Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Electric charging points in France - Driving from UK to Alpes D'Huez

Poster: A snowHead
Hi
We are driving to Alpes D'Huez next April from Liverpool. We are going in an all electric car and just wondered if anyone had any experiences about charging cars in France. Out car can do over 200 miles however we would not want to go more than 200 miles per each charge. We will have an app which will indicate where they are and I will pre-plan our stops, fingers crossed it all goes ok but I just wondered if anyone has already done this and how they got on?

By the way the reason we are driving is because flights for 5 of us from Liverpool to Geneva on 9th April for one week incl bags is in excess of £2000 and I reckon I can get there via euro tunnel, one nights stay on the way there and on the return for about £700.

Thanks in advance!

George
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@holyjaspers, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

I can't help you with your question as I don't (yet) have an EV, but hopefully some more knowledgeable sHs will be along shortly. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

http://youtube.com/v/vhHV1Bi1WTQ

Tesla, and a prat, but I think its worth a watch.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
One word of caution the EV charge points at the motorway service stations appear to be hogged by the Dutch! The twice we stopped last month ( loo's and
for diesel) on both occasions all the chargers were occupied and with cars waiting! and that was on a Tuesday.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boredsurfin wrote:
One word of caution the EV charge points at the motorway service stations appear to be hogged by the Dutch! The twice we stopped last month ( loo's and
for diesel) on both occasions all the chargers were occupied and with cars waiting! and that was on a Tuesday.

The max verstappen effect Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@holyjaspers, one of our usual group drove from the Lake District to La Grave (a little further along the same valley as Alpe d’Huez) in his Tesla a couple of years ago. No problem
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
holyjaspers wrote:
Hi
We are driving to Alpes D'Huez next April from Liverpool. We are going in an all electric car and just wondered if anyone had any experiences about charging cars in France. Out car can do over 200 miles however we would not want to go more than 200 miles per each charge. We will have an app which will indicate where they are and I will pre-plan our stops, fingers crossed it all goes ok but I just wondered if anyone has already done this and how they got on?

By the way the reason we are driving is because flights for 5 of us from Liverpool to Geneva on 9th April for one week incl bags is in excess of £2000 and I reckon I can get there via euro tunnel, one nights stay on the way there and on the return for about £700.

Thanks in advance!

George

What car do you have? We recently did Calais to Switzerland using the Ionity 350kWh chargers and it went smoothly. Check the Ionity website for the locations. We didn’t have to queue. If I were you I’d plan the route in advance, check the chargers your car suggests are high speed, and (top tip) make sure they are on the right side of the road!!! On google maps (I think) it show up to date charger availability so you can check how busy the chargers are a few weeks before by checking at the times you’ll be travelling. If they are busy maybe have a backup option just in case. And if you are stopping overnight en Route make sure your accommodation has a charger or even just a mains socket you can use. Carry an extension cable and French adapter. Good luck!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

The twice we stopped last month ( loo's and

I have got to ask what is the significance of Tuesdays?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boredsurfin wrote:

This.

We stopped the other day at a services. 4 bay charging area, all used. 5 cars waiting. We took the dogs for a walk, went in and had some lunch etc. We were 1 hour 15 mins and when we got back to our car, the same 4 were charging and there same 5 were waiting, plus another 3.

So Be Nice please! that for a game of soldiers, they will have had a 3 hour wait to charge up!!!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Please note, I am not anti EV. I looked at a Tesla last year, amdlong range one. I used thier website to plan my usual journey to our ski place, and if everything went as planned, it would be an additional 6.5 hours on the trip.

So I am sticking with my old V8.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That’s the first one out of Calais. At 18:55 on a Monday evening 4 out 4 of the 350kWh chargers available.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@BobinCH, didn't know Google maps did availability, cheers! been using Zap-Map

Although a quick look at a local Instavolt doesn't show availability, so seems to be an Ionity link with Google maps.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
johnE wrote:
Quote:

The twice we stopped last month ( loo's and

I have got to ask what is the significance of Tuesdays?

Imaigne it on a friday or a saturday swap over day when trying to get up the mountain.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This @johnE, ^
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Input your car details and start and stop destination into www.abetterrouteplanner.com and it will give a very good brake-down of the route, charging stops with SoC percentage you need to get to the next stop for optimal charging.
snow report
Won’t be busy for OP’s April dates. UK and Paris Feb half term weeks might be busy though.

We thought Saturday end August driving back through France would be bad but it was fine.
snow conditions
I’ve done the run - UK to French Alps - in a Tesla twice now and never had to wait on a charger. I found it a smooth and relaxing trip.
More chargers have been installed since Summer 2020 (last trip).
I don’t know about availability for Ionity or other providers but if you’re travelling on a traditional changeover day in the winter, then I’d suspect it’d be an awful lot busier.
Aside: I just took a trip down the mountain today to Bourg: started with 355km range and got down to Bourg with 373km range - it’s definitely downhill ;o)
ski holidays
Thanks all for your messages.

I am getting an Audi - E Tron 55 in Dec so not quite there yet with any apps etc, bit of a learning curve when I get it but hopefully it will be all do-able!
latest report
holyjaspers wrote:
Thanks all for your messages.

I am getting an Audi - E Tron 55 in Dec so not quite there yet with any apps etc, bit of a learning curve when I get it but hopefully it will be all do-able!

If it’s anything like the Taycan the predicted 250 miles of range will be conservative. And you will get super fast charging out of the Ionity chargers. Enjoy!!!
snow conditions
Thanks! The blurb says it has fast charge of 50 mins and range of up to 261 miles. I am still very new to this but I am aware that what it says in the tin is not always the case i.e 261 miles is pushing it. Realistically I will be looking to charge every 200 miles if not earlier. 50 mins charge seems fine for a coffee stop.
snow report
holyjaspers wrote:
Thanks! The blurb says it has fast charge of 50 mins and range of up to 261 miles. I am still very new to this but I am aware that what it says in the tin is not always the case i.e 261 miles is pushing it. Realistically I will be looking to charge every 200 miles if not earlier. 50 mins charge seems fine for a coffee stop.

The fastest charging is up to 60% and it slows down significantly as you get above 80%. So we aimed to recharge at around 10% and would charge up to between 75-85% depending on the next stop distance and it would usually take 20-25 minutes to charge.
ski holidays
@BobinCH, We got 245 range in our Taycan yesterday.

Definitely finding the Ionity chargers at Gretna getting busier. The other week 4 being used with 3 cars waiting, the good thing is most cars were just 15 mins charging.
latest report
Quote:

Realistically I will be looking to charge every 200 miles if not earlier. 50 mins charge seems fine for a coffee stop.

This is what puts me off EVs. On the French motorways that means every 2:30 you'll have to stop for 50 minutes to recharge. The normal 9-10 hours from Calais to Les Arcs will be extended to 12 to 13 hours and from home upto 18 hours. It's just too long for a single drive. I love the concept of an EV, especially the idea that I have a big battery on the drive that I can charge over night and pover the home during the day, but the hassle of keep searching for recharge points and frequent stops puts me off.

Incidently we all know that fuel on motorway service areas carries a 10% surcharge, does recharge electricity?
snow report
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Realistically I will be looking to charge every 200 miles if not earlier. 50 mins charge seems fine for a coffee stop.

This is what puts me off EVs. On the French motorways that means every 2:30 you'll have to stop for 50 minutes to recharge. The normal 9-10 hours from Calais to Les Arcs will be extended to 12 to 13 hours and from home upto 18 hours. It's just too long for a single drive. I love the concept of an EV, especially the idea that I have a big battery on the drive that I can charge over night and pover the home during the day, but the hassle of keep searching for recharge points and frequent stops puts me off.

Incidently we all know that fuel on motorway service areas carries a 10% surcharge, does recharge electricity?

Depends on your car fast charging capability. 3 stops added approx 90 minutes to our 9 hour journey. With kids and dog in the car we had to stop regularly anyway so it was fine. If you were in a hurry it might be a pain. Charging costs are the same across the Ionity network. The discounted rate is approx 30cents per kWh = approx €20 for 300km so significantly cheaper than diesel. Charging at home is approx half this cost.
latest report
We will have 2 kids in the car and I am happy to stop every few hours anyway as I am doing all the driving. Thanks for clarifying costs as there are varying reports on how much it costs to charge abroad Smile
snow conditions
Thanks for that @BobinCH. Have I got it right then, in that every 200 miles you need to stop for 30 minutes. That is much better, but it would still bug me to have to keep stopping for that length of time. We usually only stop once on the journey to Les Arcs to refuel and buy some sandwiches and that is usually for only 10 to 20 minutes. Every couple hours we rotate the driver and if neccessary have a pee. That way we can leave home about 5:00 get a crossing about 9:00 and be in the apartment between 20:00 and 21:00 that night, eating pizza and drinking wine fully relaxed.
snow report
Right bookmarking this thread as well because it is very interesting to me.

I currently have a company BMW 520d efficient dynamics, which we do the alps in, typically fill up to the brim on my fuel card at Folkestone and then get about 600miles out of the tank with half width top (ski) box, boot loaded to gunnels and 4 blokes of a certain size inside. Only allowed 1 additional driver on the insurance so 2 drivers only. Normally fill up with about 1hr and a half to go to Val D'Isere and then on the way back top up when necessary around Reims to get back to UK motorways so we only tend to stop twice each way and do Calais to Val in around 7 and a half hours. We now have a policy of Hybrid or EV only and lists being updated, but expecting to be able to have the Audi Q4 Etron extended range if I go solely EV and very keen to do so. Just wondering where it will leave our Alps drive in comparison (makes sense to put the miles/wear on my company car) or whether we will revert to mates diesel F-pace for the next few years!

I am sort of thinking it will be good to put the extra stops in, allowing time to suit and chilling the **** out a bit more on the journey down - but homeward bound we always just want it over, as there's nothing to look forward to!!
ski holidays
Quote:

do Calais to Val in around 7 and a half hours.

Wow, I'm impressed - an average speed in excess of 80 mph including refuelling stop. I'm very happy with 9 to Les Arcs.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It would indeed bug me to stop for 30 minutes each time, as even with our dogs in tow, as all it takes is a quick cock of the leg against a tree, a quick pee for bothe of the humans inside and perhaps a coffee would only take 10 minutes. Having to queue for the charger would be unlikely to enamour either of us to the benefits of electric. I also have nowhere to charge a vehicle anywhere close to our property at the moment. Parking space is also too far to plug in to our mains
snow report
johnE wrote:
Quote:

do Calais to Val in around 7 and a half hours.

Wow, I'm impressed - an average speed in excess of 80 mph including refuelling stop. I'm very happy with 9 to Les Arcs.

Driving time! We set the cruise to 140kmh - best balance of fuel vs speed - although one time I did wake up from my sleep and see my mate had got up to about 165 Mad
Last time we did it (January 3rd week Friday) 06:50 Eurotunnel - so 8:25 local time off it, pulled up outside the accommodation at 16:30, so just over 8 hours elasped. Our wives are very good at furnishing us with journey food Very Happy Very Happy

As I say, won't do any harm chilling out a bit more!
latest report
Just hopefully sorting an EV through work, probably Hyundai Ioniq 5 which has v fast charging capability but is less aero and therefore economic than the teslas. I just can't live with a Tesla's looks! For family and the odd work trip around UK motorways where fast chargers are now rolling out it will work fine for me.

But I'll be keeping the diesel estate until after the half term drive down to Aosta and using that. Me and the wife take it in turns to drive and do pretty big stints . Especially as mentioned above on the way home and I can see stopping every ~200miles or so would be frustrating, even if it's only for 20 min.

Not sure about the future as kids getting older but I think I'd look into flying or hiring/borrowing a diesel for that one week if we did the family trip again beyond 2022. That once or twice a year journey of over 300 miles at a high average is just what diesels are really good at....but ev's can work for 95% of my annual mileage.
snow report
@MHskier, IMO It's a shame that Hyundai didn't continue with the old Ioniq shape (which was more aero than a tesla) but a new drivetrain - that could have had amazing range.

When you say stopping "every 200 miles" bear in mind that if you leave Eurotunnel with a decent charge (chargers at the terminal) then that's only 2 stops. I agree it's not perfect (I took our petrol car this summer rather than the EV) but if you have an overnight stop somewhere it becomes easier. I'm still keen to try it with ours, accepting there will be a slight element of adventure to it.
ski holidays
Min 3 charges probably 4 to Aosta at motorway speeds I'd have thought, but agree we'd do one of those slowly at an overnight stop. tbh it's the shape of the Ioniq 5 that attracted me. Would never have considered Hyundai as a brand in the past, but these latest ones seem really well engineered built and designed - certainly way better quality-wise inside compared to my father's new Mk8 golf.
snow report
johnE wrote:
Thanks for that @BobinCH. Have I got it right then, in that every 200 miles you need to stop for 30 minutes. That is much better, but it would still bug me to have to keep stopping for that length of time. We usually only stop once on the journey to Les Arcs to refuel and buy some sandwiches and that is usually for only 10 to 20 minutes. Every couple hours we rotate the driver and if neccessary have a pee. That way we can leave home about 5:00 get a crossing about 9:00 and be in the apartment between 20:00 and 21:00 that night, eating pizza and drinking wine fully relaxed.

Yes that was our experience with a car that has a range of about 275 miles and can charge at 260kWh. There were plenty of cars charging at much slower rates eg VW ID4, iPace, Merc EQC 400 so it’s important to check the real fast charging speed of any car you’re looking at doing this with. I’m assuming the OP’s Etron will have similar battery tech to my Taycan. I’m also assuming they get a discounted rate for Ionity chargers (We get a card that reduces the rate from 0.79chf to 0.3chf) otherwise it’s probably no cheaper than Diesel. Unfortunately it won’t work for you with those timings but perhaps an overnight stop is possible?

Those longer trips with few stops will obviously be easier in an efficient diesel but they are already possible (and much cheaper) in an EV if you can deal with the additional stops/time.
snow report
holyjaspers wrote:
We will have 2 kids in the car and I am happy to stop every few hours anyway as I am doing all the driving. Thanks for clarifying costs as there are varying reports on how much it costs to charge abroad Smile

Check whether you get a discounted rate at Ionity chargers as this is the fast charging network we used.
snow report
Apologies for forgetting poster's name, but on the other EV thread, they detail 9h50m from Tignes to Caen for ferry to UK (of which charging time was 1h35m) - so not significantly greater than with ICE vehicle
ski holidays
iainm wrote:
Apologies for forgetting poster's name, but on the other EV thread, they detail 9h50m from Tignes to Caen for ferry to UK (of which charging time was 1h35m) - so not significantly greater than with ICE vehicle

It was 9h50 of driving, plus 1h35 of charging, so 11h25 in total to cover 954km (593 miles).
snow report
Are the charging / journey times and ranges quoted here for summer trips? Any idea of how much worse it would be in winter, with more use of lights / heater / wipers, plus batteries generally being less efficient at cold temperatures?
ski holidays
Yes, impact of any problems is far more serious in the depths of winter. What's the rating of a Tesla's heater? Would be interested to know how its continuous use impacts the driving range.
ski holidays
dw832 wrote:
Yes, impact of any problems is far more serious in the depths of winter. What's the rating of a Tesla's heater? Would be interested to know how its continuous use impacts the driving range.

See here for impact of using the heater - i was going to say that i would have thought getting the battery up to temp would be more of a draw than heating the cabin but i was wrong - surprisingly many extra miles available turning the heater off (leaving heated seats on): https://www.besustainable.com/ev/tesla-model-3-winter-performance-range-snow/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy