Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Touring skis

Poster: A snowHead
I'm wanting to get a lightweight pair for the coming season nothing so mad that it's useless on the down as I'm still not going to be doing anything like hut to hut touring.

I'm 172cm tall 65kg.
I currently have some 169 carbon preachers, too wide at the tips to fit in skin tracks, and 190 carbon Rag's, just ridiculous to skin on Very Happy both quiver killerd with Dynafit Rad 2's will probably use those bindings as I don't want to give up the rotational elasticity.

I quite liked the Blizzard Zero G 95's when I had a quick go on them at an october test a couple of years ago, though they did feel almost too stiff.
Would maybe like something with a slightly tighter radius Dynastar Mythic 97 or Black Crows Camox Freebird any other suggestions?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 30-08-21 7:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Völkl Rise Above 88s get well described and are very popular round here ...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Elan Ripstick in a 167, 14.9m radius. 95mm waist.
https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/2018-2019-elan-ripstick-96

Some others here ....
https://www.switchbacktravel.com/best-backcountry-skis

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/snow-sports/best-backcountry-skis
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What about something from Scott - Speedguide 89 or Superguide 95 or 88

https://www.scott-sports.com/gb/en/products/wintersports-equipment-skis?q=%3Arelevant&page=0&number=24
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@under a new name, always forget about Völkl, and looks like they do a 96mm version now.

@DB, would you really suggest going so short? I like my 169 Preachers but I got those when I'd only been skiing a couple of years.

@Old Fartbag, it was quite a few years ago but found the Superguides a little meh, hard to say why and so many ppl seem to like them I should probably try some again.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The latest construction Superguides are different to the ones you tried. The Superguide 95 (1370g) in 170cm or the Superguide 88 (1270g) in 170cm would be exellent. Both will work great with QK'd Rad 2's although you're going to need some narrower heel bases/brakes. The all round performance and durability of the Scott construction for a ski of this weight is class beating.

The Speedguide 89 is a very light hut-to-hut/ski mountaineering beast and are best with a sub 300g binding so aren't suited for your requirements.

And I've got one pair left of 2018 167cm Whitedot R.98 CarbonLites at the right price for a CL but they'd still be a bit dearer than a 21/22 Superguide.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 30-08-21 9:54; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Daishan wrote:
@DB, would you really suggest going so short? I like my 169 Preachers but I got those when I'd only been skiing a couple of years.

I'm the same height as you and I'd go a bit longer, sounds like you could go longer too.
Have 167cm and 177cm touring skis. The 177cm's can be a challenge while doing kick turns but the increased surface area (they are also wider) is better in powder.
I'll probably go for 170-175cm length and a 95mm waist for my next touring skis.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thx that was the kind of length I was thinking, I have managed kick turns on the 190 Rag's but wouldn't fancy it on more exposed terrain as it couldn't be called elegant Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Are you going to use the skis just for touring or for piste skiing too?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The piste is for getting to better snow wink
It's not going to be loads of vertical as I'm not fit enough for much more than a couple of hours up per day.
It's partly wanting a touring ski and partly wanting something a little narrower than my Whitedot's.
I've always liked light skis even when not going up, easier to flick around in the tree's.

Thx Jon, I'll have a closer look at those.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A nice pair of lightly used Ranger r108cl would do.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@adithorp, but where could I possibly get a pair of those from??? rolling eyes

Tbh don't think I want anything with quite such a large radius or as wide 90-98 would be the sweet spot I think with the other skis I have.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Daishan wrote:
@adithorp, but where could I possibly get a pair of those from??? rolling eyes

Tbh don't think I want anything with quite such a large radius or as wide 90-98 would be the sweet spot I think with the other skis I have.

I think I might be able to find a pair wink and there price might be inversely proportional to the turn radius.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Volkl Bmt 90s are very good , some weight penalty vs VtA/Rise series but ski sooo good. I’m on 184s , not sur where the shorter numbers go . Scott’s are are also awesome .
Volkl touring kit also very good in Alpine piste environments unless you are at Mach Loony.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Völkl BMT 90's are available in 163, 170, 177 and 184cm lengths.
They are very expensive approx. €800+ but have an excellent performance to weight ratio (1320g/ski in a 170 length)

Looks like the skitouring testival will be on again this year at Kaprun Austria. There it is possible to test many touring skis and bindings.
https://www.kitzsteinhorn.at/en/service/latest/events/winter/bergwelten-ski-touring-testival
ski holidays
@DB, that trip looks very tempting, have you ever done it before?
latest report
Daishan wrote:
@DB, that trip looks very tempting, have you ever done it before?

Yes just once in 2019 (pre-COVID) wanted to go again in 2020 but it was cancelled because of COVID.
latest report
Looks like getting there would be a bit of a pain, no direct flights to Salzburg no shared transfers operating until December :/
Oh well as fun as it would be it's a lot of traveling for just a few days skiing.

@spyderjon, any idea if Völkl will be bringing any skis to Octobertest?
snow conditions
@Daishan,
I’m similar weight to you and sold my much loved 169 Preachers after buying R.98s in 167 with Radical 2 bindings. I now use the R.98s for all my skiing. I don’t find the long radius limits manoeuvrability as they are quicker edge to edge and bend when you need them to. The long radius is particularly comforting when traversing steep icy slopes.

I see that Whitedot’s website still has some non carbon R.98 167 for sale at Euro 499.
ski holidays
Daishan wrote:
.........@spyderjon, any idea if Völkl will be bringing any skis to Octobertest?

Yep, Volkl will be there as will Whitedot, Blizzard, Noridca, Whitedot, Dynastar, K2 and Line. Not sure what touring offering as covid has affected what demo skis are available - but I'll know nearer the time. Unfortunately Scott won't be there as they didn't bring in any demo's in to the UK at all.

On the rocks wrote:
@Daishan,........I see that Whitedot’s website still has some non carbon R.98 167 for sale at Euro 499.

Yep, they're sitting in my shop along with the last pair of CL's Cool
latest report
@Daishan, from what I saw in the summer think that many a shop will be keen to offload the stock they bought in for last season when we had no lifts in France and everyone was taking to touring, so you could probably try a few before buying.

And yes you can't go wrong with Superguides, my 105's are my do-everything ski, so much so that I hardly used my 89's, or my Blackcrows Atris in 50 odd sorties last season.

I just find that they can tackle any snow-pack you might encounter enabling you to still have the confidence to still charge 10cm built-in polystyrene crust, through to heavy spring sludge etc and are still light enough to do big days on.

Might look nice but I can assure you it was very technical to ski.

snow report
That's a great pic!

Did you jump in the transition? I don't see the tracks...or was it so frozen that you didn't leave any during the transition?
ski holidays
@horizon, I'm not too sure though could be hard-pack before and I skied over it?

If I'd been on lighter skis I would not have had the confidence to charge.

Think I skied up there four days in a week and every day the snowpack was different, that's why ski choice can be the difference, we all ski-tour on 105+ now inc my OH.

This video pretty well sums up technical skiing, at times might look good if I grabbed a still but you can see from my tracks how bad the crust etc was, think my OH was reduced to nigh on snow-ploughing down, just look how far back she ends up Laughing

http://youtube.com/v/9gxAPSe2jTk

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 2-09-21 16:01; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
@Daishan, from what I saw in the summer think that many a shop will be keen to offload the stock they bought in for last season when we had no lifts in France and everyone was taking to touring, so you could probably try a few before buying.

And yes you can't go wrong with Superguides, my 105's are my do-everything ski, so much so that I hardly used my 89's, or my Blackcrows Atris in 50 odd sorties last season.

I just find that they can tackle any snow-pack you might encounter enabling you to still have the confidence to still charge 10cm built-in polystyrene crust, through to heavy spring sludge etc and are still light enough to do big days on.

Might look nice but I can assure you it was very technical to ski.

Literally gaping! wink
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
.......Literally gaping! wink

That's because every turn at that speed you think is about to turn into an "Oh shite moment" as per the video above Laughing
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Literally gaping! wink

Phhhr you call that gaping, you should look at this blast from the past in similar snow conditions (2013 vintage, dynafit titan ski-touring boots, dynafit rad 1 baltoro bindings & Kästle TX87 i.e. 87mm waist width, touring skis)

http://youtube.com/v/YmpZcd0AMBM
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy