Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Electric charging points in France - Driving from UK to Alpes D'Huez

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@BobinCH, how do you get a reduced rate at Ionity , my Taycan is due to turn up in 3 weeks time and that seems to be a heavily discounted rate ? Im currently signing up to all the providers , grisdserve electrocity etc etc
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Taycan owners get 3 years subscription to Ionity (rate £0.30p).

https://www.porsche.com/uk/aboutporsche/e-performance/charging-bev/#road~open
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@gwatts10 don’t use the app use the my Porsche website to sign up, your dealer should help.
If you’ve not looked yet there is a UK Taycan Facebook page that can be useful for information.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We have a model 3 and an ID4. The ID4 is a brilliant car, lovely to drive but I wouldn’t take it on a trip to the Alps. It’s a total faff charging a non Tesla away from home. I did take the Tesla to Serre Chevalier 19 months ago. From the Dundee area. First day we left at 7am and got to St Omer at about 8pm. Next day left about 8am and got to SC at c7pm. It was a total breeze. We were a couple of mid 50’s guys, not in too much of a rush, we only waited on the car charging once. Every other time it was up to 80% and we were still peeing or having a coffee. The BIG advantage the Tesla has is the Tesla planner will tell you how many chargers are available at each station, more or less in real time, so you know what you’re going to. Plus there is no registration required whatsoever, just plug in the charger and walk away. The low temps barely affected the range, surprisingly. We went over Le Grave in a blizzard and 4WD took us straight up and down whilst others were struggling and fitting chains etc. Granted chargers will be busier nearly 2 years on and if you have 4 guys, lots of kit, maybe a roof box the range will drop, perhaps alarmingly. Not taking it these year as the big trip is to the states but I would happily drive again, in fact if going for a long week, leave Friday back the following Sunday, it would be my preferred option. I don’t particularly like flying, airports, hanging about etc and we found it interesting and relaxing.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Do you want to borrow my diesel suv Laughing - one tank of gas each way
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Fifespud wrote:
We have a model 3 and an ID4. The ID4 is a brilliant car, lovely to drive but I wouldn’t take it on a trip to the Alps. It’s a total faff charging a non Tesla away from home. I did take the Tesla to Serre Chevalier 19 months ago. From the Dundee area. First day we left at 7am and got to St Omer at about 8pm. Next day left about 8am and got to SC at c7pm. It was a total breeze. We were a couple of mid 50’s guys, not in too much of a rush, we only waited on the car charging once. Every other time it was up to 80% and we were still peeing or having a coffee. The BIG advantage the Tesla has is the Tesla planner will tell you how many chargers are available at each station, more or less in real time, so you know what you’re going to. Plus there is no registration required whatsoever, just plug in the charger and walk away. The low temps barely affected the range, surprisingly. We went over Le Grave in a blizzard and 4WD took us straight up and down whilst others were struggling and fitting chains etc. Granted chargers will be busier nearly 2 years on and if you have 4 guys, lots of kit, maybe a roof box the range will drop, perhaps alarmingly. Not taking it these year as the big trip is to the states but I would happily drive again, in fact if going for a long week, leave Friday back the following Sunday, it would be my preferred option. I don’t particularly like flying, airports, hanging about etc and we found it interesting and relaxing.

We are in your neck of the woods in Angus - interesting to read your experiences - we have a standard tesla Model 3 and a diesel audi. Just debating between an i-pace, EV6, ID4 and extended range model 3 to replace our Audi. Primary consideration whether we can drive it over to the Alps in a reasonable time frame with our two kids. Think your post has swung it in favour of a second Tesla, could I ask if you have any experience of crossing at Dover vs Newcastle? We drove to dover over the summer ( would not let us board at newcastle due to dutch restrictions) - it was quite a good run but the return leg in the North of England was painful and slow.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Rookiescot, I do East Lothian to Folkestone regularly (not in an EV) and it's not too bad - something like 8 hrs driving plus stops. Cross the channel & stop the the night near Calais. The trick is to work out how to miss rush hour at Newcastle and/or London. Trouble is being in Angus you've got another 2 hours to go....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Rookiescot, rumours are that the Y order book might open up soon in the UK! I do agree the Tesla charging network is very advantageous, but others like Instavolt are coming on strong!

Also noticed this for frequent EV travellers https://insideevs.com/news/538946/ionity-passport-charging-network-subscription/
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
After quick google - Twsla has 600 sites in Europe, Ionity has 400.

Tesla is also supposed to open their supercharger network to non-teslas
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Rookiescot wrote:
Fifespud wrote:

We are in your neck of the woods in Angus - interesting to read your experiences - we have a standard tesla Model 3 and a diesel audi. Just debating between an i-pace, EV6, ID4 and extended range model 3 to replace our Audi. Primary consideration whether we can drive it over to the Alps in a reasonable time frame with our two kids. Think your post has swung it in favour of a second Tesla, could I ask if you have any experience of crossing at Dover vs Newcastle? We drove to dover over the summer ( would not let us board at newcastle due to dutch restrictions) - it was quite a good run but the return leg in the North of England was painful and slow.

We went through the tunnel - no experience of Newcastle. On the way down we stopped at Penrith, Grantham then charged at Eurotunnel. All Superchargers. It was pushing it a bit. We missed the Grantham charger and after turning back we arrived with a SOC of 3% - wasn’t that scary though. You know the charger is working and there are vacant slots. We then headed to near Lille that night and stayed at a hotel with a destination charger. We stopped more frequently through France but we only waited once on the car reaching the required SOC, funnily enough at the first stop at Penrith. There were only 2 of us in the car but we weren’t driving slowly. I really enjoyed the journey as I said.
The ID4 is a great car, extremely comfortable and we needed a car to transport our dogs - couldn’t wait any longer for a Y. However charging in the wild on non Tesla chargers only is pretty scary. Charge Place Scotland is very hit and miss. You can see when you pull into a supercharger station there are maybe 12 bays and maybe only 2 non SC chargers, 1 of which is broken. It’s probs better in Europe, I don’t know, and chargers are getting more numerous all the time, but so many folks are buying ID’s, Hyundai’s and Kia’s etc - not quickly enough IMO. There hardly any 150KW out there, never mind 350KW. Plus you need a wallet full of plastic cards to work the damn things. Should all be contactless.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@kitenski....must have a look, I though it had been kicked into the long grass for now.... tempted by the 7 seat option for all the kids rugby/hockey/footie pickups thanks
@fifespud thanks for the info.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 7-10-21 15:26; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Fifespud, do you use any of the apps like Zap-Map to check current usage, if working etc of charge stations?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski wrote:
@Fifespud, do you use any of the apps like Zap-Map to check current usage, if working etc of charge stations?

@kitenski I do look at Zap-Map and Chargemap but they are reliant on EV drivers logging in and reporting operating status. The original cohort of EV owners, the early adopters, were more likely to do this in my experience. My wife, for example, wouldn’t know, or even want to know, how to do all that. It would be fairly simple to get the API from the charge place providers and map it all in real time, as Tesla do but to my knowledge nobody is doing it. Getting to a charger and finding the 150 KW is down, then having to wait half an hour for the 50 KW to come free is pretty frustrating when you’ve got your channel crossing booked.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Haha, range anxiety. Exactly why I don't own an EV.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skimachine wrote:
Haha, range anxiety. Exactly why I don't own an EV.

I prefer to call it charging anxiety.

I'm 100% for EVs, but the public charging infrastructure is a little spotty right now. If you lived in the Netherlands, you're laughing, as there are more than 60k public charging points vs 24k in the whole of the UK. And Greece only has 300 public points...

On the plus side, there's a clear market for public charging now, so more companies like Allego and ChargePoint are going to be investing millions in fast charging, i.e. above 100 kw. And once you get used to Ionity or Supercharger charge times you won't stand for less. At the same time, the BPs and Totals are going to have to put in lots of charge points at their motorway stations.

Bottom line is we plan on waiting until after 2025 to go electric, at least for a car we'd use for road trips.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy