Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Updates Travel Restrictions

Poster: A snowHead
Phantom & handy

No doubt the France figures are higher than they are reporting, but as UK sequence more tests we will find more and numbers will be higher.

Knee jerk reaction maybe, political statement/intentions maybe.

PIA - absolutely, devastating and so hacked off
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@stefoy4me, exactly, if you look for Omicron you will find it. It’s everywhere I don’t doubt it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I hereby certify that my reason for travelling is one of the following compelling reasons:
● French citizens, their spouses (married, civil union and cohabiting) and their children.

Sooo, anyone know any French blokes who might want to get married in the next 2-3 weeks? Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Has anyone been able to find a “review date” for this change?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@stefoy4me, Strictly, going by the numbers Denmark is ground zero for numbers with Omicron with 90,000 new cases yesterday equalised for UK population. And a very high proportion of Omicron and growing.

Who does most sequencing in Europe, Denmark and UK.
Of countries over 1m people, who does the most testing in Europe, Denmark, Austria and UK.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not an expert, but from what I observe, the vast majority of tests here are lateral flow / antigenic done at pharmacies without sequencing. Might explain the strangely low numbers for omicron here ...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've just had a call from Crystal about making an amendment I requested, and I asked if they were cancelling my holiday to Andorra which goes via Toulouse.

No, not cancelled.

The advisor said that the only holidays affected at the moment are ones flying into Grenoble Chambery (I think she said Geneva but may have mis-heard).

So, it looks like our holiday on Sunday is still going ahead.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stefoy4me wrote:
Phantom & handy

No doubt the France figures are higher than they are reporting, but as UK sequence more tests we will find more and numbers will be higher.

Knee jerk reaction maybe, political statement/intentions maybe.

PIA - absolutely, devastating and so hacked off

Oh yes, those Frenchies would never tell the truth about anything --- unlike Johnson rolling eyes

Totally understand your being hacked off but Johnson's 'picture' painted over last 2 days is grim. If you were mainland-based you might objectively see BoJo's 'measured' response being underwhelming by the standards already in place in much of mainland Europe.

Doest make anyone right or wrong.

The fact that UK is unfortunately at the forefront of this damn variant an unfortunate fact.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 16-12-21 13:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We were planning on driving 'through' France to Italy, and the 'Independent' is saying you can transit France if you do it in less than 24hrs. I'm clutching at straws I know. Has anyone seen that anywhere else?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've just managed to move my trip to Alpe d'Huez on the 15th Jan back to mid 12th March. Crystal were fine with it as hoped.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@pinkcharlie28, see my post above.

I'm guessing that transmitting to Andorra is still okay so you may be sound
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Specialman, transmitting would be a definite No No. transiting may be ok?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I've just had a call from Crystal about making an amendment I requested, and I asked if they were cancelling my holiday to Andorra which goes via Toulouse.

No, not cancelled.

The advisor said that the only holidays affected at the moment are ones flying into Grenoble Chambery (I think she said Geneva but may have mis-heard).

So, it looks like our holiday on Sunday is still going ahead.

Must be classed as transmitting I guess - would be the only way it's allowed.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

@Specialman, transmitting would be a definite No No. transiting may be ok?

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well I've cancelled and bizarrely I feel better, the uncertainty was doing my head in. Not happy but not surprised. Might try again in March...... but at the last minute
snow conditions
@davejsy, @On the rocks, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I'm actually a bit shell shocked after the call... I was convinced that we weren't going, although I'm still dubious.
snow report
I haven't done our statement of honour form yet.

Are they still available for travel before midnight tomorrow?
snow conditions
jafa wrote:
This is the new dec to be signed before crossing with Eurotunnel

• Travellers in transit for less than 24 hours in an international zone.

I suspect that this rule applies to international transfers at airports only and cannot be used for driving through France to other destinations.
snow conditions
@brianatab,
Quote:

Credit confirmation within a couple of hours.

Really?! I've cancelled two BA trips recently. I spoke to them on the 8th and the 13th and still haven't had any email confirmation on either trip.
snow conditions
@brianatab, was this online manage my booking or did you call them?
snow report
Crystal were very quick off the mark and emailed at 11am to say they have cancelled our holiday for next week and will be sending a full refund. They also sent a code for 10% off if we rebook for this season or next. We were due to fly into Chambery on Tuesday for a week in Serre Chevalier.
I’m gutted.
Half considering booking Austria instead, but will they just follow up with a similar announcement now?
snow report
I thought about changing to Andorra but think just setting us up for more disappointment
snow report
Especially frustrating when there are some real bargains to be had in Austria next week!! rolling eyes

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 16-12-21 15:16; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Susang73 wrote:
I thought about changing to Andorra but think just setting us up for more disappointment

Depending on when you're going, I personally think Andorra could be a good option. You can fly into either France or Spain, which gives you an additional option if one does add further restrictions (and Spain is normally pretty reluctant to block entry anyway). As Specialman has seen you can transit from France currently.

And the snow in Grandvaliria looks pretty good at the moment.
snow conditions
Such a pain.

We're not due to fly until 14th Jan. Airbnb is free cancellation until 1st Jan, so I think we will end up cancelling the Airbnb and train tickets from the airport, get all our money back, and wait until last minute to decide on the flight. They're in to Geneva, so either go from there to Switzerland, or move to Italy or Austria depending on everyone's entry requirements.

You never know, France might be back on the cards again by then!
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
I haven't done our statement of honour form yet.

Are they still available for travel before midnight tomorrow?

Yes, done ours in the last couple of hours.
latest report
you would think there has been enough time to update the gov website by now...if you are not a snowheader and simply go to teh goc website for advice you would know nothing of the new french requirements !
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
Talk about shutting the stable door after the cheval has bolted.

President OMacron is going for the bold optical measure as opposed to making preparations for the wave that is going to engulf France before Christmas. He'll not be getting many votes in the Alps!

Don't think he would have got many, anyway (probably in his calculations prior to new measures!) - but think of all the votes he may pick up from Parisians delighted at empty slopes over the upcoming holidays. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
swskier wrote:
Such a pain.

We're not due to fly until 14th Jan. Airbnb is free cancellation until 1st Jan, so I think we will end up cancelling the Airbnb and train tickets from the airport, get all our money back, and wait until last minute to decide on the flight. They're in to Geneva, so either go from there to Switzerland, or move to Italy or Austria depending on everyone's entry requirements.

You never know, France might be back on the cards again by then!

And that is the pain summed up nicely. We're due out in France on the 15th, and I think there is a chance restrictions may be eased by then - but you can't leave it that late without risking a lot of money. So, like most people, I think we could end up cancelling just to see it all open up again.
snow conditions
paulo wrote:
Quote:

Just goes to show.. two vaccines and a booster were a waste of time

Laughing Some perspective needed!

It's difficult to disagree with the original sentiment, at least in the context of travel.

It seems that it's the various world governments that seem to have lost all sense of perspective Sad
ski holidays
Forgive me for clutching at straws but would UK citizens be allowed to enter via Switzerland - can’t find any time frame etc
snow conditions
Rookiescot wrote:
Forgive me for clutching at straws but would UK citizens be allowed to enter via Switzerland - can’t find any time frame etc

hoping to do just that tomorrow
latest report
David B wrote:
What concerns me is that Pandemic's of this magnitude last about five years. I genuinely wished I had not moved back to UK from Germany in 2013.

On the bright side, in 9 months time we will be half way through the 5 years.

Every cloud.... rolling eyes Shocked

Roll on ski season 26/27....
snow report
I've seen a couple of posters in this thread who have said they have had refunds authorised by Easyjet, who were flying into Geneva, ahead of a trip to France - Is that the case? I;ve just spoken to them and they've said they wouldn't do it?
snow conditions
Bergmeister wrote:
paulo wrote:
Quote:

Just goes to show.. two vaccines and a booster were a waste of time

Laughing Some perspective needed!

It's difficult to disagree with the original sentiment, at least in the context of travel.

It seems that it's the various world governments that seem to have lost all sense of perspective Sad

Absolutely, this plays right into the hands of the antivax crew.
latest report
I think Steve's post this afternoon puts things into perspective:-

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=82612&start=7600
snow report
Rookiescot wrote:

If you get to Switzerland you’d have a good chance of getting through the border (some are unmanned) but you’d probably have to claim on the PLF that you’re staying in Switzerland and may also struggle with French accommodation providers etc
latest report
Gov website updated

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france/coronavirus
ski holidays
Chamsters wrote:
Klammertime wrote:
For those asking about still transiting into France from airports in Switzerland/Italy etc I'd think that's a very risky strategy to try and do. Going to be obvious you're a skiing tourist and not a trucker! Would think French authorities will close that loophole pretty smartish. Can only end badly in some enforced expensive quarantine.

It is risky, you're right. I do wonder whether every single border crossing will have people enforcing rules - i guess that's part of the risk. I'm waiting for official guidance around this still....

I honestly don't think flying into Geneva and driving into France in a rental car with Swiss plates would be risky at all. It doesn't matter if you look like a ski tourist. There are loads of skiers that live in Geneva and head into France every day so you'll just look like one of them. Even in the unlikely event you get stopped they have to ask if you've been in the UK recently.
latest report
corshidan wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:
corshidan wrote:
I had flights booked with Jet2 for 22nd of Jan, do you think I have any chances of getting a refund from them?

I think you’ll only get a refund if the flight is cancelled, and as it stands, there’s still a chance these restrictions will be lifted.

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately the place where we booked said we can only get 70% of our money back if we cancel before 20th of Dec, and we pretty much decided we will cancel. Sad times..

I'd probably try and argue you're not cancelling, the French government have stopped you from going, you'd go if you were allowed and see where that gets you
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy