Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Taking teenagers skiing this winter?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm feeling increasingly negative that any argument for second jabs will work. Because most teenagers seem to have been infected already there maybe won't even be a big spike from failing to give a second jab. And in the current political climate saving ski holidays and overseas trips will not be top of anyone's agenda. It reminds me of last winter when golf courses were closed even though there was absolutely no justification for doing so, just to prove we were "all in it together".

I'd be very happy to pay for second jabs (and a booster for myself - those in our 40s got AZ and yet not been prioritised for booster dose) and it's very frustrating that this option isn't even available in the UK now that supply is regulated.

Apologies as I am probably straying off piste but my hope for my Easter French holiday is in the hands of the pharmacie having a decent plan for testing 12-15 visitors - if we are allowed to travel at all. At the moment I'm thankful CH is 16+ but who knows what might change and when.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Cheesie168, you don't actually need the QR codes in Austria, if you have a certificate of some sort in English or German it fulfils the regulation here. You could also get an antibody test which would cover you for 90 days.
Did you really have a second vaccination on December 4th last year?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for sharing the MP letters. I sent a version to my MP, David Rutley, today. His office have forwarded onto Robert Courts MP, Minister for Aviation. Not what I was expecting but a different angle to the Health Secretary.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Skimum1,

Weird how policies vary from country to country... Puzzled
Here they are just about to start jabs for 5 to 11 year olds and over 12s were double jabbed ages ago.
If you're over 12 and not fully vaccinated (two jabs) you are restricted as to what you can do. There's no such thing as the "had COVID and one jab" exception thing here. Guess no UK teenagers coming to Canada on holidays any time soon (unless they plan to spend 2 weeks in isolation, and go to no restaurants)
Also everyone who got 2 AZ jabs are prioritized for boosters.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@stuarth it’s the most bewildering policy and completely out of step with every other developed country. Sometimes it seems as through the U.K. government just won’t do anything unless it looks like they thought of it first - until it’s absolutely impossible to hold their original position. Or else they don’t have the resources or competence to do something so will pretend it’s a reasoned policy decision. The one jab idea is totally baffling.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Does anyone know if you can get an antibody test done and use that for travel? My 17 year old son has been exposed to so many of his friends testing positive recently and he still hasnt had it! He think he is impervious and can make a fortune! I think he has had it already but we didnt have a positive test at the time. I just wonder if an antibody test would be sufficient if he does have high enough levels? Anyone know?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@shardoski, was possible for Austria until yesterday, now no longer allowed.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
https://www.lefigaro.fr/flash-eco/ski-le-masque-est-obligatoire-dans-les-files-d-attente-des-remontees-20211106?fbclid=IwAR3LJHgnK_8zBhfAEq0L0aXU2JW6CVtx4nLKogVP4Q8PR4eL4ziHvWic8Xc

Announcement today re masks and health passes
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So if I've read that right, pass sanitaire will be needed if their case rate is over 200 per 100k, and only then on telecabines/gondalas?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes I think so… sounds like they are determined to make the season a goer. Remains to be seen how this will be enforced if it comes into play.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Has anyone got a grasp on what constitutes a ‘mask’?

Some formal level of medical mask or simply pulling your buff up over your nose?

In the U.K. a mask / face covering could have been made out of any spare piece of material lying around. What’s the deal in the EU / France?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Timmycb5 wrote:
So if I've read that right, pass sanitaire will be needed if their case rate is over 200 per 100k, and only then on telecabines/gondalas?

According to Reuters, France has "68 infections per 100K people reported last 7 days". By comparison the UK has 377, and falling.

The French average cases only need to triple, which looks quite possible IMO given they are rising there and how things have gone in the UK (big peak then fall off). That said we test a lot more in the UK so maybe the French figures are underestimates and will peak lower?

For those driving down through France it's not a big deal: just stop off at a pharmacy and get your teenager tested in twenty minutes + 25 EUR. For those flying to France this Xmas/NY things will be harder, though maybe the TOs will arrange the local pharmacies in the resort to open late so UK teenagers can get TAC for skiing in the morning.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@HilbertSpace, I think you might be over estimating the influence of uk tos over French pharmacies ...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@HilbertSpace, I think you might be over estimating the influence of uk tos over French pharmacies ...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It looks the pharmacy in La Plagne Centre is only closed on 25th Dec and 1st Jan, so will be able to get a test on all other days.

https://en.la-plagne.com/discover/practical/retailers-and-services/chemist-plagne-centre
ski holidays
You are also over estimating how easy this will be. We need the resorts to get their act together…

You need an appointment at all pharmacies. And most you can only phone up. Plus the PS only lasts 72 hours, so even if you get one on your way into resort, you’ll need up to 2 more for the remainder of the week.

I’m hoping that the resorts make it as easy as possible to get the testing and certifications done
latest report
under a new name wrote:

Yes you are probably correct, unfortunately.
snow conditions
what is to stop you creating a PS on the app using someone elses barcode from an nhs app. theoretically you could get an 18yr old who is double vaccinated to create a PS for their younger sibling. if you then make the qr code in the french app appear full screen it doesnt even show the date of birth. even if the dob is shown who is to know if the sibling is only a couple of years younger surely a lifty is not gonna have the time to compute the age or would not question it....asking for a friend Eh oh!
snow report
backhojo wrote:
what is to stop you creating a PS on the app using someone elses barcode from an nhs app. theoretically you could get an 18yr old who is double vaccinated to create a PS for their younger sibling. if you then make the qr code in the french app appear full screen it doesnt even show the date of birth. even if the dob is shown who is to know if the sibling is only a couple of years younger surely a lifty is not gonna have the time to compute the age or would not question it....asking for a friend Eh oh!

Nothing. Except if you’re caught, you’ll be thrown in jail, which will spoil your holiday pretty quickly. Covid isn’t a joke, or something to be cheated, it’s real.
ski holidays
Anyone got their +13yr old the NHS app for themselves seen a vaccine appear? Trying to decide if I get them onto my app or they do their own? Have had to put in a data request via 119 to get my third jab from 3 weeks ago added to my records. Seems it might take them 21days to get back to me!
ski holidays
telford_mike wrote:
backhojo wrote:

Nothing. Except if you’re caught, you’ll be thrown in jail, which will spoil your holiday pretty quickly. Covid isn’t a joke, or something to be cheated, it’s real.

not trying to make a joke - just pointing out the stupid application of covid rules , done by policy makers with no medical or epidemiological sense. How is it ok to travel on the metro with no PS yet a ski lift might need one ? why cant I use the changing room in tesco to try clothes on when they are empty but I can stand outside the changing rooms, with no mask on, discussion the problem with the assistant ? why can my wife not visit her elderly mother in hospital but my wifes dad can visit (who has just been in a car for an hour with my wife to get there so if she has covid then so has he. ) I work in the NHS, am married to a doctor and get it. what I dont get is why people who have no clue insist on making this pandemic harder than it needs to be. The teenager in question will has had a jab today. but will have no proof. he will not get a second jab. he is lateral flow testing regularly for school. He will use chair lifts and drags if at all possible as this is covid. covid is deadly and horrible, but so is flu and pneumonia and these we have lived with for hundreds of years.
latest report
@backhojo, Exactly. Complete inconsistency.
And with regards the covid being a joke...of course it's not. But with vaccines, its damage is now on a par with the flu.
snow report
Just wondering randomly- apologies If this question has already been asked…. Is there mechanism to take our children to Europe and pay for the second covid vaccine? Thus then allowing them the freedoms allowed to those children with the second vaccine?
ski holidays
@NickyJ I am going to ask this when I get a call from my MP's secretary this week!
ski holidays
Yes the French announcement is not particular good news.
We've already established that most UK teens cannot get Pass Sanitaire (either due to the single jab issue, or even if recovered in < 6 months and are eligible for PS they can't get a UK NHS covid pass to prove it).

As someone else quoted it's already reported in the news that French cases per 100k are around 70 and rising, and they have in the past been up to 247. With winter, it remains a possibility that the 200 limit could be reached to trigger PS being mandated for ski lifts. So in a nutshell, not only can our teens not use restaurants or indoor venues on their holiday, there is a potential chance of being blocked from ski lifts too, unless they troll to a pharmacie every 72 hours for testing (and risk false positives etc). That assumes the small resort pharmacies can gear up to a potential large influx of teens needing testing every 3 days during peak holiday weeks.

On another question - for entry purposes the FCDO and the French Consulate websites state over 12s need either a test or proof of recovery. Does the standard UK positive PCR test result email cover this for border control purposes, or is the issue the same as for Pass Sanitaire where a barcode is needed ?
The alternative route for entry is a negative test result, where it states PCR or antigen taken less than 24 hours (! a challenge if you want to travel early boxing day morning!)- question is can you use the home self swab antigen tests that you upload for checking and receive a result certificate by return email ?

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 7-11-21 19:12; edited 5 times in total
snow report
@shardoski, good luck!!!
snow conditions
I don't really see this as good news for families of single vaxxed teens, or for the resorts.
It doesn't allow forward planning of holidays because who knows what infection rates will be weeks or months ahead. If booking through Tour Ops, what are the conditions re. cancellation if the PS suddenly comes into play?
And resorts don't know so what is the incentive to invest in extra testing facilities?
And how will it be enforced and carried out in practice, if the PS cannot be enforced when passes are bought? Let's say levels hit 202 on a Thursday...do they suddenly start checking PS on the lifts the following day? I can only see massive queues, particularly in peak weeks. And do they then stop 72 hours later, if levels drop to 198?
latest report
@NickyJ, Problem would be proving it as you wouldn't get a QR code for the second vaccination....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
backhojo wrote:
what is to stop you creating a PS on the app using someone elses barcode from an nhs app. theoretically you could get an 18yr old who is double vaccinated to create a PS for their younger sibling. if you then make the qr code in the french app appear full screen it doesn't even show the date of birth. even if the dob is shown who is to know if the sibling is only a couple of years younger surely a lifty is not gonna have the time to compute the age or would not question it. Eh oh!

The QR code data, which is encrypted, will have to correspond to the passport data when the passport and vaccination certificate are scanned at immigration. The QR code data is substantial and includes DoB, name and sex. It isn't in plaintext form, so you can't identify the content in order to edit it. You would then be left trying to explain to a foreign immigration official why the two don't match. Moreover, given the airlines' liability, I'm assuming they'd make this check at check-in and if there's an anomaly, you'd be turned away.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sun 7-11-21 19:23; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@snowhound, depends where you are going, if you did this (with an approved vaccine) and came to Austria as long as you have written proof in English or German it would fulfil the requirements here.
snow conditions
NickyJ wrote:
Just wondering randomly- apologies If this question has already been asked…. Is there mechanism to take our children to Europe and pay for the second covid vaccine? Thus then allowing them the freedoms allowed to those children with the second vaccine?
Had a friend who flew her teen to the States at half term for a vaccine. Dual citizenship though and the funds to do it.
snow conditions
LaForet wrote:
backhojo wrote:
what is to stop you creating a PS on the app using someone elses barcode from an nhs app. theoretically you could get an 18yr old who is double vaccinated to create a PS for their younger sibling. if you then make the qr code in the french app appear full screen it doesn't even show the date of birth. even if the dob is shown who is to know if the sibling is only a couple of years younger surely a lifty is not gonna have the time to compute the age or would not question it. Eh oh!

The QR code data, which is encrypted, will have to correspond to the passport data when the passport and vaccination certificate are scanned at immigration. The QR code data is substantial and includes DoB, name and sex. It isn't in plaintext form, so you can't identify the content in order to edit it. You would then be left trying to explain to a foreign immigration official why the two don't match. Moreover, given the airlines' liability, I'm assuming they'd make this check at check-in and if there's an anomaly, you'd be turned away.

but its my understanding that PS is not shown at immigration. Unvacinated teens can travel with fully vaccinated adults and dont need proof of anything to travel. we woudl be driving and using the tunnel. Its onky relevant to us for the ski lift as we dont use restaurants and me or my wife will do the shopping,
ski holidays
@backhojo, that is my understanding and my only concern also.
snow report
Layne wrote:
@backhojo, that is my understanding and my only concern also.

although they do need a PCR / LFT 24hrs prior to travel. this is tricky as there is a narrow window of opportunity. is it 24hrs from the result or 24hrs from when the test is taken - there can be a 24hr delay in getting the test processed so getting the timing right is tricky
snow conditions
@Layne, Me too. As long as I can get them on the lifts-all the lifts-we can live without bars, restaurants. Pity for the owners as we usually use them quite a bit, but c'est la vie.
@backhojo, Agreed (again). Given the PS only kicks in when rates hit 200+, they can't ask for proof when the passes are actually bought. So that implies they would need to be checked for PS at the lifts when rates hit 200-and only those which are covered. So how can a liftie check that a QR code actually matches to a particular person? Surely, it just scans and gives a valide/non valide?
ski holidays
Do you guys not plan even stopping for a coffee/drink at anytime? Or using the Café loos? All of these potentially will need the PS.

By the sounds of it my twin girls will be double jabbed, so fine. I’m just hoping I can get the infected and infected and recovered cert for my lad so we can avoid testing.
ski holidays
@Timmycb5, I'd like to....but if it's not possible, then so be it. We self cater, and will just spend the cafe money on the necessary tests if we have to go down that route. But again, I have no idea how they might enforce this in situ. Without an app, show your papers every time you go inside? Could my daughter show my wife's QR code....how could it be linked to whose code it actually is?
snow conditions
@backhojo, We're flying to Geneva, and then self driving into France. No test needed for U16 to fly to Switzerland, and all the experience of posters on here is that there are no checks at the Swiss/France border.
ski holidays
Timmycb5 wrote:
Do you guys not plan even stopping for a coffee/drink at anytime? Or using the Café loos? All of these potentially will need the PS.

By the sounds of it my twin girls will be double jabbed, so fine. I’m just hoping I can get the infected and infected and recovered cert for my lad so we can avoid testing.

in 20years of skiing i have never stopped for coffee...we go to ski not drink ! we carry snacks and have a camebak with water (and a hip flask for "port o clock" Eh oh! ).
as my teenager is a boy then he can pee behind a tree. my wife has a covid pass.
if your twins are double jabbed they will still not get a covid pass if they are under 16 as NHS app doesnt give QR codes to under 16s
snow conditions
snowhound wrote:
@backhojo, We're flying to Geneva, and then self driving into France. No test needed for U16 to fly to Switzerland, and all the experience of posters on here is that there are no checks at the Swiss/France border.

travel is not the issue, although getting a test 24hrs before travel is a pain,. its once in resort that we hit the problems !
what is your "plan B" should the infection rate go up and border checks be introduced ?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy