Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel to Canada

Poster: A snowHead
Something like that. Again, anecdotally, take a PRINTOUT of your confirmation. Apparently the greeters aren't accepting just a mobile record
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm ahead of you, but good advice.
... and means that the queue jump option really needs to be done ahead of time
unless one wishes to carry a printer wink

(About the only thing I ever print out is travel stuff, as an emergency backup.)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This is going to be the first time in a long time I'm taking printouts. Printouts of everything. Vax records, tests, flight bookings, hotels, identity, foot size, sight prescription, favourite meal.....
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am hoping to fly to Calgary on 12 January was then flying to Kelowna on evening of 13 January but due to arrival testing requirements, I am changing this to fly to Kelowna on evening of 12 January and hole up there until results are known.

Does anyone know what time the testing shuts at Kelowna airport on a Thursday evening as hoping to get results back the following day.....??
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
On arrivals testing is open while there are inbound flights with potential people needing testing (or it will be once it's 100% mandatory). It's effectively another stage of immigration and customs, so while they're open so is the testing. The only possible exception would be them just giving you a testing kit rather than performing the test themselves, which would delay things a bit as you have to post that off
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Saintsman, The arrivals testing via the link you posted seems to be to book a slot for an online observer and you then arrange a fedex collection Puzzled

Or do you just book that to get in a shorter line/ queue to do the airport testing?

Sorry if I am just being dense (more than likely!)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Once you;ve created an account

1 - Add order - new inbound
2 - Arrived by air
3 - Pregistering - yes, then yes to smartphone, then yes to internet connection
4 - Select province, airport, then traveler for business or leisure
5 - Fill in details, click through, tick the understanding box and you're pre-registered for an on-arrival test.

I've just done a dummy booking all the way to final submission
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So, possibly even easier, following this link https://www.yyc.com/travellerinfo/flyhealthyyyc/covid-19testingatyyc.aspx I can book PCR tests whilst waiting for connecting flight - got to payment page with UK mobile and address. Might be a winner..... 12-24 hour turnaround 2 people PCR 315 CADs inc taxes Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
But that's not an arrivals test? Not hooked into your arrivals record or Canada Public Health
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Off topic but does anyone know of any UK sim options for free roaming in Canada or is it a case of buying one out there?

Three seem to be the best in the UK but don't cover Canada.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Mountain Surfer, O2 had free roaming in Canada last time I checked
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Unfortunately they don't include it in pay as you go, and I don't have O2 monthly sim. Previously I bought Three pay as you go and they cover many countries, but unfortunately not Canada Sad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Canada is one of, if not the most, expensive mobile market in the world. I have previously purchased a US data SIM that includes Canada and Mexico roaming from https://easyactivations.com/, then used that to WhatsApp call the USK. Gives a US phone number as well which is useful for local calling/restaurant reservations
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Saintsman wrote:
Canada is one of, if not the most, expensive mobile market in the world. I have previously purchased a US data SIM that includes Canada and Mexico roaming from https://easyactivations.com/ then used that to WhatsApp call the USK. Gives a US phone number as well which is useful for local calling/restaurant reservations

Cheers (just fixed the url!) - does this require a physical SIM or can it it piggyback off your existing one? I didn't really understand the explanations!

My Vodafone costs would be £6 per day so that looks a much better option.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Mountain Surfer, o2 roaming £4.95 per day , best to try and use wifi calling and what's app where poss , buying phones and sims for non residents in canada is a nightmare
ski holidays
EVERY mobile phone number requires a SIM. Some phones will support two physical SIM cards, and they will ship you a SIM card if you want to do that, or swap out your existing card.

Most recent phones also support something called eSIM. Effectively this is a SIM card that's built into your phone but isn't pre-configured. If your phone supports this, and you're not currently using it (i.e. you're using the physical SIM slot) then they can just email you the QR code for your phone to scan, which will then configure the eSIM for you.
ski holidays
We have used o2 with roaming in the past,. Walmart sell sim cards but they are not cheap, and minimal data. 9-11 sell sims as well.
snow conditions
O2 30 gb pay monthly seems to be the minimum that allows roaming Including Canada.
latest report
Saintsman wrote:
EVERY mobile phone number requires a SIM. Some phones will support two physical SIM cards, and they will ship you a SIM card if you want to do that, or swap out your existing card.

Most recent phones also support something called eSIM. Effectively this is a SIM card that's built into your phone but isn't pre-configured. If your phone supports this, and you're not currently using it (i.e. you're using the physical SIM slot) then they can just email you the QR code for your phone to scan, which will then configure the eSIM for you.

Looks like the one for us, thanks!
ski holidays
I contacted them via email but the version that works in Canada (not the regular USA one on the website) seems a bit too expensive.

100USD for 5gb data over 36 days (75 for 30 days, 27 for 6)

Shorter durations are probably
snow report
Odd. I can get unlimited data, voice, and message for 43 days for 117USD
snow report
Sorry I think it was unlimited too my mistake.

The 5gb was for another esim for USA on the website but that one doesn’t work for Canada apparently
ski holidays
That's basically £2 a day. I don’t thinknyou can get cheaper in this market
ski holidays
Yeah I guess you're right. I'm just used to paying like £30 for Three PAYG and going roaming in most countries (admittedly not including Canada) for all my needs. I guess can't expect that anymore.
ski holidays
Though I've just found this

https://mobimatter.com/travel-esim/america/3hk-us-ca-uk-au-nz-35-gb-esim

40USD for 1 year activity 35GB and works in UK, USA, Can, HK, Aus/NZ. It gives you a Three mobile Hong Kong number though, which is fine for most I would have thought

Emailing them now to check there's no catch
snow conditions
Might well have all changed again by the time you get here (or not) Sad

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/canada-to-advise-citizens-against-non-essential-international-travel-due-to-omicron-variant-1.5707466
latest report
You can now get that link to pre-register for the [possible] post-arrival PCR directly from within the ArriveCan application. It takes you to the same place, but it's in the app itself following this morning's update.
latest report
A lot of speculation right now, a few articles stating they WON'T ban international arrivals, but I guess we won't know until tomorrow.

Although, I wouldn't be massively surprised if the UK ended up on their red list looking at our numbers...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We are due to depart Heathrow 5pm tomorrow. Have the booster and tested negative this morning for our travel PCR. Can't help but feel we are going to have to bin the trip.
snow report
@RosigLOL, sorry to hear that. Fingers crossed the news isn't as bad as borders completely closing.
snow report
dalehernando wrote:
@RosigLOL, sorry to hear that. Fingers crossed the news isn't as bad as borders completely closing.

Ach I guess it's the risk we all take looking at trips with covid going on. In my defence, when we booked it cases were on their way down.

I think at best we can expect a long quarantine or something to that effect but I guess we'll just need to wait and see!
snow conditions
@RosigLOL, we originally booked ours March 2020 (before everything kicked off) for Feb 2021, then moved it to Jan 2022. Really didn't think we would be in this situation now.

Good luck, keeping my fingers crossed for everyone!
latest report
The next couple of days are going to be very tense. You guys have made me very pessimistic about potential border restrictions for UK travellers! I only need them to hold off for 3 more days!!!! Sad
snow report
@Mountain Surfer, I’m trying to be optimistic I promise!
snow conditions
philwig wrote:
You can now get that link to pre-register for the [possible] post-arrival PCR directly from within the ArriveCan application. It takes you to the same place, but it's in the app itself following this morning's update.

If you pre-register yourself for it, is this so when they are at their target level of 100% of arrivals checked they already have your details so it saves time in theory? Meaning you can crack on and get on your way?

I was meant to be going to Fernie on 12th Jan but Crystal cancelled that last month so I’ve got my own DIY trip booked to Banff instead with SkiBig3 (who I went through for my first Banff trip last year) plus an Air Canada flight. It’s not until March though so hopefully things will have settled down by then.
ski holidays
@Saintsman, confused - it is an arrival PCR.

Does not augur well
https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/canada-likely-toughen-travel-curbs-omicron-concern-grows-cbc-2021-12-15/
ski holidays
Snowsartre wrote:
@Saintsman, confused - it is an arrival PCR.

Does not augur well
https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/canada-likely-toughen-travel-curbs-omicron-concern-grows-cbc-2021-12-15/

In Canada an arrivals PCR is FOC, conducted on behalf of the Canadian government. Immigration put a sticker on your passport, give you a ticket, and you get pointed into the correct queue. The sticker tells the greeters which queue. It's not something you can pay for, although there is a rumour going round that if you don't have you results by the end of the FOURTH(!!!!!) DAY you can go and get yourself a substitute test

Agree it's getting tight, but comments about increasing arrivals testing keep giving me hope - the only reason for that is to keep the border open
snow report
@Saintsman,

Maybe.
Trying not to be too negative about this, but the government just advised Canadian citizens not to travel (and even take domestic flights)
With respect, and unless you do happen to be a Canadian, you don't get to vote for the people making the rules, therefore if they are happy (or rather, concerned) enough to put the block on the people that vote for them, I'm afraid putting the block on those that don't isn't going to be a big concern for them.
snow conditions
So firstly, the advisory isn't really the same as an FCO advisory. For most Canadians, their travel insurance isn't impacted by this, and it's worth noting that they only actually removed this advisory as recently as October. It's basically lasted 6 weeks. (Apologies - just remembered that you are CDN, not trying to patronise you, more making non-CDNs aware of the difference)

I take the point about foreign travellers not being forefront of the federal government's minds, but reading the tea=leaves, they (or at least their $$$$s) do appear to be at the forefront of the provincial premiers, who told Trudeau that an international travel ban wasn't the fix they were looking for - they wanted the emphasis to be on controlling or limiting community transmission. Seeing as Doug Ford in Ontario today announced that Omicron is now already 80% of new cases you can see his point - it's already in and there's nothing they're going to do now at the border to stop or slow that
ski holidays
Saintsman wrote:

I take the point about foreign travellers not being forefront of the federal government's minds, but reading the tea=leaves, they (or at least their $$$$s) do appear to be at the forefront of the provincial premiers, who told Trudeau that an international travel ban wasn't the fix they were looking for - they wanted the emphasis to be on controlling or limiting community transmission. Seeing as Doug Ford in Ontario today announced that Omicron is now already 80% of new cases you can see his point - it's already in and there's nothing they're going to do now at the border to stop or slow that

From afar, it looks to me Canadians, like their cousins in Australia/NZ, prefer to keep the border strict to the careless foreigners.

It's not so much the new variants they bring in, it's just the virus they bring in that Canadians don't like. So 80% of a relatively small number of infections is still better than whatever % of a large number of infections!

With Omicron dominating the rest of the world very rapidly, I can see the rational to block incoming travelers. If Omicron turns into a real problem for the rest of the world, we'll be seeing renew lockdowns across the globe. The Canadians would be spared to worst of the impact. If, Omicron turns out to be not a problem, well, the Canadians aren't impacted as they're still free to go about their daily life with little restrictions.

I've spent a good few months in Canada this summer. (I'm American). That's before the Canadians could come into the US. I thought they would have been upset about that. But they didn't seem to care all that much. They were more concern we don't bring the virus in with us. (that "us" implicitly includes Canadian returning home from foreign travels)

So, it's not omicron they're worried about. It's just omicron makes so many vaccinated travelers carriers that worry them. And frankly, that's the worry in other countries too.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 16-12-21 1:18; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy