Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Covid rules by country.

Poster: A snowHead
Morning everyone.

I appreciate that it’s an ever changing picture but is anyone aware of a one-stop site where all the Covid rules per country can be seen? I am looking at booking a week first week in Jan somewhere. A key point for me is stress free with Covid hoops as can be. I just want a weeks skiing where I can almost forget about it all. I’ve found it hard going mentally to be honest hence why I want a break from it as best I can.

I’m not sure how the rules are being applied in resorts also. Are lifts being considered public transport and therefore masks required etc? I could understand a cabin but a chair in the open? That kind of thing.

Failing that, any input that might help me pick a resort, operator to go with etc would be very much appreciated. Travel would be 1st Jan by the way. Has to be then, single dad and my lad is with his mum that week!

I’m sure I’m not alone with this type of question. It’s minefield trying to work out what’s going on. Maybe it’s a sign saying leave it for next year! Lol.

Cheers.

Boof.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 14-10-21 13:57; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The rules have not yet been set just yet in many cases (e.g. here in Switzerland), so you may have to wait awhile. Assuming you’re vaccinated though, you'll probably be ok wherever you go.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Boofont, unless there is a big change due to some completely unexpected happening, if you are fully vaccinated then there is not much of an issue. See https://reopen.europa.eu/en/ for info on entry requirements for each EU/EEA country. There are a couple of exceptions where you need a pre arrival test, eg Italy, but in most cases for travel from the UK, a vaccination certificate is all that is needed.

Most countries now have some sort of requirement for a "green pass" (ie proof of vaccinated or recent test) for entry to bars & restaurants. This is currently a bit of a pain for those with UK vaccination certs as mutual recognition of the NHS & EU certs has not yet been sorted (supposedly by the end of the month) but should be OK (France works already) by the time the snow starts falling. There are issues with 12 -18 year olds but by the sound of it these wont affect your trip.

Rules for using ski lifts are unclear at this moment, clearly masks are currently planned for enclosed lifts in most places, maybe you will need your "green pass" to buy a lift pass but as you will need this anyway it is not a big deal.

There is no reason not to plan on going skiing, probably more of an issue to find a place with availability at a place you like over New Year.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm also interested in the hive mind re what is acceptable as an antigen test. I haven't travelled outside UK since Covid so have let the various cowboy testing ops pass me by. If US opens up I understand I will require an antigen test to travel. I assume an NHS lateral flow is inadequate here but a paid for lateral flow done day before travel will work even though it is exactly the same thing? Is that correct?

Seems a nice little scam for the testing companies given if necessary I could do a LFT in front of a check-in agent?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
I'm also interested in the hive mind re what is acceptable as an antigen test. I haven't travelled outside UK since Covid so have let the various cowboy testing ops pass me by. If US opens up I understand I will require an antigen test to travel. I assume an NHS lateral flow is inadequate here but a paid for lateral flow done day before travel will work even though it is exactly the same thing? Is that correct?

Seems a nice little scam for the testing companies given if necessary I could do a LFT in front of a check-in agent?

I think it's because you need to be issued with a certificate to show the test was negative. I've got about 100 LFTs downstairs, and it does rankle that they can't be used.

The cheapest I've found is about £25, which isn't too bad when you add it to the price of the trip. You do need to make sure that each particular test is acceptable for the country you are visiting though, as some require very particular accuracy specifications.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
HM Govt website would be a good bet
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the comments.

Looked at a few of the sites given. Of course you can work out what's needed if you spend some time reading through it all, and I can obviously do that. Perhaps a little optimistically thinking, I was hoping there might be some more ski related information out there, i.e., France you need to do xyz, Austria xyz, Andorra xyz etc etc.

I'd be very keen to hear some real world experiences from any of you that have recently travelled or live abroad etc.

I'm double jabbed by the way. Got a 5G chip in me, tin hat and everything else! lol

Thanks once again for the input which I really appreciate.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Boofont, IMHO I would not trust any website that is not controlled by the government of the country you are travelling to. Earlier on this year I travelled to France and the number of errors you could spot in non-official websites and articles was alarming.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Matt1959, Good point. Just trying to navigate through a minefield. I can see me leaving it for a year. Lol
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anyone know if France (and the Eurostar) require a specific mask to be worn? I know the Austrian ski resorts require specific masks, but I can't find anything for France.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Timmycb5 wrote:
Anyone know if France (and the Eurostar) require a specific mask to be worn? I know the Austrian ski resorts require specific masks, but I can't find anything for France.

No...if you are wearing a mask you are good to go. Many french are failing at the "any will do" stage of things....Eurostar may be a little strickter, but non specific
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Timmycb5, for flights to/from France you must wear a single use medical grade mask, fabric ones aren't accepted. Not sure about Eurostar but as it's govt legislation for flights I suspect it may apply there to.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The vaccine issue I’m thinking about is travelling with my teenage kids.

UK policy is to offer only 1 dose of the vaccine to young people aged 12-17.

As far as I can see EU countries and CH require both doses of the Pfizer vaccine + 14 days to allow entry with no period of quarantine. 1 dose only for teenagers means they don’t count as vaccinated.

Under 12s with a vaccinated parent will be OK - no quarantine required for them. But there is no way for 12-17 year olds to count as vaccinated.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Android2000, where are you getting this info from.

As I posted on another thread

Switzerland is currently a go

“Entering with children

If you are entering Switzerland with children or adolescents, please note the following:

Children under the age of 16 are never required to provide proof of a negative coronavirus test on entering Switzerland. They are exempt from the test requirement on entry and the test requirement within 4-7 days of arrival.”

https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/empfehlungen-fuer-reisende/quarantaene-einreisende.html

Also on UK government website

Unvaccinated children and adolescents arriving from the UK under the age of 18 are allowed to enter Switzerland and are accompanied by fully vaccinated adults.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/switzerland/entry-requirements
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ster, Keep an eye on the Swiss news. Entry to the country is one thing. Skiing is another. Ski areas are currently debating with the Federal Council what the rules will be, the most popular being 3G - vaccinated, recovered or tested. The upside of this would be that all other restrictions are abandoned, so no masks in queues or on chairlifts, or in restaurants. There should be news on this in the next few weeks.
snow report
@telford_mike, as far as I made out, @Android2000, was referring to the current rules for travel and not what might happen or might not happen in regard to skiing. These are the current rules for travel, and they if course (as well as rules for skiing) may or may not change.
ski holidays
Android2000 wrote:
The vaccine issue I’m thinking about is travelling with my teenage kids.

UK policy is to offer only 1 dose of the vaccine to young people aged 12-17.

As far as I can see EU countries and CH require both doses of the Pfizer vaccine + 14 days to allow entry with no period of quarantine. 1 dose only for teenagers means they don’t count as vaccinated.

Under 12s with a vaccinated parent will be OK - no quarantine required for them. But there is no way for 12-17 year olds to count as vaccinated.

Yes, this is an issue. I’m hoping to take my son in April. UK policy is not helping. Annoying that we have to be different.
latest report
I don't think the main problem is getting 12-17s into the country-it is more about how they will be treated if not double jabbed once they are there.
I just wish HMG would let people have the choice of double jabs for teenage children (not mandate them) and then we can all decide what we would like to do from a full range of options.
On the other hand, it may well be that these vaccine passport schemes are temporary just to get through this winter. Doesn't help for this ski season though of course....
latest report
@snowhound, I had the same thoughts ref having the choice. Regarding your comment about the schemes being temporary, I wish I believed that but my feeling is things will creep the other way and get worse. I only found out today about the “green pass” in Italy which is required for any job. But anyway, perhaps not the place to get going on Covid in that sense.
ski holidays
@Boofont, Yep, the public health and safety ratchet tends to turn only one way. Still lots of covid theatre going on which makes minimal difference, if any.
I am hoping that once tens of millions of US and EU teenagers are safely double jabbed, that might at least provide the necessary evidence for the UK to follow. It would seem an obvious route but an evidence based (rather than politically driven) approach would be a nice change.
snow report
A bit of a tangent on this thread (sorry), but if we're spending a few days in Switzerland flying in from the UK (all vaccinated bar U16 y/o) and then going on to France, do we need to present a -PCR for the U16 y/o when travelling over the boarder from the Swiss side of Geneva to France?
snow report
@beenative, We're doing something similar, flying to Geneva then self driving over to French Alps. All I've read is that there are no border checks between France and Switzerland and no test needed for kids travelling to Switzerland with parents. Worth noting that if you travel directly to France, vax parents need no test but U18s only need LFT not PCR, if done within certain time of arrival.
snow conditions
Thanks @snowhound, that's pretty much how I read it. We could do a LFT via Zoom in Switzerland if needed to cross over before hand, also imagine the rules are going to change somewhat between now, see how it pans out I guess
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy