Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel to Canada

Poster: A snowHead
RichardB wrote:
It can take up to 3 days for the test result to come back according to one news report which is fine if you're there for 2 weeks but any less than that is a huge cut to a holiday, I’m not booking any lift passes until I arrive into Canada and I’m even considering switching to Europe as this is frankly going to lead to chaos on arrival to the airport.

Agreed. I think I'd be choosing somewhere other than Canada. Why have all that faff and risk when you can ski in plenty of other places, without the hassle Puzzled

We usually ski in Colorado in February but have given it a miss this year. Long haul trips, while mask wearing, just don't appeal to us at the moment.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jebroni3_16 wrote:
WASHOUT wrote:
No major problems to report with vancouver airport, I was picked out to test but they where picking most people out.

Not a major with my suitcase getting lost my ski bag turned up and I had enough gear in my pull along (boots, base layers, glove, helmet etc) for a few days skiing only need to buy a buff. So no issue. Also get compensation from insurance for delayed bags.

Will be interested to hear how this works out for you.

Got back from Whistler / YVR yesterday and probably going to start my claim processing later. As I understand it though, my insurer LV does not offer compensation, but the "policy provides cover for the purchase of necessary items".

So, if I didn't buy anything, I don't have anything to claim for or anything to reimburse / compensate for. Does your insurer offer something different?

Yes my insurance is through my credit card amex platinum. From 4 to 48 hours I have up to £300 and 48 hrs plus is £600. Claims are a lot easier if purchase stuff on that credit card but need to keep receipts aswell. It's a expensive card but there's 6 of us that has cover from x1 card (if you have a supplementary card you get cover my father has the main card so the whole family has a supplementary), it also has winter sports cover Inc off piste with a guide. You also get a priority pass with it. Last PSB the one just before covid struck I damaged a hire car. £3k of damage (front bumper was scratched) they covered that no questions.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
All good, but the airline is liable for baggage and the direct costs associated with them misplacing it, as per the Montreal Convention.

It gets more complicated when they actually lose it, and from memory you have to wait 28 days before lost stuff's written off.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah and what @WASHOUT describes does sound more like reimbursement of expenses to me, rather than what I would consider to be compensation.

Either way, about to start my process and hope it works out ok for others.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just to update. Was tested approx 8pm in vancouver and results arrived 8pm the following night so 24hrs for results (all local time).

This was slightly quicker than my mate who arrived in Montreal a week and a half ago, he was approx 30 hours from test to results.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bergmeister wrote:
RichardB wrote:
It can take up to 3 days for the test result to come back according to one news report which is fine if you're there for 2 weeks but any less than that is a huge cut to a holiday, I’m not booking any lift passes until I arrive into Canada and I’m even considering switching to Europe as this is frankly going to lead to chaos on arrival to the airport.

Agreed. I think I'd be choosing somewhere other than Canada. Why have all that faff and risk when you can ski in plenty of other places, without the hassle Puzzled

We usually ski in Colorado in February but have given it a miss this year. Long haul trips, while mask wearing, just don't appeal to us at the moment.

The mask wearing on the planes isn't really a problem except for the idiots who think it means chin mask or because they find it a bit uncomfortable they don't have to. The PCR test anxiety when promised 12-24hr results don't turn up and the portal goes down overnight is real though. I'm hoping Canada start "randomly" testing fewer people on arrival because what's the point of they are binning that requirement in 10 days.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Personally I didn't find the mask wearing of being any issue I have more of opinion of just get on with it. As dave mentions above the arrival PCR test did concern me but its something I was willing to accept.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:
RichardB wrote:

The mask wearing on the planes isn't really a problem

It's a problem to me as I prefer to breathe freely. wink A long haul, mask-wearing flight would be rather unpleasant to me; and a bridge too far.

It's great that some of you don't mind it, though. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi all - just to say thanks for a really helpful / informative thread regarding travel to Canada and arrivals PCR testing. Just to add another data point:

Arrived in Vancouver from the UK at 16:05 local time on Wednesday and caught a connecting flight to Kelowna en route to Revelstoke. Selected for testing and was initially given a take home kit. I had pre-registered, so politely insisted on being tested at the airport, which staff were happy to agree to. Very quick process - maybe 10 minutes.

I was tested at around 16:30 local time on Wednesday and my negative result came through at 23:10 local time on Thursday (so 31 hours post-test).

In hindsight this has all worked out fine and having a day of being forced to relax at the hotel after a long journey wasn’t the worst thing in the world. That said, the wait from around 24 hours post test until my results came in was a bit painful!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
So just to report my experience at YVR. Virtually everyone on the BA flight was selected for testing. Went straight thru testing having pre reged. Tested 2200. Results by 18.00 i.e. by the time I'd got to my quarantine location. So despite a kid in my section who coughed constantly unmasked for 10 hrs( how selfish do parents have to be to put everyone else thru that?) didn't plague up on the plane.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Due to travel to Calgary tomorrow.
Can I ask how I would pre-reg a test?
Do the take away tests take longer to come back?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Have you completed Arrivecan yet? It links to pre registration and recommends you do it.

The point of refusing the takeaway tests is that while quarantine is mandatory, you get stuffed by the takeaway. If you test onsite then every hour you spend travelling to your destination is time your test is working through the system. If you land then pick up a takeaway you travel to your destination, then test, drop it in a postbox, have it take 24 hours to reach the lab and THEN they start the process. Suddenly 24 hours becomes 72 hours in quarantine, if you're lucky
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just found the pre-reg test details for Calgary Cool
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks Saintman.
Just had my negative PCR result so will get on with arrive can now.
Thanks for the invaluable info!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
They should cease arrival testing immediately. It adds nothing to the safety of the public. The coming changes are nice, but can’t come soon enough for travelers.
snow conditions
A quick report on my journey yesterday:
I was travelled from Heathrow to Vancouver and then on to Calgary. I was with one other mate, he was let straight through whilst I was selected for testing. The test was very quick in the airport, no chance of missing the connecting flight. Result took a very nervous 19 hours.
Off I go!
snow report
On our way home after 10 days split between Revelstoke and Lake Louise. Test results came through at YYC in about 20 hours despite the testing staff saying results would take between 3 and 5 days!
In BC vaccine pass and ID checked everywhere (hotels, restaurants, ticket offices). In Alberta not asked for anything once!
latest report
robcarrie wrote:
On our way home after 10 days split between Revelstoke and Lake Louise. Test results came through at YYC in about 20 hours despite the testing staff saying results would take between 3 and 5 days!
In BC vaccine pass and ID checked everywhere (hotels, restaurants, ticket offices). In Alberta not asked for anything once!

Back today from ten days at Sunshine and Louise - exactly the same Alberta experience, much the same as being in the UK. The only confusion was whether mid-week our 10 year old daughter needed a mask or not, but that was the least of our worries pre-trip.

Not travel-related, but the ski school at Sunshine was fantastic with the child. Proper instruction and good feedback at the end of each day.
ski holidays
Love LL/Sunshine instructors. Absolute pros.
latest report
Managed to get home from Whistler on Sunday morning due the carnage in T5.
3 tested - 24 hours wait for results...pretty standard.

Great 8 days...mountains pretty much deserted, so the skiing was off the scale but the restrictions really began to grate as the week progressed.

One of the guys had to go back to the Four Seasons to get his ID for Dubh Linn as the girl wouldn't let him in without it (Even though there was 8 of us who had it)
The younglad at The Portobello insisted on it every day (even when I told him it hadn't changed since the day previous!)
Restaurants would deliberately split us (Tables opposite sides of the room etc) as they knew we were a gang of 8.

Apres is non-existant...Merlins closing a 6 was laughable, the DJs outside Longhorns and Blacks were just queuathons of Instagrammers (but there seemed plenty of queue skipping for the Hosts mates) - Dubh Linn is ok-ish but I'd rather not visit an Irish bar whilst I'm away.

One massive gripe...is the lift times, 2:30 last lift on certain lifts is scandalous, the lift pass is expensive enough and they're citing the lack of staff as the problem it should be reflected in the lift pass price...depending on how the lifties are feeling you might get a gondola at 3ish but that's it.

All the mountain restaurants (2 drinks per person guys! - so to get a round for 8 four of us had to go in at a time!) close early...so when you get a beer in Seppos above Whistler at 3 that's it, even the Horstman above 7th Heaven was only open twice.

All I'll say is...leave your Austrian heads in Heathrow and open your mind and you'll love it, the skiing outweighs all the moans.

And don't come back without seeing the Ice Cave!
snow report
The reason they insist on your ID is not because they don't know who you are,
it's because if they get raided, then if you do not have an ID, they're the ones
who are liable, not you.
ski holidays
Off to Banff 5th April for two weeks. Fingers crossed for some great spring skiing.

Anyone been to LL or Sunshine in Spring??
ski holidays
@philwig, Didn't see a single Police officer there all week....and all you'd need to say is "Sorry Officer I showed it coming in but I must have lost it in here somewhere"
ski holidays
@dazman, Canadians follow rules and they don't have a problem doing so. Brits like there to be rules, but don't think the rules apply to them
snow report
Its all a bit more relaxed now in BC, you are allowed tables of more than 6
snow report
@dazman,

Oh no, you can't get wasted on the mountain whilst skiing, what a crisis - except for the rest of us skiing there.

Do you think there is any reason why the bar/restaurants might be insisting on ID, any at all? Like maybe thats the rules? Maybe they get fined/shut down for not enforcing them? Maybe the guy on the door gets fired for not enforcing them?
The hardship of having to show ID to get breakfast at the Portobello, must have been terrible.
You decide to go to another country during a pandemic and complain about the way they do things? rolling eyes Did you stop by Ottawa on the way back; heard there were a few people there who might have been more sympathetic? wink

Lifts at Whistler have always opened and closed early, nothing to do with the pandemic. The only thing that changed (which you won't notice because you are not here) is that last year they did not extend the hours as it got lighter later in the year.
It is nothing to do with "how the the lifties are feeling", they are doing their job.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 22-02-22 17:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@stuarth, Did you even read my post??
snow report
@dazman,

Thank you for reporting your experiences and voicing your opinions.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dazman wrote:
Managed to get home from Whistler on Sunday morning due the carnage in T5.
3 tested - 24 hours wait for results...pretty standard.

Great 8 days...mountains pretty much deserted, so the skiing was off the scale but the restrictions really began to grate as the week progressed.

One of the guys had to go back to the Four Seasons to get his ID for Dubh Linn as the girl wouldn't let him in without it (Even though there was 8 of us who had it)
The younglad at The Portobello insisted on it every day (even when I told him it hadn't changed since the day previous!)
Restaurants would deliberately split us (Tables opposite sides of the room etc) as they knew we were a gang of 8.

Apres is non-existant...Merlins closing a 6 was laughable, the DJs outside Longhorns and Blacks were just queuathons of Instagrammers (but there seemed plenty of queue skipping for the Hosts mates) - Dubh Linn is ok-ish but I'd rather not visit an Irish bar whilst I'm away.

One massive gripe...is the lift times, 2:30 last lift on certain lifts is scandalous, the lift pass is expensive enough and they're citing the lack of staff as the problem it should be reflected in the lift pass price...depending on how the lifties are feeling you might get a gondola at 3ish but that's it.

All the mountain restaurants (2 drinks per person guys! - so to get a round for 8 four of us had to go in at a time!) close early...so when you get a beer in Seppos above Whistler at 3 that's it, even the Horstman above 7th Heaven was only open twice.

All I'll say is...leave your Austrian heads in Heathrow and open your mind and you'll love it, the skiing outweighs all the moans.

And don't come back without seeing the Ice Cave!

Yes.
snow report
Oh no, you can't get wasted on the mountain whilst skiing, what a crisis - except for the rest of us skiing there. - Who mentioned getting wasted??...I was trying to buy a round of drinks at lunch for 8 people, nice assumption there.

Do you think there is any reason why the bar/restaurants might be insisting on ID, any at all? Like maybe thats the rules? Maybe they get fined/shut down for not enforcing them? Maybe the guy on the door gets fired for not enforcing them? - My mate had a photo of his ID on his phone, was this not sufficient?

The hardship of having to show ID to get breakfast at the Portobello, must have been terrible. - It was take away, every day.

You decide to go to another country during a pandemic and complain about the way they do things? rolling eyes Did you stop by Ottawa on the way back; heard there were a few people there who might have been more sympathetic? wink - I'm from Ireland where we've had the most draconian of restrictions, this comment is nasty.

Lifts at Whistler have always opened and closed early, nothing to do with the pandemic. The only thing that changed (which you won't notice because you are not here) is that last year they did not extend the hours as it got lighter later in the year.
It is nothing to do with "how the the lifties are feeling", they are doing their job. - You may have noticed I used the word "Cited" in my comment I'm quoting what the operators told us several of them quoting staff shortages - three occasions we were allowed get back on the Blackcomb gondola at say 3:30 - three occasions we were told we missed last lift at 3:20....hardly consistent.

And lastly I'll remind you of my second last line...

"All I'll say is...leave your Austrian heads in Heathrow and open your mind and you'll love it, the skiing outweighs all the moans"

...hope this clears things up Mr Ambassador.
snow report
dazman wrote:
Oh no, you can't get wasted on the mountain whilst skiing, what a crisis - except for the rest of us skiing there. - Who mentioned getting wasted??...I was trying to buy a round of drinks at lunch for 8 people, nice assumption there.

Perhaps the reference to
Quote:
leave your Austrian heads in Heathrow
or
Quote:
so when you get a beer in Seppos above Whistler at 3 that's it
?

Quote:
My mate had a photo of his ID on his phone, was this not sufficient?
No idea, the government make the rules not me. If the rules say you must have government issued ID that's what you need. The guy on the door doesn't get to decide the rules, neither do I, or you, or your mates. You know what they are, follow them. I went to a restaurant Friday, I took my vaccine pass and actual ID, it wasn't that hard.

Quote:

The hardship of having to show ID to get breakfast at the Portobello, must have been terrible. - It was take away, every day.
Out of interest, why take out everyday? The Portobello has a big, nice seating area. Anyway, your choice.

Quote:

You decide to go to another country during a pandemic and complain about the way they do things? rolling eyes Did you stop by Ottawa on the way back; heard there were a few people there who might have been more sympathetic? wink - I'm from Ireland where we've had the most draconian of restrictions, this comment is nasty.
So why complain about the restrictions here? BC has always been fairly light-touch and fairly reasonable
As you might have noticed if you saw any of the local news, people complaining (well they are quite a bit more than complaining I guess!) about perfectly reasonable rules in a pandemic are not most popular right now - check out "Ottawa Balcony Man" [NSFW!] Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Quote:

Dashes and dots, no quotes.

Not only is he complaining about Canada... making a show of not behaving like a Roman when in Rome Toofy Grin
snow report
RoamingBull wrote:
Off to Banff 5th April for two weeks. Fingers crossed for some great spring skiing.

Anyone been to LL or Sunshine in Spring??

Twice, might have one Trip Report in my signature, you’ll have to search for the other, sorry. I tried to put lots of info and tips. You’ll love it, I’m jealous!
snow report
Currently quarantining in Banff -awaiting arrival PCR test result .
Hypothetical question - what would/could happen if take home PcR test after arrival was not submitted ,presume it would be picked up on departure from checking passport ??
snow report
Myfanwy wrote:
Currently quarantining in Banff -awaiting arrival PCR test result .
Hypothetical question - what would/could happen if take home PcR test after arrival was not submitted ,presume it would be picked up on departure from checking passport ??

I overheard an American on the Peak 2 Peak tell her friends that she'd just received an email pointing out that she hadn't submitted her take home PCR test within the permitted time-frame.

She didn't seem too bothered, until one of her friends pointed out that in addition to her email address, they presumably had her passport and visa details.

My answer to hypothetical question would be maybe nothing, maybe get black-marked from revisiting Canada / province you entered via. I wasn't willing to take the risk of the latter, so took the test offered at the airport on arrival and waited (20 hours as it turns out) until I got my result back.
latest report
I think there's a fine for violating the various Covid rules... maybe just a bill in the mail?
latest report
Orange200 wrote:
... Anyone been to LL or Sunshine in Spring?
Now and then. I'll be passing through in a couple of days. Normally I'd be there much later in the season, but flights are weird this year.

Images maybe help. These are from late March 2018, the last time I was there.
I've been as late as April 20, which is warmer with longer days. The weather is what it is, can't be predicted.

First off the bottom bit of Lake Louise with a nice view of the parking lot etc.
You can see what looks like a lot of people down there, but that's the only busy bit really and it's a massive area,
where everyone ends up. The slopes were not crowded.

And then Sunshine, where the parking lot's down the bottom, not here.
snow report
Yay-out of quarantine.
Tested at Calgary 14.45 yesterday -result through in 24 hours .phew
snow conditions
Thanks for the information on the April skiing. Really looking forward to it after we had to cancel our end of January 2 weeks in Banff.

Just hoping it doesn’t get to slushy like I’ve known in Europe.
snow conditions
I’ve fallen down an internet rabbit hole and hoping SHs can help me escape…

Due to getting covid (ugh), I’m having to rearrange a trip I’ve got planned to Canada. I’m trying to work out what format the “proof of recovery” from covid needs to take, as it looks like this is what I will need, rather than my vaccination etc status.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/flying-canada-checklist/covid-19-testing-travellers-coming-into-canada helpfully just references the need to “provide proof of a previous positive test result taken at least 10 calendar days” prior to flying. It says I’m ok to fly 10 days after a positive test as long as I have proof of the test (I got a PCR) and am no longer symptomatic.

What I don’t know is whether the NHS app will provide something that Canada will accept, or whether I’ll need to get something additional.

Any info/advice gratefully received.

Ms T.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy