Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel to Canada

Poster: A snowHead
i caught covid after returning from spain in october, but due to a cockup my PCR never got registered, so i have a LFT positive on my NHS app but not a PCR, would have been easy to get there and back to canada with the full positive PCR..as it was within the 182 days.. ...at the moment we have until the 28th december to prove positive to avoid all Travel testing, but cant seem to catch it...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@yorkshirelad, thanks for the info re PCR. Plan to drop the test in early on the 25th and they have until the afternoon flight of 27th so fingers crossed.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
anddmac wrote:
The Canadian Consulate used to have a bit on their UK site saying to email Public Health Authority Canada about whether an NHS result counts. They pulled it a while ago though. I emailed through about one of my kids' NHS results ages ago and just didn't get an answer.

For a bit more "officialdom" about it you can pay £150 for a "Proof of Recovery Certificate" from some private GPs. I'm just really wary on that front because worst case would be the airline accepts it but Canadian arrivals decide they don't like it, PCR you and you're then spending your holiday in quarantine. Our insurance covers us if we fail a PCR so I'm leaning towards just getting my daughter tested and hoping she's able to pass (assuming we don't cancel anyway).

Proof if recovery is not the same thing. That's a cert saying you had Covid and have recovered, not a PCR test showing you tested positive
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not strictly COVID related but I got refunded £30 by Crystal for the return flight now not being direct, I now have a 50 minute layover in Calgary but on the upside I arrive back into Heathrow an hour earlier, I prefer to get the M25 out of the way ASAP!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RichardB wrote:
Not strictly COVID related but I got refunded £30 by Crystal for the return flight now not being direct, I now have a 50 minute layover in Calgary but on the upside I arrive back into Heathrow an hour earlier, I prefer to get the M25 out of the way ASAP!

We had the same, £120 in total as it changed both way for both of us Eh oh!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Saintsman wrote:
Proof if recovery is not the same thing. That's a cert saying you had Covid and have recovered, not a PCR test showing you tested positive

Yes, but it’s an official looking document from a GP saying that you tested positive on a PCR - rather than a slightly janky looking NHS email (which is all I otherwise have for my daughter).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@anddmac, it’s should be on your nhs app along with vaccinations, that’s all I used when travelling to canada last year
Took a few days past the 14 required to show up but was and is still there now six months later
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dabber wrote:
@anddmac, it’s should be on your nhs app along with vaccinations, that’s all I used when travelling to canada last year
Took a few days past the 14 required to show up but was and is still there now six months later

Just so I'm clear - you used the NHS app positive PCR record to avoid taking a pre-departure PCR? And they accepted that?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Currently this is all the info on Canada.ca..

Who is exempt from arrival testingAlready recovered: Travellers who provide a positive COVID-19 molecular pre-entry test result, conducted at least 14 and no more than 180 days (starting January 15, 2022, between 10 and 180 days ago) before their scheduled flight or arrival at the land border crossing, are exempt from arrival testing (starting January 15, 2022, between 10 and 180 days ago)

So im still not sure if just showing then your NHS result on the app is sufficient..
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
yorkshirelad wrote:
Currently this is all the info on Canada.ca..

Who is exempt from arrival testingAlready recovered: Travellers who provide a positive COVID-19 molecular pre-entry test result, conducted at least 14 and no more than 180 days (starting January 15, 2022, between 10 and 180 days ago) before their scheduled flight or arrival at the land border crossing, are exempt from arrival testing (starting January 15, 2022, between 10 and 180 days ago)

So im still not sure if just showing then your NHS result on the app is sufficient..

It also details what an accepted test is and what info is required to be shown:

Accepted types of molecular tests
PCR - Polymerase chain reaction
Nucleic acid test (NAT) or Nucleic acid amplification test (NAATs)
Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP)
These tests use methods such as a nasopharyngeal (NP) swab, nose swab, or saliva sample.

Rapid antigen tests aren't accepted.
Other acceptable types of tests
Providing proof of your result
When you arrive at the border, you must present an accepted negative molecular test result (paper or electronic proof) or proof of a previous positive molecular test result taken between 14 and 180 days (starting January 15, 2022, between 10 and 180 days ago) that includes:

Traveller name and date of birth
Name and civic address of the laboratory/clinic/facility that administered the test
The date on which the test was taken
The type of test taken
The test result
Keep proof of your test results with you for the 14-day period that begins on the day you enter Canada.

The NHS test appears to pass these requirements EXCEPT for "Name and civic address of the laboratory/clinic/facility that administered the test". The NHS test just says "NHS Digital"

Niow if the NHS pass is acceptable I;m very happy - as my post isolation test reports positive, but my wife's reports negative. However we both have NHS positive certificates
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So we still don't know what they currently accept with regards to the NHS app
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The requirements for what is an acceptable cert haven't changed AFAIK - that's why I'm interested in @Dabber's claim.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
yorkshirelad wrote:
So we still don't know what they currently accept with regards to the NHS app

Exactly - and my positive is for a 9 year old so no NHS app for her, just a janky email that doesn’t meet the Canadian lab address requirement.

I’m too nervous to try and go ahead with that route as you’ve got to convince both the Airline before you board and the Canadian arrivals guy that it’s okay despite not meeting the strict requirements. Border control guy having a bad day and decides he won’t accept it and suddenly you’re finding out whether or not you can pass a PCR or else spending your holiday in quarantine.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Does anyone know why a positive PCR (i.e. proof of recovery) older than 14 days but less than 180 days means you are exempt from arrival testing? But if you are triple vaccinated with a booster older than 14 days ago but less than 180 days ago that doesn’t count? You have to have arrival testing.
If it’s the rules it’s the rules but I just thought, well why is one better than the other so to speak?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Does anyone know why a positive PCR (i.e. proof of recovery) older than 14 days but less than 180 days means you are exempt from arrival testing? But if you are triple vaccinated with a booster older than 14 days ago but less than 180 days ago that doesn’t count? You have to have arrival testing.
If it’s the rules it’s the rules but I just thought, well why is one better than the other so to speak?

It's nothing to do with immunity. You have a greater than 30% chance of testing positive on a PCR 30 days after you're clear of infection - the PCR will detect your body shedding dead particles. 180 days is pushing it a bit but there are recorded cases of it happening
snow report
@Saintsman, ohhh I see, it’s to save people quarantining unnecessarily.
snow conditions
It's so that people can actually travel. The rules here pre-date the on-arrival testing
ski holidays
Yep..get omicron at least 14 days before you travel..no testing either way....but we still not sure if the NHS app is allmyounedd to prove you've had it
latest report
@yorkshirelad, right ok. Thanks. It’s not something I’d considered as I’ve not tested positive once yet since the beginning.
ski holidays
The Duffy Lake is open to regular traffic again. It was all covered and there was more snow on the highways as far as Kamloops than usual. 97 is also open and fine.
snow report
@philwig,
Good to hear Smile
Astonishingly good work by the road crews in extra tough conditions - hats off to them!
snow conditions
@stuarth, are you planning to be in Whistler during the latter part of January? Could be a good time for a snowheads meet-up if more are in the area with late bookings!

This is all COVID pending of course.
latest report
@RichardB,
Yes, very likely. Do have to make a quick trip to Red around then as my son has a comp there, but should be in Whistler at some point too snowHead
All subject to COVID/roads not screwing things up further
latest report
@Saintsman, yes , with zero issues
snow report
Saintsman wrote:
The requirements for what is an acceptable cert haven't changed AFAIK - that's why I'm interested in @Dabber's claim.

It’s not a claim , it’s fact I’ve travelled to Vancouver twice using the positive test and double jab on the nhs with no issues
snow conditions
Dabber wrote:
@Saintsman, yes , with zero issues

Thanks, extremely interesting ande opens up some options for me
ski holidays
My main issue / concern was on return to the Uk finding a LFT in Vancouver that complied with Uk requirements as was worried that the PCR test would be positive , but as in the end had to take a PCR and it was negative ( approx 60 days after infection)
Canadian test providers at the time didn’t offer the LFT , I’m sure things have moved on since September
ski holidays
Cheapest way to get an LFT to return is to buy in the UK and take it with you.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Saintsman, I did find it very useful to print everything off and have all the paper work in order , as at both departure and arrival all staff were extremely stressed by the whole process so swiping through phones etc seemed difficult to manage
I’m sure things are a little more fluid now as more flights are running
Coming back to Uk no one checked any papers at all on our last trip
latest report
Saintsman wrote:
Cheapest way to get an LFT to return is to buy in the UK and take it with you.

Wasn’t an option at the time , but definitely the way to go now
snow report
Oh, don't worry, I'm printing and laminating EVERYTHING for both me and the missus. Probably in duplicate as well.

ArriveCAN receipts, ETA, Vax certs, PCR positives, we will both do a 72 hour test as well just in case to give ourselves cover, you name it.
snow report
Good move !!!
ski holidays
Make sure you have a printed vaccine QR code with you.. as the screenshot ones don't usefully work (didn't in france anyway)
snow conditions
I always take a few copies of my NHS Covid pass in case my phone breaks or something. Well worth it. If you keep one folded up in your purse or wallet it stays quite nice even without laminating it.
I’ve added a 3rd week on my trip to Banff in March and sacked off a week long trip to Italy in Feb. It’s actually cheaper even with the lift pass included and only one set of tests to and from to pay for too. Just hope nothing goes wrong and we are still allowed in by then. I’d have thought so…..
I figured for the possibility of powder days and the type of skiing I like to do that extra week in Banff is a better bet. That’s the thing with the Alps, powder days are few and far between unless you are out there for a few months and can seize the opportunities when it dumps.
By the way anyone needing a pre departure PCR or one on the return mine done at ExpressTest at T4 Heathrow drive through was good, from swab taken to certificate in my hand was 28 hours even on Christmas Eve. No messing getting it done either I was in and out of there in 15 minutes.
snow conditions
Now it might be lack of flights stopping me getting there. !!
Merry xmas..
snow report
Yeah, I got an AC message asking me to confirm I was intending to fly. Just accept the challenge and roll with the punches - lots of ways to get to YVR indirectly, but don;t expect your skis to make it on the same flights
snow conditions
Yeah, I'm half expecting my skis not to turn up in Heathrow on the return flight (50 minute lay over in Calgary), less weight in my car on the way home if it should happen!
snow report
Is Air Canada really THAT bad with luggage/skis?! Shocked

I’ll be writing our name and contact details all over the Sportube…and it’s bright Orange!
ski holidays
For direct flights they're fine. Anything involving a connection that includes oversized luggage is begging for trouble with ANY airline
snow report
dalehernando wrote:
Is Air Canada really THAT bad with luggage/skis?! Shocked

I’ll be writing our name and contact details all over the Sportube…and it’s bright Orange!

My skis did not turn up on either journey when I went to Calgary with them for Banff due to having a connecting flight from Newcastle to Heathrow, I decided to drive down to Heathrow instead the following year and had no issues with skis turning up.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy