Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria in Crisis... Lockdown... Ski Season in doubt..

Poster: A snowHead
@michaelbury17, don't go then
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
michaelbury17 wrote:
backhojo wrote:
. from St anton tourist office : "Despite the already available PCR gargle tests (throat flush tests) offered in Spar and M-Preis branches, we have decided to ensure a further test option for PCR and antigen tests and thus expand the test capacities in our location. Therefore, from Friday, December 17th, 2021, a test centre will be set up in the Arlbergsaal , which will be operated by the Arlberg pharmacy. With this test centre we want to make testing as easy, quick and uncomplicated as possible for our guests, employees and locals.

The test centre is initially open daily from 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Any changes will be announced. Parking spaces are available directly at the Arlbergsaal. Basically, availabilities are set up in such a way that testing (PCR & antigen test) should be possible without registration or long waiting times. The antigen and PCR tests are free of charge for people who have an Austrian social security number. It is important that the person to be tested must present ID and an e-card (social security number) during the test.

For people who don't hold an Austrian social security number, the costs are as follows: Antigen test EUR 35 and PCR test EUR 65. Please note that only card payments are accepted at the Test Centre. PCR test results are available within maximum 24 hours.

Please note that this information is current and subject to change."

Great news, yet the cost of these tests are totally exorbitant , the rich are cashing in yet again...disgusting state of affairs...jobs for the boys, school tie and on it goes...we are the lambs to slaughter rolling eyes rolling eyes

I paid £99 for a pcr test in London a couple of weeks ago. It was all i could book at the last minute. Considering they've a pretty much captive market €65 doesn't sound too bad.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@rogg Seems extremely fair to me. PCR test here in Finland are over 250€ from private sector. The outlier that I found was 93€ from Finnair but that was only from Helsinki airport.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Standby for a new Austrian (5th) Lockdown in January ..
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stanton wrote:
Standby for a new Austrian (5th) Lockdown in January ..

I think most of Europe will be in lockdown in January
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
So perhaps I am missing something, what was the point in spending billions on a vaccine that doesn't stop you contracting Covid and m Puzzled ore pertinently no country accepts it as a means of control
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The ten's of thousands that didn't die after catching it for a start....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@michaelbury17 You are missing something.

When a vaccine's developed there's no way in advance of knowing how effective it will be against serious (life threatening) disease, contracting the virus and lastly transmission. All these things emerge after double blind peer reviewed testing. Many medicines are developed that don't pass these clinical trials and don't go on to get a license for use. Vaccines all have different effectiveness from each other % wise but > 70% against severe disease is seen as a useful tool at a population level.

These vaccines are stopping huge numbers of people from getting seriously ill and or dying. You can't from the offset "design" them to stop contraction and therefore allow free movement. Ideally that would happen but it hasn't with these vaccines.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Initially had a holiday booked for the 1st week of January in France, which has obviously been cancelled. Thinking about rebooking Austria, is it pointless? What's the feeling in Austria, is there another lockdown looming?

Thanks
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My feeling is Austria will have another lockdown but probably not till February.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tomb wrote:
Initially had a holiday booked for the 1st week of January in France, which has obviously been cancelled. Thinking about rebooking Austria, is it pointless? What's the feeling in Austria, is there another lockdown looming?

Thanks

Wait last minute & roll whatever can be cobbled together.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
tomb wrote:

Thanks

It will be interesting to see what’s being said in the media tomorrow. Today, the infection rates still show a decline, though the rate of decline has slowed. The run up to, and post Christmas picture is likely to provide the best indicator for any future lockdown likelihood. Then New Year, of course. If the numbers show a steep incline (given that hospital admissions then also go up a couple of weeks later), my guess is that a lockdown is more likely in January - maybe from week 2, for two or three weeks, with the hope that the remainder of the (busier) season can go ahead. But who knows.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
MHskier wrote:
@michaelbury17 You are missing something.

When a vaccine's developed there's no way in advance of knowing how effective it will be against serious (life threatening) disease, contracting the virus and lastly transmission. All these things emerge after double blind peer reviewed testing. Many medicines are developed that don't pass these clinical trials and don't go on to get a license for use. Vaccines all have different effectiveness from each other % wise but > 70% against severe disease is seen as a useful tool at a population level.

These vaccines are stopping huge numbers of people from getting seriously ill and or dying. You can't from the offset "design" them to stop contraction and therefore allow free movement. Ideally that would happen but it hasn't with these vaccines.

Whilst I hear what you are saying, this is contrary to what we've been fed over the last 20 months or so by 'the experts'

I would suggest that Messrs Johnson, Whitty & co have all since day one told us that having the vaccine would slow down the spreading of the disease, help prevent it spreading...

They forgot to add the caveat of further different strains...and how much money has been pumped into the vaccine, track & trace & hear we are on the b brink of what could be another world wide lock down....you couldn't make it up!

Clearly they haven't got a clue & continue to stumble from disaster to disaster, God help us!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Afternoon all, new to this forum but thought I'd join in as (right now at least), we have Kaprun lined up for the 27th.

Ordinarily, I'd be thinking about important things like: there's no snow forecast for the next week, will it be a bit bare or icy up there (glacier aside), and will the 13/14 be skiable in Zell. But obviously there's a bigger elephant in the room...

So just to draw your attention to the austria.info site, that explicitly states that boosters are recognised immediately - as long as they're on your NHS app. Very helpful in our case, one less PCR to pay for.

If anyone is out there right now, I'd be interested in first impressions - eg:

- is it quieter than usual (webcams suggest it is...)

- are they really checking passes a lot on the slopes? I'd have thought once you get past the talstations at the bottom, what's the point?

- is it all table service now at the restaurants for lunch or is there still self serve? Is there more spacing going on there - it has always been challenging to find free tables in NY week!

- I read that apres ski bars are still shut (along with nightclubs) until January - does that mean the pilsbars on the slopes (the ones with a circus style retractable roof) are also shut?

Basically any observations welcome... assuming we get out there it would be helpful to know what to expect... I'm cautiously optimistic that the recent lockdown plus new PCR requirements are a signal that Austria really doesn't want to kill the season just yet... but who knows...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ratechaser, can I direct you here: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=153006
snow report
Thanks Scarlet
latest report
michaelbury17 wrote:
Whilst I hear what you are saying, this is contrary to what we've been fed over the last 20 months or so by 'the experts' ... Clearly they haven't got a clue & continue to stumble from disaster to disaster, God
... help us!

I watched most of the experts' TV briefings, and concluded that they understand the situation pretty well. They've all been involved in epidemics elsewhere and have wide experience of how these things run. They all are highly trained and experienced in their field. Everything they've said has been consistent.

What's also been consistent is the over-simplification of issues in the media and its tendency to gross hyperbole over good and bad news; the media's and some people's inability to handle having to wait many weeks for predicted effects to work their way through the system; an unwillingness by some to accept the necessity to plan for negative outcomes while we're waiting; and the reprehensible attacks on scientists by CRG Zealots who are unrepresentative of the majority of sensible and responsible citizens.
snow report
@LaForet, well said!
snow conditions
Cacciatore wrote:
@LaForet, well said!
+1, well said in every detail.
ski holidays
Potential 10 day quarantine for arrivals from uk being reported by several newspapers…could be in place by Friday…below taken from the telegraph.

UK skiers could face a 10-day quarantine on arrival in Austria as soon as Friday due to fears over the spread of the omicron variant, local newspapers have reported.

The Kronen Zeitung reported the Austrian government is looking to “classify Great Britain, Norway, Denmark and the Netherlands as virus variant areas”, which would effectively ban holidays to the country this winter.

A confirmation from the Austrian Ministry of Health is said to be pending.

Fears surrounding imported cases of the omicron variant have ramped up in Austria in recent days, with Covid scientist Ulrich Elling criticising the lack of restrictions on British flights and estimating that 15 UK passengers infected with the virus are arriving in Austria each day.

The news is yet another blow to skiers who have already been banned from travelling to France until at least January. Though Austria was under full lockdown measures until last week, most ski resorts have since reopened and hopes were high that the season could go ahead without further disruption.
snow report
Folks

Its all for Many tourists from multiple European Nations (major)

To difficult to explain but will involve compulsory quarantine

Quite an extensive list ..

The next month or starting from 24th Dec ..

Annoucment tomorrow.

Could be the final countdown for many business. Although Austria does provide substantial support for its citizens ...

Check your flights !
snow report
In conjunction with £:Euro parity, could be nasty Very Happy
ski holidays
That knocks Austria on the head for no as well ... 10 Qtn
snow report
ratechaser wrote:
Afternoon all, new to this forum but thought I'd join in as (right now at least), we have Kaprun lined up for the 27th.

Ordinarily, I'd be thinking about important things like: there's no snow forecast for the next week, will it be a bit bare or icy up there (glacier aside), and will the 13/14 be skiable in Zell. But obviously there's a bigger elephant in the room...

So just to draw your attention to the austria.info site, that explicitly states that boosters are recognised immediately - as long as they're on your NHS app. Very helpful in our case, one less PCR to pay for.

- are they really checking passes a lot on the slopes? I'd have thought once you get past the talstations at the bottom, what's the point?

- is it all table service now at the restaurants for lunch or is there still self serve? Is there more spacing going on there - it has always been challenging to find free tables in NY week!

- I read that apres ski bars are still shut (along with nightclubs) until January - does that mean the pilsbars on the slopes (the ones with a circus style retractable roof) are also shut?

Basically any observations welcome... assuming we get out there it would be helpful to know what to expect... I'm cautiously optimistic that the recent lockdown plus new PCR requirements are a signal that Austria really doesn't want to kill the season just yet... but who knows...

Hi, we are in Hochkonig having arrived on 18th. Slopes are incredibly quiet though I do recall them being very quiet the same week 7 years ago when Christmas day fell on a Saturday. Not sure how much of quietness is due to Covid versus the way Christmas day has fallen. We will know for sure next week when traditionally New Year crowds are much bigger.

With regards to your specific points

- Our lift pass is linked to our fully vaccinated status. We have had one instance where the pass failed to work (for all 4 of us and others). This triggered a manual Covid check so always have your vaccine proof to hand.

- Every cafe we have been in has asked to see proof of our vaccinated status. We also have to register into many cafes via a QR code.

- We have been past a few of the circus tent type bars you mention and they have all been closed.

- Not seen any self service restaurants about really everything we have been to has been table service. We have been the only family in cafes on more than one occasion.

Overall impression is that it is a fair bit quieter than usual which is great on the slopes but worrying for the local businesses. There is no real apres ski buzz that you would normally find when finishing the last run of the day. If the main focus of your holiday is the skiing everything is fine but if apres ski plays a big part in your holiday you may need to adjust your expectations.

Hope you get out here and have a great time whatever type if holiday it turns out to be
snow conditions
@dking2001, Looks like you got in just in time !
ski holidays
eblunt wrote:
@dking2001, Looks like you got in just in time !

Too true. Especially as we flew into Munich.
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
@michaelbury17, don't go then

Don't get the aggressive attitude , all I am doing is expressing my opinion, clearly not aligned with yours!
ski holidays
@michaelbury17, not aggressive at all, a suggestion only that would solve your issues with testing. It's not obligatory to line the pockets of the rich
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
With Austria pushing compulsory vaccinations & how they changed rules so its easier for the boosted vaccinated.
I wonder if boosted & vaccinated carry on being exempt but maybe with a negative PCR.
ski holidays
The money being made by some of those firms makes me ill too but @holidayloverxx is right. The only way to avoid paying them is not to go. Applies to us all. Not aggressive to point that out.
snow conditions
Austria might change

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/travel/austria-travel-could-ban-uk-visitors-omicron-covid-winter-holiday-1364031
ski holidays
Not quite true. @michaelbury17 was complaining (rightly, imo) about extortionate private testing costs in St Anton. To avoid this, he could use the free tests available in the Spar, in the centre of the village.
latest report
michaelbury17 wrote:

I would suggest that Messrs Johnson, Whitty & co have all since day one told us that having the vaccine would slow down the spreading of the disease, help prevent it spreading...

They forgot to add the caveat of further different strains...and how much money has been pumped into the vaccine, track & trace & hear we are on the b brink of what could be another world wide lock down....you couldn't make it up!

Clearly they haven't got a clue & continue to stumble from disaster to disaster, God help us!

- I consistently heard a message that Variants, to which the vaccine would be less effective, were a distinct possibility. It's one reason I was taking a "wait and see" approach for a ski holiday.

- I heard variants were likely to come from countries with low vaccination rates/high infection rates....which is why "Nobody is safe until everyone is safe" and we need to gets vaccines rolled out worldwide.

- I heard concerns from other scientists, that England was putting too many eggs in one basket, on their heavy reliance on Vaccines/Boosters, which could come unstuck if take up dropped, or a new Variant appeared.

- I understood, that Vaccines were likely to still be effective in protecting against serious hospitalisation if the virus mutated.....and that appears to be the case.

- I also understood, that mutations were likely to make Covid more infectious, but milder - and bespoke vaccines would likely be needed.

I do agree however, that there has been a lot of incompetence shown by the Govt, who have consistently acted late, shown poor leadership and given mixed messaging.
snow report
Old Fartbag wrote:
I do agree however, that there has been a lot of incompetence shown by the Govt's, who have consistently acted late, shown poor leadership and given mixed messaging.

FIFY It's not only the UK Govt, they certainly don't have a monopoly on these things. Despite a vaccine rate of only 70% or so for first shots the Austrian Chancellor declared the pandemic over in the summer!
snow conditions
dking2001 wrote:
ratechaser wrote:

Hi, we are in Hochkonig having arrived on 18th. Slopes are incredibly quiet though I do recall them being very quiet the same week 7 years ago when Christmas day fell on a Saturday. Not sure how much of quietness is due to Covid versus the way Christmas day has fallen. We will know for sure next week when traditionally New Year crowds are much bigger.

With regards to your specific points

- Our lift pass is linked to our fully vaccinated status. We have had one instance where the pass failed to work (for all 4 of us and others). This triggered a manual Covid check so always have your vaccine proof to hand.

- Every cafe we have been in has asked to see proof of our vaccinated status. We also have to register into many cafes via a QR code.

- We have been past a few of the circus tent type bars you mention and they have all been closed.

- Not seen any self service restaurants about really everything we have been to has been table service. We have been the only family in cafes on more than one occasion.

Overall impression is that it is a fair bit quieter than usual which is great on the slopes but worrying for the local businesses. There is no real apres ski buzz that you would normally find when finishing the last run of the day. If the main focus of your holiday is the skiing everything is fine but if apres ski plays a big part in your holiday you may need to adjust your expectations.

Hope you get out here and have a great time whatever type if holiday it turns out to be

Thanks for the detailed reply, that's very helpful. Unfortunately it may end up being moot if there is a ban announced today (although I'm clinging to the hope it's not a done deal just yet), but there's nothing you said that has put me off going - yes a bit more apres would be nice, given our kids are older now, but they are ski purists at heart and just want to get on the slopes!

Fingers crossed... Confused
snow report
Quote:

Thanks for the detailed reply, that's very helpful. Unfortunately it may end up being moot if there is a ban announced today (although I'm clinging to the hope it's not a done deal just yet), but there's nothing you said that has put me off going - yes a bit more apres would be nice, given our kids are older now, but they are ski purists at heart and just want to get on the slopes!

Even if it's not a done deal yet - and I am hoping so too, is there going to be a problem coming home? If the UK is added to the naughty list, won't all direct flights from the UK get banned (I believe this is what happens, not just UK passengers) - which could cause travel chaos returning home if they change the rules whilst on the slopes.

Austrian Department of Health:

Quote:
Staaten und Gebiete mit einem hohen Auftreten von Virusvarianten sind in der Anlage 1 gelistet. Generell gilt aus Ihnen ein Einreiseverbot nach Österreich mit nur wenigen Ausnahmen.

Zu diesen Staaten und Gebieten gehören derzeit Angola, Botsuana, Eswatini, Lesotho, Malawi, Mosambik, Namibia, Sambia, Simbabwe, Südafrika.

Zusätzlich wird ein Landeverbot für Flüge aus diesen Ländern verhängt.

https://www.sozialministerium.at/Informationen-zum-Coronavirus/Coronavirus---Haeufig-gestellte-Fragen/FAQ-Einreise-nach-Oesterreich.html

The bit in bold: "In addition, a landing ban is imposed for flights from these countries"

I have a room with parking booked at Heathrow tomorrow night and flights leaving on Christmas eve with a hire car waiting. My flat in Austria has fallen through as the family I was going with have pulled out - I had considered pulling out as well but decided to go anyway - who knows if things will be any better in the spring? I very nearly spend many thousands of allegedly non-refundable €€€€€ yesterday on a hotel spanning both Christmas and the New Year. Am glad I didn't - I think I won't be booking anything now until I'm on board the aeroplane. If I go at all - I can refund for nothing up until midnight today.

Miserable first post from me.
snow conditions
@@SYL, New restrictions come in from 25 December. See the other thread for more information https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=153006&start=5680

Extract from the TT Live Blog (google translated):
The most important news from the press conference. In view of the impending wave of Omikron, Austria is again tightening the Corona rules.

▶ ️ The most important points:

No New Year's Eve parties, curfew brought forward to 10 p.m.: After the Christmas holidays, i.e. from December 27th, the curfew in restaurants will be brought forward to 10 p.m. This means that there will be no toggles for New Year's Eve in restaurants.
Restrictions for events: The maximum number of participants for events is limited to 2000, including with conditions. In future, only 25 people should be able to attend meetings without assigned seats. With allocated places, 500 people can come together if 2G applies, 1000 for 2G plus test and 2000 for third stitch plus test. To do this, a mask will have to be put on.

Entry & virus variant areas: When entering, tourism is a little bit easier. Great Britain, Norway, Denmark and the Netherlands will be declared virus variant areas with effect from December 25, which would mean mandatory quarantine. However, those who have been vaccinated three times with a valid PCR test are excluded from this.

▶ ️ For the first time, the new measures were no longer announced by the government , which met together with the state governors , but by the Director General for Public Health, Katharina Reich , who heads the new Gecko advisory body . As she emphasized in a press statement, the group's proposals were unanimously accepted by the federal and state governments.
snow report
stanton wrote:

To difficult to explain but will involve compulsory quarantine

Quite an extensive list ..

I see Shaman Stanton is channeling Mystic Meg's spirits.
snow conditions
Anyone know rules on kids age 13,14
For Austria under new announcement single jabbed and proof recovery - NHS e mail and doc letter

Can they get in with negative pcr?
Adults are both booster jabbed
snow conditions
Anyone seen any good package deals to Austria? Literally just had my booster but can't seem to find a single holiday for the 1st week of Jan!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy