Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Taking teenagers skiing this winter?

Poster: A snowHead
Timmycb5 wrote:
....I'd be nervous if I had a Christmas/NY holiday booked. I'm guessing as not many 12-15 year olds will be fully jabbed by then, they may focus their efforts on half term, as this will effect the largest proportion of people.

We're flying 19th, thankfully going to Andorra so we don't have the daily testing rigmarole, but I'm not exactly in a state of chill about the return test we have to do.... this is literally the most stressful lead-up to a holiday I've ever had. Feeling very apprehensive at the moment.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Timmycb5 wrote:
@Gazzza, my son is single jabbed and recovered too. I think, if my calculations are correct, by the time we are due to go (half term) he'll have had his second jab with a couple of weeks to spare.

I'd be nervous if I had a Christmas/NY holiday booked. I'm guessing as not many 12-15 year olds will be fully jabbed by then, they may focus their efforts on half term, as this will effect the largest proportion of people.

I'm not sure, as based on gut feel from lift queues, Feb half term and NY are probable similar numbers for skiers I expect. However I think Christmas and NY is probably bigger numbers of overall effected when you add in non skiing travel - eg. families travelling to visit families, families over the festive period plus families having a winter sun break. etc

Keeping all finger crossed !
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gazzza wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:
Pierresel wrote:
Front page of the i newspaper today- qr codes for 12-15s

HALLELUJAH!!

https://inews.co.uk/news/nhs-covid-letter-travel-vaccinated-12-15-christmas-holidays-1335800

I hope they will be producing the pass for recently recovered too. I suspect at present more teens are recently recovered than double jabbed, and this will be the case for quite some months.

Doesn't sound convincing for Christmas/NY though alas.

I hope so too. Due to recently having covid my 11, soon to be 12, year old can't have his first vaccine until Feb and will therefore be out of time to have his second before our trip. He meets the requirements, but we currently can't demonstrate either in the way the French are asking us to. My plan B is alternative accommodation booked in Austria as they already will accept written confirmation of prior infection. This could still all change, particularly if prior infection proves not to be effective in protecting against the new variant.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gazzza wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:
@Gazzza, my son is single jabbed and recovered too. I think, if my calculations are correct, by the time we are due to go (half term) he'll have had his second jab with a couple of weeks to spare.

I'd be nervous if I had a Christmas/NY holiday booked. I'm guessing as not many 12-15 year olds will be fully jabbed by then, they may focus their efforts on half term, as this will effect the largest proportion of people.

I'm not sure, as based on gut feel from lift queues, Feb half term and NY are probable similar numbers for skiers I expect. However I think Christmas and NY is probably bigger numbers of overall effected when you add in non skiing travel - eg. families travelling to visit families, families over the festive period plus families having a winter sun break. etc

Keeping all finger crossed !

Numbers going on hols may be higher in December, but when you factor in that not many 12-15 year old will be fully jabbed by then, there will be lots that need to test even if they brought out the covid pass by then, which is why having it ready for Feb half term will likely help more families.

Hopefully they can pull their fingers out and get it ready for Christmas though.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Had been hoping to drive to Tignes Val Claret 29/1 with another family, testing to get to France is obviously doable but the only testing is in Le Lac (the Val Claret pharmacy confirmed this to me y'day) and whilst we'll have a car given @gazzza's post re Tignes testing availability it seems to much to chance with 2x 13 yr old single jabbed girls. Plus it will be touch and go for one of the party as she'll need a booster but isn't yet eligible. Not sure what to do as the apartment needs to be paid for at the end of Dec.

Was thinking of Andorra, anyone driven? It's a couple of hours extra drive and Andorra seem to have taken a libertarian approach to Covid! Wash your hands, wear a mask and socially distance - and good luck I guess Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorry don't let me put you off ! 2/3/4th Jan looks like they have tests available in the evening which would work if you had a car. Nothing at all on the 1st though and limited morning to early afternoon slots on the 29/30/31.

Andorra viable for skiing, but flight prices were high when I looked, and it's a long old schlepp to drive imo. 10h40 to 12h30 from Eurotunnel Calais is google maps estimate. I tend to draw the line a Savoie or Haute Savoie resorts at 8h30 ish when driving, but that's me personally.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chatel have set up a “mass” testing Centre opening today with results in 15 mins. Waiting on reports from the ground on how it is working but I assume teens can get tested at then conclusion of the ski day. They are a progressive village and the Maire is co-president or Savoie Mt Blanc region who has big emphasis on promoting tourism for the region, hopefully resulting in other larger seaports on the region implementing similar setup.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I heard / read on a twitter thread from Val D'isere that there is potential for UK 12 to 15 year olds with one vaccination to get a health pass from a local pharmacy. Just need proof of vaccination (which is difficult as Wales NHS don't issue passes or letters for under 16s).
I'm keeping everything crossed that this is the case and will be the same in Val Thorens, and the kids covid vaccine cards will suffice as evidence.

Going at Christmas but can't book any tests at the moment so no guarantee we can even get the required LFT to get back on the 27th!!

Nightmare.

Any news over the next few weeks from those in Val Thorens would be greatly appreciated.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
arrumac wrote:
....Was thinking of Andorra, anyone driven? It's a couple of hours extra drive and Andorra seem to have taken a libertarian approach to Covid! Wash your hands, wear a mask and socially distance - and good luck I guess Very Happy

We booked Andorra for the (at the time) very relaxed rules regarding our 7yo and 12yo kids. Of course, think have changed dramatically in the last few weeks but as it stands, we only need three sets of tests (one before leaving UK, one before leaving Andorra to UK, and a D2 PCR in UK). Compared to some litter destinations it seems a lot less hassle but Andorra's cases are sky high apparently so not sure if other things will be implemented... but like you say, distancing, masks in enclosed spaces and general hygiene seems their plan of action and of course, they're letting most of the traveller vetting to be done at Spanish and French borders.

I'm still very nervous but I'm glad we don't have to schlep around trying to find daily tests.

Can imagine a Drive to Andorra would be a mission (circa 700 miles from Calais) but could be a nice trip with a stopover
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Timmycb5 wrote:
@Bradiohead, maybe try download TAC verif on another phone and see what happens when you scan your son's QRs?

I don't think you are technically supposed to have TAC verif on your phone, so probably worth deleting it when you've tested it all.

Great advice @Timmycb5 thank you. Ive scanned his recovery ID i imported into the pass sanitaire app with the TAC Verif app and its come back valid so hopefully won't require the daily tests.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bradiohead wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:
@Bradiohead, maybe try download TAC verif on another phone and see what happens when you scan your son's QRs?

I don't think you are technically supposed to have TAC verif on your phone, so probably worth deleting it when you've tested it all.

Great advice @Timmycb5 thank you. Ive scanned his recovery ID i imported into the pass sanitaire app with the TAC Verif app and its come back valid so hopefully won't require the daily tests.
Awesome! Glad to have helped.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We still haven't quite kiboshed our trip next week, which is five of us including two single jabbed teenagers, but the addition of the pre-departure tests yesterday has edged us closer to pulling the plug.

Does anyone know if the daily in-resort testing for the teens can be used for return to the UK i.e. they will have had a pharmacy administered Antigen test done the day before we travel. Surely they don't then need a second, self-administered private UK LFT just to get home?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@rainman, it's a good question - one of many.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm sure the antigen tests administered in resort will do for return to the UK... one very, very small upside to the daily tests!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We used French Pharmacy antigen results to return from France in the summer. Uploaded the certificate we were provided to the Eurotunnel app.
latest report
Ozboy wrote:
We used French Pharmacy antigen results to return from France in the summer. Uploaded the certificate we were provided to the Eurotunnel app.

Same here. Definitely acceptable
snow report
Thanks - that's a small chink of light I suppose!
snow report
rainman wrote:
We still haven't quite kiboshed our trip next week, which is five of us including two single jabbed teenagers, but the addition of the pre-departure tests yesterday has edged us closer to pulling the plug.

Does anyone know if the daily in-resort testing for the teens can be used for return to the UK i.e. they will have had a pharmacy administered Antigen test done the day before we travel. Surely they don't then need a second, self-administered private UK LFT just to get home?

We are playing it safe and taking a C19 Private UK LFT with us. £22 each for peace of mind.
ski holidays
Jonny996 wrote:
I know the majority of poster are based in England & I am not sure how the English system works but in Scotland they are now offering the 12-15 year old's the second jab & the 12 week window opens up on 13th December (Initial jabs were offered from 20th Sep). I am also hearing (unofficially) that some mass walk in centers are allowing it after 8 weeks due to spare capacity.
So worth a few phone calls or even a trip to chance your arm before cancelling or signing up to multiple expensive daily tests.

Hi - I've been checking online to book appointment for my son who got first vaccine on 21st Sep - 12 weeks would be 14 Dec one week before we are due to go, which would be ideal. However, how do you know they will be offering them in December ? I can see that on NHS Scotland Inform 'more information to follow for 12-15 year olds' but not available to book. My 16 year old got his yesterday and asked and they certainly weren't giving anyone not yet eligible in Dundee.

Fingers and toes crossed, Jennifer
snow report
@Bradiohead, how do you get a recovery code please?
snow conditions
WishIWasFitter wrote:
It should be on the NHS app, assuming they are 16+
snow report
Is there a French/ EU equivalent of C19 or Medikspot - a European company that provide a TAC accepted QR code with photo upload?
ski holidays
X5OT76 wrote:

We are playing it safe and taking a C19 Private UK LFT with us. £22 each for peace of mind.

This has me thinking, we are going to use 'Testing for all' for our pre and post tests but I wonder if their unsupervised / supervised lateral flow tests would be accepted by the TousCovid app??

I've emailed them to ask. I'll post the reply when I get it.

Also asked if they are open Christmas day and boxing day. I think they are little more expensive than C19 but similar service.

Far cheaper than the 74 euros in Val Thorens!!
snow report
@stueyfivetoes, is it’s a U.K. testing company then unfortunately the answer is no.
ski holidays
Is there a French/ EU equivalent of C19 or Medikspot - a European company that provide a TAC accepted QR code with photo upload?
snow report
Timmycb5 wrote:
@stueyfivetoes, is it’s a U.K. testing company then unfortunately the answer is no.

Gutted Sad
ski holidays
WishIWasFitter wrote:

Its on the NHS app luckily he just turned 16. You get a code per vaccine and 1 for recovery.
latest report
[url=] https://www.j2ski.com/ski-chat-forum/posts/list/0/19820/val-disere-chemist-offers-health-passport-12-15-year-old-brits.page [/url]
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mike S wrote:
[url=] https://www.j2ski.com/ski-chat-forum/posts/list/0/19820/val-disere-chemist-offers-health-passport-12-15-year-old-brits.page [/url]

Would be great if more pharmacies offered this.
latest report
we ve just got out 13 year old booked for their second jab on 14/12, so should now avoid all the daily testing aggro
snow conditions
@stefoy4me, there's still the issue of proving vaccination. I hope they do as they promise and issue certificates asap.
latest report
@stefoy4me, out of interest, how long after his/her first jab?
snow report
yes I know, fingers crossed for that bit, although hoping for letter from surgery

8weeks
snow conditions
Thanks.
snow report
stefoy4me wrote:
we ve just got out 13 year old booked for their second jab on 14/12, so should now avoid all the daily testing aggro

How did you manage to book that?
snow report
with the doctors surgery
latest report
Timmycb5 wrote:
Mike S wrote:

Would be great if more pharmacies offered this.

Thanks for sharing this, it's in too good to be true territory, if true...and adopted by other resorts! Considering the almost daily tightening of the thumbscrews, common sense is the last thing I expected to see.

I will forward to Val Thorens and see if I can spark their interest in following suit.
snow report
Though you have to have been single jabbed AND recovered from Covid in order to qualify for it.
ski holidays
stefoy4me wrote:
with the doctors surgery

I will try them again. Daughter will be 8 weeks on Sunday. She should have been able to access when she turned 12, BUT our GP didn’t agree that ASD diagnosis was a qualifier…. Despite other publications to the contrary.
latest report
told them we were going to France at NY and needed to meet local rules of being double jabbed, and just booked in
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy