Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sacking the rat race for the powder

Poster: A snowHead
An old acquaintance of mine did several seasons in Canada living out of Canmore. He and a few others rented a big house there pretty cheap and had a steady rotation of long stay friends and visitors throughout the season. Between them they bought an old van and followed the conditions around the Alberta resorts, and the drivable BC resorts, like Kicking Horse, and I think they made it over to Fernie and that area for a week or two living in the van.

** Warning ** The guy was an architect and had a successful practice in the UK so could fund himself independently. He'd intended to do a season then come back to continue working... He ended up saying "Stuff that" and sold up all his kit and bought a motorbike at the end of the season, rode down to Baja Mexico and spent the summer fixing jet skis and motorbikes down there. I last heard that he'd sold the practice up and was 'living the lifestyle' of Mexico summers, Canadian winters, snowboarding, surfing and fixing snowmobiles and motorbikes...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
it appears that what really matches their spec is doing a season (or 90 days post Brexit) somewhere in Europe.

I'm pretty sure that the 90 days thing won't last long term, particularly once Merkel's replacement has got their feet under the desk and especially if Macron loses the next election. I'd be amazed if there isn't some equivalent of a reciprocal BUNAC type visa for under 30s/35s agreed between the EU/UK within a couple of years (which would work for the OP) and then a gentle easing of other time limits afterwards. We just have to wait for the EU to get over the sulking phase and enter the rational one.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hmm UK Gov acting rationally..... yep every day will be a powder day!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I did similar in 2020 before the pandemic brought it to a close - I ended up choosing Chamonix, as I like having amenities of a decent sized town, wanted to build on my mountaineering skills, and wanted to stay in Europe for family reasons.

I saved up enough to take sabbatical from work for 4 months, and not work. My employer would allow me do this, and keep my job. Very handy way of doing it! Got to ski as much as my body would allow me, without having to worry about losing powder days to work.

Cost wise - Can't remember off the top of my head, but for my husband I, we rented a nice 1 bed flat within walking distance to town for the season (5 mo lease start Dec-end May) for approx 7k euro, lift passes were ballpark 1k each depending on how early bird you buy them. Cost of living (groceries, petrol, eating drinking out) was similar to Dublin where I'm from (i.e. expensive). We drove so travel costs were ferry/chunnel/petrol. We had all our own ski gear, but ended up investing in more mountaineering and glacier kit that is needed for that kind of terrain, so that was a bit expensive. We also spend money on a few courses with guides - avalanche safety, crevasse rescue etc, definitely worth spending on that.

The pros and cons of Chamonix have been long discussed on this forum and beyond, and I generally agree -
pros: the BIG mountains; loads of like minded people to meet off piste/ski touring/mountaineering buddies and develop skills; access to the italian side, megeve, verbier etc; reasonably short drive from loads of touring in switzerland and italy.
cons - terrible infrastructure, disconnected lifts, buses always full, lifts shut on windy/powder days; anything accessible gets tracked out fast; air pollution; best to have a car to make the most of the access to other valleys/terrible buses

I've also lived in Whistler, which was amazing and a totally different vibe - lots of lift accessed powder runs; party town; expensive. Maybe a bit like a North American Verbier?? But its not like Europe in that if you are bored with Whistler or the conditions are bad, you can't explore somewhere else kind nearby for a day or two - there is no nearby!

If I was going again I would consider:
1. I'm not done with Chamonix, ski mountaineering season was just about to start when I had to bail in March 2020
2. Italy, maybe Aosta valley: same big mountains, lovely friendly people, coffee + pizza, less hectic. Different storm cycle though as its on the south side, but still would have access to Cham if the southern storms were poor.
3. Austria - I love skiing in Austria because it doesn't feel like an elite sport, its embedded in the culture, its relatively affordable. Mountains and resorts are smaller though which is why I eventually chose Chamonix. I'd like to live somewhere like Innsbruck more long-term, as its not a ski town, but surrounded by ski mountains. I think for just a season, it would have to be St Anton area, for that optimal balance of great mountains/good infrastructure/not too small
3. Revelstoke, or generally back to somewhere in BC. I'd be more interested now in exploring outside the resorts, and Revelstoke's got a great reputation for backcountry/powder skiing. Would prob have to buy a car.
4. Japan - I dunno if I'd do a full season in Japan personally, but its high up on my list to visit for a few weeks. I've been in summer and the culture is amazing, to combine that with their powder would be amazing.
5. Switzerland - I mean money is the real problem here. If that wasn't the case, it could be near the top of my list. Personally hate Verbier as a town/culture (the skiing is great), so I'd base myself somewhere maybe near Andermatt/Engelberg/Dissentis, but really I can't say I know it well.

No matter where you choose it will be an amazing experience!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks to all for the input, really appreciated.

My knowledge of skiing in NA is super limited and I hadn't quite grasped that resorts over there are (for the most part) much smaller. We were never dead set on it being NA or Europe; NA is new and exciting for us and Europe had Brexit complications which was the basis of thinking NA might be better. Either way, the thread has given us quite a lot to think about in terms of where we would prefer to settle for the season, or at least a few months of it anyway.

@BobinCH, @Dave; I think you're both probably right; Europe seems a better fit for what we're looking for and I don't think that's a bad thing. Hell we can always do another season in NA later down the line.

@alice8217 thanks for the information - I hadn't really thought much about Chamonix but I'll add that to the list for research.

I suppose wherever we end up will be great and choosing between a season in the Alps or NA you can't really go wrong!

I'll come back to the forum in 2 years with an update - I'm sure you'll all be anxiously waiting Wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I've done seasons in the US and Canada not because it was cheaper than Europe (or necessarily better) but because I like the freedom to ski anywhere on the hill on my own without worrying too much about Avi risk and because it's different (and I have the rest of my life to ski in Europe - Brexshit permitting)

@Dave of the Marmottes, where did you do seasons in North America? I also do a lot of off piste on my own - have had a couple of hairy moments in the French Alps - and I like the idea of doing that in NA, but I think I would miss the more dramatic scenery (and steepness!) of the Alps. The only place I have skied in NA was Revelstoke, which I know people rave about, but I was not massively impressed - far prefer the steeps of Verbier/Espace Killy.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just a word of warning - me and my now husband did that in 2011 and by 2014 we moved full time to the alps. Prepare to never be satisfied with home again snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SB5ive wrote:
......Me and my better half are slowly getting tired of the rat race in London and have agreed that a Ski season would make the perfect career break.....where would be best for two seasonnaires (in late twenties) who would like to ski as much as possible......

FFS you've only been working for a few years! Feckin' millenials! wink Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spyderjon wrote:
SB5ive wrote:
......Me and my better half are slowly getting tired of the rat race in London and have agreed that a Ski season would make the perfect career break.....where would be best for two seasonnaires (in late twenties) who would like to ski as much as possible......

Never too early for a skibattical. You need some hopeto keep your spirit alive during pointless conference calls and passive aggressive office politics.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I wonder about motivation. For us when we traveled we got jobs and that was a good way of meeting people and learning about working in Canada, where we now live. If you love city life and just want three months of fun I recon anywhere would be great.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Just a word of warning - me and my now husband did that in 2011 and by 2014 we moved full time to the alps. Prepare to never be satisfied with home again snowHead snowHead

+1
And also if you do end up doing your season in Canada, that's why not to extend into the summer (though in our case, the first season we picked a bad winter and summer was in winter!) wink - "come for the winter, stay for the summer" and all that
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spyderjon wrote:
SB5ive wrote:

Madeye-Smiley
Funny, someone said that to me when we upped and went skiing!
Said I should save the money, retire early, and go skiing then. Now I'm getting on a bit... getting an X-ray on my knees, MRI on my back, drink a couple of pints and fall asleep... wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Listening to what you've said I think you need a good all rounder which will provide you with the variety to keep you interested along with the off piste terrain to advance your skills.
I'd say go for somewhere snowsure, somewhere with a decent community, somewhere with good infrastructure, culture and beauty as this could be the best few months of your lives.
I've been to N America and the ski experience just is not the same as Europe. Connectivity isn't as good imo and the resorts are not as expansive. People may debate this, it's just my opinion, but regardless, N. America is simply different and so is a risk and may not be what you expect based on European experience.
I'd opt for a satellite village near to La Plagne or Courchevel. I think La Tania or Le Praz would be ideal. E.g. many of the local instructors and staff live in Le Praz, it's in the three valleys and is well connected both by bus (v reliably) and ski lift.
You will not be short of off piste challenge. Get to know the locals (or expat locals) and you'll easily find people to go with and who know where to go (fun and safe).
Of course this option would limit you to 90 days but then your money will go further.
My final piece of advice would to just make sure you do it and try not to put it off. Life is short, do what you can while you can!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ryunis wrote:

My final piece of advice would to just make sure you do it and try not to put it off. Life is short, do what you can while you can!

Sound advice!
https://money101.co.za/time-is-our-greatest-asset-use-it-wisely/
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
alice8217 wrote:

The pros and cons of Chamonix have been long discussed on this forum and beyond, and I generally agree -
pros: the BIG mountains; loads of like minded people to meet off piste/ski touring/mountaineering buddies and develop skills; access to the italian side, megeve, verbier etc; reasonably short drive from loads of touring in switzerland and italy.
cons - terrible infrastructure, disconnected lifts, buses always full, lifts shut on windy/powder days; anything accessible gets tracked out fast; air pollution; best to have a car to make the most of the access to other valleys/terrible buses

3. Austria - I love skiing in Austria because it doesn't feel like an elite sport, its embedded in the culture, its relatively affordable. Mountains and resorts are smaller though which is why I eventually chose Chamonix. I'd like to live somewhere like Innsbruck more long-term, as its not a ski town, but surrounded by ski mountains. I think for just a season, it would have to be St Anton area, for that optimal balance of great mountains/good infrastructure/not too small

Am also a big Chamonix fan for thé simply amazing terrain although the cons seem to have got worse over the last few years. How can it take several years to fix the Argentiere top bin?!??

My big gripe with St Anton is the stupid restriction on needing a guide for the signature Valluga 2 lift.
snow conditions
A place that gets overlooked too frequently by us Brits, Andermatt. The off- piste is exceptional with obvious options into some touring.
Many will say it's too small for a season but I would disagree. The small town has a great buzz and there are many hard core skiers in the area.
The big advantage over the better known resorts is that it will be extremely quiet during the week and tends not to be "tracked - out" in the 2 hour frenzy!!
snow report
@Rogerdodger, SHHHHHHH
ski holidays
Don't worry @Nadenoodlee, the ..matt that starts with an A will never get the attention of the one that begins with......Z.

There is absolutely nothing to worry about!! Which canton do you reside in?
snow report
@Rogerdodger, I am in in Kanton ZH down on the ZH/ZG/AG border. We have a saturday ski bus to Andermatt from the neighbouring town in winter.
snow conditions
I think Andermatt may also hold the record for snowiest part of the alps ?
latest report
Peter S wrote:
I think Andermatt may also hold the record for snowiest part of the alps ?

Warth is usually quoted there.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy