Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel to Canada

Poster: A snowHead
You need an NHS PCR test. That will register in the app as a "Certificate of Recovery". You will also have received an email confirming your positive test. The two in conjunction are what you need, just tick the right box in Arrivecan when you upload your vaccination records as well
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Saintsman wrote:
You need an NHS PCR test. That will register in the app as a "Certificate of Recovery". You will also have received an email confirming your positive test. The two in conjunction are what you need, just tick the right box in Arrivecan when you upload your vaccination records as well

That’s the info I needed - and why SHs is so much better than the internet at large Wink

Thank you. It was an NHS PCR that I took, just need to wait for a couple of days for it to show in my NHS app, but want to get on with rearranging travel…

Thanks again,
Ms T.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mistress Twerkle wrote:
Saintsman wrote:

That’s the info I needed - and why SHs is so much better than the internet at large Wink

Thank you. It was an NHS PCR that I took, just need to wait for a couple of days for it to show in my NHS app, but want to get on with rearranging travel…

Thanks again,
Ms T.

We provided the same for our trip this month. The email from the NHS confirming the +ve result and the Certificate of Recovery from the NHS app/website. Air Canada rep checked them before bag drop and off we went.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
narbs wrote:
Mistress Twerkle wrote:
Saintsman wrote:

Thanks again,
Ms T.

We provided the same for our trip this month. The email from the NHS confirming the +ve result and the Certificate of Recovery from the NHS app/website. Air Canada rep checked them before bag drop and off we went.

That’s good to know, thank you. Do they need anything saying you’re no longer symptomatic, or do they just take you at your word for that bit?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mistress Twerkle wrote:
narbs wrote:
Mistress Twerkle wrote:
Saintsman wrote:

Thanks again,
Ms T.

That’s good to know, thank you. Do they need anything saying you’re no longer symptomatic, or do they just take you at your word for that bit?

You have to self-declare on ArriveCAN that you have no symptoms, but Mrs n wasn't questioned at all, either at Heathrow or Calgary. Double check of all our documents (her recovery confirmation and my -ve PCR test result) which took less than a minute and off we went. It really was a painless process. Our 10 year old also had tested +ve in the weeks leading up to our trip and all we had for her was the NHS email, again accepted without a problem.

The staff were very prepared and appeared to know exactly what paperwork each person required, it added nothing to our journey time or stress levels Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@narbs, that’s really helpful, thank you. Makes things a little less stressful knowing I don’t have to jump through another hoop!

Ms T.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jebroni3_16 wrote:
Myfanwy wrote:
Currently quarantining in Banff -awaiting arrival PCR test result .
Hypothetical question - what would/could happen if take home PcR test after arrival was not submitted ,presume it would be picked up on departure from checking passport ??

I overheard an American on the Peak 2 Peak tell her friends that she'd just received an email pointing out that she hadn't submitted her take home PCR test within the permitted time-frame.

She didn't seem too bothered, until one of her friends pointed out that in addition to her email address, they presumably had her passport and visa details.

My answer to hypothetical question would be maybe nothing, maybe get black-marked from revisiting Canada / province you entered via. I wasn't willing to take the risk of the latter, so took the test offered at the airport on arrival and waited (20 hours as it turns out) until I got my result back.

We met two lads from Sheffield on the mountain who were skiing whilst awaiting the results of their LifeLabs PCR results...all our group hung around the pool in the hotel.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dazman wrote:
jebroni3_16 wrote:
Myfanwy wrote:
Currently quarantining in Banff -awaiting arrival PCR test result .
Hypothetical question - what would/could happen if take home PcR test after arrival was not submitted ,presume it would be picked up on departure from checking passport ??

I overheard an American on the Peak 2 Peak tell her friends that she'd just received an email pointing out that she hadn't submitted her take home PCR test within the permitted time-frame.

She didn't seem too bothered, until one of her friends pointed out that in addition to her email address, they presumably had her passport and visa details.

My answer to hypothetical question would be maybe nothing, maybe get black-marked from revisiting Canada / province you entered via. I wasn't willing to take the risk of the latter, so took the test offered at the airport on arrival and waited (20 hours as it turns out) until I got my result back.

We met two lads from Sheffield on the mountain who were skiing whilst awaiting the results of their LifeLabs PCR results...all our group hung around the pool in the hotel.

Even that was breaking the rules.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Saintsman, That's what we thought....but we were doing what the Four Seasons told us.

"You're free to use the facilities here while you wait"
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Saintsman, Also I was of the opinion you wouldn't be able to buy multiple lift passes...but you can.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dazman wrote:
@Saintsman, That's what we thought....but we were doing what the Four Seasons told us.

"You're free to use the facilities here while you wait"

Four Seasons weren't liable for you breaking isolation. The only people on the hook if you were "caught" would have been you
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
narbs wrote:
Mistress Twerkle wrote:
narbs wrote:
Mistress Twerkle wrote:
Saintsman wrote:

Thanks again,
Ms T.

You have to self-declare on ArriveCAN that you have no symptoms, but Mrs n wasn't questioned at all, either at Heathrow or Calgary. Double check of all our documents (her recovery confirmation and my -ve PCR test result) which took less than a minute and off we went. It really was a painless process. Our 10 year old also had tested +ve in the weeks leading up to our trip and all we had for her was the NHS email, again accepted without a problem.

The staff were very prepared and appeared to know exactly what paperwork each person required, it added nothing to our journey time or stress levels Laughing

The Girl at our desk didn't even check my recovery details (I had literally EVERYTHING with me) - she just went on the ArriveCAN declarations....as in accordance, Wife got tested, I didn't.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dazman wrote:
The Girl at our desk didn't even check my recovery details (I had literally EVERYTHING with me) - she just went on the ArriveCAN declarations....as in accordance, Wife got tested, I didn't.

For a couple of weeks, it's sounded like every group arriving has had one person tested. So, at least one of s group / family arriving on one booking reference / ArriveCan form would be tested. Logic being it's cheaper for them and I think in theory you're all supposed to quarantine pending the one result. Not entirely sure of that though.

My mate and I were on separate booking references, so we both got tested and got results back in 20 and 27 hours.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frikkin baltic in Fernie today. Tips of my fingers are getting cold even in liners and Kinco mitts ( whuch are by no means unwarm gloves).
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frikkin Baltic in Lake Louise too today -painful thumbs and toes !
snow report
Fortunately chairs were empty and I had a funk n soul playlist so was able to invent Great White Northern Soul chair dancing. Kept the tootsies warm if at the price of making me look very special.
snow conditions
@Dave of the Marmottes, Whistler and Blackcomb could really do with throwing a few quid their chairlifts to update them....there's no covers at all.

Also there was folk stuck on the Peak2Peak y'day for over an hour.....that must have been tough.
latest report
@dazman, nah chairlift covers come into the realm of Rule 5.
snow conditions
dazman wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, Whistler and Blackcomb could really do with throwing a few quid their chairlifts to update them....there's no covers at all.

Also there was folk stuck on the Peak2Peak y'day for over an hour.....that must have been tough.

they have just spent millions on creating the longest connected gondola system in the world ( Blackcomb - peak to peak - whistler ) and announced new gondola from creekside and high speed chair link up for next season , yes covers would be nice , but not really a North American thing , they've steadily improved the chair lift stock to high speed ones , only Franz now that's very old and slow and TBF it doesn't run very often nowadays

also on a practical front wouldn't covers make for more lifts being closed due to wind speeds on higher lifts

sound like Austria is more your thing , isghl has loads of covers and apres fuelled covid Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Dabber wrote:
dazman wrote:

they have just spent millions on creating the longest connected gondola system in the world ( Blackcomb - peak to peak - whistler ) and announced new gondola from creekside and high speed chair link up for next season , yes covers would be nice , but not really a North American thing , they've steadily improved the chair lift stock to high speed ones , only Franz now that's very old and slow and TBF it doesn't run very often nowadays

also on a practical front wouldn't covers make for more lifts being closed due to wind speeds on higher lifts

sound like Austria is more your thing , isghl has loads of covers and apres fuelled covid Toofy Grin

God forbid he ever goes to any other resort in Canada where lift infrastructure is way worse and they are still manually scanning tickets snowHead If whistlers lifts are not modern enough for you, definitely look to Europe for future trips.
ski holidays
Has anyone driven from the US into Canada? Does the system run as well as at the airports. My wife and son are looking at coming in July for skiing in Whistler and may fly into Seatlle.
snow conditions
doddsie wrote:
Has anyone driven from the US into Canada? Does the system run as well as at the airports. My wife and son are looking at coming in July for skiing in Whistler and may fly into Seatlle.

don't think they'll be much snow left in July , but the mountain biking is great !!!! Toofy Grin
latest report
The Seattle residents I spoke to who'd driven to Whistler recently said the boarder crossing had been much quieter than usual. That might have changed by the summer however.

As always, they said Canadian border checks were fine, but checks by the Americans on the way back were as difficult as usual. And they were also American!
snow conditions
Dabber wrote:
doddsie wrote:

don't think they'll be much snow left in July , but the mountain biking is great !!!! Toofy Grin

Blackcomb/Hotstmann glacier is usually open in summer for advanced/expert skiers only (basically alongside the T-bar Closed last summer due to Covid
latest report
He will just be skiing the moguls course they set up on the Glacier, but plenty of MTBing in the afternoons along with water ramping.
snow report
I just wrote up some tips for a friend who was going to Banff in March so I thought I'd share them here:

Tips for Banff:
You do not need much cash for Canada nearly all transactions can be done by card.
It is worthwhile using a "Revolut Card" see Revolut(dot)com
You can preload this card from your bank account and use it to change money into just about any major currency at a bargain rate.
Then when you are abroad you can move currency back and forward, make withdrawal from ATM machines and just use it like a credit/Debit card.
There are lots of other neat features with a Revolut cards as well.
Lift Passes are Expensive in Canada, if you are staying in Banff you will probably
be skiing "Sunshine" & "Lake Louise" and for half a day "Norquay".
Equipment rental is also expensive, so its worth taking your own gear if you have it already.
If you don't mind driving for 2.5 hours each way you could visit "Kicking Horse"
(That’s where we were based this year)
Apart from skiing it’s a must to visit Banff Hot Springs and bath in the warm thermal pools. (perhaps on a dull stormy day)
I recommend renting a car for the freedom although there are busses that will take you from most hotels up to Sunshine & Lake Louise.
Best Car rental rates are via “Canadian Affair” website (and make sure you have the full insurance because the windscreens often get chipped or broken by passing lorries.
(But it means working to a timetable)
The actual Lake at Lake Louise is well worth a visit, it’s just so beautiful. The Fairmont Chateau hotel is worth a visit if you are even calling in for a Hot Chocolate.
We were not able to visit it this year because of Covid restrictions, but it’s fantastic just to walk around and down to the river in Banff.
The Irish Bar in Banff has live music but I think its only at weekends at the moment .. Check "St James's Gate"
Have a great time, it’s a long way but worth it, Canadians are so friendly.
snow conditions
Quote:

Lift Passes are Expensive in Canada

Can be expensive. Can be cheaper than Europe. Really depends. For example lake Louise spring pass are on sale now for £320 and get you unlimited skiing from march 7th until close of season (potentially 63 days!).
snow conditions
doddsie wrote:
My experience is only pre-Covid, for perhaps obvious reasons. Broadly, flying to SEA is a bad idea as the drive from there to Vancouver is quicker and easier than any flight I've ever managed through there. Oh, and there's less risk of your gear ending up misplaced. Crossing the border the obvious way works ok, although the guards (two lots) can be snotty. If you drive a rental it may well cost more if you cross the border. If you have to change flights it's easier to do it in Canada than in the US. That has got more true over time, not less, with the TSA etc. Oh, and if you have US guns then you have to leave them south of the border. And you may well need an ESTA as well as the ETA. It just gets complicated, like a UK person flying from Canada to Australia at the moment (don't ask).

---
Calgary YYC was a cruise today - no testing at all for arrivals from the UK, and the infrastructure isn't there, so maybe being Alberta they're ahead of Feb 28 by a few days. The business class upgrade was $11,000 [eleven thousand!], so I gave that a miss. They were about an hour faster than Vancouver getting snowboards out, irrespective of "class". And they carry them for free even on Economy Basic, if you're polite, anyway. Which reminds me...

---
dazman wrote:
Didn't see a single Police officer there all week....and all you'd need to say is "Sorry Officer I showed it coming in but I must have lost it in here somewhere"
Read what I said. The liability in question is that of the staff, whose behaviour I was helping you to understand. Perhaps we should have started with something simpler.

---
Lift pass price? I'm not so sure. Whistler's business model is US people with season tickets - it's Vail Resorts "insurance policy". So if you go and pay full price, obviously it's expensive. I ride there sometimes because I sofa surf, so I an net the cost out. But otherwise, sure, almost any other Canadian place will be cheaper. If y'all want to go to the expensive places and moan about it, people may think you're English or something. To me it's like going to Iceland: you either drink beer there, or you translate the price to pounds and then moan whilst drinking beer. The fact is you're going to drink beer, so just don't translate the price and it's all good.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jesus wept....some serious self righteousness, patronizing and downright rudeness going on in here.

"All I'll say is...leave your Austrian heads in Heathrow and open your mind and you'll love it, the skiing outweighs all the moans."

That was my last line before the pile in began...I had actually forgotten how sneery this place could be.

Oh and in future if you are trying to be clever at least look up how to spell Ischgl correctly in advance.
snow report
dazman wrote:
Jesus wept....some serious self righteousness, patronizing and downright rudeness going on in here.

"All I'll say is...leave your Austrian heads in Heathrow and open your mind and you'll love it, the skiing outweighs all the moans."

That was my last line before the pile in began...I had actually forgotten how sneery this place could be.

Oh and in future if you are trying to be clever at least look up how to spell Ischgl correctly in advance.

dazman wrote:

You can't not expect a little ribbing for your comment that Whistler needs to spend money upgrading it's lifts. Especially in a skiing in Canada thread where most resorts still manually scan lift passes and there are plenty of old slow fixed grip lifts.

Whistler has upgraded pretty much all it's lifts to high speed detachables or gondolas. They spent $66millionCAD on the 2018 upgrades, and are upgrading both big red and Creekside gondola for 2022 season. On top of that peak to peak (while fairly useless for skiers) is still a record holder and pretty remarkable engineering feat.

Perhaps they could add more covers on chairs, but as said I don't think that's something most people care about, a lot won't even put the bar down snowHead . There's not much else to upgrade.
ski holidays
doddsie wrote:
He will just be skiing the moguls course they set up on the Glacier, but plenty of MTBing in the afternoons along with water ramping.

great that there still skiing on the glacier , didn't realise it was still a thing , ski / bike days are the best
latest report
dazman wrote:

sorry for my spelling error forgot how important that is on forums Embarassed just felt your vibe was very negative in your posts especially regarding the checks that have to made and generally denigrating a system that is designed to protect people , one of the main things I love about canada and the people who live there , is their respect for others well being and the sense of community , so I was just irked but didn't mean to cause offence , so sorry and hope you enjoy the rest of your stay
snow conditions
Lake Louise was a steady minus 18 today, snow conditions were good, no significant icy patches, circles were easily carved. "Top of the World" was shut, causing some line ups for the main gondola at peak time. I got the first lift by pretty much just walking up to it and getting on. Some of the food outlets were shut/ running limited service. The only place for half decent coffee is the lodge by the ski school at the base. They've put in automatic ticket sellers since I was last here in 2018; passes are still scanned by hand.

Just about to get on the first lift...

They have big mountains over that side of the valley too.

New toy watch (Venu 2s) collects more statistics than anyone can use. My heart rate was apparently always at "easy" level although I didn't stop on runs. wink

It felt nice and warm when appropriately dressed, what with the sun and no real wind.
latest report
Arrived in Calgary (YYC) this afternoon with a friend from the UK via Frankfurt. They didn’t even look at our Arrivecan receipts (both showing I) , just put a T on both our forms and we had to have a Covid test. We’re both Brits and did a 72-hour PCR to get on the flight. Here’s hoping the results are quick! Typical luck that the testing will relax in a couple of days.
latest report
ficklefisher wrote:
Arrived in Calgary (YYC) this afternoon with a friend from the UK via Frankfurt. They didn’t even look at our Arrivecan receipts (both showing I) , just put a T on both our forms and we had to have a Covid test. We’re both Brits and did a 72-hour PCR to get on the flight. Here’s hoping the results are quick! Typical luck that the testing will relax in a couple of days.

If the system works right they don't need to look at your Arrivecan receipt - firstly, it's been seen at check-in (and the airlines face some stuff penalties if they fly an illegible person. Secondly, it's tied to your passport number, so when your passport gets scanned they can see your Arrivecan receipt anyway.

In much the same way, when you fly home at check-in they'll ask to see your PLF, but you'll be able to scan through the e-gates without a physical check
snow report
Ok, thanks, just plenty of signs saying show your Arrivecan receipt before and after the passport machines. Wondered if it had any bearing on whether you were selected for testing or whether they are trying to get all non-native International arrivals before random testing kicks in on Monday. Didn’t seem that many taking tests. Of no consequence, doesn’t change anything!
snow report
@boarder2020, did the big red and creekside gondala get upgraded? I didn't notice last month! I think Whistler lacks lift capacity for the number of tickets it sells at peak times. I have never skied a resort with longer lift lines, but return most years as the skiing (and powder record) is so good.
snow report
ficklefisher wrote:
Ok, thanks, just plenty of signs saying show your Arrivecan receipt before and after the passport machines. Wondered if it had any bearing on whether you were selected for testing or whether they are trying to get all non-native International arrivals before random testing kicks in on Monday. Didn’t seem that many taking tests. Of no consequence, doesn’t change anything!

Testing was supposed to be purely random, controlled by the system. The only human intervention was supposed to be what % of arrivals got tested
snow report
Snowsartre wrote:
@boarder2020, did the big red and creekside gondala get upgraded? I didn't notice last month! I think Whistler lacks lift capacity for the number of tickets it sells at peak times. I have never skied a resort with longer lift lines, but return most years as the skiing (and powder record) is so good.

Creekside and Big Red get upgraded this summer. Creekside becomes an 8 person Gondola, Big Red a high speed 6 seat chair
ski holidays
Hi all, flying out to Vancouver on 7th March (very excited!). Has anyone booked the 24hr antigen tests instead of PCR which is now allowed from tomorrow? I’ve found a few providers that offer the telehealth/supervised tests but wondering if anyone has any feedback on these yet? Tempted to just book a PCR instead to play it safe!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy