Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel to Canada

Poster: A snowHead
It us that simple. You just have to crrtify that you can obtain essentials such ss food without leaving your room
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Saintsman wrote:
No, because you are quarantining in your hotel room, not hotel reception

Thanks done my form again , looks better now no ref warning at end .
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Saintsman,
Quote:

They want to see proof of infection. So if you don't have an NHS proof for them, you need a private test that says it's a PCR, date and time, location, and the provuder who as carried it out. Just the NHS email won't be enough

So, as children don't get anything other than a text and email, we should have got a private test done whilst they had tested positive on the NHS PCRs? So now there is no acceptable evidence, they will just have to do the testing as required?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't really get why some of our travel rules are in place. We are deciding whether our daughter should go to Big Sky for a race. If her return to canada pcr test is positive, she can't return to Canada until the 11th day. If she tests positive here she can go back to school after 5 days. Its all so widespread here that I am not sure the arrival test is really even doing anything. We have 58K active cases here in Alberta. But they aren't testing anyone but very select groups and aren't recording rapid test results even if you can get them. Based on analysis of wastewater, our chief medical officer has said our active cases could be ten times that, which means one in 8 people. They like the arrival test to test for new varients, but am not sure the benefits of the quarantine to result
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
weirdonorskie wrote:
@Saintsman,
Quote:

They want to see proof of infection. So if you don't have an NHS proof for them, you need a private test that says it's a PCR, date and time, location, and the provuder who as carried it out. Just the NHS email won't be enough

So, as children don't get anything other than a text and email, we should have got a private test done whilst they had tested positive on the NHS PCRs? So now there is no acceptable evidence, they will just have to do the testing as required?

As far as I can see, yes.

When didvthey test positive?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Managed to get to the Hotel in vancover last night, took ages to get through YVR, and that's with business class!!! ..passport station to register landing first though....Suitcases came through very quickly, skis took another 45 minutes. Airport then busy at 8pm, ..just when we collected our skis,!! long long queue to register for pcr test, wish I had pre registered as there were no excemptions either.... 100% tested.. you can try to register whilst in the queue, chap come round with a QR code to login, use airport WiFi...so have your place of stay details at hand, bit of a pain doing this in a moving queue with luggage..!! Once at the desk they give you your testing paper which you then go into the testing que...qued about 10 minutes....2 minutes of a job to be tested...then off on our way...must e costing Canada a fortune..must be at least 100 staff 24/7 doing testing...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looks like opposition is starting to rack up. 105K tests on fully vaccinated travellers in the week 19th-25th December, with a 2% positive rate (and I'm very surprised it was that high). By that point, symptomatic citizens across the country already couldn't get access to a PCR to confirm their status, CBC reporting this morning.

A cynic might suggest that it's the government's way of suppressing travel without actually closing the border and paying compensation to companies impacted

EDIT - and I've just seen that 6 Lifelabs testing sites in Vancouver and a further bunch nearby are either closed or running limited hours due to staffing shortages. Plenty of staff at YVR
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Saintsman, one in November, one early December and one over Xmas…
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
weirdonorskie wrote:
@Saintsman, one in November, one early December and one over Xmas…

The Christmas one has a high chance of testing positive on a PCR still. The others not so much. But there's a real risk that they all test positive on the 72 hour PCR, whcih would kill your plans dead - it could be worth testing all three now and crossing your fingers that they all test positive?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Saintsman, hmmm, that’s not a bad shout to be fair!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you do this, check with whoever is doing the testing that younget a detailed output for them - hou need a doc giving their name, Dob, tupe of test, location, date/time ofbtest, company performing the test, etc
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Saintsman wrote:
WASHOUT wrote:
Saintsman wrote:
Travel.gc.ca says "evidence" - so I think you need to present the actual positive test saying it was a PCR, the date, etc. If not from the NHS then a private test

I'm not sure that you'd want to come to Canada with a 9 year old anyway at the moment. Unless they're fully vaxed they can't attend ski school for the first 14 days in country, and a quick read of the rules implies they couldn't even go with you to a restaurant

@Staintsman can you confirm where you read this restrictions for a 9 year old kid? I thought it was from 12 years that they needed to show proof of vaccination? Read this bc government Web page and whistler blackcomb.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada#children

This is federal rules for entering Canada

That's slightly worrying, as our daughter's ski school have said that she's free to attend but we need to meet her for lunch as she can't go inside with the group.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just been informed that you have to book a table at ALL mountain restaurants on whistler./Blackcomb....you have ten minutes leyway before they give your table away... we never know where we will be at Lunch time.. Very Happy Very Happy might have to ski to bottom and do lunch in apartment.. another loss for local business..I'm sure they're not bothered
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's the resort stuff - so not really "local business" where they do that, and you can book right there if you want I think. I don't much like those places anyway, and they only have drip coffee at the moment too. On the plus side, you can guarantee there are no unvaxed people there. Except possibly in the bathrooms where you don't need id/ certs. The coffee shops in the village also require ID +vax certs and some of them have drinkable coffee. Well one.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
philwig wrote:
It's the resort stuff - so not really "local business" where they do that, and you can book right there if you want I think. I don't much like those places anyway, and they only have drip coffee at the moment too. On the plus side, you can guarantee there are no unvaxed people there. Except possibly in the bathrooms where you don't need id/ certs. The coffee shops in the village also require ID +vax certs and some of them have drinkable coffee. Well one.

would that be lift by any chance Toofy Grin
latest report
Trip update. Flew from LHR to YYC via FRA yesterday. All went smooth as clockwork.

On arrival neither I nor my travel companion (queued at separate desks) were selected for testing so no quarantine and no worries. Toofy Grin
snow report
yorkshirelad wrote:
Just been informed that you have to book a table at ALL mountain restaurants on whistler./Blackcomb....you have ten minutes leyway before they give your table away... we never know where we will be at Lunch time.. Very Happy Very Happy might have to ski to bottom and do lunch in apartment.. another loss for local business..I'm sure they're not bothered

It's literally just the big lodges, and even they have walk up space at the moment

The mountain is empty
ski holidays
Snowsartre wrote:
Trip update. Flew from LHR to YYC via FRA yesterday. All went smooth as clockwork.

On arrival neither I nor my travel companion (queued at separate desks) were selected for testing so no quarantine and no worries. Toofy Grin

Nice one, congratulations!

Look forward to hearing more of your trip!
latest report
Snowsartre wrote:

Congratulations. Had either of you pre-registered for testing?
snow conditions
Snowsartre wrote:

Yay. Did you deliberately queue at separate desks?
snow report
Interesting that at Vancouver they checked everyone last night but at Calgary today both you and your companion weren’t.
Do you think it was just luck or were they not doing many at Calgary?
snow conditions
Last time I was at Calgary, 5? Years ago, it was nearly empty. Big new international terminal to cope with about five flights a day.
snow report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Snowsartre wrote:

Yay. Did you deliberately queue at separate desks?

Mrs and miss narbs will be on Canadian passports and as miss narbs is under 12 she's a given for testing, so I assume Mrs narbs will be too.

Quite tempted to disown them and chance my arm on my own Laughing
ski holidays
@jebroni3_16, had opened an account with Switch Health but nothing more.

@VolklAttivaS5, there was a couple at the desk in front of me one was handed a test and the other wasn’t; the testing facility looked fairly full. Not a deliberate decision to be at separate desks but he got pulled aside after the kiosk printout asked a few questions and directed to reclaim. I went from kiosk to desk was asked a few questions and sent on my way. Very chilled day in Kelowna eating cake and planning for tomorrow.
snow report
@narbs,
Its pretty much 14 day quarantine for all unvaccinated/partially vaccinated kids.
Pretty sure that means no gondolas, no ski schools, no restaurants or any other busy places.

For Canadian kids it means no school for 2 weeks.
We abandoned our Red mountain detour via the US because of this.
latest report
@yorkshirelad,
Yeah, and the bookings are all gone unless you are on it at 7am!
The food is pretty pricey too, so your plan sounds like a better one
snow report
Saintsman wrote:
yorkshirelad wrote:

It's literally just the big lodges, and even they have walk up space at the moment

The mountain is empty

Thats because its monsoon season! Not like that a week or 2 back Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
stuarth wrote:
@narbs,
Its pretty much 14 day quarantine for all unvaccinated/partially vaccinated kids.
Pretty sure that means no gondolas, no ski schools, no restaurants or any other busy places.

For Canadian kids it means no school for 2 weeks.
We abandoned our Red mountain detour via the US because of this.

Not for under 12s - she's in ski school (although we have to take her to lunch each day) and can carry on as normal. Needs to mask up and take a Day 8 test but apart from that she's fine. Ski school confirmed today that she can ride the shuttle bus to/from Banff or LL as long as she wears a mask, no docs needed. I'll keep a copy of her passport with her to prove her age just in case.

'Unvaccinated children less than 12 years of age who enter Canada with a fully vaccinated parent, step-parent, guardian or tutor, are not required to quarantine if the child follows all the requirements for fully vaccinated travellers'

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/diseases-conditions/fully-vaccinated-travellers-without-covid-19-symptoms-returning-canada.html
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@narbs,

Quote:

Requirements for an unvaccinated child less than 12 years of age
For 14 days after arrival, the child must not:

attend school, camp or day care
attend a setting where they may have contact with vulnerable people (e.g., long-term care facility), including people who are immunocompromised, regardless of that person's vaccination status or public health measures
travel on crowded public transportation that does not ensure physical distancing and masking
attend large crowded settings, indoors or outdoors, such as an amusement park or sporting event

Quote:
Limit the child's contact with others

With respect, the ski school is not the one making or interpreting the rules.
How can you be on public transport (ie the shuttle bus) and meet any of those requirements?
How is a ski school not "school, camp, or daycare"?

I'm pretty aware of the consequences of these rules, because they would have applied to our under 12 even if we just transitted through the US to get back to BC from another part of BC (when there were no roads open).
No school, no ski training for 2 weeks (at both ends).
Instead we just decided it was not possible to go with our partially vaccinated under 12, though we could theoretically go now because there are (sort of) roads again so dont have to leave Canada

All round a pain, and for us we would not even have left our truck and therefore barely even stepped into a different country and definately not travelled in a plane for 10 hours, but still those are the rules. Sad
snow report
stuarth wrote:
@narbs,

Quote:

Requirements for an unvaccinated child less than 12 years of age
For 14 days after arrival, the child must not:

attend school, camp or day care
attend a setting where they may have contact with vulnerable people (e.g., long-term care facility), including people who are immunocompromised, regardless of that person's vaccination status or public health measures
travel on crowded public transportation that does not ensure physical distancing and masking
attend large crowded settings, indoors or outdoors, such as an amusement park or sporting event

Quote:
Limit the child's contact with others

With respect, the ski school is not the one making or interpreting the rules.
How can you be on public transport (ie the shuttle bus) and meet any of those requirements?
How is a ski school not "school, camp, or daycare"?

I'm pretty aware of the consequences of these rules, because they would have applied to our under 12 even if we just transitted through the US to get back to BC (when there were no roads open).
No school, no ski training for 2 weeks (at both ends).
Instead we just decided it was not possible to go with our partially vaccinated under 12, though we could theoretically go now because there are (sort of) roads again.

All round a pain, and for us we would not even have left our truck and therefore barely even stepped into a different country and definately not travelled in a plane for 10 hours, but still those are the rules. Sad

We asked these questions and were pointed to Alberta’s Restrictions Exemption Program. Ski school is classed as an Outdoor Group Activity so she’s free to participate. BC may of course have different rules.
snow conditions
Saintsman wrote:
Looks like opposition is starting to rack up. 105K tests on fully vaccinated travellers in the week 19th-25th December, with a 2% positive rate (and I'm very surprised it was that high). By that point, symptomatic citizens across the country already couldn't get access to a PCR to confirm their status, CBC reporting this morning.

This one?
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/travel-pcr-test-government-1.6311868
Seems pretty odd thing to carry on with to me too since the positivity rate on the tests they do at test centres here is > 20% Shocked
And thats just on the ones they do - advice here for most people now not to bother with testing. Would seem a better use of money to be able to test some of those people.
ski holidays
narbs wrote:

We asked these questions and were pointed to Alberta’s Restrictions Exemption Program. Ski school is classed as an Outdoor Group Activity so she’s free to participate. BC may of course have different rules.

These are federal rules not provincial.

The ski school exemptions would make sense as its outside, and frankly in my non-educated opinion, I wouldn't think your kids are really any more risk than Canadian kids.
latest report
@yorkshirelad, How are conditions? Hoping to be there next weekend in time for Pride!
latest report
Canada would be much better off with the type of system the UK had when I flew there end Sept. The Day 2 test booked through an approved supplier paid for by the traveller. People would then be able to get more rapid tests by paying more. Can't understand why we are paying for all these tests, especially when most people here can't access any kind of test
snow report
Snowsartre wrote:
@yorkshirelad, How are conditions? Hoping to be there next weekend in time for Pride!

He's still holed up in Vancouver I think.

Yesterday was WET; snowing in the Alpine but turned to rain halfway down to Emerald.

Today was quite a bit better - bit heavy underfoot, but fairly reasonable to ski all the way down. Nothing highj or the bowls open though, and we could do with the temp dropping by a good 4-5 degrees and some frsh snow
snow conditions
@gryphea yes, I dont get it either - I feel an email to my MP coming on.
snow conditions
@Snowsartre,

Very wet indeed at the bottom, some interesting/scary pictures of the roads Sad

I'm in Kicking Horse at the moment and its even warm here.

Supposed to cool down a bit next week, but not sure theres much snow in the forecast - think it all came over the last few weeks! snowHead
ski holidays
Bang on 24 hours for negative Pcr from YCR..
snow conditions
Snowsartre wrote:
@jebroni3_16, had opened an account with Switch Health but nothing more.

Thanks. Any idea whether the couple in front of you were on the same flight?

I was thinking that maybe those on flights direct from UK were more likely to get pulled than those flying from elsewhere (Frankfurt in your case) although I assume your travel documentation would presumably make no secret of the fact you'd started in UK

Either way, enjoy your trip and stay safe Little Angel
ski holidays
yorkshirelad wrote:
Bang on 24 hours for negative Pcr from YCR..

Happy days. When are you heading up?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy