Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Updates Travel Restrictions

Poster: A snowHead
Wow. 180,000 positive tests in France recorded-in a country with a lower rate of testing than the UK, and with a far lower rate of boosters.
I can't but think that our (UK) chances of skiing in France will be more determined by what happens over there, than what happens over here. Particularly given Macron has an election coming up so needs to look like he is 'taking action' and lots of his support comes from the over 60s who will be most worried about Covid.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
colinstone wrote:
Don't forget who assumes the EU Presidency on Saturday - Mr Macron. France for the first time in 14 years.
I suspect that plus his electioneering will have him trying to demonstrate how tough he is on a non EU country, attempting to drag the rest of the EU in his direction, especially the new German Chancellor.

https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/french-foreign-policy/europe/the-french-presidency-of-the-council-of-the-european-union/

I agree. Not just "Brit-bashing" for the sake of it, but along with Pecresse claiming he lets the Brits push him around, I suspect it suits him politically to be hard on the UK. Depends how loud the alpine areas/ businesses that are hurting can be, but maybe they are more concerned to be staying open at all.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Swiss Covid Pass works in France.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The last 2 days have been very low so averages out around 85,000 per day for the last 3 days...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
andolini wrote:
Sorry for my hesitation I just envision moody French lift operators or
restaurant owners recognising a uk covid pass or lift pass issued online to a uk address ?

they're very mood the UK customers ain't here throwing cash. This should be one of the busiest weeks of the season here in EK, its like a January week
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Excuse the rather narrow scope of the question but is this set of French restrictions more restrictive than last year’s?
I think I remember correctly but last year we’re second home owners not allowed to travel into France, where this time it’s not permitted.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@andolini, to be clear Brits are allowed to be in France and the MHS pass does not differentiate when they arrived. it’s a lot more relaxed than what may be portrayed in the press or on here. Have not once been asked for my covid pass to ride a lift, nor have they enforced masks on chairlifts - I choose to wear when riding with strangers. I have heard of inconsistent checks on gondolas. No restaurant owner on their right mind would turn away a Brit if their covid pass is successfully read.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
KenX wrote:
The last 2 days have been very low so averages out around 85,000 per day for the last 3 days...

Just the 179,000 cases today in France, just as well they banned the brits from travelling
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jonny996 wrote:
Excuse the rather narrow scope of the question but is this set of French restrictions more restrictive than last year’s?
I think I remember correctly but last year we’re second home owners not allowed to travel into France, where this time it’s not permitted.

Wasn't it a full lock down though (for the Country) in October/Novembefr?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ozboy wrote:
@andolini, to be clear Brits are allowed to be in France and the MHS pass does not differentiate when they arrived. it’s a lot more relaxed than what may be portrayed in the press or on here. Have not once been asked for my covid pass to ride a lift, nor have they enforced masks on chairlifts - I choose to wear when riding with strangers. I have heard of inconsistent checks on gondolas. No restaurant owner on their right mind would turn away a Brit if their covid pass is successfully read.

Thanks I know Brits who travelled before the ban can continue their holiday without restrictions, I
just thought France was a total no go even if it's ski area borders a green country . Much appreciated .
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
andmelffion wrote:
KenX wrote:

Just the 179,000 cases today in France, just as well they banned the brits from travelling

Doh........
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
andmelffion wrote:
KenX wrote:

This looks like the good news and the bad new. Good news less of an argument to block the Brits as the French have it worse but bad news a stronger argument for a lockdown for all….even if the new variant is hard to distinguish from a cold based on reported evidence
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
alti - dude wrote:
andmelffion wrote:
KenX wrote:

This looks like the good news and the bad new. Good news less of an argument to block the Brits as the French have it worse but bad news a stronger argument for a lockdown for all….even if the new variant is hard to distinguish from a cold based on reported evidence

Seems more likely further restrictions in France , their hospital admissions are double ours. I think a lot more not up do date on jabs in France than UK as well .
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lets see some figures, I've got admissions about the same......
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
But agree, with daily cases roughly the same, likewise hospital admissions, there seems little need for the embargo against the Brits.......
latest report
KenX wrote:
Lets see some figures, I've got admissions about the same......

John Hopkins Uni data on worldindata.

Per capita, France currently has twice as many Covid hospital patients than the UK.

242 versus 118, per million.

Switzerland 186.
Italy 180.

The France and Italy curves are showing exponential growth.

https://ourworldindata.org/explorers/coronavirus-data-explorer?zoomToSelection=true&time=2020-03-01..latest&facet=none&pickerSort=asc&pickerMetric=location&Metric=Hospital+patients&Interval=7-day+rolling+average&Relative+to+Population=true&Align+outbreaks=false&country=GBR~DEU~ITA~IND~FRA~CHE
snow conditions
KenX wrote:
But agree, with daily cases roughly the same, likewise hospital admissions, there seems little need for the embargo against the Brits.......

Hospital admissions should be the key factor ours are half as our vaccination roll out has been quicker and more efficient it’s harsh to just ban us at present .
However , France maybe forced into more restrictions if hospital admissions rise further and the vaccination rollout is behind .
ski holidays
Sorry, I was looking at daily admissions, not the number of people in hospital, as per the statement above: their hospital admissions are double ours.....
snow report
andolini wrote:
KenX wrote:

Hospital admissions should be the key factor ours are half as our vaccination roll out has been quicker and more efficient it’s harsh to just ban us at present .
However , France maybe forced into more restrictions if hospital admissions rise further and the vaccination rollout is behind .

Strong arguments to ban the French from the UK . . . . That would put the felines amongst the budgerieguards.
ski holidays
Quote:

Per capita, France currently has twice as many Covid hospital patients than the UK.

Once again not reliable data. France tends to hospitalise earlier and retain patients longer than the UK. Sadly the only truely reliable data is the number of excess deaths.

Quote:

This is a statement of the obvious; all infection gowth is exponential, all reduction of infection rates are expoential decline though this term appears rarely used. Simply; rate of increase (or decrease) is proportional to the number of infected people.

Incidently the UK rate of vacciantion per head of population (69%) is lower than that of France (73%) https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations.
ski holidays
@johnE, What seems to matter against Omicron is not how many 16 year olds get their first vaccination, but how many 60+ have had their third.
And France is far behind the UK in this metric.
ski holidays
Quote:

And France is far behind the UK in this metric.

Are you saying that British people who have not had their booster or vaccinated in the last 3 months are forbidden to go into bars, restaurants or shops?
ski holidays
No, just that it looks like France might be in more trouble with omicron than the UK is, despite having a higher overall vaccination %.
ski holidays
Mother hucker wrote:
@22 dropout, are you travelling out on the 8th then? if my memory serves me correctly you're between the UK and Cham. Do you qualify to travel between the UK and FR during these restrictions?

Yes. We have french residency which allows us to come and go under the current rules. Came back for Christmas.

As an update, the powers that gave rise to the current restrictions on UK travellers expire on 15th January. At that point they will either have to be extended or altered. Unless Monsieur le President says something tomorrow the 15th Jan becomes the key date.
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Once again not reliable data. France tends to hospitalise earlier and retain patients longer than the UK. Sadly the only truely reliable data is the number of excess deaths.

Quote:

This is a statement of the obvious; all infection gowth is exponential, all reduction of infection rates are expoential decline though this term appears rarely used. Simply; rate of increase (or decrease) is proportional to the number of infected people.

Incidently the UK rate of vacciantion per head of population (69%) is lower than that of France (73%) https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations.

A significant proportion of French received the single dose Janssen vaccine which was highly beneficial in making up ground on Delta and previous variants but is appearing to be quite fragile against Omicron. They called Janssen patients in very quickly as a result but there will always be a discrepancy. Interestingly there is a growing body of evidence that AZ is more effective at stimulating T-Cell response (long-term resistance) than MNRA vaccines and which is contributing to the UK's relatively good response to Omicron. Would be ironic but it's very early days.
latest report
France reported Europes highest daily infection rate yesterday at 179,801!!! I still have a feeling france will look at more restrictions soon on travel, so that locals cant travel more than 20 kilometres or something..skiing might well be off for this season in france..
ski holidays
22 dropout wrote:
Mother hucker wrote:
@22 dropout, are you travelling out on the 8th then? if my memory serves me correctly you're between the UK and Cham. Do you qualify to travel between the UK and FR during these restrictions?

Yes. We have french residency which allows us to come and go under the current rules. Came back for Christmas.

As an update, the powers that gave rise to the current restrictions on UK travellers expire on 15th January. At that point they will either have to be extended or altered. Unless Monsieur le President says something tomorrow the 15th Jan becomes the key date.

Isn’t there a defence council meeting in 5/1? I’ve heard of some hotels asking people not to confirm trips until after then?
latest report
yorkshirelad wrote:
France reported Europes highest daily infection rate yesterday at 179,801!!! I still have a feeling france will look at more restrictions soon on travel, so that locals cant travel more than 20 kilometres or something..skiing might well be off for this season in france..

Two things that might give more hope than that: firstly nobody can trust any data just now as testing has been all over the place at xmas so that could easily be three days’ worth of catch up.

And secondly Omicron appears to not only be milder but the increase in transmission seems to cause a rapid (big) spike but a rapid drop off. See SA. So given it’s still December I think it’s a bit early to write the season off (esp as CH kept lifts open all last season with no noticeable spike).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andy from embsay wrote:
yorkshirelad wrote:

Two things that might give more hope than that: firstly nobody can trust any data just now as testing has been all over the place at xmas so that could easily be three days’ worth of catch up.

And secondly Omicron appears to not only be milder but the increase in transmission seems to cause a rapid (big) spike but a rapid drop off. See SA. So given it’s still December I think it’s a bit early to write the season off (esp as CH kept lifts open all last season with no noticeable spike).

My feelings exactly, saw a report this morning that SA had a 40% drop in cases this wk,it appears that this variant gives a huge steep peak and then just as steep a drop,
We know loads of people with it atm none have symptoms as bad as most colds, one of myvstepsons who lives with us tested positve last night with the same symptoms that both of us had over xmas, his brother and girlfriend have had the last couple of days yet none of us have tested positive.
At the current rate everyone in the country will have had it by mid jan.
snow conditions
Skimum1 wrote:
colinstone wrote:
Don't forget who assumes the EU Presidency on Saturday - Mr Macron. France for the first time in 14 years.
I suspect that plus his electioneering will have him trying to demonstrate how tough he is on a non EU country, attempting to drag the rest of the EU in his direction, especially the new German Chancellor.

https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/french-foreign-policy/europe/the-french-presidency-of-the-council-of-the-european-union/

I agree. Not just "Brit-bashing" for the sake of it, but along with Pecresse claiming he lets the Brits push him around, I suspect it suits him politically to be hard on the UK. Depends how loud the alpine areas/ businesses that are hurting can be, but maybe they are more concerned to be staying open at all.
Just stop thinking the UK is anywhere on voters' mind. It's just nowhere - nobody cares, nobody even thinks about it. The EU is not on the agenda. I can't repeat it enough but there's no Brit bashing in France (or no more than German, Swiss, Italy bashing) as they're too busy blaming everything on immigrants.
snow conditions
@22 dropout, per vaccintracker, https://covidtracker.fr/vaccintracker/ not really so many Janssen doses at all ... ~1 out of around 100 million ... unlikely to be having any significant effect, I'd guess.

Very difficult to compare across countries in any meaningful way. France's 89.5% "fully vaccinated" coverage includes many like me* who had one dose following recovery, shown to be a valid strategy in retrospect. *We actually had a second dose early August to facilitate uk travel.

And as referred, France's management of hospitalisations is quite different.

And, and, as a population, (from my local conversations) increasingly resistant to restrictions ... general feeling that everyone's been very compliant in getting vaccinated, so that should be the end of it. With an appreciation of obviously, "the real world".
snow conditions
(deleted as duplicate, sorry)

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 29-12-21 10:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
As the French Government have said they are watching the situation in the UK and Denmark very closely and will obviously be looking at their own data but the data in the England is suggesting very mild for nearly all , few hospitalisations and many of those are being picked up from daily testing of those already in for other reasons and now early data it is suggested that actual numbers in London the first epicentre in UK are falling . So let’s hope the French hold their nerve .
ski holidays
@andy from embsay, @robs1, without going thru tortuous analysis that I'm not qualified for, given that:

- ONS estimates something like uk 96% innoculated by virus or infection
- Omicron doesn't evade immunity completely but is significantly more infectious

It sort of makes sense that it spreads rapidly amongst the most susceptible then falls back swiftly (this is one argument for the #s from RSA) - and for europe, hopefully the most susceptible to deathly dying are the most protected.

@Skimum1, I think what @patrick!, says: while there are defo some stations that will be hurting due lack of brits (e.g. Val d'Isere, Morzine, f'rinstance) I think in general that at least for these holidays, Europeans are broadly, if not in every situation, making up for much, if not any, shortfall.
latest report
@patrick!, Too right. We are not on voters minds - they are friendly towards us when in France etc.
But UK is Macron's Admiral Byng. He tried with the threatened and failed/walked back fishing blockade a few months ago.

The UK lock down was announced by the President's spokesman. The PM on Monday almost pointedly didn't comment, almost as if this is the Pres problem to deal with, along with fish. It is perhaps what wasn't said that is important.
Is there a difference of opinion tween Pres and PM??

You can read Macron upping the anti on Switzerland in advance of Saturday:

The French ambassador to Switzerland warns that the Alpine nation risks being left behind if it does not compromise with the European Union.

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/france-asks-switzerland-to-give-up--old-recipes--in-eu-negotiations/47222700?utm_campaign=news&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_content=o
snow report
patrick! wrote:
Skimum1 wrote:
colinstone wrote:

Just stop thinking the UK is anywhere on voters' mind. It's just nowhere - nobody cares, nobody even thinks about it. The EU is not on the agenda. I can't repeat it enough but there's no Brit bashing in France (or no more than German, Swiss, Italy bashing) as they're too busy blaming everything on immigrants.

+1

It is the UK who are obsessed with France. Nobody even mentions the UK in FR outside of a few isolated ski resort bubbles.

At the risk of thread derailment, it is just standard treatment of a non-EU country.
snow conditions
@JamesHJ, maybe the general public like you say but French politicians and indeed other nations politicians (von de Lyn) for instance will happily clobber the uk if it suits there agenda…. For one of the funniest and ironic changes of tone and message was when Barnier decided to run for president. If / when the uk starts enacting the Brexit agreement on will euro countries then that will be interesting as at the mo it’s all very one sided. Ps I was and am against Brexit but to say there’s no Brit bashing in various parts of the EU is naive at best…..but like you say let’s keep the thread focused.

I’m that vein, can you travel to France if you own property there? Is that classed as necessary travel ?

Cheers
snow conditions
ajc2260626 wrote:
@JamesHJ,

I’m that vein, can you travel to France if you own property there? Is that classed as necessary travel ?

Cheers

No, it’s not listed, but i did wonder whether you might be able to get an exemption from the embassy if you needed (for example) urgent repairs that you couldn’t sort remotely.
ski holidays
Friends drove to Serre Che yesterday, legally, and had a knock on the door this morning from the gendarmes checking that they were isolating and that they've booked their day 2 test.
I'm at Lyon airport waiting for OH to clear, she says very very officious, akin to some Nazi police force Laughing
latest report
@ajc2260626, Barnier didn't get very far with that, did he?

No, owning your own property is not classed as a pressing ground, https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/coming-to-france/coming-to-france-your-covid-19-questions-answered/article/list-of-pressing-grounds-for-travel-to-from-the-united-kingdom
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy