Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Updates Travel Restrictions

Poster: A snowHead
@backhojo : a quick copy and paste !

"France has warned it may tighten rules for travellers coming from the UK, according to government spokesperson Gabriel Attal.
In the coming days, France may impose tougher travel rules for people coming from the UK.

“We’re looking into how we might strengthen our framework and that’s the work that is going on currently and I think might be completed in a few days,” said government spokesman, Gabriel Attal, in response to a question on France Info radio on Tuesday morning.

The move comes as each country grapples with rising Covid infections.

There are now at least 133 Omicron cases in France, according to Attal although the real number is likely far higher because not all positive cases are tested for the variant.

In the UK meanwhile, the number of Omicron cases is doubling every two to three days and forced the government to introduce stricter measures such as health passes. The country has also recorded its first death from this variant. .."
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Didn't France a few weeks ago say that they would make announcements on a Tuesday so as to allow time for the weekend change overs?
Fingers crossed they say nothing further today, or before the weekend (for selfish reasons as travelling out on Saturday)!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tougher Covid restrictions on UK travellers , well no surprise there with the current Govt plucking numbers then doubling them trying to scare the crap out the general public . I’m no anti vac’ er , fully jabbed normal member of the public BUT I can spot a campaign to justify decisions made to try and deflect partygate a mile off. Just had Raab saying there was 250 in hospital with Omni now coming back and said sorry it’s just 10 , we are dismissing anything that South Africa says . Whilst I don’t deny we have a new variant that is more transmissible the current govt and haming it up to the max . Expect Swiss style restrictions .
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
backhojo wrote:
shrew wrote:
Not much detail, but ... https://www.thelocal.fr/20211214/france-could-impose-tougher-covid-restrictions-on-travellers-from-uk/

seems to be behind a paywall so cant read it ?

Sorry, try https://archive.md/https://www.thelocal.fr/20211214/france-could-impose-tougher-covid-restrictions-on-travellers-from-uk/ but there's not a lot to it.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
albob wrote:

In the UK meanwhile, the number of Omicron cases is doubling every two to three days and forced the government to introduce stricter measures such as health passes. The country has also recorded its first death from this variant. .."

This is how things get out of hand in the media ...the death was "with" not "from". At the rate O is spreading every death in the UK could be "with" soon. Fingrs crossed things won't close down even further.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There’s a touch more detail on Reuters, where Attal mentions 48 hours. I wonder whether that would shorten to 24 hours? Otherwise why mention?

PARIS, Dec 14 (Reuters) - France is contemplating tightening controls for travellers coming from Britain, where the new, more contagious, Omicron coronavirus variant seems to be rapidly spreading, said French government spokesman Gabriel Attal.

"Regarding Britain, the current rule is to show a negative test less than 48 hours old in order to enter France," Attal told France Info radio on Tuesday.

"But we are always looking at means to tighten the framework, we are currently working on that and we should, I think, come to a conclusion in the coming days", he added.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
24hrs?
Test on arrival as per new text of entry forms?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ackie68 wrote:
24hrs?
Test on arrival as per new text of entry forms?

I could live with that. Just hoping not PCR and not quarantine (or close border to those without a pressing reason)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Ackie68, I believe that was a translation issue and it is actually random tests on arrival.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We are due updates from French & Scottish government’s today. I’ll hang off ordering my tests until I see what they say.
I’m hoping that they will stick with these over the festive period as changing plans over the holidays will be difficult.
Also for those flying out on Boxing Day, a 24 hour test window is going to be fun
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mrs_frostee wrote:
@Ackie68, I believe that was a translation issue and it is actually random tests on arrival.

Yes, hasn't that been in the statement of honour for ages now? I took it as "if we want to check you're telling the truth we'll test you to make sure"
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
all this Omnicron is a massive overreaction........ground zero is SA who 2-3 weeks ahead. Yes cases are high but deaths and hospital admissions low

all points to cases being milder....and not much more than a cold or mild flu.

I cna understand non jabbed getting restrictions but double or triple jabbed.....currently seems very little benefits vs nti vaxers
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stefoy4me wrote:

I cna understand non jabbed getting restrictions but double or triple jabbed.....

Unfortunately we all have to protect The flat earth society even if they won’t protect themselves
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jonny996 wrote:
stefoy4me wrote:

I cna understand non jabbed getting restrictions but double or triple jabbed.....

Unfortunately we all have to protect The flat earth society even if they won’t protect themselves
There’s certainly an element if that, but the reality is that there will be breakthrough infections even in triple-vaccinated, and for some of those people who are most vulnerable to infection the outcomes could be very severe. It’s not only the determinedly unvaccinated we are protecting when we get our jabs.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Specialman wrote:
mrs_frostee wrote:

Yes, hasn't that been in the statement of honour for ages now? I took it as "if we want to check you're telling the truth we'll test you to make sure"

it does state Antigen "· A sworn commitment to take an antigenic test or biological examination that may be conducted on arrival in metropolitan France;" then if this is +ve "self-isolate for seven days and another sworn commitment to take a biological virological screening test (PCR) at the end of the isolation" hope they will turn us round??!!

Agreed, essential travel only will be a disaster but even if we go red seems OK?

??? fingers crossed
latest report
stefoy4me wrote:
all this Omnicron is a massive overreaction........ground zero is SA who 2-3 weeks ahead. Yes cases are high but deaths and hospital admissions low

I cna understand non jabbed getting restrictions but double or triple jabbed.....currently seems very little benefits vs nti vaxers

This sounds awfully like what people were saying last year when COVID first hit (replace "non jabbed" with "the vulnerable").

You might be right, but you might also be wrong - it's 2 weeks to early to call it from the SA data. Most Delta cases are a mild flu, the problem is that a small proportion of them aren't, and a small proportion of a very large number is a big problem. Hospitalisations are rising in SA.
snow report
Ackie68 wrote:
Specialman wrote:
mrs_frostee wrote:

it does state Antigen "· A sworn commitment to take an antigenic test or biological examination that may be conducted on arrival in metropolitan France;" then if this is +ve "self-isolate for seven days and another sworn commitment to take a biological virological screening test (PCR) at the end of the isolation" hope they will turn us round??!!

Agreed, essential travel only will be a disaster but even if we go red seems OK?

??? fingers crossed

Travelers coming from a "red" country

Vaccinated travelers from a “red” country have to :

show a proof of their vaccination status ;
a negative PCR or antigen test of less than 48 hours before departure;
carry a sworn statement attesting that they have no symptoms of Covid-19 infection and that they are not aware of any contact with a confirmed case of Covid-19 in the 14 days prior to travel.

People who have been vaccinated with one of the vaccines recognized by the EMA or considered as equivalent (Pfizer/Comirnaty, Moderna, AstraZeneca/Vaxzevria/ Covishield/Fiocruz/R-Covia and Johnson & Johnson) will be considered as fully vaccinated:

7 days after the 2nd injection for double injection vaccines (Pfizer/Comirnaty, Moderna, AstraZeneca/Vaxzevria/Covishield/Fiocruz/R-Covi);
28 days after injection for vaccines with a single injection (Johnson & Johnson);
7 days after a single injection for people with a history of Covid-19.

People who have been vaccinated with a Sinopharm, Sinovac, Sputnik or other vaccines can be considered as fully vaccinated:

7 days after the single injection of a complementary dose of Messenger RNA vaccine (Pfizer or Moderna) for people who can justify being fully vaccinated with the Sinopharm or Sinovac vaccines (recognized by the WHO)
7 days after the 2nd injection of a Messenger RNA vaccine (Pfizer or Moderna) for people who are not fully vaccinated with the Sinopharm or Sinovac vaccine (recognized by the WHO) or who are vaccinated with a Sputnik vaccine or other vaccine (not recognized by EMA or WHO).
snow report
snowdave wrote:
stefoy4me wrote:

This sounds awfully like what people were saying last year when COVID first hit (replace "non jabbed" with "the vulnerable").

You might be right, but you might also be wrong - it's 2 weeks to early to call it from the SA data. Most Delta cases are a mild flu, the problem is that a small proportion of them aren't, and a small proportion of a very large number is a big problem. Hospitalisations are rising in SA.

+1
snow report
i m just hacked off with the whole thing and venting...........the lead Dr in SA is saying milder

SA are only 25% vaxed though
snow report
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/12/14/omicron-less-severe-covid-delta-variant-two-vaccine-jabs-give/

New study just out , won’t stop the juggernaut however
snow conditions
[quote="snowdave"]
stefoy4me wrote:
Hospitalisations are rising in SA.

According to who?? Unless I'm reading this wrong, seen a couple of interviews with medical staff in SA and its not what they are saying either...

https://www.nicd.ac.za/diseases-a-z-index/disease-index-covid-19/surveillance-reports/daily-hospital-surveillance-datcov-report/
ski holidays
stefoy4me wrote:
i m just hacked off with the whole thing and venting.....

Understandable. Everyone's on tenter hooks, looking at a gazillion different social media feeds and forums, with everyone throwing their two-penneth in... no wonder everyone is feeling stressed, confused and overwhelmed by it all.

I'll just be glad to have some respite from it all when I strap my skis on for the first time on Monday, and think of which high-calorie snack will go with a refreshing beer while I chill out in the Andorran sun.
latest report
specialman......sounds good.

I m not off until the 28th but would bring forward and just go if anything changes too heavily
snow report
psenior1 wrote:

According to who?? Unless I'm reading this wrong, seen a couple of interviews with medical staff in SA and its not what they are saying either...

https://www.nicd.ac.za/diseases-a-z-index/disease-index-covid-19/surveillance-reports/daily-hospital-surveillance-datcov-report/

Did you read this part?
"The current epidemiological week may have fewer admissions as it is not complete".
snow report
Hmmm... fingers crossed, but may further disrupt Xmas travel to France...

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/france-will-not-take-new-measures-now-over-covid-despite-omicron-variant-attal-2021-12-14/?fbclid=IwAR0yFLC5XaVQNHFMEXgJdiEB8XJQlcjVVYhw9D_Nh47-fUzQxA9F9a6w4E0
ski holidays
snowdave wrote:
psenior1 wrote:

Did you read this part?
"The current epidemiological week may have fewer admissions as it is not complete".

Do we think we have gone off thread topic a bit......?
latest report
snowdave wrote:
psenior1 wrote:

Did you read this part?

nope, my bad rolling eyes
snow report
stefoy4me wrote:

I agree. It is an overreaction and just makes no sense. The only caveat I would give is that Sth Africa are in Summer vs Europe in the Winter, but that's not a good enough reason to impose the restrictions they have.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ricky B, Fingers crossed indeed - I hope they all see sense - it's in France and UK and all other EU countries so restricting travel will achieve nothing.

Apart from make politicians look like they are doing something - which is the worry Confused
snow conditions
@Boris, precisely
ski holidays
One of the first South African doctors to spot that a new Covid variant was spreading has said the country is seeing mainly “mild disease” and low death rates.

Dr Angelique Coetzee, chair of the South African Medical Association - who has been a GP for 33 years - says the majority of people in hospital in South Africa are unvaccinated and intensive care units are “not overwhelmed by Covid”.

Speaking to the UK's science and technology committee of MPs, she says the Omicron was first detected there nearly four weeks ago.

Dr Coetzee first noticed people complaining of a headache and sore muscles - even those who had been vaccinated - although patients who had not been jabbed appeared to experience more intense symptoms. The patients she had seen recovered in around five days.

Because only one in every 200 positive test results in South Africa are genomically sequenced (to confirm whether they are caused by Omicron or another variant), Dr Coetzee said it wasn’t possible to say exactly how many patients had the new variant.

But she said in the past five days, there had been fewer than 50 Covid deaths per day and the number of positive cases had stayed stable and not increased.

Some boosters have been given to health workers but not offered more widely to the general population, 23% of whom are fully vaccinated.
snow conditions
Ackie68 wrote:
albob wrote:

This is how things get out of hand in the media ...the death was "with" not "from". At the rate O is spreading every death in the UK could be "with" soon. Fingrs crossed things won't close down even further.

This is such as valuable point. As we move from pandemic to endemic its critical that we stop using "with" as a measure of how serious this is. I am sure the government will continue to use it to present "false" data that its really bad and we need to protect hospitals etc, when in fact the stats so far are showing most hospitals that are currently stressed are not due to covid but "normal" business and most people in hospital with Covid are unvaccinated and given the virus that will continue.

Its critical people start house "due to" otherwise the stats are genuinely meaningless
ski holidays
Specialman wrote:
Arctic Roll wrote:
....He also said that the LFT should have been taken less than 24 hrs before travel, despite everything we'd read being 48. "but he'd let us through because it was Christmas..."

Fair play. Shows that there is so much inconsistent info floating around, even at higher levels.

What a bloody farce, you really couldn’t make this up, could You?
snow report
Specialman wrote:
Hells Bells wrote:
Just put a dent in the holiday fund by ordering all the tests needed from Randox.....

I'm not thinking about the £300 that these boxes represent. Shocked

IMG-2306

I feel your pain...I have to order 10No LFTs & 5No PCRs rolling eyes rolling eyes

Anyone know if you get a discount on bulk purchases Toofy Grin
latest report
michaelbury17 wrote:
Amazon.
latest report
There has been chat on here about the French government announcing updates there travel restrictions today.
Does anyone know what time they will make the statement?
I’m going wait for these before ordering the test kits
snow conditions
@Jonny996, nothing specific has been mentioned. A French gov spokesman said on. A radio interview they are monitoring situation in UK. Of course they need to monitor situation.
However omicron is already in France and Europe. If they were to introduce restrictions how long before they would back pedal as the UK have just done by removing the red list
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
michaelbury17 wrote:
Amazon.

Cheers...appreciate the tip Toofy Grin
snow report
We are flying out (or hoping to) to France on 15th January. Is there any reason why I cannot buy my tests (Maybe Randox??) now? Just in case there is some delay during the week we want to travel.
ski holidays
Apart from the fact the requirement may be dropped, but if you’re happy to pay then no reason
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy