Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another helmet thread, Covid related

Poster: A snowHead
sugardaddy wrote:
Ski with the mask on your chin?

holidayloverxx wrote:
@sugardaddy, mask on chin, pulled up on lift

@sugardaddy, Helmet or beenie, it's the same. You don't want to be faffing with taking the mask off and put in a pocket with a gloved hand! The simplest is pull it down on the chin.

As others pointed out, there're various improvement you can adopt to make that process even more comfortable.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 28-09-21 23:28; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@sugardaddy, There are masks like this, may not count for Austria though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
esaw1 wrote:
@Mr.Egg, You should market them. I'd be up for a few pairs!!

It's not my design, so not going to steal someone's work for profit.
I can knock a few pairs out for you though. They take about 2 hrs to print per pair though - so dont ask for a silly amount Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
albob wrote:
Buff do a 'Covid' buff

https://www.climbers-shop.com/clothing/face-masks/buff-filter-tube--cashmere-black__11108263?currency=GBP&chosenAttribute=80002463%20XS/S

Been scrolling through this thread hoping someone would post something like this! So thank you!

It could do with a stamp or logo on it to indicate that it's covid safe, just in case any zealous liftie won't accept it
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rjs, @Handy Turnip, none of these are suitable for Austrian requirements. It must be FFP2 masks, not likely to change as this has been the mask of choice for the authorities for some time and there is a real concern that people are kept as safe as possible. Austria can do without another load of bad publicity like the Ischgl fiasco.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Chris_n, interesting. I assume all FFP2 masks have an obvious stamp to easily identify them as such.

Be interesting to see how tightly that is enforced in reality. Airlines required FFP2 masks for flights, so I bought some especially. As it happens, as long as people were wearing masks, they didn't care what they were.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Handy Turnip, mine has FFP2 printed on the it
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Handy Turnip, All FFP2 masks have to be stamped as such – it's an international standard. The cheap ones you can buy in the supermarkets are all the same shape so easily recognised. Currently, all flights operating in/out of Austria require all passengers to wear FFP2 masks. Lufthansa/Austrian is checking this rigorously, and any passengers without will be running around the airport trying to buy them before the plane departs.

Ski lifts are a different story.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Makes sense @Scarlet, sounds like Lufthansa/Austrian are being a lot more strict on this than easyJet were last month!

I'm off to France rather Austria this winter so it'll be interesting to see how their approach compares
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Handy Turnip wrote:
sounds like Lufthansa/Austrian are being a lot more strict on this than easyJet were last month!

The rule only came in 2 weeks ago, so Easyjet would have had no reason to be more strict.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Scarlet wrote:
Handy Turnip wrote:
sounds like Lufthansa/Austrian are being a lot more strict on this than easyJet were last month!

The rule only came in 2 weeks ago, so Easyjet would have had no reason to be more strict.

Ahhh makes sense! easyJet had their own rules regarding having FFP2 masks on flights, and have had for some time (they just didn't enforce them!). I think quite a few airlines, including Austrian, have had them in place since Jan. So where are these new rules coming from? Austrian govt?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes Austrian government.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Chris_n, cheers
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FFP2 masks were reintroduced as mandatory from 15th September for all forms of public transport. There may have been a bit of a lag on various non-Austrian air carriers. The vast majority of air travellers at Vienna, when I came through, were wearing FFP2 masks and there were regular announcements reminding folk of the latest mask regulations (as there were on all the trains and stations).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
i was yesterday in HIntertux...
i have used a FFP2 mask with this elastic band round the head.
In Gondola i had tha mask as usual....for skiing i have put it in kean und cover it with the buff (it is not necessary but you will avoid to loose it)
And always a 2nd one in the pocket.
didnt bothered at all...if the season so stay, and the only problem is this i will be very happy
snow conditions
Can anyone advise if any FFP2 masks are re-usable and links to purchase them?
latest report
nahdendee wrote:

No, they are not designed to be reused (though everybody does). If you need them for Austria, just buy a couple for your journey if you’re flying, and then once you arrive you can buy them in any supermarket for 0.59€. Try a pharmacy or DIY shop.
latest report
nahdendee wrote:

CAmbridge Masks claim to be FFP2 comparable, but I am not sure if there is certified FFP2 or if you can just claim to be FFP2
https://info.cambridgemask.com/hc/en-us/articles/360057201371-What-are-the-differences-between-an-FFP1-FFP2-FFP3-Where-does-Cambridge-Mask-stand-

So prob not worth the hassle.
snow conditions
https://www.screwfix.com/p/disposable-half-masks-p2-5-pack/682kh
Don't get the valved ones, they defeat half of the point of mask wearing.
latest report
Interesting
https://www.skiaustria-shop.at/schlauchschal-mit-maske-filter/5643-16188-schlauschal-mit-integrierter-maske-und-filter-anthrazit.html#/392-farbe-dunkelgrau
latest report
really interesting
i think it would be better if this signs "FFP2 inside" was somewhore on the front of the schal
there will be from the helm covered
latest report
Thanks for the replies. Where do you recommend purchase from in the UK ie pharmacies?
snow report
@nahdendee, I use Medisave, which is a bonafide medical equipment supplier, so I trust that they really are FFP2.

https://www.medisave.co.uk/ffp2-masks-white.html
ski holidays
If you're feeling entrepreneurial, you could buy a 20 or 50 pack, and sell them for a quid to the other people on the flight who forgot/didn't realise it was a thing and are about to be denied boarding Laughing

You'll probably need one per day for yourself if skiing, as they do get a bit manky, but no need to buy loads in advance.
ski holidays
Thanks to all, have now purchased a pack from medisave
snow conditions
Mr.Egg wrote:
nahdendee wrote:

CAmbridge Masks claim to be FFP2 comparable, but I am not sure if there is certified FFP2 or if you can just claim to be FFP2
https://info.cambridgemask.com/hc/en-us/articles/360057201371-What-are-the-differences-between-an-FFP1-FFP2-FFP3-Where-does-Cambridge-Mask-stand-

So prob not worth the hassle.

Having gone all Sturgeon and purchased a Burns Cambridge Mask I can confirm that they are indeed FFP2 certified and even have it discreetly (unfortunately) embroidered on a tag on the mask. Very nice masks with great fit if a bit pricey. I however feel that some disposable FFP2 ones that are clearly marked would be more sensible for anywhere where being questioned about the status of the mask might be really problematic, aka flights and transfers. As such I also purchased a box of FFP2 masks from Medisave.

Finally after waiting for a while for both the scarfs and filters to come into stock at the same time I have purchased one of those Ski Austria Tube scarfs with integrated mask and FFP2 filter things along with a bunch of filters. Not arrived yet so I can't comment on it quite yet.

My plan os disposable ones on flights and transfers etc. where being clearly marked as FFP2 certified will reduced any hassles to a minimum, Cambridge mask for elsewhere and tube with filters for on the slopes. Whole lot has cost the thick end of £100 but skiing was never cheap in the first place.
snow report
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Same way you put sunglasses on. My helmet doesnt cover my ears

apart the mask rules...
Do the rules allow sunglasses with a helmet??? Cool wink
ski holidays
@jabuzzard,
Not noticed a stamp on mine.. Where should I be looking?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mr.Egg wrote:
@jabuzzard,

Well mine has a small embroidery nylon tag that says "Cambridge Mask PRO" on it. On the reverse side it says "CE 0493 M FFP2 RO EN143:2001 +A1:2009" and has some wash symbols in very small writing.
ski holidays
jabuzzard wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
@jabuzzard,

Well mine has a small embroidery nylon tag that says "Cambridge Mask PRO" on it. On the reverse side it says "CE 0493 M FFP2 RO EN143:2001 +A1:2009" and has some wash symbols in very small writing.

so it does! I get a really good fit from mine, so may get another as I am coming up to 90 days
ski holidays
I just can't see how they will enforce it over the course of a season. I think they will have lift lines, especially out of the main centres.

Does anyone know what France are planning?
snow report
Update as my Ski Austria tube scarf has arrived. Hum, it's good when the filter is in position, but pulling the scarf up and down and the filter rapidly gets out of position and is a pain to put back into position. The material of the scarf itself is quite thin. I think I will be sowing in some reinforcing strips so that I can tack a fresh filter in every day.
ski holidays
Ruroc.What about one of these? Will they pass muster as a mask too do you think?
latest report
greengriff wrote:
Ruroc.What about one of these? Will they pass muster as a mask too do you think?

No - they'll pass muster as marking you as a fashion victim though
snow conditions
Fashion victim? It's probably the most practical bit of kit that I own. Has banished damp snoods to the museum corner of my ski loft. When I first got one (circa 2013) people pointed and did Darth Vader impressions, and you could go a whole holiday without seeing another. Now they are a lot more common.
ski holidays
@greengriff, don't get me wrong I get the functionality in extreme environments but most people don't ski in such exposures (hence fashion) and it's somewhat binary protection mask on/off unlike say a buff (which may get soggy and frozen but at least it is versatile - serving as a hat when you take your helmet off/balaclava/neck warmer/pirate accessory/tribal identification token.
latest report
True enough. I tend to ski in January though, and it's been a godsend.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy