Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss quarantine for UK travellers

Poster: A snowHead
At Manchester airport departure lounge now waiting for our flight to Geneva.

We were asked for PCR at baggage drop but they accepted lateral flow cert from Randox

Other than a bit of a queue going through security there has been no issues. Will update (hopefully) when in Geneva.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi all

We are due to fly to Geneva on 27th. For the Lateral Flow (Antigen) Test, does this have to be a supervised test done eg on Zoom or at a test centre? Or can you just physically show them a negative test cassette?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@tronic, it will have to be certified.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@tronic, certified by lab so the likes of c19 testing where you photo the cassette and your ID and they return a QR coded certificate - it doesn't need to be witnessed on a zoom call
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Got it, suspected as much, thanks very much @GlasgowCyclops and @RichieC43...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lets hope the Swiss don't decide to go back to take away meals on the slopes....could do with a plate of rosti and a bottle of Dole.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@NewSkiingDad, interested in how you got on with your Swiss entry with your antigen self test/lab cert issued certificate, any update?
Flying a triangle Man-Osl-Zrh-Man, 4 in family group so all testing savings info for Switzerland is a serious cost saving. Have a great holiday
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Apologies if this has already been discussed, but....

Looks like Swiss removed all countries from VOC list on Dec 4th (so no quarantine requirements),

https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/empfehlungen-fuer-reisende/liste.html

....and have just relaxed entry testing from PCR to LFT

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/switzerland-travel-testing-antigen-pcr-b1979488.html?amp

... what am I missing re travel to Switzerland now that everywhere else won't have us? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
geoffers wrote:
Apologies if this has already been discussed, but....

Looks like Swiss removed all countries from VOC list on Dec 4th (so no quarantine requirements),

https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/empfehlungen-fuer-reisende/liste.html

....and have just relaxed entry testing from PCR to LFT

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/switzerland-travel-testing-antigen-pcr-b1979488.html?amp

... what am I missing re travel to Switzerland now that everywhere else won't have us? Toofy Grin

Yes that Switzerland no long had any countries on its VoC list had been noted.

Good news on the entry requirement allowing an LFT but the important thing to note is

“travellers opting for an antigen test must take it within the 24-hour window prior to arrival.”

(And I think cannot be an NHS one. )

Whereas a PCR has a 72 hour window.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not missing much - the full entry requirements are here https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/empfehlungen-fuer-reisende/quarantaene-einreisende.html (I prefer an official Swiss source rather than a journalists interpretation if possible!)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@oui4ski, true and good to see in totality but on this specific point and all that was in the article the journo seems to have got it right when I read both.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ster, fair enough Very Happy - I've just been concerned given the numbers of newer members on here relying upon journalists or travel companies interpretation rather than government sources!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Returned from Switzerland yesterday after a 5 day trip to the 4 Vallees. Flew Easyjet to Geneva on 18/12 (mare with cancelled flights!) finally arriving at accom in Nendaz at 11pm. Easyjet very thorough with checking negative tests (adults) and Swiss PLF. Also checked at Geneva. As far as checking in resort, very random. Walked in to some mountain restaurants with no checking, others wanted to see covid pass. Masks compulsory in restaurants and on lifts - most lifts had someone reminding you to wear a mask. Didn't do 4-7 day test, but did return home LFTs with Randox - all very straightforward and certificates arrived within three hours. Check in staff at Geneva asked for covid passes and PLF and neg tests (kids too).

Great 4 days skiing in Nendaz / Verbier / Thyon - covid passes and masks a minor inconvenience.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@james75, thanks for the info ... which tests did you take on the way out? Verified Antigen LFT or PCR?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dvb wrote:
@james75, thanks for the info ... which tests did you take on the way out? Verified Antigen LFT or PCR?

Before going - PCR test from Randox (think LFT woukd be ok now), to return home, LFT from Randox.
latest report
james75 wrote:
Returned from Switzerland yesterday after a 5 day trip to the 4 Vallees. Flew Easyjet to Geneva on 18/12 (mare with cancelled flights!) finally arriving at accom in Nendaz at 11pm. Easyjet very thorough with checking negative tests (adults) and Swiss PLF. Also checked at Geneva. As far as checking in resort, very random. Walked in to some mountain restaurants with no checking, others wanted to see covid pass. Masks compulsory in restaurants and on lifts - most lifts had someone reminding you to wear a mask. Didn't do 4-7 day test, but did return home LFTs with Randox - all very straightforward and certificates arrived within three hours. Check in staff at Geneva asked for covid passes and PLF and neg tests (kids too).

Great 4 days skiing in Nendaz / Verbier / Thyon - covid passes and masks a minor inconvenience.

Was there at same time as you. Just landed back in uk. Much the same experience as you describe. We skied mainly in Thyon & Vessonaz. Nobody asked us to wear masks on lifts but staff were thorough on Telecabines. We were only asked for covid passes at one bar - but to be fair we sat outside at most places.
ski holidays
@james75, thanks for the info, relying on C19 verified antigen lateral flow test ... Fingers crossed
ski holidays
@dvb, No problems getting into GVA today. C19 LFT tests promptly accepted both at checkin and at the border.
ski holidays
We flew out on 20th Dec. 24 hour antigen test with Chronomics accepted (though had to tell Easyjet staff at BRS rules had changes overnight (it was the 07:10 flight). Antigen test, Swiss PLF and Proof of Vaccination all required to check in, and all docs checked at GVA.

Email from Canton after 2 days to ask for proof of vaccination + PLCF reference.

Fly back tomorrow, done Chronomics Fit to Fly tests again and completed UK PLF.
Warning - if you can, pre-register for the UK PLF. The form is a bit of a pain to fill out and you will need to be able to scan, or upload the proof of vaccination QR code (just the QR code and nothing else), which might not be easy.

100% compliance with mask wearing here in Zermatt, and QR codes read to enter restaurants in both CH and Italia.
ski holidays
@JDL65, thanks for the info regards UK PLF - I assume you can still pre-fill the form with your QR codes etc and save it, then just submit within the 48 hours?
ski holidays
@lacedelli, thanks, feeling more at ease now Very Happy
snow report
RichieC43 wrote:
@JDL65, thanks for the info regards UK PLF - I assume you can still pre-fill the form with your QR codes etc and save it, then just submit within the 48 hours?

If only it was that straightforward rolling eyes

You can create and save a draft of the UK PLF in advance. It then sends you a link by email so that you can go back in and update the draft. However, it will only let you fill in about 30% of the form prior to the 48 hr submission window (and doesn't let you get as far as uploading the vaccination QR code). And if you have no activity with the draft for 7 days, it helpfully deletes it for you Mad Mad

You can in theory set up an account for the PLF to save your details for multiple PLFs, but as I found if you make an error with the international code format for your mobile number for the verification text for the account set-up, it permanently locks you out of the account and you can't set up another one under the same email address.

The whole thing is atrociously Kafkaesque. It's like filling in an asylum application.

You don't however have to upload the Vaccination Certificate to the PLF. There is the alternative option of presenting the vaccination certificate separately to the PLF QR at check-in/border control. I was able to successfully submit the PLF and get the QR code for it without uploading the vax certificate when I travelled back via Geneva last week.

I would definitely recommend having a dummy run with it (and if possible creating a draft) on a laptop before you travel out, rather than trying to do the whole thing from scratch on a mobile phone on the eve of returning home. And allow about an hour (and some hair tearing) for the process - compared with about 4 minutes it takes to do the super-efficient and straightforward Swiss Entry Form...
snow report
On my last 2 trips back the UK, I couldn’t get the vaccine QR codes to scan, selected the can’t upload proof part and the PLF completed, both times came through the e-gates with no questions asked, once heathrow other one gatwick
snow conditions
CathS wrote:
RichieC43 wrote:

If only it was that straightforward rolling eyes

You can create and save a draft of the UK PLF in advance. It then sends you a link by email so that you can go back in and update the draft. However, it will only let you fill in about 30% of the form prior to the 48 hr submission window (and doesn't let you get as far as uploading the vaccination QR code). And if you have no activity with the draft for 7 days, it helpfully deletes it for you Mad Mad

You can in theory set up an account for the PLF to save your details for multiple PLFs, but as I found if you make an error with the international code format for your mobile number for the verification text for the account set-up, it permanently locks you out of the account and you can't set up another one under the same email address.

The whole thing is atrociously Kafkaesque. It's like filling in an asylum application.

You don't however have to upload the Vaccination Certificate to the PLF. There is the alternative option of presenting the vaccination certificate separately to the PLF QR at check-in/border control. I was able to successfully submit the PLF and get the QR code for it without uploading the vax certificate when I travelled back via Geneva last week.

I would definitely recommend having a dummy run with it (and if possible creating a draft) on a laptop before you travel out, rather than trying to do the whole thing from scratch on a mobile phone on the eve of returning home. And allow about an hour (and some hair tearing) for the process - compared with about 4 minutes it takes to do the super-efficient and straightforward Swiss Entry Form...

Hellish, isn’t it?

It covers everything under the sun. We found (2 weeks ago) that it won’t allow two adults to be on the same form. So two email addresses are needed, which was a last minute panic for us as we share an icloud email address on iphones and ipads. Got out of jail with my wife using her work email address.

Make sure you have the prebooked special UK 2 day PCR codes (from the UK lab/test provider) with you for the PLF. We forgot, so another panic. Luckily my wife found them on old test messages.

I’d advise having a more user friendly tablet or laptop with you.
snow report
The PLF email address is merely a contact point (there is no requirement to have a different email address per PLF) - we returned to the UK last week via Geneva and I used my email address across 3 PLF's because it was easier to juggle incoming emails from my phone!
latest report
The Swiss Federal Council had a telephone meeting this afternoon. Despite the rising case numbers they decided no new restrictions should be brought in.
snow report
@JohnMo, Thanks for that. Flying out on Sunday and was a bit worried they may do something.
latest report
Being paranoid here: I have C19 lateral flow tests which are is done at home unsupervised & you upload the image. Are those the tests that are OK for entering Switzerland? If done within 24 hours?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@PinkPig, I certainly hope so - that’s what I’ve done. I’ve not seen anything to suggest this won’t be acceptable. These will also be ok for the pre-return tests for UK
ski holidays
@PinkPig, I believe so but we currently have a disagreement within our group - one thinks we need a PCR, but I think lateral flow is fine.

We're flying into Geneva and then traveling on to Italy.

Be great if we could get a consensus of opinion on here.
latest report
@Handy Turnip, for Switzerland it can be 72hr PCR or 24hr LF. However I don’t know what Italy requires.

Edit: corrected PCR time, sorry for any confusion and thank you albob

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 2-01-22 12:32; edited 2 times in total
snow report
@Handy Turnip, The Swiss https://travelcheck.admin.ch/ site comes up with this

"You need to present a negative PCR test (not older than 72 hours) or a negative rapid antigen test (not older than 24 h) at boarding. Under 16s and people who have a medical certificate to prove that they cannot have a Sars-CoV-2 test for medical reasons are exempt from the testing requirement."

Fully vacced, entering Switzerland and travelling from the UK with a transit to another country.

It is unsure how you would get on if entering France on the way to Italy and then " what are the entry requirements for Italy?"
latest report
Thanks @motyl, @albob - that's my assumption too.

Italy appears to be antigen too. We're planning on driving through Switzerland so avoiding France altogether.
snow conditions
@Handy Turnip, I don’t know if that is the UK gov website - it has been known to get things less than accurate. There should be a link to Italy’s own website which should have everything you need to know. (Lots of “should”s here Madeye-Smiley )
snow report
@motyl, good shout, I'll give it a look
ski holidays
motyl wrote:
@PinkPig, I certainly hope so - that’s what I’ve done. I’ve not seen anything to suggest this won’t be acceptable. These will also be ok for the pre-return tests for UK

I have used the self testing for coming back to the UK a few times. I am off to Switzerland tomorrow and did a PCR test yesterday (negative) but that was only because I booked it before Switzerland dropped the PCR requirement and started accepting lateral flow. Next time I am heading out I fully intend to use the self test - there is nothing on the Swiss government website that suggests they would not be valid. You get a certificate from the test company in exactly the same way.
ski holidays
motyl wrote:
@Handy Turnip, I don’t know if that is the UK gov website - it has been known to get things less than accurate. There should be a link to Italy’s own website which should have everything you need to know. (Lots of “should”s here Madeye-Smiley )

Yes the Italian website seems to indicate the same.
snow report
I think that the lateral flow test is not good enough for international travel. I don't think it is sensitive enough in early infection stages. A chap I know took LFTs before eurotunnel to FR quarantine and negative. Mrs tested positive on PCR at FR 48 hour test 2 days later, but not Omicron.
I wonder if a PCR day before travel would have picked it up quicker??
snow report
colinstone wrote:
I think that the lateral flow test is not good enough for international travel. I don't think it is sensitive enough in early infection stages. A chap I know took LFTs before eurotunnel to FR quarantine and negative. Mrs tested positive on PCR at FR 48 hour test 2 days later, but not Omicron.

That is a different issue and not one many on here would be qualified to answer (I include myself in that group). As a matter of government regulation in the UK and Switzerland they are OK as pre departure tests in both directions.
ski holidays
colinstone wrote:

Although most people I know take the PCR a day before they would take the LFT to ensure they get the results back in time, so it might just even itself out.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy