means driving to Stansted the day before, as we fly early.
latest report
Apols if this has already been covered (and I'm being thick) but how does this work for short trips/long weekends . . .I've got two booked Thurs-Mon trips in Jan, the first in France

Monday (15.30 earliest) - PCR Test

Thurs Depart UK / Arrive Geneva (15.30) France Thurs pm
Friday
Saturday
Sunday
Monday Depart France / Arrive UK Midday

On the basis of the above do the rules mean I'll need to take another PCR Test in resort on Friday at midday . . .? Madness! Is their an 'optimum' way of taking said tests to ensure worry free compliance . . .?
snow report
@Belch, outbound you need the PCR, inbound I'd hold off for now on a pre-travel PCR until some boots on the ground give feedback on the border into CH from Rhone-Alpes. You may be ok with just the pre-travel LFT that UK want for return (plus day2 PCR in UK).
ski holidays
@tccambs,

I'm not clear. Did Crystal contact you and say: "The Chronomics' tests you booked through us will not be valid for entry to France"? Or did they say "Self administered tests are not accepted so you'll need to book a medical
professional administered test – these are available through Randox and Screen4, but you can also choose from the government’s list of approved testing providers"?

I suspect they mean self-administered tests, for example free from the NHS with no third-party certification, are not acceptable whereas the farce of taking a photograph of a "negative" test, getting a company to certify it's negative and paying for the privilege is. I've got Randox tests sitting next to me that requires me to swab myself, upload a photograph of the test cassette and get a certificate. Is Chronomics not the same?
ski holidays
@midgetbiker, that's what I was inferring . . if I take the UK PCR / Test later / closer to departure will this cover me for the entire period so to speak - effectively double bubble?

Still confused . . .I'm double jabbed and boosted and have never had covid (even though the wife and 3x kids have!)

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 8-12-21 18:28; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@fuzzydunlop,

Chronomics is the same as that you describe, and I shared your understanding until the exchange below. On their website they are now suggesting randox IN CLINIC rather than at home tests. It's such a mess.

I asked them:
Can you confirm that the CHRONOMICS antigen (rapid flow) home test kits are valid for entry to France and return to the UK? They are listed top on your testing packages page, but I received a confusing e-mail from TUI this morning saying to book Klarity tests through the link manage my booking - there is no such link that I can see.

They replied:
France does not accept self administered tests, so you may want to go with a different test provider, you can find out more on entry and testing requirements here https://t.co/JlmulX6p0P this is updated during office hours as we get more information.
latest report
Belch wrote:
@midgetbiker, that's what I was inferring . . if I take the UK PCR / Test later / closer to departure will this cover me for the entire period so to speak - effectively double bubble?

Still confused . . .I'm double jabbed and boosted and have never had covid (even though the wife and 3x kids have!)

I don't think no matter how late you leave the pre-departure test it will cover you on the way back. There is currently a question mark over whether you need one on the way back for CH as entrants from border areas are exempt from testing and CH PLF. Rhone-Alpes is a border area, ergo you may not need a PCR (this will be tested by folks over the next few days/weeks). You will though need to comply with UK regs for return, a test before departure (can be cheap LFT if only for UK) and a private PCR in first 2 days back in UK (pre-booked and listed on UK PLF pre departure).
snow conditions
Thanks for the clarity - appreciate this is a moving target and come Jan it can change again . . .double testing seems daft for such a short time period but who am I to state whats daft or not . . . Very Happy
snow report
The wording has just been updated;

"Tests whose results are not certified by a laboratory (such as the self-administered tests provided free of charge by the NHS) are not considered valid for travel.

The NHS indicates that it will not carry out tests for travel purposes. Private entities offering the same service must therefore be used."

https://uk.ambafrance.org/COVID-19-rules-for-travel-between-France-and-the-UK-28918#t1-Travelling-from-the-UK-to-France
snow report
The french website has changed in the last 2 hours:-

https://uk.ambafrance.org/COVID-19-rules-for-travel-between-France-and-the-UK-28918#t1-Travelling-from-the-UK-to-France

We are allowed to carry out the test on ourselves and get it checked by the test provider.
ski holidays
Got to question why, it’s virtually saying the NHS tests are sub standard, this is discouraging travel by the back door.
snow report
The more i read this topic on this forum the more confused i get. Why can't every country just do the same and as for the costs and all the rip off merchant's out there fleecing people it just doesn't seem worth it. We are les gets in march and if all this is still required i will be considering whether it is all worth it.
snow report
welshflyer wrote:
The french website has changed in the last 2 hours:-

We are allowed to carry out the test on ourselves and get it checked by the test provider.

Well, I'll find out tomorrow at Eurotunnel. I did my LFT "fit to fly" test today, C19testing, neg result uploaded as per instructions and received .pdf certificate within 2 hours and It does not say self-administered.

NOW, does anybody know if this would be acceptable for the midweek 4-7 day Swiss test requirement which states PCR or Antigen??? Or will they insist on a visit to a Swiss test centre and a Swiss result? We have a Verbier trip in Jan and this could be a deal-breaker for me
snow report
@inspark, have you uploaded your docs (Vaccine passport, declaration of honour, LFT certificate) to the Eurotunnel website? I uploaded mine (for travel on Friday) this afternoon and got immediate valid checks for my vaccine passport and declaration of honour, but my LFT certificate said it needed manual confirmation and three hours later it is still pending. Wondering how long until it gets noted as valid?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@tccambs,

I share your concern and frustration. From the posts above it sounds as if our initial understanding was correct.
I agree with @Jonny996 but not because I think the NHS tests are substandard, I imagine that most of the tests use exactly the same technology. The whole system is based on trust and 'doing the right thing' in the circumstances. In the spirit of experiment I took two LFTs this afternoon. One involved the usual gagging and retching followed by the poke up the nose, for the second I simply put the specified two drops of buffer into the sample well on the second test cassette without any contact with me.
I didn't think I had covid so I was not surprised when the first test was negative. And the second test produced exactly the same result: the control line appeared after a few minutes and nothing else i.e. I was able to generate a negative test result and could have done so had I been positive for covid. The third party certification adds nothing that I can see to peoples' honesty but does add a great deal of dubious profit to the providers of the tests. In this case we might as well use any LFS and self-certificate (as that's all we are really doing anyway) and stop paying all these dodgy merchants in the middle.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
@inspark, have you uploaded your docs (Vaccine passport, declaration of honour, LFT certificate) to the Eurotunnel website?

I am travelling in a friend's vehicle who booked the tunnel and I don't have direct access to the booking. He has my .pdf documents to upload though. Even so I have it all printed out so it may end up as a manual check...
All a total PITA and pointless really, the only thing that should REALLY count is if you're vaccinated
ski holidays
@inspark, thanks. Hopefully it will all go smoothly.
snow conditions
@fuzzydunlop, NHS lateral flow tests aren't "free" of course, in Wales the estimate is that they have cost £8 per test.
latest report
fuzzydunlop wrote:
@tccambs, I imagine that most of the tests use exactly the same technology.
I was interested to see that the individual antigen tests which I received from c19testing.co.uk were from Flowflex, exactly the same as the tests which NHS supplies, but individual packs instead of packs of seven.
snow report
@BoardieK, No, clearly not. We are all paying for them. And then paying some Old Etonian's fast-track mates as well.
snow report
Javid has indicated that when Omicron becomes dominant, travel restrictions become pointless and will be rolled back.

Industry leaders are pushing for the rollback as soon as 20th December.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/travel-restrictions-sajid-javid-omicron-b1972668.html
latest report
Yes - not much point trying to keep up with everything at the moment, unless you are going somewhere in the next few days.
snow conditions
I like that article! I can't be that optimistic that the government will apply simple logic but I'm enjoying feeling hopeful for a change.
latest report
Timmycb5 wrote:
Javid has indicated that when Omicron becomes dominant, travel restrictions become pointless and will be rolled back.

Industry leaders are pushing for the rollback as soon as 20th December.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/travel-restrictions-sajid-javid-omicron-b1972668.html
Good. That makes much more sense to me than keeping travel bans for months and months. How long did the USA hang on to their travel ban, a year and a half? How much economic damage did that do, at a time when the dominant variant was circulating across the country as freely as it was everywhere else (when some States were enacting legislation to make it illegal to take measures to inhibit the spread).
ski holidays
Do kids need to do their own sworn statement or only adults?
latest report
@Timmycb5, that's positive . . .however it doesn't negate from our ex EU partners being d*cks . . . .
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy