Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Updates Travel Restrictions

Poster: A snowHead
Arctic Roll wrote:
Ah sod it. Enjoy Christmas, and put the decision off: Que sera sera.

This is what I'm doing.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Currently on hold to Eurotunnel (again) trying to move our booking for Wednesday forward to March. Kicking cans down roads seems to be all I do right now.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arctic Roll wrote:

I'm keeing an eye / ear on what weathercam has to update on this alleged 5th Jan decision day...

What's allegedly happening on the 5th?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Seems you can go to France skiing via a green country…
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/france-travel-rules-uk-ban-update-b1977234.html
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Handy Turnip wrote:
Arctic Roll wrote:

I'm keeing an eye / ear on what weathercam has to update on this alleged 5th Jan decision day...

Nothing officially - 100% speculation
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arctic Roll wrote:
Meanwhile, back on, sort of, topic

We're a group of 9 travelling, supposedly, independently on 15th, Looked at moving the dates, but: our village is fully booked through March April, so until people start cancelling then, we're a bit stuffed. (And if they do start cancelling those, then there will be a reason...)

Do I cancel the trains now (when Eurostar and SNCF are still running) or wait until/if France relents. Do I cancel the bookings now, or wait until... Ah sod it. Enjoy Christmas, and put the decision off: Que sera sera.

Put it off - merry Christmas Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Handy Turnip wrote:
Arctic Roll wrote:

weathercam has a "contact" who seemed to think macron would wait until the 5th. before modifying anything. Based on the french TV last night to be honest I think the announcement might not be in the direction we all want. Sad Rapidly rising case figures just like UK
Having said that I have decided to grab a last flight back to UK on Friday, leaving my car here assuming something will change. Last time I did that was Feb 2020 and got back August....
Lightning doesn't strike twice does it ? Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stodge wrote:
Handy Turnip wrote:
Arctic Roll wrote:

Nothing officially - 100% speculation

+1 Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My money would be on a 3rd Jan lockdown (maybe lockdown lite) in France. Anecdotal evidence suggests covid is rapidly accelerating from the folks I'm chatting with.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
After 30 minutes on hold on the phone this morning, I gave up again, but when I went back to check later the Live Chat had been reactivated,and there were 2 people in the queue.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@chocksaway, hmmm, I am not convinced that the French would tolerate another lockdown. I'm definitely not convinced it would encourage booster jabs (and primary vaccinations), which are what is really required.

Apparently masks required in the main streets in Cham now, posters back up, etc., but probably only 60-70% compliance. (No, I am not, it's a nonsense).

Probably 30-40% mask wearing in lift queues and on chairs (and if a liftie asks me why I'm not wearing one, I'm quite ready to ask them why they're not wearing theirs ... )

Before anyone comments, yes, I am happily sporting my somewhat tired mask indoors, on cable cars (well my sweaty buff anyway), etc.

Contagion theatre.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hells Bells wrote:
Currently on hold to Eurotunnel (again) trying to move our booking for Wednesday forward to March.

You can't do it online? I moved ours online.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Layne, not if you book with a Tesco voucher you can't. Ended up on the live chat and it took 2 minutes, but it wasn't available when I started the call.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@under a new name, I think you may be right about the tolerance of the locals. But with the hospitals in A-R-Alpes being high and the infection rates (Tignes > 1000 per 100k) there might not be an option...

Burning Citroens in Paris for NY?
snow conditions
@chocksaway, 1000 per 100k where'd you get that figure?
snow conditions
Mother hucker wrote:
@chocksaway, 1000 per 100k where'd you get that figure?

744 per 100k in Savoie acording to covidtracker.fr
ski holidays
Taken from the connexion newspaper in france..

The Omicron variant, which is currently spreading rapidly around the world, “could be good news,” say some virological experts.

“I’ve been hearing colleagues say that [Omicron] is ‘devastating’. It is not devastating at all,” French doctor and medical columnist Gérald Kierzek told LCI. "It's not becuse there's an explosion of cases that there's an explosion of hospitalisations.

Apparently French hospitals full of non vacc. People
Maybe the alps lot will petition macron to let skiers in ????? Maybe !!
snow conditions
yorkshirelad wrote:
Taken from the connexion newspaper in france..

The Omicron variant, which is currently spreading rapidly around the world, “could be good news,” say some virological experts.

“I’ve been hearing colleagues say that [Omicron] is ‘devastating’. It is not devastating at all,” French doctor and medical columnist Gérald Kierzek told LCI. "It's not becuse there's an explosion of cases that there's an explosion of hospitalisations.

Maybe the alps lot will petition macron to let skiers in ????? Maybe !!

Whats that alluding to? Is it a "get vaccinated" call?
ski holidays
@chocksaway, I thought the burning of Citroens was an annual tradition?
latest report
After just overtaking UK in the J1/J2 vaccination race, France booster jabs are well behind UK in the 20s% compared to UK 40s% as reported on BBC News last night.
And from OWID - UK 1200 cases/1m, CH 1000, FR 800, D 420.
snow report
@Mother hucker, @Idris, Yesterday, le Dauphine published figures by commune in map format.
ski holidays
@yorkshirelad, Same issue in Leeds ICU full of very ill unvaccinated, with some young and very fit people. A&E swamped with COVID positive unvaccinated people panicking because they have early symptoms instead of staying at home they are demanding medical attention. But nothing can be done except be evaluated by a triage team and send them home if possible.

My concern is there going to be enough tin foil for the Christmas Turkey with all the antivaxxer's using it for the their heads? Very Happy
latest report
I was taking it that omicron is mild and not life threatening...no need for travel restriction..on the other hand because non vacc. People are overflowing hospitals then lockdown may happen to save the system !!!
snow report
@yorkshirelad, something we don’t know about the unvaccinated young fit people mentioned above is have they had Covid before or not. Or is this the first time? Who knows.
ski holidays
@yorkshirelad, whether Omicron is really mild is mostly wishful thinking at the moment. There are some early experiments suggesting biological plausibility for that, but what will count is data from patients. It takes 2+ weeks for patients to become seriously ill, and the virus is transmitting so fast that there really weren't many known cases 2 weeks ago to do the statistics on.

I suspect the unvaccinated patients reported to be the majority in intensive care are mostly infected with Delta from when it was the predominant strain (suspicions are that Omicron will have taken over by now, though it will take a week or so for the sequencing data to show that).
ski holidays
yorkshirelad wrote:
I was taking it that omicron is mild and not life threatening...no need for travel restriction..on the other hand because non vacc. People are overflowing hospitals then lockdown may happen to save the system !!!

If this is proven, that its mild then IMO lock down the unvaccinated. Many I am sure won't agree but everyone makes choices and if you choose not to be vaccinated then you take the consequences and if they are the ones causing all the problems with the health system they get a harsh lock down and those who are not causing issues can carry on. I suspect it would get more support than a full lock down on everyone

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 21-12-21 13:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Quote:

they get a hash lock down

Ding-doing merrily, I'm high!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rob_Quads wrote:
If this is proven, that its mild then IMO lock down the unvaccinated. Many I am sure won't agree but everyone makes choices and if you choose not to be vaccinated then you take the consequences and if they are the ones causing all the problems with the health system they get a harsh lock down and those who are not causing issues can carry on. I suspect it would get more support than a full lock down on everyone

I couldn't agree more. Although I suspect that the unvaccinated are the same people who, before vaccines, only wanted a lock-down for the vulnerable. Now that they are vulnerable I suspect they won't be so keen.
snow report
Rob_Quads wrote:

Quite a simple response to the unvaccinated, put them in lockdown here in the UK in the same way that Austrian Government has imposed restrictions on their unvaccinated citizens, and for them to get vaccinated by February 1st 2022. No pubs! No Clubs! No Footie. No shopping, stay at home, work from home, stop fannying about. Strict enforcement by the Covid Police, leading to capital punishment for second offence!
latest report
And no benefits either
snow conditions
jafa wrote:
And no benefits either
And switch off their gas and electrics for starters. Laughing
ski holidays
I just want it confirmed that the travel retriction on the UK will last until at least mid February.. then I can have my holiday cancelled and book for Austria or Italy..
ski holidays
@yorkshirelad, I'm afraid any certainty is out of the question. I've given up on getting away first week Jan but hopeful for late Jan
snow report
yorkshirelad wrote:
I just want it confirmed that the travel retriction on the UK will last until at least mid February.. then I can have my holiday cancelled and book for Austria or Italy..

Apparently 1/3rd of Parisienne covid cases are omicron, so if anything I can see the travel ban being lifted. Though it might also mean tighter restrictions in France itself.
ski holidays
Still keeping fingers crossed for late Jan ourselves, but one of our group has been asking what we'll do if we can still technically go but everything is shut (no apres, no bars/restaurants) - just lifts and accommodation. They aren't particularly keen on that themselves, personally would still go but can sort of understand how in a group booking situation others might want to back out at that stage...

Also I am aware that the demographic of this site is likely to be almost exclusively on my side in this one snowHead
latest report
Skiing without the party isn’t skiing
ski holidays
@javindo at this point I’d happily eat nothing but Carrefour baguettes for breakfast, lunch and hotel room dinner if it meant I could ski!
ski holidays
The social side of a ski holiday (of any holiday) is important, but for us this meant small catered chalets or cooking for ourselves in a rented apartment, taking it in turns to cook and chat to everyone else with a drink in hand, and having plenty of supermarket-price booze, games to play, etc. When our kids were of an age when they would have enjoyed expensive drinks in bars they never had the money - so would get a stash of supermarket drink ("Old Lady Gin" was always a favourite) in at the beginning of the week and make their own parties. Skiing was always seen as top priority - my younger son used to get out sometimes with a ferocious hangover, scarcely able to see where he was going.
latest report
I agree - Many moons ago we used to go on a boys trip every year, going out every night, which by the end of the week involved us staying out till about 4am in the morning, so it was a big part of the hols. However, the reason we went was always for the skiing, and the rest was a bonus. I remember my first ever trip to Val Thorens, we were the wrong end of town, so didn't realise all the bars existed until the last day - so most nights were spend in the apartment cooking and drinking. And we always look back fondly on that trip, so it didn't affect anything at all.

Different strokes for different folks I guess..
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy