Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Updates Travel Restrictions

Poster: A snowHead
208k positives reported* in France today. Those travel restrictions on the UK are certainly working well…

*I’m assuming still an element of xmas catch-up going on. Switzerland also reporting big numbers.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@andy from embsay, yes there's probably, like you say an element of Xmas catch-up going on and will not be till the middle of next week when numbers can be more reliable.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I know the UK numbers were a bit of a mess as they only covered a subset of countries and covered multiple days so essentially fairly useless in terms of being used to see the trends. Will need to wait a few days for the daily figures to return post bank holidays etc.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
nick forest wrote:
Crystal just emailed to confirm they’re pulling my trip on 16th Jan to La Rosiere (2nd aborted trip this season) and seem really on the ball and they have also given me a voucher for additional 10% discount for next booking which in the circumstances seems above and beyond as these guys must be suffering.

They definitely will be my first port of call for when I re-enter the fray to try and book 3rd attempt at getting on the slopes soon.

Any indication when is soonest they'll be booking?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Incredible!!
https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20211229-france-sets-daily-record-with-208-000-new-covid-19-cases-health-minister
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
karilsalyer wrote:
nick forest wrote:
Crystal just emailed to confirm they’re pulling my trip on 16th Jan to La Rosiere (2nd aborted trip this season) and seem really on the ball and they have also given me a voucher for additional 10% discount for next booking which in the circumstances seems above and beyond as these guys must be suffering.

They definitely will be my first port of call for when I re-enter the fray to try and book 3rd attempt at getting on the slopes soon.

Any indication when is soonest they'll be booking?

What do you mean? You can book holidays now with Crystal. At the moment they have holidays on sale to France departing from 22nd Jan, but I wouldn't read anything into that. They're cancelling on a rolling programme as per the message on their website.

(Welcome to Snowheads!)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nick forest wrote:

Interestingly we postponed out holiday that was booked for the 15th Jan when they announced the latest french restrictions, as it was early we didn't get any 10% off which was frustrating but interestingly it looks like the same week we booked is now £200 more expensive PP so it looks like they are starting to play the games with the prices and put them up as they reduce in availability.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nick forest wrote:

Did Crystal give the reason for cancellation? We have a trip booked with another operator for that date, hence the interest. Thanks
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nick forest wrote:

Us too! Our January week in Serre Chevalier cancelled sadly. We have another one booked for March, also with Crystal, so fingers crossed that’ll go ahead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I’d start worrying if they start cancelling Feb HT breaks. TBH this wave has nothing to do with the British visiting and should be rescinded as soon as possible.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Montan wrote:
nick forest wrote:

Did Crystal give the reason for cancellation? We have a trip booked with another operator for that date, hence the interest. Thanks

Yes, the current french restrictions are the reason. In a previous email sent soon after the restrictions were introduced they stated they would cancel if the situation didn’t change and would do this at least 14 days before departure whereas if you wanted to cancel earlier than that then normal T&C’s applied which I took to mean deposits etc would be lost.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@patrick!, I completely agree with your statement, British media obsession with Merkel and lately Macron/ VDL are bordering on paranoia. I lived in Germany for yen years, the UK was never on people minds in any aspect what so ever.

The British media and some British people seem obsessed with blaming the EU for it problems and anything a EU politician does is to spite the British. We need to extract our heads out of a dark place.

I have worked in numerous war zones in my career I always advised my wife to ignore press reports of car bombings and terror attacks. They were usually reported 12 hours after the event and are completely misreported by media.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Montan wrote:
nick forest wrote:

Because of the ban on UK travellers entering France Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm waiting for our cancellation for Feb to come through...then book for Italy or Austria or anywhere that will still allow travel..some half price deals to Italy at the moment !!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
At this rate the whole of France will have had it mid jan.
As will we.
( yes I know as more have had it spread will slow )
snow report
@nick forest, @Scarletgirl, thanks. It’s the latest date I’ve seen being cancelled; prior to this, I’d only noted cancellation up to 9/1.
snow report
Hope this is on topic as it’s related to restrictions to access ski lifts.

Does anyone know of a French company doing a similar do -it-yourself-and -upload option? Something like this U.K. one ? https://officialrapidtests.com/products/return-antigen

Had heard it’s possibly acceptable for over 12s not vaccinated instead of going the pharmacy option.

Also any recent experiences of the level and type of checking of passes in the Three Valleys at the moment appreciated. Does it have to be app based, is paper accepted, is the type of option above acceptable, are they just waving people through etc. Thanks
snow report
Leax wrote:

Does anyone know of a French company doing a similar do -it-yourself-and -upload option? Something like this U.K. one ? https://officialrapidtests.com/products/return-antigen

Had heard it’s possibly acceptable for over 12s not vaccinated instead of going the pharmacy option.

Also any recent experiences of the level and type of checking of passes in the Three Valleys at the moment appreciated. Does it have to be app based, is paper accepted, is the type of option above acceptable, are they just waving people through etc. Thanks

There are no private companies in France that do a test equivalent to the return to uk tests you need, you either need to buy one to take with you or use a local pharmacy in resort.
latest report
@Leax, passe vaccinal law is coming into effect shortly and testing will not be an option from sometime in the first couple of weeks in Jan according to the latest reports. But never heard of a DIY job working anyway.
snow report
@Skimum1, 15 Jan if passed into law (as it doubtless will be).
snow conditions
@patrick!, I wasn't saying at all what you misrepresented me as saying, but thanks all the same! "Brit-bashing" was someone else's ill-advised phrase, more fool me for picking up on it!
ski holidays
Thanks andmelffion & Skimum1. The passe vaccinal law, does that mean pharmacy derived daily antigen tests won't be accepted, and is there a way to know if will that be happening before the 8th Jan?!(last day of trip Happy)
latest report
Leax wrote:
Thanks andmelffion & Skimum1. The passe vaccinal law, does that mean pharmacy derived daily antigen tests won't be accepted, and is there a way to know if will that be happening before the 8th Jan?!(last day of trip Happy)

If passed it comes in on 15 Jan so pretty sure you’re ok.
snow conditions
Leax wrote:

Current understanding is that the vaccine passports to replace the health passport is to be discussed this week with the view of implementing it wef 15th jan.
snow conditions
David B wrote:
@patrick!, I completely agree with your statement, British media obsession with Merkel and lately Macron/ VDL are bordering on paranoia. I lived in Germany for yen years, the UK was never on people minds in any aspect what so ever.

The British media and some British people seem obsessed with blaming the EU for it problems and anything a EU politician does is to spite the British. We need to extract our heads out of a dark place.

I have worked in numerous war zones in my career I always advised my wife to ignore press reports of car bombings and terror attacks. They were usually reported 12 hours after the event and are completely misreported by media.

I do not want this turning into a Brexit forum but the Uk will do fine.The way i see it is its Macron and the EU can't handle the fact we don't want to be part of their club anymore and they will have to stump up the excess money lost from our departure to keep the poorer country's going.Macron with the fishing and the Eu with the vaccine rollout and threats being the prime example.
latest report
saintnickle wrote:
David B wrote:

I do not want this turning into a Brexit forum but the Uk will do fine.The way i see it is its Macron and the EU can't handle the fact we don't want to be part of their club anymore and they will have to stump up the excess money lost from our departure to keep the poorer country's going.Macron with the fishing and the Eu with the vaccine rollout and threats being the prime example.

The UK will certainly do fine on average. The trouble will be in the details. I’d be particularly worried though if I wanted to do a niche activity which relied in large part on somebody else’s mountains snowHead
ski holidays
James it's a shame i can't row to those mountains in a dinghy.. Very Happy
latest report
saintnickle wrote:
David B wrote:

Well done! Puzzled
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Weathercam wrote:
208k cases latest announced figure! Have to admire the French, as in Sport, just when you think they're on a loosing streak, they're able to get right back in the game and trounce the opposition Eh oh! Eh oh!

Lol! Very Happy

At what point in time will the French realise the cat is well and truly out of the bag? With 200,000 cases a day there it seems a little pointless to stop vaccinated & tested people entering the country. Puzzled
ski holidays
Maybe they don't want things getting any worse.......
ski holidays
Damn what have I done, apologies to all!
Smile

Ok so in any case what should be on people's mind is that this is a really sh1tty week to be skiing in the French (or Western Swiss) Alps weatherwise. Bring on 2022.
latest report
Update on Eurotunnel Website today:

Travel from the UK to France
URGENT UPDATE FOR BRITISH RESIDENTS IN EU

Following a French Government decision, on 28/12/2021, unless they hold French residency, British citizens are now considered 3rd country citizens and can no longer transit France by road to reach their country of residence in the EU.

We do our best to interpret and update this page as soon as advice from the French government changes. For the very latest advice on entering France, we recommend checking interieur.gouv.fr and uk.ambafrance.org before travel.

https://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/travelling-with-us/latest/covid-19/
ski holidays
KenX wrote:
Maybe they don't want things getting any worse.......
I feel that ship has well sailed and dissapeared beyond the horizon.
snow conditions
Just cancelled my accommodation in Morzine 9th Jan , the host kindly
offered me a full refund a week before I gave him 10 days , seemed the right thing to
do as gives him more time to find a non banned skier ! Won’t cancel flight etc until I need
to, realistically I think the next two plus weeks will be the toughest sadly.
snow report
Leax wrote:

We used a similar service, the Randox self test lateral flow test for one of my kids on a stop over at St Omer at a McDonalds and a Flunch and they both accepted the certificate from the Randox test to allow us to enter. They scanned our health passes and for one of my kids, accepted the pdf certificate displayed on a mobile phone. Not at Three Valleys, but at Alpe d'Huez, no one asked for our health pass or the test certificate to access the lifts. This was last week when the restrictions on UK holiday makers kicked in, can't say if things have changed given the increase in infections in recent days.
snow conditions
saintnickle wrote:
James it's a shame i can't row to those mountains in a dinghy.. Very Happy

Well we used to have the option to freely live near said mountains! Anyway as you sat we need to stop it - this is a skiing forum - there is the daily mail and the guardian forums if you want to endlessly debate the madness of the wrong and right of brexit.
ski holidays
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/news/meet-family-outsmarted-europes-tightening-rules-ski-christmas/

Just spotted this “heroic” story in the Telegraph (may be paywalled). Family “beat” the French restrictions by erm…flying to Geneva and then travelling through France to Courmayeur. So effectively getting lucky at the border.
ski holidays
This might be of interest

https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-based-brits-cant-travel-home-via-eurotunnel-company-warns/
latest report
@saintnickle, I don't think it is anything to do with Britain versus France. Both countries are experiencing record Covid case numbers at the moment, both governments are currently hoping that things will work out OK with Omicron without increasing local restrictions - but the last thing they are going to do is reduce any restrictions even if they are only for tourists, it would lead to bad publicity.

It is really frustrating for those of us with bookings we can't take up, to be honest I am hoping the next week or so brings an understanding of Omicron which lets governments decide no reasonable measure is going to hold it back. None of us are going to be happy if this is another year without skiing.
snow report
andy from embsay wrote:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/news/meet-family-outsmarted-europes-tightening-rules-ski-christmas/

Just spotted this “heroic” story in the Telegraph (may be paywalled). Family “beat” the French restrictions by erm…flying to Geneva and then travelling through France to Courmayeur. So effectively getting lucky at the border.

The lady who looks after our place said the same this morning. Some UK folk still turning up in ADH via Italy. Chancing their arm at the border, but I get the impression there aren't too many checks. Once they are at the resort nobody seems too bothered by how they got there and happy to have the business.

In terms of vaccine certs they were checking twice a day at 11am and 2pm ish for about half an hour at the main lifts. Outside those times there were no checks.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy