Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Updates Travel Restrictions

Poster: A snowHead
https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/jorf/id/JORFTEXT000044394836

To further confuse things, it seems that now not all antigen tests will be accepted, only those which test for the 'N protein', which is apparently not all of them.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It looks like the c19testing tests (they supply two types) both test for the n protein, although for the outbound leg I might be tempted to book a PCR to be sure.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fullenglish wrote:

To further confuse things, it seems that now not all antigen tests will be accepted, only those which test for the 'N protein', which is apparently not all of them.

I think most (all?) of the UK ones test for the “nucleocapsid antigen” which is the N Protein. The Local France are saying that “rules out most antigen tests” - which looks to be nonsense. It took me ten seconds to google nucleocapsid antigen and every hit says “…or N Protein”.

Looked back at an old certificate and that states nucleocapsid antigen test.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
chronomics.com do test for the N protein on their antigens (I just checked my test I did a few days ago to come back).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Here is a list of antigen tests and their target proteins.

https://ec.europa.eu/health/sites/default/files/preparedness_response/docs/covid-19_rat_common-list_en.pdf
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Klamm Franzer wrote:
Here is a list of antigen tests and their target proteins.

https://ec.europa.eu/health/sites/default/files/preparedness_response/docs/covid-19_rat_common-list_en.pdf

Useful - pretty much every one that isn’t “unknown” targets nucleocapsid or the N Protein as required by France. What on earth are The Local on about?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Same for C19Testing. Sample certificate on this page clearly shows detecting the N Protein.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@X5OT76, I've been to and back from france a few times recently and have used PCR and lateral flow tests. I have used NWP as they are a decent price and quick to deliver
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jonpim wrote:
Same for C19Testing. Sample certificate on this page clearly shows detecting the N Protein.

That was who we used. Just ordered another for next week.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Is there anything in the new information as to whether the tests have to be done in a clinic as opposed to at home?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@andy from embsay, not useful for the bulk of people visiting France! I suspect most are like me non French speakers, unless asking for a beer or the bill, and please and thank you!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ipken wrote:
@X5OT76, I've been to and back from france a few times recently and have used PCR and lateral flow tests. I have used NWP as they are a decent price and quick to deliver

Just had a quick look and seems a good option. Have you been using the £14.99 ‘fit to fly’ option?

With the LFT do you send them back for a result or is it a case of doing it and then just submitting your result with a picture or something?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@twoodwar, the useful list of tests is in English? The decree is pretty much as we thought - if vaccinated need a test 48hrs before “the trip”(?), and this can be LF or PCR. LF tests have to detect the N Protein - which from the list above, they pretty much all do.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

with the LFT do you send them back for a result or is it a case of doing it and then just submitting your result with a picture or something?

yes exactly, they are the same process as the nhs ones, so you do the test, fill in a form and send picture of the test next to your passport
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I suppose one bonus is 12yos who are unvaxxed have 48hrs to do a pre-flight test, instead of 24hrs that applied previously.

Under 12yo are fine to travel untested I assume?
snow conditions
@hobbiteater, Does the certificate specify what they tested for? I can’t imagine anyone’s really going to check but C19 do, I’m not sure Testing For All did when we used them for coming back to UK in the summer?
latest report
@andy from embsay, i was just describing the general process, ive used c19 and randox
latest report
This was on my certificate for a C19 Lateral flow test in September with C19testing:

This means that at, the time of testing, it is unlikely that you were infected with the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus.

The Hughes / ACON Biotech Flowflex SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Rapid Test is an immunochromatographic assay for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 nucleocapsid protein antigen by nasopharyngeal swab. It has been validated as having a sensitivity of 97%, specificity of 99% and an overall accuracy of 99%.

This rapid antigen test has been approved by the EU and passed assessment by Public Health England in the UK.

This assay is a CE marked IVD in accordance with Directive 98/79/EC. Certification can be confirmed here.
snow report
Duster wrote:
This was on my e mail that linked the certificate for a C19 Lateral flow test in September with C19testing:

This means that at, the time of testing, it is unlikely that you were infected with the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus.

The Hughes / ACON Biotech Flowflex SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Rapid Test is an immunochromatographic assay for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 nucleocapsid protein antigen by nasopharyngeal swab. It has been validated as having a sensitivity of 97%, specificity of 99% and an overall accuracy of 99%.

This rapid antigen test has been approved by the EU and passed assessment by Public Health England in the UK.

This assay is a CE marked IVD in accordance with Directive 98/79/EC. Certification can be confirmed here.

Edit The above text was not on the certificate itself.
latest report
Duster wrote:
This was on my e mail that linked the certificate for a C19 Lateral flow test in September with C19testing:

Edit The above text was not on the certificate itself.
snow report
Duplicate post
snow report
@hobbiteater, But France says that 'self administered' tests are not allowed. What is your experience having travelled using LF tests.
snow report
Sorry for my ignorance as haven't travelled abroad since covid blighted our lives so a little unsure as to the process.

If I order from one of the companies, do i then need to send it away and how long I'm advance do I have to do this to make sure the results are back in time?
Thanks
snow conditions
@chrisjshort, i obvioulsy havent travalled to france under this regime but have used the test for greece and italy. where des it say self adminstered tests arnt allowed?
snow conditions
@chrisjshort, this is what I'm not sure about. I can't find info on whether at home tests are ok or if you have to do them at a clinic - there's a reasonable difference in cost and hassle
ski holidays
chrisjshort wrote:
@hobbiteater, But France says that 'self administered' tests are not allowed. What is your experience having travelled using LF tests.

I think that is for unvaccinated people only (which doesn't include unvaccinated kids travelling with fully vaccinated adults). At least that was the case last time I looked.
latest report
@chrisjshort, I doubt that the "self administered" point is ever going to be resolved to anyone's satisfaction. If I administer the test to my son, is it self-administered?

I've travelled successfully to France, using them, but then again, the French border control didn't actually check.

@no_snow_in_swindon, It depends on which test, from whom. There are options to a) have Lateral Flow (Antigen) tests done on site (e.g. in a Boots), b) do PCR on site and have it sent off to a lab from there, c) do a PCR at home and send them away, d) do lateral flow at home over video link (Qured), e) do lateral flow at home and send a photo of test and passport (Chronomics), f) do lateral flow at home and use an app to give a certificate (Excalibur).
snow report
@Duster, yep, I’ve still got my C19 one from the summer and that definitely shows they test for the N Protein. My Testing for All one from summer didn’t though.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just found this update on France Local:

A government Decree published on Thursday provides more detail.

(I've looked at this and cant make head nor tail of it??)

The France Local article says "The new rules come into force at 00.01am on Saturday, December 4th and the testing requirements apply to everyone aged 12 or older – including those who have French citizenship or permanent residency in France.

Non EU

All travellers – vaccinated or not – will require a negative Covid test in order to enter France from any country outside the EU or Schengen zone. This would include travellers from the UK, the USA and Canada.

The test must have been taken within 48 hours of departure. The decree states that only tests “that are able to detect protein N of Sars-Cov2” can be used – this covers all PCR tests but not all antigen tests. Home tests have never been accepted for travel purposes.

All non-EU arrivals must also give a declaration on their honour that they accept that furthering testing can be performed on arrival in France, although it is not clear how systematic this will be."

Guess the press etc will be all over this new announcement? If it is new and I've not got the whole thing wrong! I am beginning to question my own sanity!
snow report
@chrisjshort, the local have proven to be an unreliable source.

Quote:

Home tests have never been accepted for travel purposes.

This is rubbish. All major providers do self admistered LF pre departure tests with certificate. And vast majority test N protein
snow conditions
Oleski wrote:
@chrisjshort, the local have proven to be an unreliable source.

Quote:

Home tests have never been accepted for travel purposes.

This is rubbish. All major providers do self admistered LF pre departure tests with certificate. And vast majority test N protein

And the certificate (certainly from C19 as linked above) doesn’t mention how the test was taken. I really think this will be far less of an issue than we think - show them your neg test and vax cert and on you go. I can’t see an agent at the gate checking which protein your test looked for (even though as you say the vast, vasy majority look for N Protein) or who shoved the swab up your nose.
ski holidays
So does anyone know

a) If I fly into GVA and cross straight into France by car, will I need to show a test on the border? I will be doing a LTF to fly into Switzerland but worried it’s the wrong type of test for France.

B) after staying in France for 5 days do I need a new test to come back into Switzerland and straight to GVA to fly home?

I’m so confused.
latest report
@andy from embsay, that's my take too. I think the "home test" thing basically means, they won't accept it if you shove a test with one line in there general direction. They want a QR code to confirm the test (wherever it was done) is negative.
snow report
@andy from embsay,

Quote:

who shoved the swab up your nose

or who's nose it was Toofy Grin not suggesting anything, mind you Skullie
snow report
That is the conclusion I'm coming to. Every test provider for 'fit to fly' ('fit to drive through a tunnel' in my case) says it is approved. Although it does state this elsewhere too! If they ask I'll say it was in a clinic.
snow report
Dannyh101 wrote:
So does anyone know

a) If I fly into GVA and cross straight into France by car, will I need to show a test on the border? I will be doing a LTF to fly into Switzerland but worried it’s the wrong type of test for France.

B) after staying in France for 5 days do I need a new test to come back into Switzerland and straight to GVA to fly home?

I’m so confused.

(A) It’s possible you could, but the same test is fine for both CH and F.
(B) No because you’re coming from France - the new decree doesn’t mention anything other than where you’re arriving from.
snow conditions
But the Swiss rules state that if you've been in the UK in previous 10 (or did it say 14) days you need to do the test. I think!!!
latest report
You could take a spare LF test in case it’s needed at any point? I’ve bought an extra one in case it’s needed or some new rules come in when I am out there
snow report
chrisjshort wrote:
But the Swiss rules state that if you've been in the UK in previous 10 (or did it say 14) days you need to do the test. I think!!!

Only if you are staying in Switzerland for more than 24 hours
snow report
Ah! - thats good to know as I hope to transit through Switzerland to Austria after a week in Tignes. Thanks
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy