Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomiti superski 2021/2

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks Folks….we are going regardless so will just try and avoid as much as possible and stick with gondolas, we are a party of 8 so should be able to fill out own.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
CP wrote:
Holly101 wrote:
Are they packing them in to the cable cars or are they being sensible?

Well last week the cable car up and down from Campitello was pretty jam packed most trips. Most people are sporting FFP2 masks or something that looks like one. Of note we saw at least 3 ski instructors with their masks down below their chins while gassing to their clients on the cable cars. All gondolas had signage to encourage 80% occupancy and those coming out of towns had someone checking that masks were being worn before getting on the lift. Chairlift behaviour and checking was very random, but it was very quiet with little to no queues encountered.

Both my Son and I have had negative LFT checks after returning home.

Finally we did not have our Super Green Pass checked at any mountain restaurant all week and we ate inside most lunchtimes.

It's quite a safe assumption that if you are on the mountain, you have a ski pass and if you have a ski pass, you have a SuperGreen pass. wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How's the piste holding up?

I was there from the 9th to the 16th and conditions were excellent for a piste cruiser such as myself. Thinking of returning on the 5th of Feb for a week or so but I'm slightly concerned by the lack of new snow.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was there 8-15, have to say some of the nicest slopes ive skied, would have been ace if there was some fresh snow as the base was a little crispy, but mighty impressed.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
First day skiing today, did the marmolada - incredible. (icy in sections, but still, incredible).

Piste’s are in peak conditions (pardon the pun wink )

Buzzing for BB. Not looking forward to the hangovers Embarassed

Looking forward to seeing everybody again, will be on peak form (pardon the pun wink )

Thank you SH’s for all your help. Peace and love to you all.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Isnt the James Bond run, La Longia in St Christina?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just home today due to Innsbruck issues on Saturday
On piste skiing was in great nick up to Friday
Bit cold and windy but lots of sun
Cant see conditions deteriorating anytime soon
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sarny wrote:
Isnt the James Bond run, La Longia in St Christina?

Yes..
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The ski runs should be just fine as long as it remains cool and dry. Eventually the sun will start to deteriorate south facing runs but that is not really until late February. They made enough snow in December to last the whole season. New snow now would get skied off within a day unless it is a heavy fall. Weather still looking good into February.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all the info guys, given the company I'm with & the situation with the buses, I think I'll give it a miss this time, tho' sounds interesting.

To those asking about conditions etc out here, on piste is great & not too crowded providing you steer clear of the Sella Ronda connections. They are still packing peeps pretty densely in the telepheriques, Gondolas are limited to 6 or 9 etc reduced according to their normal capacity.

On piste is great & all restaurants operating normally, off piste is limited to non existant

Busy? I came the same week around 4 or 5 years ago & I'd say current no.'s are around 20 - 30% down, actually makes for a more pleasant experience & less chopped up runs. Places that are away from the circuit like Buffaure or off to the side of Plan Grabba, or off to side of Arabba are really quiet.

Did the James Bond 10.5km red today, fantastic conditions & fairly quiet but still about a 15 minute Q on the snd lift back up
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sean1967 wrote:
CP wrote:
Holly101 wrote:

Well last week the cable car up and down from Campitello was pretty jam packed most trips. Most people are sporting FFP2 masks or something that looks like one. Of note we saw at least 3 ski instructors with their masks down below their chins while gassing to their clients on the cable cars. All gondolas had signage to encourage 80% occupancy and those coming out of towns had someone checking that masks were being worn before getting on the lift. Chairlift behaviour and checking was very random, but it was very quiet with little to no queues encountered.

Finally we did not have our Super Green Pass checked at any mountain restaurant all week and we ate inside most lunchtimes.

It's quite a safe assumption that if you are on the mountain, you have a ski pass and if you have a ski pass, you have a SuperGreen pass. wink

You'd think that wouldn't you, but we were there last week and we got our SuperGreen status checked in several huts at lunchtime. In Rifugio Boe it was especially worrying as we couldn't get phone signals so the NHS app wouldn't show our status. All fixed once we connected to the hut wifi.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Valkyrie wrote:
… we got our SuperGreen status checked in several huts at lunchtime. In Rifugio Boe it was especially worrying as we couldn't get phone signals so the NHS app wouldn't show our status. All fixed once we connected to the hut wifi.

That’s why it seems wise to have an off-line copy of your NHS QR code on your phone or (shock, horror Toofy Grin ) a printed copy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Valkyrie wrote:
sean1967 wrote:
CP wrote:
Holly101 wrote:

You'd think that wouldn't you, but we were there last week and we got our SuperGreen status checked in several huts at lunchtime. In Rifugio Boe it was especially worrying as we couldn't get phone signals so the NHS app wouldn't show our status. All fixed once we connected to the hut wifi.

I'll steer clear of there when I'm back in 10 days time. snowHead Punta Trieste is my spot theses days, lamb chops, ribeyes or tomahawks of veal on the terrace with a glug of the pinot nero.

I printed off and laminated 3 credit card sized copies of my QR code for vaccine 3 with a scan of my licence on the back. One lives in my wallet, one lives between my phone and its case and the other is attached to the inside pocket zip of my jacket. I was thinking about just getting a tattoo on the foredome but I think my wee passes are enough contingency.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We are here in Selva, conditions on piste are excellent if you can avoid the Ronda.
Masks on lifts are required, some lifties are very vigilant, even blowing whistles to alert wrongdooers, and today the gondola operators closed gates to stop rampaging punters over filling the cabins.
We have had our super green pass checked in most places, but if they recognize you will by pass the formal electronic test.
It does seem to have picked up in the last few days, our hotelier says it’s mostly short stay locals, so weekends get busier.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Super useful in this thread, thanks all.

Heading to Corvara on Saturday, cannot wait, and sounds like there will be plenty of you around!

In our group will be my sister-in-law who I’d say is probably early intermediate but not higher than that, though she has survived Tignes which I think like-for-like is much harder than anywhere in Alta Badia.

I’m wondering about taking her on the Super 8. I did the Hidden Valley when I was a similar standard and found it largely fine - is there anything else on the Super 8 route that is more difficult? From what I can tell it doesn’t look bad at all, but just want to be sure on the Croda Negra in particular. Looks like the Hidden Valley is more difficult than the rest of the Super 8? I’ve been assuming though that the anti-clockwise/green Sella Ronda might be a step too far for her, but good to hear if anyone has thoughts.

Finally - I’m assuming the taxis and horse tow give change if required? Been so long since I’ve had to use cash…

Thanks for any help! And @Peter_S - loving the weekly conditions updates!
snow report
re Super 8

As an intermediate, personally I found the top of piste 90 from Nuvalao the most challenging section of Cinque Torri and probably of our whole week in that area (maybe daunting is a better word but one of those sections when you look down first of all and think "oh" and then see the only other skiers on the piste falling over but realise you have to do it to get back to the car Shocked Smile ).

We skied it a few times and at the top there is a fairly short stretch (maybe 200m but my memory could be playing tricks on me!) which seemed narrow, bumpy and icy when we did it both in the morning and afternoon, it was quite windy when we were there and it's an exposed section in a narrow pass so the top cover just blew off. I saw people struggling (and falling) on this even when it was very quiet so hadn't had much traffic. Hopefully someone who has been recently may be able to give more up to date information as it may have been improved to accomodate increased volumes from the new Cortina lift, or we may have just been unlucky with the weather.
latest report
richb67 wrote:
re Super 8

As an intermediate, personally I found the top of piste 90 from Nuvalao the most challenging section of Cinque Torri and probably of our whole week in that area (maybe daunting is a better word but one of those sections when you look down first of all and think "oh" and then see the only other skiers on the piste falling over but realise you have to do it to get back to the car Shocked Smile ).

We skied it a few times and at the top there is a fairly short stretch (maybe 200m but my memory could be playing tricks on me!) which seemed narrow, bumpy and icy when we did it both in the morning and afternoon, it was quite windy when we were there and it's an exposed section in a narrow pass so the top cover just blew off. I saw people struggling (and falling) on this even when it was very quiet so hadn't had much traffic. Hopefully someone who has been recently may be able to give more up to date information as it may have been improved to accomodate increased volumes from the new Cortina lift, or we may have just been unlucky with the weather.

Skied Cinque Torri last week and as usual the piste conditions were excellent. I can't say I noticed any additional masses coming from Cortina to what we have experienced in the past.

The top of the piste ( 90 ) from Averau down to the Croda Negra chairlift was in very good condition this time although I have experienced it being a bit slick towards the end of the season in the mornings.
snow conditions
@CP,
Quote:

I can't say I noticed any additional masses coming from Cortina to what we have experienced in the past.

That's good news, I was worried about extra traffic.
snow conditions
Thanks very much guys, good advice. I’ll take her down the reds in the Edelweiss valley and around Col Alt etc and see how we go! Can always just do the Lagazuoi/Hidden Valley run only of the Super 8.
ski holidays
forwardrupert wrote:
Thanks very much guys, good advice. I’ll take her down the reds in the Edelweiss valley and around Col Alt etc and see how we go! Can always just do the Lagazuoi/Hidden Valley run only of the Super 8.

That would be a shame not to fit in at least one lap around Cinque Torri, I actually thinks it’s better than the hidden valley run. Also I think for an intermediate or nervous skier that the first pitch down from the cable car at Lagazuoi has to be as much, if not more, of a challenge than the top of red 90.
ski holidays
CP wrote:
forwardrupert wrote:

That would be a shame not to fit in at least one lap around Cinque Torri, I actually thinks it’s better than the hidden valley run. Also I think for an intermediate or nervous skier that the first pitch down from the cable car at Lagazuoi has to be as much, if not more, of a challenge than the top of red 90.
agreed in every detail
ski holidays
Great that’s clear, thanks. My memory might be a bit hazy but I don’t remember that first bit of Lagazuoi being bad at all, pretty similar to the initial steep section immediately coming off the top of the Col Alt gondola in Corvara. We’ll see how we go - she’s got some private lessons on the first few days which will help with confidence and we can always separate - I’m very keen to try Cinque Torri for the first time and your recommendations reinforce that!
snow report
It is steep but wide and flattens quickly, traversable with one turn on the steep I'd say
ski holidays
Dolomite newby here. What weather pattern/flow does the Dolomites area rely on for fresh snow? Appears to be quite dry on the forecasts whereas just into Austria heavy snow is due. Assume most does not make it over the peaks.

Puzzled Puzzled
latest report
Yep. That’s why they get so much sunshine. Most of their snow* comes when storms make their way up from the south.

* or maybe better put as most of their heavy snowfall.
latest report
Quote:

What weather pattern/flow does the Dolomites area rely on for fresh snow?

It doesn't, they make it themselves.
ski holidays
Daily trip around the Webcams -- I see the Seceda area is closed ; suspect high wind (as reported by Alastair Pink elsewhere..)
ski holidays
Yep was howling wind yesterday, pretty dramatic stuff!
Got back from 6th visit yesterday, i picked up a case of slight food poisoning so it was kinda exhausting this year. Pistes were perfect. Probably 20/30% fewer people id say, eg i often have to get back to Selva from Corvara and normally late afternoon that is a bit of fiasco, icy, bumpy, lots of people but it was very quiet this year. Did a trip out to Val di Fassa, pretty much for one on my fav pistes in the whole area, black 1b Volcano which is just amazing and normally deserted. Also went out to Lagazoi and down to Cinque Torre, i had no idea about the link to Cortina! I went for a look but it was getting late, next time Very Happy Start early and thats definitely another day out to add to the list! Took a €7 cab back to Armentarolla rather than do the Hidden Valley...for the time/hassle and not exactly stellar skiing i just dont think its worth it.
Didnt see one canon blowing all week. I did see a huge truck/crane thingy dump a load of snow by my garni on the Nives slope which the piste basher then worked into the nursery slope. Slightly weird, never seen that before, better carbon footprint for sure!
Town incredibly quiet and sad to see the Goalies is no more. They always had some wicked tunes on in there, for men of a certain age!
Had a total nightmare with the green pass/validation thing at first. Like a good boy i had my certificates on my green pass - except you cannot tranfer this to the Dolomiti Superski app to validate. If there isnt one of the scanning boxes where you are this is a hassle. In this case youll need a pdf with QR code on your phone cos like i say you cant upload the cert from the green pass to the Dolomiti app and if you dont have a pdf its a total PITA.
Food poisoning aside, another wonderful trip to the best ski area in the world. Every year i hear the same thing...chatting with people, who have been everywhere - Whistler, 3 Vallees, Zermatt, Japan, Arlberg, all the biggies - and they say the same thing, nothing compares to the Dolomites Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Does anyone know if the conditions will hold up for the Feb half term 19-26 Feb. I know there's hardly any snow forecast and we can't make are minds to go to Austria or Selva?
snow conditions
@shiva_71, I see you're Austria based. For the UK based amongst us, the PDF is a simple download straight out of the NHS app, and then upload straight into the Dolomitiski app. I'd say a 1-2 minute job on the first day, and then after that, you probably had the same experience, a 10-20 second job every morning to revalidate.
snow report
shiva_71 wrote:
Yep was howling wind yesterday, pretty dramatic stuff!
Got back from 6th visit yesterday, i picked up a case of slight food poisoning so it was kinda exhausting this year. Pistes were perfect. Probably 20/30% fewer people id say, eg i often have to get back to Selva from Corvara and normally late afternoon that is a bit of fiasco, icy, bumpy, lots of people but it was very quiet this year. Did a trip out to Val di Fassa, pretty much for one on my fav pistes in the whole area, black 1b Volcano which is just amazing and normally deserted. Also went out to Lagazoi and down to Cinque Torre, i had no idea about the link to Cortina! I went for a look but it was getting late, next time Very Happy Start early and thats definitely another day out to add to the list! Took a €7 cab back to Armentarolla rather than do the Hidden Valley...for the time/hassle and not exactly stellar skiing i just dont think its worth it.
Didnt see one canon blowing all week. I did see a huge truck/crane thingy dump a load of snow by my garni on the Nives slope which the piste basher then worked into the nursery slope. Slightly weird, never seen that before, better carbon footprint for sure!
Town incredibly quiet and sad to see the Goalies is no more. They always had some wicked tunes on in there, for men of a certain age!
Had a total nightmare with the green pass/validation thing at first. Like a good boy i had my certificates on my green pass - except you cannot tranfer this to the Dolomiti Superski app to validate. If there isnt one of the scanning boxes where you are this is a hassle. In this case youll need a pdf with QR code on your phone cos like i say you cant upload the cert from the green pass to the Dolomiti app and if you dont have a pdf its a total PITA.
Food poisoning aside, another wonderful trip to the best ski area in the world. Every year i hear the same thing...chatting with people, who have been everywhere - Whistler, 3 Vallees, Zermatt, Japan, Arlberg, all the biggies - and they say the same thing, nothing compares to the Dolomites Very Happy Very Happy

Goalie's was sold a few years ago and changed name to Greens. Drinks are still good but they've refurbed the place and I don't particularly like it.

Good to hear the pistes are in decent shape, I'm thinking of going back around the 10th.
snow conditions
swskier wrote:
@shiva_71, I see you're Austria based. For the UK based amongst us, the PDF is a simple download straight out of the NHS app, and then upload straight into the Dolomitiski app. I'd say a 1-2 minute job on the first day, and then after that, you probably had the same experience, a 10-20 second job every morning to revalidate.

Cheers, the lifty guy did it for me the first morning and yes after that super easy. On issue was that you can't take a screenshot from the green pass app of the qr code. Just seems like a bad system, if they are insisting everyone has their certificates on the green pass but then the dolomiti app no way to access that...anyway, it worked in he end Very Happy
latest report
sean1967 wrote:

Goalie's was sold a few years ago and changed name to Greens. Drinks are still good but they've refurbed the place and I don't particularly like it.

Good to hear the pistes are in decent shape, I'm thinking of going back around the 10th.

Yeah its a pity. Not a really an Irish pub fan but I liked that place, nice staff, great tunes. Its amazing how few places there are in Selva for a few pre dinner beers!
snow report
The wind coming over Dantercepies ridge on Thurs was wicked. Bits of snow and ice coming off the slope and blasting any exposed skin. Ex. Goalies bar was dead all last week. La Stua and Saltos were good. Kronestrube and Luiskeller not exactly buzzing.
ski holidays
shiva_71 wrote:
sean1967 wrote:

Yeah its a pity. Not a really an Irish pub fan but I liked that place, nice staff, great tunes. Its amazing how few places there are in Selva for a few pre dinner beers!

It's a real shame what happened to Goalie's. I like La Stua and Saltos but there's definitely room for another boozer. Who wants to invest in Selva Sean's Irish Pub?
I like to stay as late as possible in the Panorama Bar, last drinks after Con Te Partiro and then float down Dantercepies into Saltos.

Weather forecast is a shade hot for my liking next week....
latest report
@sean1967, My mates and I have never clicked with La Stua. It always appears busy, but inside it's all couples and small groups sat in huddles and outside is a cloud of fag smoke. Confused
Kronestrube can be good when it kicks off, likewise downstairs (Luiskeller) when there's a good gang in ( 20 something Icelandics or the Dutch female ice hockey/ curling/ nordic skiing/ volleyball....it changes every year Razz ) are in.

Saltos can kick off and be great. Oz the manager is good at building the atmosphere with the right application of music and free shots.
snow report
@sean1967, Con Te Partiro, whats that? I actually bumped into the owner of the Panorama, he said I should drop by which i did. Nice place. What time do they shut? Yeah did Dantecerpies about 4.40pm, only person on the piste...wow what a feeling!!
Sounds like you enjoy the full on apres thing, not exactly spoiled for choice in Selva!! Its your skis I see outside Loiskeller at 10pm? Very Happy
snow conditions
shiva_71 wrote:
I actually bumped into the owner of the Panorama, Very Happy

He's an older fellow who wears a small black mountain goat on his head which could be mistaken for a wig.
snow report
So what’s the lift queue like in La Villa (bottom of gran risa) and San cassiano? These are always a huge crush of people -20 cm distance impossible let alone 2m? Are they enforcing distancing somehow or is it usual scrum situation?

And can someone explain how you upload your QR code to the pass? Do you have to scan it from the Dolomiti Superski app? Does each person need the app or can you have more than one pass registered?
ski holidays
Petra wrote:
And can someone explain how you upload your QR code to the pass? Do you have to scan it from the Dolomiti Superski app? Does each person need the app or can you have more than one pass registered?

Upload a copy of the QR code in to the app. I downloaded my QR code from the NHS England app, and link it up to the ski pass.

You can add a number ski passes on to one persons app, and individually revalidate each one all in the same app. We didn't do that, we just had the app on both our phones and did our own validations.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy