Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to cut weight?

Poster: A snowHead
pam w wrote:
..I wouldn't pay much attention to that. Those numbers give a BMI of 21.7, which is fine. Skinny people can be muscly and strong too - think of those fell runners. ..
Me either. I'm fit not skinny but my BMI is less than that.

It wasn't my first response to the original question, but if people are carrying excess fat,
then that's a logical place to start cutting weight, obviously.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
conor90 wrote:
Thought I'd update here after my touring and maybe get some more thoughts.

Did three days touring around Espace Killy. Only 500m ascent first 2 days, which was fine. Legs didn't feel tired. The third day we did 900m ascent, from 2500m to 3400m. The last 250m were very tough. The guide said I'd probably feel the altitude. We also did the 900m in about 2.5 hours with a 15 minute break. Is that a reasonable pace? Not talking skimo or anything.

I tried to buy boots in Tignes and couldn't get any. One place had only 1 light touring boot, but not in my size. Another place I tried the Technica Zero G Tour Scout, but I have high arches and boot was too tight on the top of my foot. The fitter said I won't find a touring boot to fit my foot type! Anyone have any experience with this?

That’s decent pace - the altitude would have been crippling above 3000m.

A friend of mine tried the Zero-G pro tour and had what sounds like a similar problem to you with the arch. They put him in a Scarpa Maestrale RS which fits him well and he’s enjoying. It’s a 101 last so may be a couple of mm wider than your Langes?
https://www.scarpa.com/maestrale-rs-coming-this-september

https://www.sport-conrad.com/en/products/scarpa/maestrale-rs-sc.html

To answer your previous question I think I prefer skiing on the ATK FR14’s to the Shifts. They are by far my favourite PIN bindings compared to Fritschi Xenic (awful), Marker Alpinist (ok), Salomon Shift (heavy and fiddly).

Hope it helps!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Arno wrote:
@Haggis_Trap, i always thought 300m an hour was about par for Naismith. Feel fat and lazy now Laughing

it is "5km horizontal / hour" plus additional "600m / hr" of vertical.
a good rule - even though its for travel on foot.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naismith%27s_rule

to be fair : 600m vert would be pretty fast / sweaty / unsustainable for whole day.

For me, yes. 600m for an hour, then more like 300 for the next 2 if I've pushed that hard.....but then again my neighbours consider me slow and quite fat....they reccon about 1200m/h sustained or 1500m/h for 1 hour!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@BobinCH,

just out of interest, would you prefer the ATKs on a non-skinning day? I think most people buy shifts to use on skis that they will only be occasionally skinning on.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mishmash wrote:
BobinCH if you are reading this and want to “shift” any of your surplus DPS can I be first in line ?

« Surplus DPS » what is this strange phrase???

Apparently they’re announcing a new model tomorrow snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jedster wrote:
@BobinCH,

just out of interest, would you prefer the ATKs on a non-skinning day? I think most people buy shifts to use on skis that they will only be occasionally skinning on.

If I had to make that choice I’d probably take the Shifts for the additional security features

I still prefer skis with Alpine bindings for Freeride/piste days.

The Shifts are probably still the best choice for a 90/10 lift served/touring but if it was more than 25% touring I’d get the FR14’s now with Zero-G’s and 1800-2000g skis. 50% touring and reduce the skis to 15-1600g eg the DPS Pagoda Tour / FR14 / Zero-G setup. More touring than that and the super light boots are worth a look - Scarpa Alien/F1LT / new Tecnica Peak. They are a joy on the up and I’m getting used to them on the down.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
WeatherCam wrote:

At 600m per hour most on SnowHeads I surmise would be well fecked after that pace, though does depend on terrain, if you're fooling yourself skinning up hardpack snow, or over a few inches across Scottish heathland Vs breaking trail in the forest after a typical Euro dump then there's a bit of a difference Laughing

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 2-02-22 14:06; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Weathercam wrote:
Idris wrote:
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Arno wrote:
@Haggis_Trap, i always thought 300m an hour was about par for Naismith. Feel fat and lazy now Laughing

it is "5km horizontal / hour" plus additional "600m / hr" of vertical.
a good rule - even though its for travel on foot.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naismith%27s_rule

to be fair : 600m vert would be pretty fast / sweaty / unsustainable for whole day.

For me, yes. 600m for an hour, then more like 300 for the next 2 if I've pushed that hard.....but then again my neighbours consider me slow and quite fat....they reccon about 1200m/h sustained or 1500m/h for 1 hour!

That sounds about right Laughing

At 600m per hour most on SnowHeads I surmise would be well fecked after that pace, though does depend on terrain, if you're fooling yourself skinning up hardpack snow, or over a few inches across Scottish heathland Vs breaking trail in the forest after a typical Euro dump then there's a bit of a difference Laughing

500/h sustained is a strong pace on freeride gear. Might start a bit faster but you’ll for sure slow down at altitude!

Different game on a lightweight skimo setup
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Is that a reasonable pace? Not talking skimo or anything.

Don't worry about pace. Firstly it's very difficult to compare routes - breaking a technical route through trees with lots of kickturns and deep snow is always going to be a lot slower than crusing up a nice perfectly angled skin track. Secondly, it makes no difference what other people can can't do. It's much better to target a sustainable pace you can comfortably maintain and isn't going to leave you gassed by the top or struggling to walk the next day.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@BobinCH, Thanks, that's helpful.

@boarder2020, The reason I'm thinking about pace is there's a good chance I'll be signing up to join group trips in the future so just trying to get an idea. And I'll never be breaking trail!

The boot situation is frustrating as I don't think I'll be in the mountains again this season. I'll probably look to pick up a lighter ski and bindings set up in the sales online. I'll keep improving the fitness too, cheaper and healthier than new kit!

Thanks for all the input.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@BobinCH, There are 2 new DPS skis in 117 and 138 widths Very Happy

https://www.dpsskis.com/collections/powtime/products/powderworks-138-lotus

https://www.dpsskis.com/collections/powtime/products/pagoda-117

Since I've already got Lotus 138's and the 117 looks more like a replacement for the discontinued 112RPC charging ski, so not for me.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PowderAdict wrote:
@BobinCH, There are 2 new DPS skis in 117 and 138 widths Very Happy

https://www.dpsskis.com/collections/powtime/products/powderworks-138-lotus

https://www.dpsskis.com/collections/powtime/products/pagoda-117

Since I've already got Lotus 138's and the 117 looks more like a replacement for the discontinued 112RPC charging ski, so not for me.

Those Lotus 138’s are pretty! I have a gaping quiver gap between the 124’s and the Spoons just waiting to be filled snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Weathercam wrote:
...., if you're fooling yourself skinning up hardpack snow, or over a few inches across Scottish heathland Vs breaking trail in the forest after a typical Euro dump then there's a bit of a difference Laughing

What has being Scottish got to do with it?
Or do you think us peasants never visit the Alps Laughing

Fwiw : your average alpine skin track far faster than the variable conditions more likely encountered here.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
WeatherCam wrote:

Exhibit A Laughing

latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
An interesting thread to read given plans to GUFF/alternative.

Fairly sure I could drop 0.5kg by swapping shifts to lighter bindings, but equally still have another 5 (more like 10 but no way will that happen before ski trip) KG that should be easily losable around the waist, which should probably be the first goal.

I can spend £300+ on new bindings + quiver killers (though I suspect I might then be better served by adding a true dedicated touring ski to quiver (*eyes @Weathercam's suggestion from other threads that they have skis to sell) or ~£100 on trainer/fitness classes + far too much sweat to be both lighter and fitter (with advantages to more than skiing)
latest report
First post so take it easy on me Wink. I'm also interested in weight saving equipment. Now that I'm 61 and still enjoy moguls, I'm finding my old Nordica HotRods too heavy to swing around in moguls. So I bought the Ripstick 88's and shaved about 1 1/4 pounds, not sure if that's a lot but does feel lighter. Won't be using them till next season though. Don't know if I made a mistake or not with the Tyrolia attack 14 bindings but that's what I went with, always 2nd guessing myself. Next thing will be lighter boots but that won't be for a year or two. I would also like to add, it's not just the skis, but everything matters, clothing, what you put in your pockets, helmet, gloves etc.

I agree with others who mentioned losing weight and getting fit. At 5'5" I dropped 25 pounds and strengthened my legs and cardio quite a bit. Nothing has helper more. And there's other health benefits besides skiing. So now I pay attention to weight no matter what I buy, if I don't feel like I'm losing any performance and I just have to pay a bit more, I go light. Right now I'm looking at helmets, even if I just save a few ounces, it becomes part of the decision making process. I'll probably be posting for help with lighter ski boots when the times comes.
snow conditions
Once again I'm both fascinated and amused by some of the uphill times that folk discuss on threads of this type.
The op has asked where to cut weight in his touring set up. I will assume he feels he ain't fast enough uphill! We should all be up there for fun, scenery, fresh air, great snow (hopefully) great cardio workout and great company.
For what it's worth my last SAC day tour overall was 365m/HR with a best section at 398m/HR.
If it's me and the Mrs we "stroll" along at circa 260m/HR, yes that does feel slow but.....you still get to the top.
snow report
I should have mentioned, Unlike the O.P I'm not doing any uphill/touring at all. I'm looking at weight saving gear to improve performance and reduce fatigue, I still ski long days from 9-4. I assume most people who don't pay attention to weight are still young and strong, I know I never cared in the least until the last year or two.
snow conditions
@my poor knees, I just got
A great set up for long varied resort skiing with some short lift served tours thrown in
Atomic backland 100 / shift binding … so light but with no compromise in performance, come in at a smidge over 2kg paired with a fischer ranger boot they rock !! Definitely helps with fatigue
ski holidays
Quote:
The reason I'm thinking about pace is there's a good chance I'll be signing up to join group trips in the future so just trying to get an idea.
We've done 2 or 3 guided trips with UK-based companies. These usually require an uphill climbing speed of 3-400m per hour. Private guides we've booked have been happy with that rate too.

We're kicking on a bit in terms of age and certainly wouldn't entertain booking any tour that required what I deem to be a Patrouille des Glaciers-esque wink 600m an hour...
snow report
We used to do a lot with ISM (International School Mountaineering) @mountainaddict, there requirement/ expectation was clients could sustain 300m per HR.
From memory this was rarely achieved as the moment any kick turns were encountered the time quickly slips away.
snow conditions
It's always funny to see really big boys bulging out of the lycra, on bikes which look like they spent heavily to save a few kilograms.
ski holidays
@my poor knees, hmmm, I don't think ski weight is actually an issue - they are on the groundband 1-200 g here or there is very marginal, technique may be?
ski holidays
Don't know if ski weight is my issue or technique but i don't think I had the right ski for my type of skiing. I'll see next year when I try the ripsticks. But no matter what equipment you have, older legs aren't as strong as younger legs so you start trying different things. Technique, of course, leg exercise, of course, equipment, yep, so I'll keep trying.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy