Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Updates Travel Restrictions

Poster: A snowHead
brownie wrote:
You could take a spare LF test in case it’s needed at any point? I’ve bought an extra one in case it’s needed or some new rules come in when I am out there

That’s a good call.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chrisjshort wrote:
But the Swiss rules state that if you've been in the UK in previous 10 (or did it say 14) days you need to do the test. I think!!!

I think that’s specifically for air/coach passengers - in the unlikely event of you being stopped at the border you’ll be in a car.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@philipb, I have checked certificates from tests done at home and tests done in a clinic and there is no material difference between them - it doesn't state who or where the test was administered. 'Home test' or 'self administered' refers to you doing the test yourself and NOT having a certificate to prove that you have done it. So, the NHS tests are not acceptable. A test that is sent to your home, you do the test, take the photo, send it off, is acceptable. My children have used these to enter France, Austria and Spain in the last six months.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks. Really appreciate this. I've been so anxious what with first Austria going into lockdown, then Omicron, changes to coming back to UK, Switzerland potentially stopping me going from Tignes to Austria for the 13th then French travel conditions. I'm driving to Folkestone on Sunday! I feel I'm sorted having got a couple fit to fly lateral flow tests.

Thanks for the input.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Assuming Austria is open for business we are driving across France to Austria on Boxing day (covid test on Christmas day 1pm valid for 48hrs ), then on the 2nd Jan driving to Aussois in France for a few weeks.

On current regulations would we need to take a Covid test prior to travel from Austria to France ?? by Jan 2nd would have been out of UK for 8 days.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My c19 testing lateral flows arrived today - planning to take with us as spares in case restrictions change.

Sort of tempted to book PCRs rather than lateral flow for the outbound as then we'll definitely be ok if Spain changes its rules for entry. Just trying to figure out is my peace of mind worth the £60 each difference in price Eh oh!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So for clarity:

1) I need a LF/PCR to go from the UK to France; and

2) I need a day 2 PCR to go from France to the UK?

Children 11 and over need a LF/PCR to go to France and everyone needs a day 2 PCR to come home.

is that the long and the short of it?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@rachelharrisonsmith, thanks for that, mich appreciated. My daughter is going on her uni trip at the end of next week so we're keen to get it right!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FrediKanoute wrote:
So for clarity:

Children 11 and over need a LF/PCR to go to France and everyone needs a day 2 PCR to come home.

2) the PCR is required when you get home, not preflight, but yes, that’s it.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I’ve just done a Swiss Travel Check for a trip via GVA to France, coming home a week later.

I think we all understand the requirements going out (ie both CH and F require a 48hr LF test) - but I also completed it for the way home, ie entering CH from F but having been in UK in previous 10 days. And it asked for another 48hr test.

Now whether you’ll actually be asked is pretty unlikely, but for the sake of twenty quid I think I’ll take a spare as suggested.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Does anyone know if any of the points of departure (tunnel, airports etc) are setting up convenient test points? When we travelled over on the North Sea ferry via Rotterdam in September, at a point when Holland required a test certificate, P&O set up a testing site on the dockside.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@chrisjshort, @philipb, I think that these „online self tests“ that you can get in the UK don‘t exist in France. At least, they don‘t exist in Switzerland and I just asked a colleague in France who says he‘s never heard of them either. The type of tests we have here are:
1) PCR, done with a long swab far up the nose + a swab to back of throat in a pharmacy/clinic/hospital. Results take 8 hours or so. You can get a certificate with the result for travel.
2) Antigen, done with a long swab far up the nose (I think this also now needs a swab to back of throat) in a pharmacy/clinic/hospital. Results in 15 minutes. You can get a certificate with the result for travel.
3) Antigen, done with a sort of short cotton bud like swab that only goes a little way up your nose which you can do at home. Results in 15 minutes. You cannot get a certificate.

I suspect the French are basically saying that they want (1) or (2), and have little or no idea that the British option 3b exists. However in practice, as long as you have a certificate with a negative result, I don‘t think they have anyway of knowing how you got it and so British „special“ 3b will be fine.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
When I have done a home LFT test and uploaded my results to the GOV site, I subsequently receive an email from the NHS informing me of my test result. Would the French/Swiss authorities find a paper copy of that email as proof of test ??? :: Just a thought !
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
albob wrote:
When I have done a home LFT test and uploaded my results to the GOV site, I subsequently receive an email from the NHS informing me of my test result. Would the French/Swiss authorities find a paper copy of that email as proof of test ??? :: Just a thought !

The thing it’s not the Swiss/French you need to convince, it’s an Easyjet gate agent. For the sake of twenty quid I wouldn’t risk it tbh.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
albob wrote:

Doubt it, I'm sure I've seem references the test results must be from a recognised test lab, not Joe Blog's kitchen.

Also plenty of evidence (online video footage) where french health minister says from 4 Dec you will need a test to enter France even if vaccinated so even if it not on got website now don't assume that by Saturday that won't be the cae
snow conditions
@dsoutar, you are probably correct -- daft suggestion from me......! ( I do indeed do the test in my Kitchen.. Wink )
latest report
So in laymans terms to enter France via Geneva for a week on the piste you need:

- a test 48 hours before you depart
- complete a French passenger locator form
- complete a British passenger locator from
- a 2 day test once you have returned

Do you need to complete a Swiss passenger locator form?
snow conditions
48 hours if a LFT or 72 hours if a PCR.
ski holidays
scoman wrote:
So in laymans terms to enter France via Geneva for a week on the piste you need:

- a test 48 hours before you depart
- complete a French passenger locator form
- complete a British passenger locator from
- a 2 day test once you have returned

Do you need to complete a Swiss passenger locator form?

Yes to the Swiss PLF
Not sure there is a French PLF, but you do need to complete the 'Sworn Undertaking' for France.
ski holidays
The Swiss Form can only be done no earlier than 48 hours before entry.
latest report
And all your COVID vaccination records suitable for International travel of course!
snow report
Has the French testing been officially announced or is it just rumour mongering?
latest report
@NE1, it was announced in a press conference yesterday
snow report
albob wrote:

Unfortunately not you need to have the signed certificate that you get with the commercial ones. You will definitely get turned away and not allowed to board your plane with an NHS result.
ski holidays
NE1 wrote:
Has the French testing been officially announced or is it just rumour mongering?

Several links to the decree upthread but here it is again:

https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/jorf/id/JORFTEXT000044394836
ski holidays
Quote:

So for clarity:

12 and over for children I think?
latest report
@andy from embsay,

Really good point about the second LFT to return to Switzerland. Thank you.
snow report
Do we think there will be any issue in arriving Geneva, driving to France, then 4 days later driving to Geneva to pick up family and driving back ? I guess another lat flow test ? Is there anything else needed to enter Swiss from france?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
so is the consensus you can do a self administered antigen test? and the certification is no different if you do a self or clinic one in the eyes of the French boarder guards
ski holidays
@Mother hucker, yes. The certificate (certainly the C19 ones) doesn’t mention where the test was done. As explained upthread the French and Swiss don’t really have the same concept of a test done at home but producing a certificate.
latest report
Mother hucker wrote:
so is the consensus you can do a self administered antigen test? and the certification is no different if you do a self or clinic one in the eyes of the French boarder guards
if it’s one that you pay for and are issued with a QR code, then I think the consensus is yes.
snow report
This morning ( 2 dec ) Eurotunnel website was saying lat flow or PCR test required within 24 hrs for travel UK to France. By this evening information now saying no test required for fully vaccinated or under 12's
snow report
I have Covid now (despite 3 jabs) and I'm due to visit to France via GVA on Jan 9th, my understanding is any subsequent LF or PCR test will still show positive for up to 90 days following an infection.

Has anyone seen anything about using a letter proving the infection and date being accepted by the French authorities instead of a LR/PCR test?
snow conditions
Another spanner in the works

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/france-adds-negative-test-travel-rules-b1967674.html
snow report
What I usually do is arrive at GVA, pick up a car from the French side, then drive through central Geneva and back into France (towards Evian).

So, I go UK -> Switzerland -> France -> Switzerland -> France, all in a couple of hours.

Anyone know if this is still OK?!
snow conditions
@Mr_frosty, A PCR may show +ve for a while, but a LFT should be fine once you are no longer infectious.
ski holidays
andy from embsay wrote:
NE1 wrote:

Several links to the decree upthread but here it is again:

https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/jorf/id/JORFTEXT000044394836

Ah, OK, I will tell my friends (non-skiers but heading to France next week). There is nothing on the BBC that they could find, so I wasn’t sure if it’s was official, and they don’t believe me
ski holidays
Mr_frosty wrote:
I have Covid now (despite 3 jabs) and I'm due to visit to France via GVA on Jan 9th, my understanding is any subsequent LF or PCR test will still show positive for up to 90 days following an infection.

Has anyone seen anything about using a letter proving the infection and date being accepted by the French authorities instead of a LR/PCR test?

That’s not right. Up to 3 months after catching covid you are slightly more likely to get a false positive with a PCR test. Not so with a lateral flow.
snow conditions
Timmycb5 wrote:
Mr_frosty wrote:

That’s not right. Up to 3 months after catching covid you are slightly more likely to get a false positive with a PCR test. Not so with a lateral flow.

Yep, I had covid in mid-late October and had 4xPCRs last week (I was in hospital and they test every 2 days) - all neggo.
latest report
ralphster wrote:
Another spanner in the works

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/france-adds-negative-test-travel-rules-b1967674.html

Isn’t that what most of this thread is about?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy