Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel to Canada

Poster: A snowHead
toyah807 wrote:
Sorry if i have missed this (in this thread or my reading of Can rules) but if you have a connecting flight do you have to book your arrival test and have your quarantine plan looked at at the first place you land or can it be at your final destination? I think my son has about 2 hours in Vancouver before flying on to Kelowna. It would certainly pass the time at Vancouver to sort the test but I assume it will be busy, making a specific time slot might be a challenge and there are plenty of appointments at Kelowna so Kelowna would seem a smoother option!

Your test is "booked" at your point of entry to Canada. However you're allowed to travel to your isolation.

So for your son, he has a two options but I'm not sure if they will actually both be presented to them. Option 1 is to take the test then and there in person. This will likely result in the fastest result. Option 2 will be that he is given a test to take at home and drop in the post.

Either way, he just needs to put his isolation address in ArriveCAN.

The whole point of the process is that you are intercepted on your exit from immigration, so you have no chance of "skipping" the testing requirement. His flight to Kelowna will be domestic, so he wouldn't get automatically pushed into the queue
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snowsartre wrote:
Why then do airports offer private testing?

Just about all big airports have private testing sites for outbound travelers, whose destination country requires negative test to enter.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@dalehernando, @toyah807, under the old system you had to test and quarantine ( 3 day hotel )at the point of entry until receiving a negative result until carrying on with journey wether that be connecting flight or road transit .
new rules state :-
" you must take the arrival test as directed on the day you enter Canada. The test may be administered at the airport or you may receive a self-swab kit to complete within 24 hours of entering Canada
Don't have to wait for the results, you can travel on to your final destination, including taking connecting flights
Don’t have to quarantine while waiting for your results"

so therefore you will be given an onsite test at Vancouver or a self test kit at Vancouver as you have to clear immigration at point of entry into canada and if they allowed you through with no test you could avoid it completely on the domestic leg of your journey
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Dabber, great! Thank you.

I would imagine by the time/if we fly on Jan 1st, they should be up to 100% testing.

Checking everything daily, so let's see...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@dalehernando, we've done this three times during covid , and no real issues just have to be patient , always worth the effort Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Dabber, how long have you queued up for the testing bit, I’m just thinking if I allow an extra hour and half on top of the usual for baggage collection before the transfer bus booking time that should be enough should it?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Flying out today. Wish us luck!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Dabber, this will be my first time skiing in Canada, my wife has been quite a few times and tells me I won't want to come back!

@Arno, Good luck! Let us know how it goes!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Arno, good luck and great skiing ,sounds like a good start to the season !!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@VolklAttivaS5, sounds about right , was less flights when I was last out , but baggage inc skis ( which are always slower ) and testing should take 2hrs max from landing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@dalehernando, that’s what happened to me , went first time in 2006 ,bought first place there in 2011, and if wasn’t for work would have never come home , the skiing is awesome but the biking is even better
Have fun !!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Good luck @Arno. Conditions look absolutely perfect at the moment
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What test are we having to use to get back to the uk.? Is it One of those lft ones that you send a photo of your passport etc. .?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yep

Current rules to return to UK

1 - LFT result authenticated by a UK authorised lab with ID. They cost around £20 if you buy them in the UK and take them with you
2 - A confirmed booking for a day 2 PCR test
3 - Completed PLF
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
And going out...the PCR test is one you do at home and send off...OR a witnessed one at a walk site?
snow conditions
Officially, it should be witnessed at a pharmacy/walk in site/over video. In practise, I don;t understand how they could tell the difference. Most F2F tests don't say which they are
ski holidays
Dabber wrote:
@VolklAttivaS5, sounds about right , was less flights when I was last out , but baggage inc skis ( which are always slower ) and testing should take 2hrs max from landing

Thanks. Yeah I usually allow an hour after landing to get skis and luggage so will allow another hour on top.
I think I might extend my Banff DIY trip to 2.5 weeks instead of 2 weeks to allow a bit of time at the beginning for any staying in guff. Particularly as Air Canada do Wed and Sat flights to Calgary.

I went to Canada for the first time last March 2020 again DIY and by heck it was worth it Laughing
ski holidays
@ saintsman is that correct you can buy a test and take with you for way home ? Is it over video call and do you get an email with results. Certainly less expensive than purchase In Canada by the look of things
latest report
Try this list of providers:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/how-to-find-the-cheapest-private-coronavirus-tests-for-travel/#prearrival

Basically it's a pre-packed LFT with barcodes etc. You register the barcode online, perform the test, take a photo of it with your open passport, and submit to them. They validate and return to you. The whole process is massively open to abuse and therefore pointless, but it's as per government requirements.

Stupendously cheaper than anything you can get in Canada for flying to UK, especially in resort (cheapest I could find in Whistler was around $150CAD per person)
snow report
In a rush, but went through this yesterday. Snowboards slow to appear in the arrivals as usual, so by the time you get to it, the line-up for "customs" is now the full length of the hall, unless you're on hand baggage in which case you'd sail through. All UK arrivals were being marked T. You all stand in one line up for "customs", they look at the receipt you have from the machines and direct you do your queue (A for test). There are then 2 queues - one for pre-registered, one for others. However the "pre-registered people" all were not, except for us thanks to this thread. You all have to stand in line, and that took... a long time. Eventually we hit the front, and sailed past the others to be tested, a 2 minute job and the gentlest ever. Results.... within 1..3 days, and text as known for quarantine, but my fligh this evening is ok to take anyway. Burned maybe 30 minutes waiting for snowboards, another hour with the testing business.... took 1.5 hours more than it could have.

Relaxed is the only way to be with this though.
snow conditions
@Dabber, really helpful and reassuring too. They are there for a month so willing to do whatever it takes to keep safe/ ArriveCan happy.......
latest report
@philwig, thanks for info! Let us know how long the results took to get to you it you can snowHead
ski holidays
@philwig, was this Calgary or Vancouver?
snow report
@philwig, Cheers for the info!

@VolklAttivaS5, Looking at previous posts, I believe this was Vancouver.
latest report
@philwig, sorry if I’m being a nitwit here but what do you mean
“ There are then 2 queues - one for pre-registered, one for others. However the "pre-registered people" all were not, except for us thanks to this thread”

Are you saying the people in the pre-registered queue weren’t even pre-registered?
Sounds like it’s worth doing if they are testing everyone off a UK flight anyway.
snow report
A bit of an update, which doesn't have an effect on travel from the UK, but Canada is removing countries from their Red List.

"Canada is increasing testing requirements for international travelers and dropping its travel ban on flights from 10 African countries as the government tries to quash the spread of the highly transmissible Omicron variant.

Starting Tuesday, all travelers will once again need to get a COVID-19 molecular test before returning to Canada. The announcement from Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos rolls back an exemption announced last month that fully vaccinated Canadians and permanent residents taking short trips abroad, under 72 hours, wouldn't need proof of a negative test before returning home."
latest report
@philwig, looking forward to testing this out tonight :/
The only thing this thread didn’t remind me of was getting out etas but thankfully they come through pretty much immediately when you apply at the airport.
Only a little skiing for me - main thing is seeing family
snow conditions
We arrived on the BA flight into Vancouver last night about 830pm local [delayed leaving LHR]. All straightforward enough through the machines, the queue, and the border agent who wrote the dreaded T on the slip that comes out of the machine. Down the Covid Test channel, to the registration desk, no queues. Desk person pleasantly surprised that we had pre-booked, but it still took a fair few key strokes before we were handed a piece of paper each, down another channel. A large number of testing booths with testers out front, but very few people getting tested.

Shuttle to our hotel in Whistler, and in quarantine until the all clear arrived about noon local. So, all in all, not too bad an experience.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@wittenham, ooh that was quick getting your result. Great.

What’s the machines you speak of? I’ve only been to Calgary Airport once but I can’t remember any machines?
ski holidays
@wittenham, did you take food with you to eat in the room whilst you were waiting for the result as I take it you have to stay in the actual room not go to the breakfast room or anywhere else within the hotel?
snow report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

What’s the machines you speak of? I’ve only been to Calgary Airport once but I can’t remember any machines?

I mean the passport scanning machines at immigration that usually malfunction and/or take several iterations to get right. They spit out a piece of paper that you carry around with you showing various officials. Warning: don't slather on the hand gel before grasping the paper...
latest report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@wittenham, did you take food with you to eat in the room whilst you were waiting for the result as I take it you have to stay in the actual room not go to the breakfast room or anywhere else within the hotel?

The rules say you cannot leave your room. I arranged a second mortgage before leaving the UK and ordered food from these guys: https://whistlerdelivery.ca/product-category/groceries/ which was delivered to the room before we arrived. I think there might be other delivery services as well. Plus, there are the usual deliveroo-type services in whistler. Hopefully your room has some facilities, and you could always bring a coffee press, coffee, tea, whatever with you.
snow report
Good timing for the snowheads who have so far made it (as long as you get out of quarantine soon!)
Plenty of snow on the way, and it's snowing in north van, so should be decent.
I'll probably be around in the village Sunday, if you're stuck and need something (ie teabags, not a Lamborghini or heliskiing trip, etc.. wink ), give me a shout, and I'll see if I can help with that
snow report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
...Are you saying the people in the pre-registered queue weren’t even pre-registered?
Sounds like it’s worth doing if they are testing everyone off a UK flight anyway.
Yes and yes, in my view. People were confused, or they just went to the slightly shorter queue, they were in my way but we all got there in the end.

Results came in 11:46 local time next day. You don't need them for onward travel including internal air, nor do you need them for bars and restaurants.

---
One local heli operator just closed down for two weeks as they have Covid.
Canadians have brilliant vaccine certification checks - anti vaxers not welcome, and mask wearing is good.
However they do seem a bit relaxed - lots of xmas parties in Earl's this lunchtime for example, not sure I'll take that risk again.
snow conditions
wittenham wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

I mean the passport scanning machines at immigration that usually malfunction and/or take several iterations to get right. They spit out a piece of paper that you carry around with you showing various officials. Warning: don't slather on the hand gel before grasping the paper...

Ohhhh! Ok thanks.
latest report
@philwig, I’d be happy with that turnaround on the result, after all you can just stay in bed and sleep until you get it through!
snow report
We didn’t have to get tested or isolate. Not sure if that was pure luck or down to us having a Canadian citizen (Mrs Arno) and a toddler with us.

As usual, baggage reclaim was pretty slow. Otherwise it all went pretty smoothly.

Rumour is that they will be testing all passengers from Tuesday
ski holidays
Two of the three of our party are dual Can-Brit citizens but we still got pulled.
snow report
My destination has Covid, so slumming it in Whistler, where it dumped vast amounts of snow last night and this morning. Big days coming..
Chest deep today.
latest report
Just arrived in Calgary.

Straight through the automatic immigration machines and then the border agent in less than 5 mins. Didn’t get asked to show ArriveCAN or get asked to perform a test or isolate.

Had to wait about 45 mins for bags to arrive which was a bit nervous as my transfer had a deadline and I wasn’t sure I was going to make it. Would have been a $600 cab to Fernie on my own otherwise.

Showed the guards the paper slip on the way out of baggage and straight through to the arrivals lounge.

Ecstatic!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy