Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sacking the rat race for the powder

Poster: A snowHead
Hey all,

Me and my better half are slowly getting tired of the rat race in London and have agreed that a Ski season would make the perfect career break. We've both skied since we were young and do about two trips a year Very Happy

The majority of our skiing is done in the Alps (although i've spent a few weeks in Niseko as well) which has led us to think that a season outside of Europe would be the best experience.

There are some obvious candidates across the US and Canada but I have zero idea on where would be best for two seasonnaires (in late twenties) who would like to ski as much as possible.

I'd be real grateful for any advice that snowheads have for doing a season in North America and also doing a season with your partner.

Thanks in advance Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For a season you ideally want a proper 'town' in the US or Canada. Mrs t_m did her 'gap year' in Fernie, and greatly enjoyed it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@SB5ive,

Done a few seasons in Whistler (was also late 20's when we did the first one - now live in Canada! Madeye-Smiley ), Whistler's a pretty good place obviously, but has it's downsides and with people able to relocate their work is likely more busy and expensive than ever.
If I did it again now, I'd probably look at somewhere like Revelstoke or Rossland - the latter is small and remote so maybe not so much if partying is your main thing, but Red Mountain is great and Rossland has a nice vibe.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Get a job as a liftie supervisor. A mates lad got a job as just that in Canada once and he was paid to board from liftie to liftie to check everything was ok.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@SB5ive, Canada or the US is not a bad idea and there are lots of options although apparently Covid remote working and the inexhorable rise of AirBnB makes seasonal rentals more difficult every year.

To be honest your social scene in a small town isn't bad, you'll see the same people on the hill everyday and in bars, the gym, pool etc. Bigger places you're kinda swarmed out by tourists.

Megapasses now make it possible to combine a couple of months in one place with a fairly big roadtrip if that idea appeals though while car rental rates used to keep the cost reasonable they've skyrocketed this year.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@SB5ive, I wish I felt otherwise, but you may want to consider how you feel about how seriously those around you are taking the pandemic. For example, if you would rather not deal with people flouting mask regulations in the lift line and elsewhere, there are a few places to avoid.

Tell us the type of skiing and town you are hoping for and we can better tailor our recommendations. For example, if you seek true powder, Tahoe is not for you. But if you want sun, it is. They say it is a La Niña season coming, which usually means less snow for Taos and Telluride but more in the Pacific NW.

You mentioned skiing as much as possible. I would assume that means not working, and since it is unlikely you'd make much money, just skip it and dive into your lucky adventure with both feet and maximum flexibility.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As others have said need a little more info to realy help.

From my experience having lived in NZ, Japan USA and Canada, but mostly in the western end of the alps.

Japan is out for until at least 22/23.

USA only Tahoe area would fit the bill and that will be completely overcrowded this winter....same for Whistler.

If you don't mind the cold and I do mean Cold. Banff, real town, 4 ski areas (yes I count Nakiska) and others a resonable drive away.

BUT if skiing is realy your thing and with Japan out of the picture (at least this winter) then it's Europe.

If budget is not a worry then Switzerland. Austria and Dolomites of Italy are more picture postcard. France has the biggest and most extensive ski areas if you just want miles of piste.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
+1 for Europe, bigger mountains, bigger areas, potential to live say somewhere like Innsbruck (as one example) with loads of local mountains readily available and a city for non skiing days, Christmas fairs etc etc.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you’re interested in off piste terrain and potentially some touring I’d recommend Jackson Hole in the US and Verbier in Switzerland or St Anton in Austria. Lots of terrain and like minded people to enjoy it with
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@SB5ive,
1st question (irrespective of where you fancy going) is:- What is your budget?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kenzie wrote:
@SB5ive,
1st question (irrespective of where you fancy going) is:- What is your budget?

That plus -

Do you want to stay in one place or do some travelling to other places?
Are you prepared to rent/buy a car?
What is your max travel time daily to to the slopes?

Lots of places the locals live in town rather than at the resort and 15-30 mins drive may be necessary. Quality and frequency of bus service can vary considerably.

E.g. Banff area you'd probably end up living in Canmore, Fernie town or Rossland/Trail is probably 10 mins from the hill, Tahoe you're maybe in Truckee or Tahoe City for North shore resorts, SLC you're almost certainly living in a suburb rather than up a canyon, Whistler you're likely finding somewhere in an outer subdivision or Pemberton

If you want the rock out of your door onto a ski slope or easy bus to the lift that's what can make Europe more attractive.

I'd have an idea about all those questions and for a couple then be prepared to do the accomodation hunt first before deciding on concrete plans. It's a bit easier for a single to find accomodation as a houseshare but still not supereasy especially when you are not on the ground.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks to all of you for the recommendations - super helpful.

I'll try give some more detail on what exactly we're looking for:

- TOWN: We're not completely past the Apres Ski phase just yet so somewhere with a vibe/buzz would be important. St Anton is my idea of a perfect ski town - small enough so you feel part of a community and large enough to keep things interesting with enough in the surrounding areas as well. We're both comfortable drivers and I think we'd be happy to rent/buy a car, however, I'd much rather be in the thick of it have the lifts within bus/walk.

- SKIING: We're both competent off-piste skiers and will do a guided day on most trips to see the surrounding area. One of the aims of the season is to take that to the next level i.e. dabble in some touring and maybe start to think about multi-day trips. Hence, the area needs to be pretty big with a good selection of off-piste, again St Anton is probably the benchmark.

- BUDGET: Although we want to ski as much as possible we're not quite at the stage of being able to finance a whole season without working. Therefore, that brings into play working VISAs and the whole B-word discussion - making NA maybe a more viable option as it stands? We can probably afford to finance 2 months off our own backs with no where being out of budget but then maybe the rest of the season we'd need to get a job.

- WHEN: We're not looking at going this season, or even the 22/23 season. We both want to get two more years on the CV so that job hunting when we come back won't be an issue. Therefore, maybe Japan is an option but I'm told that its usually a place for experienced seasonnaires (and not for noobies).

- WORK: Because we're both are UK citizens, Europe seems a little complicated. I've read some of the other threads about this topic and there are some glimmers of hope out there, I don't want this thread to turn into a brexit thread so let's keep Europe firmly on the cards. We would both happily do any type of work, but do have our sights set on a form of Chalet Hosting (I blame the other half binge watching Chalet Girl on repeat), is this common in NA? What type of jobs can seasonnaires get over there that afford a good work/ski balance?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Honestly - if you're looking a couple of years out just get saving a bit more (maybe designate a ski bum ISA account) and avoid the having to work at all - bearing in mind most employers will want you for the season not as part time dilletantes. Cutting down on Deliveroos and a couple of nights out a month can easily cover you.

You'd do well to get your working holiday visa requests into Canada in good time and make sure you're under age limit if you do want to work. Not sure that the US post Trump really is that friendly on those sort of things. Bear in mind the current vibe in US ski resorts is that they struggle to fill vacancies because workers can't find any affordable accomodation.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Honestly - if you're looking a couple of years out just get saving a bit more (maybe designate a ski bum ISA account) and avoid the having to work at all - bearing in mind most employers will want you for the season not as part time dilletantes. Cutting down on Deliveroos and a couple of nights out a month can easily cover you.

You'd do well to get your working holiday visa requests into Canada in good time and make sure you're under age limit if you do want to work. Not sure that the US post Trump really is that friendly on those sort of things. Bear in mind the current vibe in US ski resorts is that they struggle to fill vacancies because workers can't find any affordable accomodation.

Thanks, Dave. Any advice on how much we should be looking to save? Realistically, we could save about £600 per month (on average) for the next 24 months. Would £14K between the two of us make a dent? In terms of what we'd be looking for accommodation wise, we'd happily get something at the bottom of the ladder.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SB5ive wrote:

Thanks, Dave. Any advice on how much we should be looking to save? Realistically, we could save about £600 per month (on average) for the next 24 months. Would £14K between the two of us make a dent? In terms of what we'd be looking for accommodation wise, we'd happily get something at the bottom of the ladder.

You'd probably be able to do a season for 2 in most Alpine resorts with that budget.
latest report
@SB5ive, The biggest drivers are accommodation and car costs if any. If you could get rent for under $2000 per month for both of you then on top maybe $1000 for lift pass and $900 flights per person. For 4 months that puts you around $12,000 giving you on £14k = $1900 ish $7k eat drink and walkaround money so doable. Most short term rents will probably have utilities in so you could easily target $2500 inclusive rentals. If you need a car I'd currently budget £800-1000 per month to rent so that would wipe out most of your spending money.

To avoid the car you need to target good transport infrastructure which again is a flipside of cost of renting e.g. live in skitown- expensive, difficult to find but good free ish buses, live downvalley -county buses less frequent. Actually that brings to mind an exception - you could ski Aspen everyday but live downvalley in Carbondale or even Glenwood if you didn't mind a long bus in. The valley there has really good transit by necessity as it's so hard for workers to find accomodation around town.
snow conditions
There's always this...

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=154869
latest report
In Verbier I reckon you’d be looking at 8-10k chf for a decent studio for the season (Nov - April). 2k for lift passes, 3k for decent kit (touring ain’t cheap!), around 1k per month for food and drink = 18-20k chf (£15k) for a season.

No need for a car. Train down the hill or borrow off one of the seasonaires if you need one (car insured rather than driver in CH).

Imagine St Anton would be similar?

Typical day on the mountain wink

http://youtube.com/v/A2BYxoN4Tb8

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 15-10-21 7:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

Agree with Dave about North America, and most certainly the western ski areas. Real estate in the US is through the roof. Tons of investment buying now for short term rentals in ski areas, combined with a pandemic-related surge out of metro areas now that everyone has discovered that working from home means you don't have to live anywhere near "the office". Here you can't even get a contractor to return a phone call, let alone bid on a job. The result is no "long term" rentals and the short term rentals are pricey enough that a hotel might be cheaper. We have restaurants only open part of the week during the high seasons because of staffing issues. So then all of a sudden instead of using the ski area bus you need to stay much further out and buy a car. Just three years back this was not the case.

However, as you're looking ahead two years or so, that could change by the time you actually do it. Some of these people will probably discover that having a major hospital closer than a ten hour drive away or being able to go to the opera or whatever is something they miss. Who knows?
snow conditions
Riccardo wrote:
There's always this...

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=154869

Laughing Beat me to it…

Joking aside, it could be a solution….

Popcorn, anyone?
ski holidays
People talking silly money above. Fernie for example you have the fernie pub doing 6 month room lease for £2300 total. Yes the common areas are shared but you get a private room, and if you just want skiing on the cheap it's a good deal.

Quote:

3k for decent kit (touring ain’t cheap!)

If you have the money sure, why not. If you are trying to keep costs down and new to touring you don't need top of the line stuff. There are always decent deals to be had on second hand touring gear that will be perfectly adequate. For example on kijiji Calgary right now there are skis with dynafit bindings and skins for as little as £200.
snow report
boarder2020 wrote:
People talking silly money above. Fernie for example you have the fernie pub doing 6 month room lease for £2300 total. Yes the common areas are shared but you get a private room, and if you just want skiing on the cheap it's a good deal.

Quote:

3k for decent kit (touring ain’t cheap!)

If you have the money sure, why not. If you are trying to keep costs down and new to touring you don't need top of the line stuff. There are always decent deals to be had on second hand touring gear that will be perfectly adequate. For example on kijiji Calgary right now there are skis with dynafit bindings and skins for as little as £200.

Sure but there’s 2 of them and they are there for the season. Even on a one ski quiver chf1500 for boots / skis / bindings / poles / skins / transceiver / shovel / ABS pack / decent clothing will be a challenge. Save money on the accommodation by all means but skimping on gear is a mugs game IMO.
snow report
Quote:

Would £14K between the two of us make a dent?

I do 3 months in Canada for less than £3k total (flights, lift pass, accomodation, food etc.). You probably want a little more luxury than me, but it really doesn't have to break the bank. For £14k you should be able to do a season providing you don't want luxury and lots of eating out/alcohol etc.

Quote:

however, I'd much rather be in the thick of it have the lifts within bus/walk.

Forget a walk unless you want to spend megamoney. Short bus is doable (e.g. rossland or fernie) and massively saves on the costs of a car. Honestly you probably wouldn't want to live at the bottom of the lifts in most resorts anyway as they are dead once lifts close, Canada is much more about living in a town and travelling to the ski resorts than Euro style.

Quote:

Hence, the area needs to be pretty big with a good selection of off-piste, again St Anton is probably the benchmark.

Then resorts in Canada are tiny in comparison. St Anton - 165km2, fernie 10km2. What you have to remember is the entirety of Canadian resorts are avalanche controlled, meaning you have off piste skiing everywhere inside that without the need to worry about slides. Of course you have the option to leave the resort and ski backcountry/tour.
If you like steeps and challenging skiing kicking horse is a good option. Also great touring from the resort (slackcountry) and Rogers pass is an hour drive away and arguably one of the best touring spots in n America. Kicking horse has great skiing but the town might not meet your requirements.

Quote:

form of Chalet Hosting (I blame the other half binge watching Chalet Girl on repeat), is this common in NA? What type of jobs can seasonnaires get over there that afford a good work/ski balance?

Chalets are not really a thing. I don't think you need to work if you can save up £14k, but if you do best jobs are anything in the evenings that doesn't eat into ski time (e.g. bar work, restaurant hospitality).

The other thing to save some money is go for a shorter time. Everyone wants to do a "season" but IME 3 months is usually enough for most people and early/late season conditions can be iffy anyway.
ski holidays
Quote:

Sure but there’s 2 of them and they are there for the season. Even on a one ski quiver chf1500 for boots / skis / bindings / poles / skins / transceiver / shovel / ABS pack / decent clothing will be a challenge. Save money on the accommodation by all means but skimping on gear is a mugs game IMO.

I'm assuming they already have some gear doing 2 trips a year. My point is that it doesn't have to cost a fortune. I'm still riding a second hand split board set up (board, bindings, skins, poles) that I picked up for less than half the price of a new board alone would cost. I agree that there is some gear you shouldn't skimp on (avy stuff which could essentially be the difference between life and death). For a lot of stuff the cheaper option is absolutely fine though. I'm not saying that £250 arcteryx jacket isn't better than a £60 decathlon one, but the decathlon one is plenty enough for most seasonaires. Especially for time rich money poor people - for me that £190 will cover a month's rent in Canada which far outweighs slightly better jacket performance when the cheap one meets all my needs anyway.
latest report
boarder2020 wrote:
Quote:

I do 3 months in Canada for less than £3k total (flights, lift pass, accomodation, food etc.). You probably want a little more luxury than me, but it really doesn't have to break the bank. For £14k you should be able to do a season providing you don't want luxury and lots of eating out/alcohol etc.

The other thing to save some money is go for a shorter time. Everyone wants to do a "season" but IME 3 months is usually enough for most people and early/late season conditions can be iffy anyway.

The season rooms in Fernie are one of the best deals I am aware of anywhere in NA (and even then you are paying 6 months but potentially only using 3-4) but particularly in the US the cost of renting somewhere private near to the ski hill is heading towards the ludicrous and I'm aware (cos I've stayed in some of the motels that do it) of people living in motels downvalley and commuting the entire season. Now that's an acceptable lifestyle for some but not for others.
snow report
Cacciatore wrote:

Laughing Beat me to it…

Joking aside, it could be a solution….

Popcorn, anyone?

snowHead Well, if we never hear from him again, we'll know what he decided to do.
snow report
Quote:

The season rooms in Fernie are one of the best deals I am aware of anywhere in NA

In terms of value for money they are fantastic. The absolute best deal (for the right person/people) was the HI wilderness pass which was £176 for unlimited stays in 10 hostels/huts spread around Banff and Jasper national parks!

Quote:

particularly in the US the cost of renting somewhere private near to the ski hill is heading towards the ludicrous and I'm aware (cos I've stayed in some of the motels that do it) of people living in motels downvalley and commuting the entire season. Now that's an acceptable lifestyle for some but not for others.

Other than Whistler I can't really think of anywhere in Canada I'd rather stay at the ski hill than the closest town though, as there tends to be not much there/going on once lifts close. Sure you have skiing on your doorstep but you have to travel everytime you want a bar/restaurant/supermarket etc. If you hate the idea of a commute there are options - for example fernie is only 5 mins bus from town and as said above there is cheap accommodation there. I'll be honest and say the idea of a long commute (e.g. 45mins Banff to lake Louise) does massively put me off, however I know plenty of people in UK doing an hour each way to a job they hate so in comparison 45mins to go skiing seems like a good deal.
snow report
boarder2020 wrote:

Other than Whistler I can't really think of anywhere in Canada I'd rather stay at the ski hill than the closest town though, as there tends to be not much there/going on once lifts close. Sure you have skiing on your doorstep but you have to travel everytime you want a bar/restaurant/supermarket etc. If you hate the idea of a commute there are options - for example fernie is only 5 mins bus from town and as said above there is cheap accommodation there. I'll be honest and say the idea of a long commute (e.g. 45mins Banff to lake Louise) does massively put me off, however I know plenty of people in UK doing an hour each way to a job they hate so in comparison 45mins to go skiing seems like a good deal.

Wouldn't necessarily be doing LL every day though would you. You've got Norquay and Sunshine much closer to your doorstep. The drive on the Highway between Banff and LL is stunning though, quite different to commuting to work in England! Laughing

That Fernie deal blows my mind every time you mention it.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SB5ive wrote:
You'd easily do a season in a ski-in/out location in France. Season rate for the type of 1 bed apartment I own in La Tania is around €8,000 inclusive, say £7.5k in two years time including underground parking (you need parking in the 3V's, free parking is disappearing rapidly). It's an ideal size for a couple. Rates in Les Menuires are similar.

Take your car from the UK and drive out so you can shop down the valley, avoid mid-season claustrophobia etc. You can get 180 days insurance with various companies. I guess it depends a bit on your personality but I need freedom and absolutely wouldn't do a season without a car. You need one for things like trips to an electrical shop to buy a mini-oven, collect Amazon deliveries from La Poste etc. £2.5k for 3V lift passes (about £1.6k if you're under 30) leaves you approx €250/week for food and booze for five months. That's a comfortable season.

In Courchevel/Meribel you can probably get cash in hand work for things like changeover day cleaning to boost the funds if necessary and meet a few more people, particularly in peak weeks. Work the weekends cleaning chalets, doing laundry etc. and ski the other 5 days at your leisure.
latest report
To be honest the OP is asking about North America not Europe. Clearly not least because of the number and size of Euro resorts and the sheer number of appartments (rabbit hutchy or otherwise in the case of France) there are probably easier and cheaper accomodation options available in Europe plus the advantage of being able to drive your own car there.

I've done seasons in the US and Canada not because it was cheaper than Europe (or necessarily better) but because I like the freedom to ski anywhere on the hill on my own without worrying too much about Avi risk and because it's different (and I have the rest of my life to ski in Europe - Brexshit permitting)
latest report
SB5ive wrote:
so let's keep Europe firmly on the cards.
ski holidays
Raceplate wrote:
SB5ive wrote:

For completeness follwed by something about working and Brexit so the context is unclear..... The OP is never going to get anywhere trying to trade off N America v Europe. Reality is very different things and cost bases and ......

For the budget they'd have a season in N America is possible but it's not a defacto given everywhere. They probably do have more options in Europe and cost saving opportunities. I suggest they need to narrow on their must haves and the like. I can see 3V milage munchers hating somewhere like Fernie (just not the same pistes, open terrain etc). But those that have skied and enjoyed Fernie might say you don't need anything more and its better to have a bagful of easy to access favourite lines.....
snow conditions
I find it hard to believe you couldn't do a very comfortable season (January/March) in most European stations (and a lot of NA resorts) for 14,000 pounds. That's nearly $20,000 US, or 24,000 loonies. But I agree that the wild card is whether you need a car or not.

My back of the envelope calculation, assuming you have decent gear already: Flights to Europe from UK: 1000 total if you're flexible; 2000 to western US (Salt Lake City for example). Rent, let's say 2000 a month for 2 people in a decent studio or small 1 br. That leaves 6,000 pounds for ski passes, food/entertainment and transit. surely that's doable? If you have a car you could drive to Europe, but there should be enough places that you don't need one if you look carefully.

Buying a decent car in North America == very expensive right now; could be less in 2 years. But let's say 5,000 including insurance for something functional that you can re-sell at the end of a few months. But you'd need to re-sell probably at a loss to move it quickly...

Personally, I'd look at the Salt Lake City area, and buying a car. You should be able to find in-town (in city) accomodations at a decent price, and you have an amazing selection of resorts within an hour's drive. And powder!
ski holidays
Raceplate wrote:
SB5ive wrote:

For completeness follwed by something about working and Brexit so the context is unclear..... The OP is never going to get anywhere trying to trade off N America v Europe. Reality is very different things and cost bases and ......

For the budget they'd have a season in N America is possible but it's not a defacto given everywhere. They probably do have more options in Europe and cost saving opportunities. I suggest they need to narrow on their must haves and the like. I can see 3V milage munchers hating somewhere like Fernie (just not the same pistes, open terrain etc). But those that have skied and enjoyed Fernie might say you don't need anything more and its better to have a bagful of easy to access favourite lines.....

He said St Anton is the reference and wants to get into off piste and touring (which makes a lot of sense if they are there for a season). Suspect they’ll end up in Europe when he realizes US/Canada resorts are typically much smaller.

And I wouldn’t shorten the season if doing Europe. December/Jan often brings the cold, low altitude pow days in the trees. While April is best for touring and steep skiing and the glorious long sunny evenings.
snow report
@BobinCH, I don't disagree re Europe overall being a better fit though I have my doubts about skiing the WROD and waiting for it to snow throughout a dark December if it's a bad start to the season (it being different taking opportunistic days when you are working vs sitting around waiting for it)
snow conditions
@BobinCH, I don't disagree re Europe overall being a better fit though I have my doubts about skiing the WROD and waiting for it to snow throughout a dark December if it's a bad start to the season (it being different taking opportunistic days when you are working vs sitting around waiting for it)

No WROD here. Mont Fort usually opens 2nd week Dec and the pow hangs around because it’s cold. The pass and accommodation are already paid for so not much to lose IMO.

They would miss out on US instructors though snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/tQoXiEJc_9A
ski holidays
The OP is never going to get anywhere trying to trade off N America v Europe.
The only person who seems to be doing this is you. I just answered a question of what £14k would buy for a season in the place I know best. And as BobinCH has also pointed out, the OP has said St Anton is the benchmark and they're interested in apres. That's pretty different to most North American skiing.

I can see 3V milage munchers hating somewhere like Fernie (just not the same pistes, open terrain etc). But those that have skied and enjoyed Fernie might say you don't need anything more
I assume this is some attempt to judge me based on my signature. For info, I learnt to ski in North America, have skied all the Aspen hills, Breckenridge and Whistler and heli'd in Whistler. I've driven through NZ skiing nutcracker rope tow club fields, stayed in one horse towns like Methven and heli'd there too. I'm pretty sure I know the difference between a mega-resort and a micro-town so don't stereotype me because I choose to own somewhere in driving distance of the UK.
ski holidays
Revelstoke would be my choice in the interior of BC, great hill near Rogers pass for properly amazing touring.
The papers here are running stories about shortage of workers meaning recruitment trouble on the hills.
You should do it. Doing it is also more important than choosing what seems like the perfect place, you'll enjoy anywhere.
As many will attest it's powerful Juju though so don't be too surprised if your life plans change in the long term.
latest report
@SB5ive,
If your saving plan of £14k is doable then your next task is to decide between yourselves what sort of resort you want to do a season in - eg ski from door important or not; apres or not; large or small; other resorts close by or not; off pidte options; standard of skiing; length of saeson etc.
Then list the resorts that best match your wish list & start doing some in depth investigation re accommodation prices, lift pass prices, getting there & back, visas etc.
I can't say for North America, but £14k should allow the pair of you skibum start of December to end of April in the Alps.
Other than snowheads, try seasonnaire groups on Facebook eg 'Tignes Seasonnaires'.
snow report
@Raceplate, Nothing personal about you - more about an "average" 3V holidaymaker. I've actively and specifically deterred people who have asked me about going on holiday to Fernie from the UK who know I have spent time there, because I knew they were predominantly piste cruisers.

If St Anton area is your benchmark then clearly only places like Verbier/4V, 3V, Espace Killy, maybe Ski Circus etc are going to really compare. The closest you get in NA is Whistler Blackcomb or (on a much smaller scale Jackson Hole) or non connected resorts in some other places.

I think we've basically some down to a conclusion - I'm not trying to sell the OP on anywhere - hell a ski season anywhere probably beats an office in the UK over winter. I guess personally I'd be annoyed if I asked about how can I do this thing in NA and got a bunch of "you don't want to do that, you wanna do this" type answers but I do agree it appears that what really matches their spec is doing a season (or 90 days post Brexit) somewhere in Europe.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy