Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Updates Travel Restrictions

Poster: A snowHead
if there were no pre-flight test, how would I know if I were positive? It strikes me that you’re looking for malign intent where none exists. Whether you mean it as a dig or otherwise, it certainly appears that way. It’s rather reminiscent of saying “no offence but” followed by something obviously insulting. I am more than happy to comply with any Covid requirements I need to, as I said though, I simply cannot afford to quarantine in France in the event of having a positive test before returning. Perhaps you can, in which case I’m very happy for you.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am so confused can someone put me straight please? We fly to Geneva on Boxing Day for a holiday in France. We are all fully vaccinated.
Is this correct:
We need a negative pcr or lft taken less than 48hrs before travel, so Christmas Eve. This can be from randox/Excalibur or similar, we self test then upload the evidence then they email a certificate?
We then take with us a lft for 2 days before travelling home, Geneva flight to UK.
Then another test within 2 days of getting home.
Apologies for being dumb but I’ve read so much and the Geneva/France thing has left me addled!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PrinceJohn wrote:
if there were no pre-flight test, how would I know if I were positive? It strikes me that you’re looking for malign intent where none exists. Whether you mean it as a dig or otherwise, it certainly appears that way. It’s rather reminiscent of saying “no offence but” followed by something obviously insulting. I am more than happy to comply with any Covid requirements I need to, as I said though, I simply cannot afford to quarantine in France in the event of having a positive test before returning. Perhaps you can, in which case I’m very happy for you.

Presumably you'd have known you were positive because you'd have thought I'd better take a lateral test before going through an airport
and on an aeroplane with a hundred plus people?

We're taking lateral flow tests before meeting friends and family indoors, if others aren't when going into areas with lots of people this may explain why governments have to mandate them.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@7ncj, Gosh, Captain Virtuous. Everyone else on that plane will be double/triple vaccinated and about as safe as they are going to be from serious illness. Are you doing the same for all other respiratory viruses? Will you continue doing this forever given Covid's not going anyway any time soon.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
feefee wrote:
I am so confused can someone put me straight please? We fly to Geneva on Boxing Day for a holiday in France. We are all fully vaccinated.
Is this correct:
We need a negative pcr or lft taken less than 48hrs before travel, so Christmas Eve. This can be from randox/Excalibur or similar, we self test then upload the evidence then they email a certificate?
We then take with us a lft for 2 days before travelling home, Geneva flight to UK.
Then another test within 2 days of getting home.
Apologies for being dumb but I’ve read so much and the Geneva/France thing has left me addled!

See the Summary for Fully Vaxxed people thread
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@7ncj. Of course you take a lat flow every time you leave the house to go to a shop, an indeed insist that everyone you meet has had a lateral flow test as well.
Go parade your noisy false virtue in front of someone it may impress. Firstly I am calling you a liar, secondly, an appalling bore. Thirdly, I will also had planned to take the euro tunnel, its a largish car but unlikely to take hundreds of people.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fuzzydunlop wrote:
@ajc2260626,

I've just bought 2 and paid £5 extra for 1 hour turn round on the certificate - £20 each and free postage. https://testngo.co.uk/pages/order-antigen-pcr-test-home

Look at those reviews though.... You're better off spending couple of quid more and going randox / chronomics!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@feefee, Currently as you are landing in Geneva/Switzerland you need a PCR within 72hrs of departure. The fact you are crossing the border to France within probably 60mins doesn’t matter.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@muppet, thank you, so this could be impossible being that it’s Christmas, the post certainly won’t work.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PrinceJohn wrote:

The French rules on contacts of +ve tests are harsh by the way (from ameli.fr):

For 'regular' covid, vaccinated contacts are not required to quarantine but to be careful/sensible (roughly). However, any unvaccinated contacts (i.e your children) are obliged to quarantine for 7-days IF they can isolate from the original case. If they can't (because you are e.g. in a ski apartment), then they must isolate for 17 days from the onset of symptoms in the original case.

For 'fancy' omicron covid, all contacts, vaccinated or not, are required to isolate for 7-days if they can separate from the original case, and again 17-days if they can't.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
7ncj wrote:
PrinceJohn wrote:

Presumably you'd have known you were positive because you'd have thought I'd better take a lateral test before going through an airport
and on an aeroplane with a hundred plus people?

We're taking lateral flow tests before meeting friends and family indoors, if others aren't when going into areas with lots of people this may explain why governments have to mandate them.

Sorry, but I disagree.

We flew back from Geneva on 30 November and didn't test before flying (either way), as we weren't required to.

What is the point of a vaccine (& I've now had 3, plus a flu jab) if we are going to live our lives in fear and under oppressive testing rules?

Until now, there was nobody more compliant than me. But this testing regime, in the context of a variant that seems to be giving very little dehabilitation, is the final (way OTT) straw. Sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Bergmeister, may you rot in hell for even suggesting such heresy! Our free thinking democracies only have our best interests at heart . . .so sucketh it up . . . Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Bergmeister, @Bergmeister, Bang on. The evidence so far is that this new variant will pass through the population more quickly and therefore cause illness in the unvaccinated more quickly-but not affect vaccinated people any more than Delta might. So sorry, I have zero sympathy for people who have chosen to turn down a vaccine and struggle to see why I should pay more to travel in order to protect them from their bad decisions.
In the end, the same number of unvaccinated people will get infected, and from that, get ill or die. It will just happen a bit more quickly.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@snowhound, @PrinceJohn, wow, just wow. I'm delighted I've inadvertently helped bring two such like minded individuals together.

No, I don't take a lateral flow every time I leave the house, to go to the shops, but as a household we have done one at least twice a week for months. It identified very quickly when my children were positive, with no symptoms and we therefore cancelled plans to see vulnerable family members.

Where needed I've done extra ones when spending more than a few minutes indoors with family /friends, travelling by train, attending all day meetings, going to the cinema, weddings and a funeral. Why wouldn't you, it takes seconds? The additional current restrictions are hopefully short term until they've worked out how big a problem the new variant is,.for both the vaccinated and unvaccinated.

Unfortunately there are clearly quite a few morons who don't, or choose not to, understand that.

Anyway, back to skiing.... fingers crossed everyone gets the trip they're hoping to undertake.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
feefee wrote:
@muppet, thank you, so this could be impossible being that it’s Christmas, the post certainly won’t work.

Most airports have rapid on site tests with results in three hours. I’m planning to get tested on 24th which will be valid for travel on 26th.
ski holidays
It is rather telling how the mood here has swung from "Why, oh why aren't the government doing anything? I can only believe they want to kill sweet old grannies." to "These testing requirements are ridiculous overkill, whatever happened to the Bulldog Spirit?" now that the ski season has come around again and everyone's holiday plans are being buggered up.
latest report
@CV, my thoughts exactly . . . .hence my somewhat sarky post. But then this whole thing has been about dividing opinions from the get go . . .I have now turned to god (a la the old, pre-covid god fearing days) - dear god, I've been a good boy, please let me go skiing in January - amen
snow conditions
@CV, that's unfair.
snow conditions
Has anybody been able to ascertain whether there is a requirement for "Supervised" lateral flow tests either for the outgoing trips to France or the return back to the UK? We drive out on Friday.... and have all ordered unsupervised.
ski holidays
@Layne, No its 100% true . . .read some of the posts from when this whole debacle started . . .def shift in attitudes . . .if not a shift in 'expressed' attitudes . . .
latest report
CV wrote:
It is rather telling how the mood here has swung from "Why, oh why aren't the government doing anything? I can only believe they want to kill sweet old grannies." to "These testing requirements are ridiculous overkill, whatever happened to the Bulldog Spirit?" now that the ski season has come around again and everyone's holiday plans are being buggered up.

It's to do with the fact that many of us have now had 2 jabs, and some of us have had 3.

Why have we all bothered with the vaccine? In the context of the jabs I think these new requirements are way over the top and an overreaction of the highest order. Sad
ski holidays
userscott wrote:
Has anybody been able to ascertain whether there is a requirement for "Supervised" lateral flow tests either for the outgoing trips to France or the return back to the UK? We drive out on Friday.... and have all ordered unsupervised.

Answering my own question but UK entry confirmed as unsupervised now, France believed to be the same.
latest report
Even though I believe the risk to be small enough to not stop me cancelling, what are the implications of a positive test? There will be 4 of us in a rented apartment in Meribel. If one of us tests positive 2 days before departure, can any of us travel? The apartment is only available for a week - where do we quarantine after that - and how do we get there (our taxi to Lyon may not why to transport us)?
snow report
stodge wrote:
Even though I believe the risk to be small enough to not stop me cancelling, what are the implications of a positive test? There will be 4 of us in a rented apartment in Meribel. If one of us tests positive 2 days before departure, can any of us travel? The apartment is only available for a week - where do we quarantine after that - and how do we get there (our taxi to Lyon may not why to transport us)?

This is our main concern as well (heading to Les Arcs on 19/12 for 12 days). 2 adults, 2 children. If one of us tests positive it is impossible to isolate in our apartment. I have read somewhere that if the person who tests positive cannot isolate, the whole group must isolate for an extended period. I think I have seen 17 days quoted somewhere but this may be incorrect (I hope!!)
ski holidays
Bergmeister wrote:
CV wrote:

It's to do with the fact that many of us have now had 2 jabs, and some of us have had 3.

Why have we all bothered with the vaccine? In the context of the jabs I think these new requirements are way over the top and an overreaction of the highest order. Sad

I agree with CV. Many of the amateur epidemiologists on here haven’t appreciated that the professional epidemiologists are very worried that this latest variant is more infectious and may be vaccine resistant , also that as it becomes more successful it may give rise to further variants with further vaccine resistance and greater thread to health.

I hope that a consequence of the new restrictions is that skiers will be more inclined to stay in their accommodation rather than indulge in the petri-dish apres ski activities that were a direct driver for the European pandemic in early 2020
snow report
X5OT76 wrote:
stodge wrote:

This is our main concern as well (heading to Les Arcs on 19/12 for 12 days). 2 adults, 2 children. If one of us tests positive it is impossible to isolate in our apartment. I have read somewhere that if the person who tests positive cannot isolate, the whole group must isolate for an extended period. I think I have seen 17 days quoted somewhere but this may be incorrect (I hope!!)

French requirements are to isolate for 10 days, plus another 48 hours if you still have a temperature at 10 days. Unlike some other countries who can assist with quarantine accomodation France just states that travellers must plan to make their own arrangements in those circumstances.

I agree it's relatively low risk but folk should go into this with their eyes wide open to risk of overseas travel at the moment.

I still plan (hope) to go, are driving to provide additional flexibility and fully understand what I'm covered for and what I'm not by my travel insurance. We've also chosen a resort without large cable cars or funiculars as the main lifts, to reduce the risk.

10 days in a Première Classe hotel whilst on unpaid leave from work would be horrible, but doable if it came to it. Might even cure my ski addiction in the longer term!
snow conditions
userscott wrote:
userscott wrote:

Answering my own question but UK entry confirmed as unsupervised now, France believed to be the same.

As far as I can make out you can use the unsupervised ones as long as long as they are private not nhs!
latest report
Quote:

I agree with CV. Many of the amateur epidemiologists on here haven’t appreciated that the professional epidemiologists are very worried that this latest variant is more infectious and may be vaccine resistant , also that as it becomes more successful it may give rise to further variants with further vaccine resistance and greater thread to health.

And here’s the issue, what was the point of vaccine roll out if we’re back to square 1? Sure we could go round the loop again and develop a new vaccine, but then what in 18-24 months time when variant X turns up?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boris wrote:

And here’s the issue, what was the point of vaccine roll out if we’re back to square 1? Sure we could go round the loop again and develop a new vaccine, but then what in 18-24 months time when variant X turns up?
In what way are we back to square 1?
latest report
Quote:

In having ski holidays mucked up. wink
snow report
Boris wrote:
Quote:

Vaccines reduce the risk of serious illness and death by orders of magnitude. That's the point.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

In having ski holidays mucked up. wink
Last winter I’d didn’t ski at all, not even indoors. I drive to the alps in a few days. There are frustrations, hassles and unwanted expense, for sure. Most certainly we have been through “two steps forward, one step back” repeatedly over the last couple of years? But back to square 1? I don’t think so. That’s spreading unwarranted gloom, IMO.
latest report
There is also a Bash going on and various resorts are open/opening. The very fact people on here are discussing the best ways to test, download QR codes, whether to fly or drive etc. shows how much progress has been made. To say we are back to square one is not only doom mongery but shows a profound lack of gratitude.
ski holidays
i do find it frustrating that the UK restrictions seem to have a lesser difference between the vaccinated & un-vaccinated.
I am all for freedom of choice but if you chose not to get vaccinated you should be prepared for the consciences & not expect everyone to have restrictions to protect you.
snow conditions
@Jonny996, Agreed
snow report
Despite my grievances with the new restrictions, I’m now booked in for my COVID vaccination booster shot, things can and will change over the next few weeks and I’d rather be ready for the best case scenario where a booster is likely required!
snow conditions
From Le Monde this morning, they are suggesting that the French government is not planning any more restrictions (such as home working) until Christmas. This is speculation prior to the Defence Council meeting later. Fingers crossed.
snow report
Just gad my booster at a walk in place...only so i can travel.. even though it may not happen..france now above our figures... so some more restrictions must be on their way...
latest report
All I can say to summise, is that I'm surrounded by packs of tests and the van is sat here packed and ready for the Alps on Friday and I really, really, really hope that we get to go. How can it be that four days out and I have absolutely no idea whether we are going or not!
snow report
@Jonny996, agreed. Unvaccinated people should have way more hoops to go through. Or indeed not allowed to travel.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy