Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Updates Travel Restrictions

Poster: A snowHead
@bezthespaniard, Have a read of from a green country on this link and there is nothing about 14 days anywhere on the official French website listing the travel restrictions. Switzerland is green so there is nothing, the last update is 20th Dec. There haven't any more official announcements for travel from green zones.

https://mobile.interieur.gouv.fr/Actualites/L-actu-du-Ministere/Attestation-de-deplacement-et-de-voyage
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So has anyone here actually driven from Geneva to Italy for holiday reasons? Ie transit through France. Hoping to do this in a couple of weeks otherwise may have to change to a Swiss resort
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Coco There was an article in the Telegraph about a family who “outsmarted” covid restrictions by flying to Geneva then travelling to Aosta via France and the Mont Blanc tunnel - but of course they didn’t “outsmart” anything - they broke the law and didn’t get caught.

From what I’ve heard the chances of getting stopped at the CH/F border and your “compelling reason” being checked are very small, but if you did then I guess you’d be sent on your way back into Switzerland.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@xanderajma, No need to go via Mont Blanc tunnel...there are perfectly good tunnels from Switzerland to Italy, and not a huge amount of extra time either.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Junior fly into Lyon last night and got through with her CDS but they checked EVERYTHING and scanned all QR codes for validity, several people were detained.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@xanderajma, I’ve asked French gov departments (and the French Ambassador!) to confirm in writing that you cannot land in Geneva and transit into France - none will actually answer the question and just send website links - the certificate that you are supposed to hand to your carrier does mention “transit in another country of less than 14 days” but if you fly into GVA you don’t need that form as you’re flying into CH. So the risk is a grumpy French border guard deciding to check where you’ve come from and when, as the one thing all the various officials have told me is “the border police’s decision is final”!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
andy from embsay wrote:
@Coco There was an article in the Telegraph about a family who “outsmarted” covid restrictions by flying to Geneva then travelling to Aosta via France and the Mont Blanc tunnel - but of course they didn’t “outsmart” anything - they broke the law and didn’t get caught.

From what I’ve heard the chances of getting stopped at the CH/F border and your “compelling reason” being checked are very small, but if you did then I guess you’d be sent on your way back into Switzerland.

With the current situation the posher the were the more likely to be prosecuted. Arrest followed by confinement the deported!

A bunch of Airport transfers got investigated the other day. Turned up no Covid Rogers, but 11 cases of incorrect licence etc....from Only 30 vehicles!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Idris, not sure whether this is true but I heard that the Swiss were passing on details of UK arrivals heading to France - given that you don’t actually say where you’re going on your Swiss PLF other than “transit” I’m not quite sure who they’d tell!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I really can't fathom out why people are so intent on breaking rules and risking arrest, deportation etc etc, and then the possibility of not being able to enter again, as it will be on file somewhere that they attempted to evade them and were caught. Travel this winter was always likely to be disrupted at some point.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Hells Bells, +1….these restrictions are there for a reason, I’m totally fed up we can’t travel but there comes a point where the safety of others, even though we don’t know them has to override our own desire for a ski trip. That’s my position anyway, for now it has to be a waiting game for us until it’s safe….

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 31-12-21 12:33; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
TBH I can see both sides a little bit. Some of these rules don't make much sense. It's a bit like telling a white lie.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A friend of ours returned from a package holiday to Courmayeur last weekend. They flew out to Geneva the day after the French restrictions were put in place. And yet their transfer (full size coach) went via Cham/ Mont Blanc tunnel to Italy. And the same journey in reverse last Saturday.

edit. They weren't stopped, checked or inspected at any point.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Layne, exactly - I’ve no intention of breaking any rules but these travel restrictions are completely and utterly illogical - similar case rates in UK and France, same variant dominant, yet based on where your passport was issued the risk is somehow “different”. I’m all for rules that make a difference but much of this is theatre pure and simple.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think one of the issues is that these rules aren’t backed up by the science. Travel restrictions don’t and won’t restrict the transmission of covid. I really hope Macron follows Germany, see sense and lifts these asap. I suspect he will by mid Jan.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@snowqueen50, I am also relatively hopeful because they’re SO draconian (and illogical) - French citizens not allowed to travel to the UK, EU residents not allowed to travel across France to their homes (yes I know they’ve relaxed it temporarily, but that’s the rule) etc. You’d think that there’s a version of Chris Whitty saying “this is a bit daft, lads, tbh”.
snow conditions
Markymark29 wrote:
@Hells Bells, +1….these restrictions are there for a reason, I’m totally fed up we can’t travel but there comes a point where the safety of others, even though we don’t know them has to override our own desire for a ski trip. That’s my position anyway, for now it has to be a waiting game for us until it’s safe….

The problem with these particular restrictions is that the reason is (probably) political, not for reasons of safety.

The German ban was more logical - restrict UK arrivals to slow the spread of Omicron, and remove the restrictions when Omicron becomes dominant, because the restrictions are pointless after that.

Same as the UK red list travel restrictions on Southern Africa, which were removed quickly.

France is now >62% Omicron, and has cases at least as high as the UK, so travel restrictions are now pointless. But they don't seem to be in any rush to remove the travel ban.

https://www.france24.com/en/europe/20211231-covid-19-omicron-is-now-dominant-variant-in-france
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
I really can't fathom out why people are so intent on breaking rules and risking arrest, deportation etc etc, and then the possibility of not being able to enter again, as it will be on file somewhere that they attempted to evade them and were caught. Travel this winter was always likely to be disrupted at some point.

I think the core of the problem is that France is intrinsic to ski travel, the majority of uk eu routes are France based and the hour trip from GVA to Chamonix, is a great north Italy link.

To be fair you can drive in and out of France without even knowing it all around Geneva…
ski holidays
[quote="musehead"]
Markymark29 wrote:
@Hells Bells, +1….
The German ban was more logical - restrict UK arrivals to slow the spread of Omicron, and remove the restrictions when Omicron becomes dominant, because the restrictions are pointless after that.

To be fair that was also logical when the French ban was introduced ie to slow the spread in France, but now that argument no longer makes sense as omnicron is dominant in France.
snow report
andy from embsay wrote:
@snowqueen50, I am also relatively hopeful because they’re SO draconian (and illogical) - French citizens not allowed to travel to the UK, EU residents not allowed to travel across France to their homes (yes I know they’ve relaxed it temporarily, but that’s the rule) etc. You’d think that there’s a version of Chris Whitty saying “this is a bit daft, lads, tbh”.

Cuts both ways, to get back into UK from France currently its an lft before you get to the Channel and a PCR 2 days after arrival, if you are vaccinated ...

Perhaps the French are waiting for that to change before they change?
snow report
I’m guessing that the French authorities are checking documentation at borders such as final destination.For example the owner of the chalet we rent in La Clusaz had planned to drive to the resort from the UK to then later return home on a flight from Geneva leaving the car for us to pick up at the airport after our flight in. What is to stop them driving to their chalet in the first place and not leaving France ?
snow conditions
@boredsurfin, fair point on the day 2 PCR/isolation - I think that’s up for review next week?
latest report
@Renry, just on Dover to Dunkirk ferry. UK French border scanned the QR code on the quarantine certificate. So the system has our destination confirmed. The same QR code will be presented for our 48 hour test on Monday.
And I anticipate a knock on the door over the weekend.
After a negative, which will undoubtedly update the system, we should be free to go anywhere.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 31-12-21 14:41; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Hells Bells wrote:

Arrogance.

Zero respect for France's attempts to control the disease. Whether we rate Macron or not (I don't particularly), it's their call.
ski holidays
Quote:

And I anticipate a knock on the door over the weekend.

I wouldn't hold your breath

Just asking, but you know you the Day 2 test is a by day 2 not on day 2? Son did his at Heathrow after landing and had result by time we got home.
snow report
@Boris, Heading to France. This is the French after 48 hour test. Another post reported gendarmes are checking. I did a UK 2 day test a couple of weeks ago on arrival in UK.
snow report
Coco wrote:
So has anyone here actually driven from Geneva to Italy for holiday reasons? Ie transit through France. Hoping to do this in a couple of weeks otherwise may have to change to a Swiss resort

Hi Coco, why not drive via the Great St Bernard Pass? You then dont need to go through France at all. ​Iv just got home from a ten day holiday in Thyon, Switzerland. We drove across to Italy a couple of times to Courmayeur via the GSBP with no problems at all.

Would be approx 2 hour drive from Geneva Airport to GSBP then an hour or so on to Courmayeur
snow conditions
@colinstone, APologies - misread direction of travel
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:
Agree. Particularly with ETIAS coming in in 2022 or 2023, so a criminal offense in one country possibly meaning exclusion from the whole EU.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Renry wrote:
I’m guessing that the French authorities are checking documentation at borders such as final destination.For example the owner of the chalet we rent in La Clusaz had planned to drive to the resort from the UK to then later return home on a flight from Geneva leaving the car for us to pick up at the airport after our flight in. What is to stop them driving to their chalet in the first place and not leaving France ?

Because the current regulations bans Brits from crossing into France !!

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 31-12-21 15:21; edited 2 times in total
latest report
ecureuil wrote:
Hells Bells wrote:
Agree. Particularly with ETIAS coming in in 2022 or 2023, so a criminal offense in one country possibly meaning exclusion from the whole EU.

And exclusion from Switzerland too (ETIAS is Schengen wide not just EU)!
snow report
albob wrote:
Renry wrote:

Because the current regulations bans Brits from crossing into France !!

I thought It had changed and UK nationals are permitted to pass through ? I must have miss understood
My question was if the they are allowing UK citizens to pass through to other EU states then what would be to stop them remaining in France
snow report
@Renry, No, it was just for a small group of Brits who have the right to live in the EU

"...Third-country citizens who hold a valid French or European residence permit or long-stay visa and whose main residence is in France.

• British citizens and their family members who are beneficiaries of the agreement on the withdrawal of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland from the European Union and the European Atomic Energy Community. British civil servants exercising their duties, border police officers and customs officers. Channel Tunnel staff (engaged inter alia in operations, maintenance, security) or cross-Channel facilities staff...."

=============================

"My question was if the they are allowing UK citizens to pass through to other EU states then what would be to stop them remaining in France"

Gotcha -- No, (to the best of my Knowledge) it is a blanket ban on entering France. Hence people looking to get Ferries to Holland/Spain etc
snow conditions
A friend of mine has been living with friends in France for over a year and wants to drive over (in his UK registered van) and join us for a week in Switzerland, but is worried he might not get back into France. Or he could get a lift with our French guide 2 days later, coming from Chamonix. Does anyone know the situation on this?
snow report
snowball wrote:
A friend of mine has been living with friends in France for over a year and wants to drive over (in his UK registered van) and join us for a week in Switzerland, but is worried he might not get back into France. Or he could get a lift with our French guide 2 days later, coming from Chamonix. Does anyone know the situation on this?

I would personally not leave France ATM without a formal proof of residency (I.e titre de séjour).

Everything changes after Jan 1st for Brexit, in addition to any Covid stuff.
latest report
I should say that I am currently outside France and only have my numéro étranger (not received the card yet). I’m hoping that that, a bit of French and some pay slips etc are enough to get back in!

Out of curiousity, what regime was your friend living under? Did they make it to France in time to claim Brexit residency? If not are they not already illegal in Schengen?

Incidentally, what period can you keep a UK registered vehicle in France for? I’m guessing it is just a few months?
snow report
Anybody with crystal ski had their 16th January holiday cancelled yet
snow report
@yorkshirelad, there are a couple further up the thread - can’t remember the posters but one trip was to La Rosiere and the other to Serre Chevalier
snow conditions
@yorkshirelad, friends of mine have had their 3V trip cancelled as well.
snow report
Who do Crystal use is it jet2 Sad
ski holidays
@charlie26, various, but mainly TUI then EasyJet (not seen them use Jet2)

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 31-12-21 17:11; edited 1 time in total
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy