Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buffs as Covid Masks on French lifts

Poster: A snowHead
Masks are required on lifts in France and they’re clear these need to be of a higher standard than a bog-standard cloth buff.

I have a buff with filters that you can insert, but I also see some resorts are selling compliant buff things that don’t have a separate filter. Has anyone seen anything similar available in the UK?

https://www.les3vallees.com/en/guide/covid-19-peace-of-mind/3-vallees-mask-and-neck-warmer
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I had one with filters to insert last season and it was a bit of a pain as the filter never really stayed in place, so I'd be interested too.

Not that anyone really checked that the filter was there (in CH anyway), just a visual check that you had a mask on of some description
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We've bought some of these. https://www.outdoorgb.com/p/buff_filter_tube/?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=directory&utm_content=GBR&currency=GBP&country=GBR&SelectedBundle=197819&SelectedItem=840007&gclid=Cj0KCQiA15yNBhDTARIsAGnwe0XGk5w7buDKrnYSq0xVF0jQ2LGvpogDGtjRrR1OPvrrSHstxXapNskaAjSNEALw_wcB
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mikeje99 wrote:
We've bought some of these. https://www.outdoorgb.com/p/buff_filter_tube/?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=directory&utm_content=GBR&currency=GBP&country=GBR&SelectedBundle=197819&SelectedItem=840007&gclid=Cj0KCQiA15yNBhDTARIsAGnwe0XGk5w7buDKrnYSq0xVF0jQ2LGvpogDGtjRrR1OPvrrSHstxXapNskaAjSNEALw_wcB

I was looking at these. What worried me was whether I'd be able to pull them out of the way down below my chin comfortably while I was actually skiing. Have you had a go with them?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not tried it on under a helmet yet. Will give it a go later and report back.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mikeje99 wrote:

Does this have any markings on it to identify it being more than just a normal buff?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I do wonder how they’ll tell (or if they will).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just spoke with Morzine Tourist Office, who said that the lift pass sale points will be selling branded Covid buffs for €10 ( I think she meant anti-covid Smile )
If you get it from Pleney it will say "Morzine" on it, if you get it from Ardent or Prodains it will say "Avoriaz".
To avoid being in a big crowd of people buying passes for the weekend, you can buy your pass online, BUT will still need to fight the crowd to go and get your buff, so it's a bit counter-intuitive.
Although I think the Prodains office is open tomorrow, when I do not imagine there will be a big crowd.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mikeje99 wrote:

Really interested in some sort of FFP2 ski mask. The one you went for looks great however the Sportsshoes.com website say:

“The BUFF Filter Tube does not protect users or others against pathogens.“

More than happy to be corrected because I like the look of this product.

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/buf576/buff-filter-tube-~-ss21/?_cur=1&utm_campaign=uk-unpaid-shopping&utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_content=Filter+Tube&utm_term=URLrefresh&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIicu1zMrD9AIVh7HtCh0zlQ1sEAQYBiABEgK_H_D_BwE#sku-buf576
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
WindOfChange wrote:
Just spoke with Morzine Tourist Office, who said that the lift pass sale points will be selling branded Covid buffs for €10 ( I think she meant anti-covid Smile )
If you get it from Pleney it will say "Morzine" on it, if you get it from Ardent or Prodains it will say "Avoriaz".
To avoid being in a big crowd of people buying passes for the weekend, you can buy your pass online, BUT will still need to fight the crowd to go and get your buff, so it's a bit counter-intuitive.
Although I think the Prodains office is open tomorrow, when I do not imagine there will be a big crowd.

Ah, useful - I saw Les Gets were doing them. Think I’ll buy a few for la famille, even though I’ve bought the kids buff filtration ones for xmas!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I saw something the other day saying cloth masks not permitted in France.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@pam w, apparently. We shall see. I shall be testing the assertion in Italy this week.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
I saw something the other day saying cloth masks not permitted in France.

Strictly they have to have some sort of filtration thing - presumably the buffs the resorts are selling will be ok. But apparently lifties in resorts that are open aren’t checking - so standard buffs seem ok
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Really can’t see this being policed. As long as you’ve got something covering your face suspect you’ll be fine.

On a recent Aeroflot flight they came round after 3 hours to change everyone’s masks, on the basis that they stop working after a while, so not sure a wet rag on the slopes is going to provide much protection.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I guess the disposable one I've had in the inside pocket of my coat for at least three weeks might not be doing a lot either.
latest report
@under a new name, Be good to hear how you get on, hopefully heading to Selva mid December, wonder if they are selling Covid filter/buffs in Italy/Dolomites & generally how it goes.
latest report
I've got a Snowleader filter buff, dead easy to use, went up on opening day today, they were checking Passe Sanitaire but a lot of people without masks...... A few were pulled up on it, but a good 40% not wearing them.,......
snow conditions
The lift lady in Val Claret referred me to a local ski shop named BlackCats selling buffs that are good for filtering as well.
I've been there this morning, 30€ for a thicker cloth buff when no one on the lifts objected to everyone wearing regular buffs.
So no.
ski holidays
Had no problems skiing at Tignes and down to Val today wearing just a snowheads buff.......and my skiing kit as well Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Dougie wrote:
mikeje99 wrote:

Really interested in some sort of FFP2 ski mask. The one you went for looks great however the Sportsshoes.com website say:

“The BUFF Filter Tube does not protect users or others against pathogens.“

More than happy to be corrected because I like the look of this product.

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/buf576/buff-filter-tube-~-ss21/?_cur=1&utm_campaign=uk-unpaid-shopping&utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_content=Filter+Tube&utm_term=URLrefresh&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIicu1zMrD9AIVh7HtCh0zlQ1sEAQYBiABEgK_H_D_BwE#sku-buf576

Here you go: https://patrol-shop.com/

Bought a couple for the family, and the quality is top notch.
snow report
Got one too, nice build!
snow conditions
@DanishRider, That is fantastic. Thanks very much.
ski holidays
@DanishRider, Sorry to sound totally thick, but I don’t think it ships to England. I don’t speak German and have used Google Translate. Am I missing something? Many thanks

Edit: found it on the bottom. They only ship to EU.

The search continues….
snow report
this is from the Les Arc tourist info where they are selling buffs
the link didnt work but its easy to find from the blog section on the Les Arc website

Thank you for your interest in les Arcs Bourg St Maurice. We are delighted to welcome you during your stay.

Following your request, a certified premium mask with filtration greater than 90% will be accepted on ski lifts.

Follow the link for stockists in resort

https://www.lesarcs.com/blog/port-du-masque.html

We invite you to contact us for any further information. We hope to see you soon in les Arcs Bourg-St-Maurice.

Kind regards,

Olivia Bacot

LES ARCS – BOURG SAINT MAURICE TOURISME

+33 (0)4 79 07 12 57
snow report
Going to Les Houches in a couple of weeks. What's the latest? Are the lifties enforcing masks in the Cham area? Hoping to just get away with a snood or buff, or maybe the below:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beardski-Harlee-Gray-Ski-Mask/dp/B0049XFBGC/ref=asc_df_B0049XFBGC/?tag=amz07b-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309799295213&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14396419779926742989&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006886&hvtargid=pla-355806003726&psc=1&th=1
snow report
@The Masked Skier, a buff alone has been sufficient for me since 16th January everywhere in the Chamonix valley. Can't however speak for the experience of others.
ski holidays
Not Cham experience but in Chatel a week ago wearing a buff would put you in a minority. Most folk wore nowt and the lifties (mostly bear of face) showed no interest.

Its clearly nonsense anyway.
ski holidays
In Valberg, Alpes de Haute Provence, no masks ...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Regardless of what people predominantly doing/not doing, what is the current requirement in France?
Is a disposable surgeon's mask acceptable?
Is a buff acceptable?
Or should it be something else?
snow conditions
@milzibkit, obvs depends where you are ...

Valberg doesn't have any enclosed lifts so ...

Cham seemed to sort of want buffs, scarves, paper hankies on base bubbles no particular enforcement elsewhere ...
ski holidays
Last weekend in Saint Gervais they were tight on face coverings on the in closed bubbles or gondola , especially when in a enclosed gondola house.
When in the gondola/ bubble you seen people nodding at each other to make sure everyone was comfortable with them getting pulled down. If someone wanted them worn then people seemed to acknowledge that & kept them on.
A buff pulled up was acceptable
snow conditions
@milzibkit, As I understand it a buff that meets AFNOR SPEC S76-001 -UNS 1 ET UNS 2 is acceptable. Well that's what it says on the box and is what is selling in Tignes and Val. Enforcement is negligible as UANN says!
snow conditions
@Jonny996, a buff being utterly useless of course, acceptable or not rolling eyes
latest report
@under a new name, I agree but when the queue to the chair was not getting managed & was as cramped as I have ever seen it with no one wearing a mask does it really matter.
The buff is a nod towards the rules
snow report
@Jonny996, buffs are contagion theatre ...
snow conditions
chocksaway wrote:
@milzibkit, As I understand it a buff that meets AFNOR SPEC S76-001 -UNS 1 ET UNS 2 is acceptable. Well that's what it says on the box and is what is selling in Tignes and Val. Enforcement is negligible as UANN says!

Thanks.
snow conditions
Thank you good sirs. As I suspected, mostly window dressing but one needs a mask in the pocket for when a buff won't do. As I'm a sucker for merch, I might get a branded one like a mate bought back from 3 valleys recently.
https://boutique.les3vallees.com/products/2in1mask-by-les-3-vallees
latest report
Just back from 3V. Whilst most people wore a face covering of some sort in queues or bubbles (if mixed group) anything was acceptable. I had a filtered snood/buff from VDI but normal buffs, blue masks etc were in abundance. Lifties were generally reinforcing it but as long as something was on your face then they were happy. Same with restaurants and refuges.
latest report
Here's the La Plagne one - just a piece of 'special' material with the all important French Approval Logo €10 in all the sales points. (no longer on line)

https://boutique.la-plagne.com/en/en-attente-de-nom/souvenirs-de-la-plagne/tour-de-cou-covid-la-plagne
snow conditions
I got one of these before I went https://boutique.la-plagne.com/en/en-attente-de-nom/souvenirs-de-la-plagne/tour-de-cou-covid-la-plagne.
I bought one of these when I was out in Les Gets https://www.lesgets.com/en/practical-information/shops-and-services/official-merchandising/
I met two people wearing Snowheads buffs in Les Gets week commencing 15/1/22.

In the whole week no-one was enforcing mask wearing on chairs or lifts only got checked once on the lifts for the Pass Sanitaire which was the very quiet Monday, no checks on the exceptionally busy Saturdays or Sunday we were there. Restaurants and bars were rigorous in their checks.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy