Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Updates Travel Restrictions

Poster: A snowHead
Montan wrote:
AndyCooke wrote:
@James77 - if it runs out on the 15th, does that mean we can travel on the 15th or not until the 16th?
I know it's a very pedantic question, but my trip is currently for the 15th.

Welcome to SnowHeads snowHead - the decree expires on 15/1 but it may be lapsed, extended or otherwise modified on that day, hence the uncertainty for all with holidays booked for the next few weeks

Thanks. I've actually been a member for ages, but never got around to commenting before Smile

I'm guessing that it means that IF they do nothing, we can enter France from the 15th onwards?
(I'm kind of more hopeful of that than of any specific decree releasing it, because of the "inaction is easier than action" bias.
To release it, Macron has to say that it's not necessary. To extend it, he has to say it's necessary. Do nothing and it goes away on its own, and in this very specific case, that might be just in time for me (assuming it expiring on the 15th means I can fly out on the 15th. If it means the 15th is its last day of validity, that'd be really annoying)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@KenX, I have mentioned and seen mention that there was going to be an internal conseil scientifique meeting today, but I don't think I've mentioned or seen any evidence of any public announcements today. I'm reasonably sure they'd have been talking about it on the radio and in the papers?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Le Fig mentions that a state of emergency has been declared in the Caribbean territories, so it might well be an announcement on that rather than more general.

(40 per cent vaccinated in Guadeloupe and 31 per cent in French Guiana, out of interest)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
AndyCooke wrote:

I'm guessing that it means that IF they do nothing, we can enter France from the 15th onwards?
(I'm kind of more hopeful of that than of any specific decree releasing it, because of the "inaction is easier than action" bias.
To release it, Macron has to say that it's not necessary. To extend it, he has to say it's necessary. Do nothing and it goes away on its own, and in this very specific case, that might be just in time for me (assuming it expiring on the 15th means I can fly out on the 15th. If it means the 15th is its last day of validity, that'd be really annoying)

100% get the theory (and nice thinking!), but I think it's too high profile for that to happen. And you could argue that the reverse is actually true - if they continue with the restrictions, then apart from some civil servants extending the date out on their systems, everything carries on as has been. But if they change the requirements then they'll have to do comms out to all the official areas that need it, update the press etc etc. Especially as these days there really isn't any normal, so when an announcement is made it will be for a 'new' or 'different' set of restrictions, rather than just simply removing them.

EDIT: the positive spin on the above is, that if there's no such thing (in reality) as just letting the restrictions run out, then there's also no real advantage for them to wait till the 15th to change them..
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can't find anything about a Boris brief today at 3.30pm.
He is doing PMQs at 3pm though....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@chocksaway, Correct -- after PMQ'S there will be a Covid-19 update from the PM
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just saw this on a Morzine Facebook page...

Attal’s press conf today - apols for dodgy translation from France Info website:

franceinfo
The government has
decided to "expand the list of compelling
reasons, especially professional
reasons". for travel between France and
the United Kingdom, announces Gabriel
Attal.

Restrictions could be even lighter
next week, he adds, recognizing that the
Omicron variant now affects both
countries in a similar way.

Possible light at the end of the tunnel?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Duplicate post

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 5-01-22 14:55; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some positive news coming out of France press conference for potential relaxation for professional reasons and perhaps even
more next week now that Omicron has reach both countries to same levels. Am sure someone will post a link when it’s available.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
no_snow_in_swindon wrote:
Just saw this on a Morzine Facebook page...

Possible light at the end of the tunnel?

Please let it not be a Eurostar Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Travel restrictions between the UK and France will be eased slightly amid a "supersonic" rise in French infections, a French government spokesman has said.

Gabriel Attal said that France will make it a "bit easier " to travel to and from the UK, widening the official list of valid reasons for travel.

The French Government banned British holidaymakers from travelling to France late last year amid a surge in omicron cases in the UK.

Travellers have only been allowed to enter France for specific valid reasons, including nationals or residents returning home, urgent family matters and essential work. The extended list of valid reasons for travel has not yet been clarified.

The easing of travel restrictions comes amid a "supersonic" rise in Covid infections in France, which shows no signs of slowing down in the coming days, Mr Attal said.

He said that infections were reaching "stratospheric levels" in the Ile-de-France region around Paris and some other parts of France, and said that the situation in hospitals could worsen in coming weeks.

Attal also said that the government had declared a health state of emergency in the French overseas territories of Guadeloupe, Guyana, Mayotte, Saint-Martin and Saint-Barthélémy, where the infection rate is soaring. A state of emergency was already in place in La Réunion and Martinique.

Omicron is now dominant in France and is driving a high number of daily infections. A total of 271,686 new Covid infections were reported in France over the past 24 hours.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for translation.

Any update on when the extended list will be published?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Weathercam, good catch.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/covid-news-coronavirus-pcr-tests-plan-b-omicron-boosters/

Source for the post above (go to 2:32pm) it’s live so fingers crossed specifics might be released today.

Looks like PCR tests on return to the UK are also being scrapped
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looks like the Day 2 PCR is scrapped:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/01/05/pcr-tests-ditched-travellers-arriving-uk/

(not news about France, but still some good news!)
latest report
HilbertSpace wrote:
Looks like the Day 2 PCR is scrapped:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/01/05/pcr-tests-ditched-travellers-arriving-uk/

(not news about France, but still some good news!)

To be scrapped and replaced with Day 2 Lateral Flow Tests
ski holidays
although you will still need a Day 2 LFT
ski holidays
Pre departure tests to be scrapped too. So no chance of getting stranded overseas.
ski holidays
Rob_Quads wrote:
although you will still need a Day 2 LFT

Day 2 LFT - fine! I dn't have an issue with the Day 2. Key really is the Pre-Departure LFT to come back to the UK. Scrap that and travel is fine. Now all we need is some positive news from France and 3 Vallees 2022 is back on!
ski holidays
I cannot imagine that the French, in the position they are in, are going to expand their list of reasons for travel from the UK to include 'tourism'. Certainly not in the first instance I'd imagine. Sorry if I sound like a pooper. I've got a trip booked in Feb half term and have missed the last 2 years family skiing because of Covid so very eager to go.

However, I have lots of issues on the table: UK return rules (sounds almost sorted - let's hope that lasts!), French entry ban (which I am sure will be reversed but maybe not as quickly as we hope, proposed French vaccine passport (we are 2 adults treble jabbed but 2 kids only 1 jabbed - possibly 1 with 2 jabs prior to trip......but that leaves a 1 jabber....and if the vaccine passport doesn't include negative test results we won't be going).
snow conditions
Kettonskimum1971 wrote:
I cannot imagine that the French, in the position they are in, are going to expand their list of reasons for travel from the UK to include 'tourism'. Certainly not in the first instance I'd imagine. Sorry if I sound like a pooper. I've got a trip booked in Feb half term and have missed the last 2 years family skiing because of Covid so very eager to go.

However, I have lots of issues on the table: UK return rules (sounds almost sorted - let's hope that lasts!), French entry ban (which I am sure will be reversed but maybe not as quickly as we hope, proposed French vaccine passport (we are 2 adults treble jabbed but 2 kids only 1 jabbed - possibly 1 with 2 jabs prior to trip......but that leaves a 1 jabber....and if the vaccine passport doesn't include negative test results we won't be going).

I think it might do, but only for the vaccinated. Macron made such a deal of calling out the unvaccinated, and saying he was going to make their life as hard as possible - consequently it would be strange if in easing restrictions, it included allowing unvaccinated people from other countries to travel to France. Which unfortunately could impact British teenagers (although a large % would have had their 2nd jab by Feb half term). Obviously all speculation...

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 5-01-22 17:01; edited 1 time in total
snow report
New member here after lurking for many years! We are meant to be skiing in VT from Saturday. Thought it was going to be cancelled but now in this strange limbo where we might end up with half a holiday so can’t get proper refunds! Wish the French government would release a bit more info. (Extremely aware this is a massive whinge, it will just be the third time this holiday will have been cancelled / moved Sad )
latest report
PM has just announced that UK travel Pre-departure tests scrapped : Only LFT needed for entry/return
snow report
lower wrote:
Pre departure tests to be scrapped too. So no chance of getting stranded overseas.

As I posted at around midday! Very Happy
snow conditions
@Kettonskimum1971, How many other countries are banned from France?
ski holidays
From what I'm reading, the relaxations (not yet announced) are concerning travel to the UK and subsequent return, no mention yet of easing UK to France for the British..........
Hopefully later there will be some clarity.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
Minion1980 wrote:

*the new French variant that has been around longer than omicron, has only infected 12 people and pretty much every single epidemiologist/virologist I’ve seen disregard as something to worry about at the moment.

Source?

see, f'rinstance, https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1477005297403191296

"May I make a suggestion. This isn’t new. The preprint just got uploaded like two days ago but that’s it. If anyone does a Google search they’ll see this pops up as early as October/November https://deseret.com/coronavirus/2021/11/16/22785162/new-covid-19-variant-france-spike-protein-mutations and hasn’t done much. Omicron kinda blew this out of the water."

And https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1478130286072410118

Chise is an excellent account to follow. Been following for quite a while now
latest report
@Handy Turnip - I think you are probably on the mark with your comments. There is no way he can go hard ball on his people but soften off for non EU. And they started teenage vaccinations back in June so not his problem we started later (oh, and leave a 12 week gap between doses when theirs is 3-4 weeks). Unfortunately my eldest chose not to have the vaccine in September and changed his mind at the end of November when he realised he might be exempt from holidays! I took my eye off the ball timing wise.

However, I do have a back up plan booked with going first week of April school hols - and hoping that by then, a lot of this will have gone away.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Charliegolf wrote:
lower wrote:

And I posted similar at 10.10 !!! Toofy Grin

(It was speculation then -- now it is official...)
latest report
Charliegolf wrote:
lower wrote:

But formally confirmed now Smile

Things are heading in the right direction.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 5-01-22 16:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
albob wrote:
PM has just announced that UK travel Pre-departure tests scrapped : Only LFT needed for entry/return

Typical Laughing mine have just arrived in the post. Don't need the return to UK one now, and the Day 2 PCR I've bought only needs to be a LFT.... oh well. I'm not expecting a refund on the Return to UK, but hopefully QURED might swap the PCR for an LFT?
snow report
Not allowed into France yet - but this may be a move in the right direction - from Planet Ski.

Quote:
Exact details have not been revealed but France is ready to ease the strict travel restrictions to and from the UK. The announcement was made by the French government spokesman. It is unclear how it will impact skiing and tourism.

Gabriel Attal added in his briefing on Wednesday that restrictions may be eased even further as early as next week, because “the Omicron variant is affecting both countries in a similar manner”.

https://planetski.eu/2022/01/05/france-set-to-ease-some-border-restrictions-with-uk/
ski holidays
Would the fact that I just went through covid one week ago change anything considering I'm supposed to travel on 22nd?(Grenoble)
latest report
Kettonskimum1971 wrote:

Unless I’ve missed something huge (and I’m sure I haven’t), testing is still valid for under 18s who are not fully jabbed for the pass sanitaire. They only removed the resting option for adults
snow report
corshidan wrote:
Would the fact that I just went through covid one week ago change anything considering I'm supposed to travel on 22nd?(Grenoble)
what exact date did you test positive? And what is your vaccine status?
snow report
Anybody want some LFT predeparture and day 2 PCR tests cheap?
snow conditions
Timmycb5 wrote:
corshidan wrote:

2 Doses + booster

28 December
ski holidays
Quote:

Unless I’ve missed something huge (and I’m sure I haven’t), testing is still valid for under 18s who are not fully jabbed for the pass sanitaire. They only removed the resting option for adults

Oooh - so my question surrounds whether this rule will carry over to the new vaccine pass that replaces the pass sanitaire?
ski holidays
Quote:

Oooh - so my question surrounds whether this rule will carry over to the new vaccine pass that replaces the pass sanitaire?

That is my big question. Booked to go early April. My just-turned-12 year old will only be allowed second jab 3 days before we go. So at the minute, that leaves us a bit stuck if 12 year olds will also have to be fully vaccinated and have proof to be able to ski. I don’t care so much about the restaurants..
latest report
corshidan wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:
corshidan wrote:

2 Doses + booster

28 December

Others who've been in your exact position before will be able to confirm, but as I understand it, you NHS covid pass will have been overridden by you positive test, but it should reappear 14 days after infection.

As I said, others will have to confirm the exact timings, but it’s definitely been discussed on here before.

If my timings are correct you should be fine
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy