Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel to Canada

Poster: A snowHead
jebroni3_16 wrote:
Just had an email from Government of Canada saying that I am (was) supposed to report my arrival at place of quarantine within 48 hours of arriving in Canada. I obviously failed to do this!

I've got my negative arrival test result, but just making others aware of another thing you're "required" to do... unless you forget like me.

That sounds like one of the automated mm essages that only get sent 1 in 100 times and that no-one's following up on
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
@jebroni3_16, How are you supposed to report it - through the ArriveCan app?

"report your arrival at your place of quarantine within 48 hours after entering Canada by calling the Public Health Agency of Canada at 1-833-641-0343"
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just come back from trip to BC.
Went to Revvy, KH and Whitewater.
I was tested at Vancouver [as was everybody] and had a terrifying wait for the results in Kelowna [about 24hrs] as a positive result would have been horrific.
They check your vaccine status and ID literally everywhere.
Buff was fine for all ski related activities but must be over the nose. I was surprised that they were so insistant of this on chair lifts.
On return, UK border was a doddle ... faster than pre-covid .... as it has been for all my recent international flights.
All in all, not a bad experience.
The skiing and the snow were phenominal!

Going was a risk ... I was the only one out of my group of five prepared to take it. The others pulled out.
It paid off for me but if I had tested positive in Vancouver it would have been a disaster ......
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Spoke briefly to couple who arrived at YVR two days ago and despite them both having exactly the same vaccination status, one was tested, the other was not.

And they observed a pattern of one person per group being chosen for testing. Maybe a change in policy to keep costs down and speed things up.

I haven't checked the rules to see whether others traveling as part of same group would also have to self-isolate / quarantine in the event of that one test coming back positive.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jebroni3_16 wrote:
Spoke briefly to couple who arrived at YVR two days ago and despite them both having exactly the same vaccination status, one was tested, the other was not.

And they observed a pattern of one person per group being chosen for testing. Maybe a change in policy to keep costs down and speed things up.

I haven't checked the rules to see whether others traveling as part of same group would also have to self-isolate / quarantine in the event of that one test coming back positive.

If you're quarantining with a group with everyone in the group is supposed to quarantine with you, tested or not. However, this sounds like it might be a one off - just reading about a Lufthansa flight from 2 days ago where everyone not carrying a Canadian passport was tested. Still safe to assume that you will be tested on arrival
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Saintsman,

If it is based on passport that makes it an even crazier policy - does a Canadian passport somehow provide immunity? Madeye-Smiley You'd have thought it would be the otherwise round as likely will have more contacts here.
I don't really have much (or any!) sympathy for the crazies currently blocking Ottawa and the borders, but have to admit that these testing rules are bizarre and don't seem particularly useful.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The whole thing is increasingly bonkers.

The official rationale for not quarantining arrivals from the USA originally was that supposedly there was little to no incidence of Omicron in the US (although at that point in time the US were barely testing at all, so how would they know?) At this stage, if there was to be any continuing testing then that rationale would seem to require quarantining of US travellers and not European. If the federal government wants to be taken seriously over things like vaccine mandates it needs to be making rational decisions elsewhere
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Anyone used Epic rides for YVR to Whistler shuttles. They are a bit of a pita for pick up because you have to take the Skytrain a couple of stops but that wouldn't be an issue for me. They reckon on 2 hrs YVR- Whistler which seems punchy but how reliable is that for return to YVR on a weekday?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not used Epic rides, but yeah, that's punchy. Only takes a small foul up in Vancouver traffic and you could lose another 45 minutes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Their schedule looks best for my return flight even if they run 60 mins over (beyond that would be stressful) but I do wonder about Vancouver evening traffic snarl ups.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What time is your return flight? I'm guessing the BA flight since you're talking about evening traffic for the return
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Saintsman, yup - don't really want to have to take a shuttle at 13.00 from Whistler to hang around airport for hours yet any later arrival than 19.00 starts to get a bit worrying. Skylynx timetable is even worse - then I guess there are the more pricey semi private services....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Has that departure moved REALLY late? Used to be around 2000-ish from memory
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Flight is 21.05 now
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wow. Perfectly timed for Vancouver traffic. Check-in at 1805 (BA desks don't open till the 3 hour window opens) so you're stuck landside with a crap bar and a Tim Hortons to choose from if you arrive earlier.

Personally I would be uncomfortable leaving Whistler later than 1530 for that and accept I could be slumming it for a while if the traffic was good, but I agree that 1300 is a bit nuts
snow conditions
@Dave of the Marmottes,

I live in North Van and try not to be going anywhere on the north shore that involves a trip towards the Lions Gate or Second Narrows bridge anytime between about 2pm to 6pm! Additionally you'll have all the Vancouver traffic once you get past there. After 6pm-ish the traffic is mostly OK. On weekends it is a bit of a lottery, might be totally clear, but often coming back from Whistler this season we have been in bad traffic from West Van to close to most of the way through North Van (we live in Deep Cove so have to get right the way across).

I never quite got why they spent so much on the se to sky highway for the olympics, but never improved the roads getting from there to the airport

Does RideBooker still do transfers, they seemed alright when I've used them (admittedly a very long time ago)
ski holidays
Getting slight OT, but to my mind the sensible thing for Vancouver (assuming no budget to bulldoze and start again) would be a LARGE rapid transit terminal somewhere to the North of Vancouver. One stop in the centre to connect to existing services, and the other end at YVR. Huge mega-carriages to deposit people into the centre or north, and people make their connections from there.
latest report
NOT announced or official yet, so very subject to change, but the following is now expected as of 1st March:

1 - Return to random arrivals testing without quarantine.
2 - Antigen/LFT tests for pre-departure testing will be accepted if taken within 24 hours of departure

Don't anyone take this to the bank yet........
snow conditions
Saintsman wrote:
Getting slight OT, but to my mind the sensible thing for Vancouver (assuming no budget to bulldoze and start again) would be a LARGE rapid transit terminal somewhere to the North of Vancouver. One stop in the centre to connect to existing services, and the other end at YVR. Huge mega-carriages to deposit people into the centre or north, and people make their connections from there.

More sensible would be to the east as way more people/places in that direction (well there already is a train station to the east, but maybe need to use it a bit more with more passenger centric tracks).
There are proposals for skytrain to North shore so perhaps connections to Whistler could start there one day?
snow conditions
stuarth wrote:
Saintsman wrote:

More sensible would be to the east as way more people/places in that direction (well there already is a train station to the east, but maybe need to use it a bit more with more passenger centric tracks).
There are proposals for skytrain to North shore so perhaps connections to Whistler could start there one day?

Either way, no-one connecting from YVR to the North or East should be driving THROUGH Van. Just need to make it sufficiently easy for pax with large luggage loads. Getting all that traffic off of Van roads would be a win/win for everyone
ski holidays
I admit it has to be one of the few cities in the world with no effective ring road/ expressway to connect airport with popular non city centre destinations like North Shore, Sea to Sky, Ferries to Van Island.
snow report
I admit it has to be one of the few cities in the world with no effective ring road/ expressway to connect airport with popular non city centre destinations like North Shore, Sea to Sky, Ferries to Van Island.

To be fair there are some unique geographical challenges that can only really be overcome with $$$$$$$$$$ or a time machine.

Either way, the timing of that BA flight is now really bad for you and there's no obvious answers - one of the reasons I've moved back to AC for YVR
snow conditions
What they should have done is built a tunnel from Richmond to West Van. I know that's a bit extreme to save me some ballache but...
latest report
Saintsman wrote:
NOT announced or official yet, so very subject to change, but the following is now expected as of 1st March:

2 - Antigen/LFT tests for pre-departure testing will be accepted if taken within 24 hours of departure

This sounds promising...! Struggling to find any news of this online - is there any indication of when changes might be officially announced? I think the 16th Feb was previously mentioned as a potential annoucement date?
ski holidays
Heading to Panorama next Saturday. Because all these silly Canadian rules had people bail out (like some of you had happen as well!). Look like I have a slope-side 1BD Condo available. Anyone looking for a cheap place to stay?
latest report
btbt1024 wrote:
Saintsman wrote:

This sounds promising...! Struggling to find any news of this online - is there any indication of when changes might be officially announced? I think the 16th Feb was previously mentioned as a potential annoucement date?

Like I said at the start - "Not announced"
snow report
Which is why I was asking if there was an indication as to when it might be announced. Obviously there isn't.

Thanks, hopefully the rumours are true anyway
snow report
16thbis still supposed to be the date for new announcements, but increasingly I will just believe it when I see it
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not sure if this will only apply to Canadians (as noted above, while you see this as an inconvenience/risk to your holiday, for us it effectively prevents leaving the country so hopefully a little higher up on the governments' radar), though I assume it would also mean the end of the entry tests as there would be even less point in keeping them?...
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/pcr-test-travel-canada-1.6347334

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 11-02-22 19:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Think that will all be part of the same announcement
snow conditions
Assume they will have a sunsetting lag though - so even if they announce next week entry tests likely to be around a while?
ski holidays
So, announcement is due next week (16th sounds as likely a date as any) new rules currently expected to start 1st March. Exactly what the rules will be tbc - the provinces want things to be relaxed a lot further than the Federal gov from what I'm hearing and there's a lot of arguing going on. Antigen predeparture test inside 24 hours of flight and no arrivals quarantine sounds like the consensus building ATM which would broadly align Canada with the USA
snow conditions
Saintsman wrote:
the provinces want things to be relaxed a lot further than the Federal gov from what I'm hearing

How much to relax varies greatly between the Provinces! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
stuarth wrote:
Saintsman wrote:
the provinces want things to be relaxed a lot further than the Federal gov from what I'm hearing

How much to relax varies greatly between the Provinces! Madeye-Smiley

Oh yeah, but they're all ahead of the Feds
ski holidays
Quick testing update - arrived Calgary yesterday at 3pm, tested, result through at 6 tonight.

Friends arrived via Toronto a day earlier and their results took 36 hours, so all good.

Zero inspection of vax status at hotel, bars, restaurants or at resort, so not sure what the point is really snowHead
latest report
Interesting. Here in Whistler they're getting stricter if anything - the Duhb Linn was insisting on physical gov id today to accompany the smartphone Vax passport. I asked about it and apparently spotchecks are increasing, with a number of bars/restaurants on warnings that they could be shut down
snow report
Well Alberta does have something of a reputation for somewhat different politics wink

In the interior it was also strict, My understanding was that they did do spot checks, and the staff were liable.
In Whistler even out of the village in "locals only" places, even if they knew you well, they needed to know you
had your ID etc with you, for that precise reason.

Personally I'm not much bothered about the test stuff either way. The big risk is that I get the thing... which is
going to cost multiple days whatever the rules.
ski holidays
gritmuncher wrote:
Heading to Panorama next Saturday. Because all these silly Canadian rules had people bail out (like some of you had happen as well!). Look like I have a slope-side 1BD Condo available. Anyone looking for a cheap place to stay?

Could you PM me details? I know someone who could be interested, will pass the details on.

Ta,
Ms T.
ski holidays

Erhhh... Calgary?
latest report
201 is a ring road round Calgary and 1 and 2 are expressways ( even if 1 not always very express)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy