Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis/boards on test

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Opportunity for anyone to talk about what mustarded their hotdog at the Oktobertests.

To be fair this test was less about the skis and more about how much ability I retained after 19 months away from skiing (not that I've been counting rolling eyes )

Whitedot Altum 104 - Go on just nick a couple of Mars Bars
Volkl Racetiger GS - I will kill you or a small child unless you really pay attention
Line Vision - Paint in Black and seem inoffensive - weak edge grip
Line Sir Francis Bacon - Paint it more black and widen it - more intuitive 107 width
Line Blade - Spoony nose and fish tail = Pivoty stomp rocket. It's not a unique formula but its a fair facsimile of how Icelantic Shamans behaved
Whitedot Altum 114 - Just twocked an STi with big bore exhaust

Most interesting new to me ski was the Line Blade - like it said on the tin was like a recreation of the snowlerblade in grownup sized skis.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My parsnips were buttered enough by the K2 Special Effects to open my wallet. Its the new replacement for the Cool Bean - a short, stubby, fishtail board. I'd wanted to try the Cool Bean last year but they didn't bring it, but this year they remembered that someone had asked after it so brought one down.

For a short board, it still gripped nicely on the harder side of the piste and responded to pushing into the edges but it really came alive on the choppy side where you could balance it over the cut up snow really well. Really looking forwards to getting it into the slush and any powder I might find this season.

As for other toys tried...

Geometric - the new name for the WorldWideWeapon. Certainly felt soft and compressible but still held a reasonable edge - the double-black graphics were a bit ... grown-up... for a park board IMHO.

Party Platter - Basics done well - like a decent bolognaise - can still be a good thing. Thats the Party Platter. It doesn't jump out and grab you like some do, but its a decent bit of kit, nice and stable, decent turn-in, good edge hold. Its an all-rounder and does its job.

Warpig - I have a lot of time for the Warpig. Ride have put in quite a few tweaks to the design over the past year, particularly around altering the sidecut to improve the turn-in and increasing the width. The construction its stiffer with the carbon stringers and rolling the topsheet over more to the edge and improving the durability (old one was prone to chipping). For the width of it, it rides much more actively than you'd expect thanks to the more aggressive sidecut on the nose, so really helps on the turn initiation, and the flat profile keeps it quite playful.

Alchemist - I really liked this board last year. I've been riding a Jones Flagship for quite a few years now and it really reminds me of that in its responsiveness and the power you can put into it. Not much change in this one, still a lovely bit of kit, a strong progressive board for blasting around on and off the piste.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 12-10-21 10:13; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@DotM Glad I wasn't the only one who had that reaction to the Volkl Racetigers! Smile

Line Blades were also good fun and probably the biggest suprise of the skis I tested - look like off piste skis but ski more like slalom skis.

But for me the Dynastar Master SLs were the stars of the show - OK helped by the fact they are best suited to the short, narrow dome piste but they just gave that instant confidence and shouted "Push me harder!" at you all the time.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Racetigers

rolling eyes
The marketing boys are really scraping the barrel. But it seems to work Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Were the AceRocketBlasters GS skis or BigBoyWand snowboards available?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
AL9000 wrote:
Quote:

Racetigers

rolling eyes
The marketing boys are really scraping the barrel. But it seems to work Madeye-Smiley

They've always been Renntigers - Volkl are at least consistent - I've a SL snowboard from the 90s with the retro 70s tiger graphic. So 50 ish years of the same thing.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I've a SL snowboard from the 90s

Ooh was that the one which looked like the graphics had been lifted off of Rocky's satin-effect jacket?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This puppy

http://www.snowboardmuseum.de/board/show/id/1640
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was going to say you don't see setups like that these days, but then we did have @Philwig at the ski test with his hard boot/Kessler setup (at least I think it was him...)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yeh @philwig would poo-poo on my board cos while it's hefty its all glass over a wood core whereas he (and anyone racing boards in the 21st century) rides metal only.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I’ve been looking for more feedback on the Whitedot Altum 106’s as can’t find much one YouTube vid and a number of recommendations from skijon who sells them. Any idea what “ Go on just nick a couple of Mars Bars” means
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Blister Reviews of the Altum 104 are very accurate:

https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/2020-2021-whitedot-altum-104

https://blisterreview.com/deep-dive/deep-dive-whitedot-altum-104

And the 23/24 Altum 104 is unchanged from the above ski.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy