Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt and Cervinia 2021-2022

Poster: A snowHead
JohnMo wrote:
Idb1213 wrote:
Anyone know what the snow condition will be like end november-start of december? Based on snow so far, compared to last years, Can we predict what it will be like? Im talking lower elevations, is it a possibilty that by late nov, it will be possible to ski all the way down to resort?

There was a good bit of snow that allowed the opening of the lower glacier in mid-October. That is about average. However there was then a two week drought which meant, inter alia, that nothing has yet opened on the Italian side. That is disappointing but not massively out of the ordinary. However the October snow (or lack thereof) is not a massive factor in what late November and December skiing is like. There is snow this weekend and more over the next few days.

The Italians will get things opened as and when they can. They are very good like that. The Swiss might get the run down from Trockener Steg to Furgg open. Beyond that the “big”(ish) opening is on 27 November. That is the rule and the Swiss stick to the rules. That opening sees all areas opened up but not all runs.

The runs down to the resort on the Swiss side are never opened until the week before Xmas. But that is no great loss: in general the home runs are not particularly interesting.

Thanks for your reply! generally it is not the home runs that really interest me, rather than getting long runs, and not having to stay comitted to few slopes, using lifts too often. i usually like to get to the top and ski all the way down, gives me 20-30 minutes straight of skiing. if the lower mountain slopes are closed, it drastically shorten the slope runs, aint so? anyways, can i except good and diverse runs by late november? (on the italian side)? Historically, by late november you can get long enough runs to keep you going? i've heard cervinia/zermatt is one of the most reliable sites for preseason skiing.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wildsmith wrote:
On the Cervinia side, the Valtournenche area is due to open on 20 Nov… this is mid nov 2018 and they opened pistes down to town by then: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3471048&highlight=triggered#3471048

Ymmv Very Happy
Thank you.. valtournence is considered low mountain? And going to be ready by 20 nov?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Plan Maison now has a decent snow covering on the webcams snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Idb1213 wrote:
JohnMo wrote:
Idb1213 wrote:
Anyone know what the snow condition will be like end november-start of december? Based on snow so far, compared to last years, Can we predict what it will be like? Im talking lower elevations, is it a possibilty that by late nov, it will be possible to ski all the way down to resort?

There was a good bit of snow that allowed the opening of the lower glacier in mid-October. That is about average. However there was then a two week drought which meant, inter alia, that nothing has yet opened on the Italian side. That is disappointing but not massively out of the ordinary. However the October snow (or lack thereof) is not a massive factor in what late November and December skiing is like. There is snow this weekend and more over the next few days.

The Italians will get things opened as and when they can. They are very good like that. The Swiss might get the run down from Trockener Steg to Furgg open. Beyond that the “big”(ish) opening is on 27 November. That is the rule and the Swiss stick to the rules. That opening sees all areas opened up but not all runs.

The runs down to the resort on the Swiss side are never opened until the week before Xmas. But that is no great loss: in general the home runs are not particularly interesting.

Thanks for your reply! generally it is not the home runs that really interest me, rather than getting long runs, and not having to stay comitted to few slopes, using lifts too often. i usually like to get to the top and ski all the way down, gives me 20-30 minutes straight of skiing. if the lower mountain slopes are closed, it drastically shorten the slope runs, aint so? anyways, can i except good and diverse runs by late november? (on the italian side)? Historically, by late november you can get long enough runs to keep you going? i've heard cervinia/zermatt is one of the most reliable sites for preseason skiing.

Most years there is decent snow to open up sufficient runs. The snow this weekend and over the next few days is a good start. The lack of home runs on the Swiss side should not detract from the enjoyment too much. The Italians will try to get the Ventina (number 7) open down to Breuil-Cervinia and possibly the other home runs down from Plan Maison to Breuil-Cervinia. They might not get Salette down to Valtournenche open. But Valtournenche is the lowest point in the combined Italian/Swiss area at 1524m. Having said that Salette has turned from green to white on the webcams today and the Italian side is going to continue to get the best of the snow.

If the Italians do get the Ventina the run from Klein Matterhorn down to Breul-Cervinia is 1800m vertical – enough of a run for anyone. On the Swiss side you will be able to ski Klein Matterhorn to Furgg (might be able to do that quite soon) and that is 1400m vertical and possibly down on to Furi (another 600m vertical). At the north end Rothorn to Patrullarve (via the reds not the black) will be open and that is 1100m vertical. In the middle of the Swiss area Gornegrat down to Furi should be open and that is 1200m vertical. So barring a disastrous November (and it is already starting well) there should be plenty of long runs (on the Swiss side from 27 November – potentially earlier from the Italian side).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JohnMo wrote:
Idb1213 wrote:
JohnMo wrote:
Idb1213 wrote:

Most years there is decent snow to open up sufficient runs. The snow this weekend and over the next few days is a good start. The lack of home runs on the Swiss side should not detract from the enjoyment too much. The Italians will try to get the Ventina (number 7) open down to Breuil-Cervinia and possibly the other home runs down from Plan Maison to Breuil-Cervinia. They might not get Salette down to Valtournenche open. But Valtournenche is the lowest point in the combined Italian/Swiss area at 1524m. Having said that Salette has turned from green to white on the webcams today and the Italian side is going to continue to get the best of the snow.

If the Italians do get the Ventina the run from Klein Matterhorn down to Breul-Cervinia is 1800m vertical – enough of a run for anyone. On the Swiss side you will be able to ski Klein Matterhorn to Furgg (might be able to do that quite soon) and that is 1400m vertical and possibly down on to Furi (another 600m vertical). At the north end Rothorn to Patrullarve (via the reds not the black) will be open and that is 1100m vertical. In the middle of the Swiss area Gornegrat down to Furi should be open and that is 1200m vertical. So barring a disastrous November (and it is already starting well) there should be plenty of long runs (on the Swiss side from 27 November – potentially earlier from the Italian side).

Thanks a lot, just to be sure (not so familiar with the terms), 1800m vertical, an avg skiier/snowboard, How long would it take to end the run? (again, on average).. Hoping to get at least 20-30 minutes nonstop runs..
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yep, definitely closed for the day. Very sorry, but no snow updates this time...

JohnMo wrote:

50-60 km/h up on the lower glacier. It it touch and go whether they will get it open at those sort of speeds. I doubt they will get Klein Matterhorn open but I am crossing my fingers for you for Furggsattel.

Where can you see that? Is there also a forecast of wind speeds up on the mountain? That would be great.

One of the reasons I chose Zermatt over Saas-Fee this weekend was because the forecast predicted less wind here, but I guess that was down the valley. And now Saas-Fee is open (painful!) but I wouldn't be able to get there before 13h, and figured it wasn't worth the risk again.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Idb1213 wrote:

Thanks a lot, just to be sure (not so familiar with the terms), 1800m vertical, an avg skiier/snowboard, How long would it take to end the run? (again, on average).. Hoping to get at least 20-30 minutes nonstop runs..

That'll greatly depend on a number of factors of course (which route you choose - the steeper, the shorter -, speed, breaks etc), but bear in mind that a vertical drop off 1800m ain't easy to find, so you'll hardly be able to get much more than this elsewhere.

Here they list one of the runs in Zermatt as being 13km long: https://www.redbull.com/int-en/top-6-ski-runs-with-the-most-vertical-drop-in-the-world

So if you have a constant linear speed of 39km/h, which is not super fast but certainly not very slow, you'll take 20min to get down, if you don't stop.
(Keep in mind that 39km/h would be your linear speed, but since skiing consists on going from one side to the other and I don't think you plan on tucking the entire way down, your actual speed would be higher than that)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Idb1213 wrote:

There are lots of videos on Youtube of people doing Klein Matterhorn to Breuil-Cervinia. Here is one. This guy takes 15 minutes to do it. Not sure if he would be regarded as “average” but you can have a look and see how your normal speed compares to his.

http://youtube.com/v/nv0R2gmMS2M
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gustavo the Gaper wrote:

JohnMo wrote:

50-60 km/h up on the lower glacier. It it touch and go whether they will get it open at those sort of speeds. I doubt they will get Klein Matterhorn open but I am crossing my fingers for you for Furggsattel.

Where can you see that? Is there also a forecast of wind speeds up on the mountain? That would be great.

One of the reasons I chose Zermatt over Saas-Fee this weekend was because the forecast predicted less wind here, but I guess that was down the valley. And now Saas-Fee is open (painful!) but I wouldn't be able to get there before 13h, and figured it wasn't worth the risk again.

The date is on the official site (.ch) but for current wind speeds I tend to look at the .net unofficial site because it sets it out in a more useful format:

http://zermatt.net/info/wetter.html

The official site does do forecasts for three days for town, Gornegrat and Klein Matterhorn

https://www.zermatt.ch/en/Weather-forecast

linked to this site (if you can’t read German you can probably guess or use Google translate) which has forecast wind speeds and direction:

https://wetterstationen.meteomedia.de/messnetz/vorhersagegrafik/067480.png
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions, appreciate it! Smile @JohnMo @Gustavo the Gaper
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JohnMo wrote:

The date is on the official site (.ch) but for current wind speeds I tend to look at the .net unofficial site because it sets it out in a more useful format:

The official site does do forecasts for three days for town, Gornegrat and Klein Matterhorn

linked to this site (if you can’t read German you can probably guess or use Google translate) which has forecast wind speeds and direction:

That's really useful, thanks a million! Will make sure to check that out next time.
Do you know of any sites we can use for other resorts too?

Idb1213 wrote:
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions, appreciate it! Smile @JohnMo @Gustavo the Gaper

No worries! If we look at how much time others have spent answering my questions here, I'm still in great debt...

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 1-11-21 8:34; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gustavo the Gaper wrote:
JohnMo wrote:

That's really useful, thanks a million! Will make sure to check that out next time.

Idb1213 wrote:

No worries! If we look at how much time others have spent answering [i]my[/] questions here, I'm still in great debt...

Btw, do you think there's any chance that by late november-very early december, cretaz will be open? Blush
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Idb1213 wrote:
Gustavo the Gaper wrote:
JohnMo wrote:

Idb1213 wrote:

No worries! If we look at how much time others have spent answering my questions here, I'm still in great debt...

Btw, do you think there's any chance that by late november-very early december, cretaz will be open? Blush

Hmm good question, I really have no clue; think JohnMo will probably have a better idea.
What I can tell you is that what I managed to see from Zermatt this weekend (the bottom part...) was really 100% green. I hiked to Furi and a bit further up yesterday, and could only see snow reeeally far away. I believe quite a lot of snow would have to fall in 1 month in order for all the pistes to open. Then again, Cervinia is higher than Zermatt (about 400m I reckon), albeit not north-facing, so maybe that helps too.

Make sure to keep an eye on the 2021/22 weather outlook thread someone posted here (https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=155810&start=80), there's often valuable info there as well!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Always good to see heavy snow fall up top on the Webcams. Trock and Gornergrat looking like they have received a good dump over night.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Idb1213 wrote:

Frankly. yes, there is a good chance. Snow line dropping well below 2050m for all of this week () deg isotherm below 2050 for most of the time), snow forecast at village level this week.... I'd be amaze if they haven't opened the runs to plan maison (and ventina to Cima Bianchi Laghi) by this weekend, and the runs to 2050 /Cretaz would be next on the list I think (that was the opening order in 2019 anyway,,, of course 3 weeks is a long time in snow business.
latest report

ski holidays
@Johnmo, sounds like Blatten, Zum See etc wont be open until the week before xmas if the runs to town aren't due to open until then?
snow report
Run28 wrote:
@Johnmo, sounds like Blatten, Zum See etc wont be open until the week before xmas if the runs to town aren't due to open until then?

Blatten and Zum See are due to open 8 December. Both of those places are easily accessible on foot (even if there is snow) so they don’t need the slopes outside open (obviously their footfall increases enormously once they are). They set their opening dates knowing that in most years there will be no ski in ski out customers for the first couple of weeks. Hennu Stall is different in that it is an out and out après ski place so it won’t open until the slopes do.
snow report
Wildsmith wrote:
Idb1213 wrote:

Frankly. yes, there is a good chance. Snow line dropping well below 2050m for all of this week () deg isotherm below 2050 for most of the time), snow forecast at village level this week.... I'd be amaze if they haven't opened the runs to plan maison (and ventina to Cima Bianchi Laghi) by this weekend, and the runs to 2050 /Cretaz would be next on the list I think (that was the opening order in 2019 anyway,,, of course 3 weeks is a long time in snow business.

You are a regular Cervinia visitor while I only come over from the Swiss side so I would defer to you on this. I very rarely ski down to that lift unless I have a beginner with me. It seems a lot of work to get a lift down to 2000m open that early when within eyesight there is the Plan Maison lift and from there all the same upper ski area can be accessed.
latest report
Cretaz starting to get covered today snowHead
ski holidays
twoodwar wrote:
Cretaz starting to get covered today snowHead

Everywhere seems to have done well but the Italian side hit pay dirt. Like London buses the next storm is coming along on Thursday. Slightly out of the range where confidence is very high but I am also liking the look of the beginning of next week.

ski holidays
JohnMo wrote:
within eyesight there is the Plan Maison lift.
Very Happy - think that is the reason... from the main part of town you can see the lift but the walk to it is not nice (actually fine carrying 2 pairs of skis IMO, but IMWHO, she won't do it until I have retrieved some trainers for her and relieved her of all skis!!).
The Cretaz lifts and runs serve the main parts of town (really well) and the only big blue run goes exclusively to them from Plan Maison... so it is a priority o open. I could be wrong but I am 100% confident they will be open by 20th Nov and will post a pic (win or lose) from the snow front on that day!! snowHead I can't stop watching the webcams!
snow report
News from Zermatt: https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/swiss-police-arrest-restaurant-owners-who-refused-to-check-covid-certificates/47072366

Looks like the Swiss Authorities are keen on ensuring covid certificates are checked in restaurants and hotels etc.
snow conditions
Now the UK Covid Cert is part of the EU Green Pass Scheme (and works in Italy - I've checked!) do we need the Swiss app to get into a restaurant in CH - or is that now redundant?/ @JohnMo, sorry to ask again!?!?
latest report
Wildsmith wrote:
Now the UK Covid Cert is part of the EU Green Pass Scheme (and works in Italy - I've checked!) do we need the Swiss app to get into a restaurant in CH - or is that now redundant?/ @JohnMo, sorry to ask again!?!?

We have the Swiss certificate so it hasn’t been an issue for us. I have just used the Covid Check app (that the restaurants use to check) to scan my wife’s NHS code. It worked fine. Out of interest I tried to scan the domestic NHS code and it rejected it. So make sure that you have the NHS Travel QR code and not the domestic one.
latest report
Alastair Pink wrote:
News from Zermatt: https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/swiss-police-arrest-restaurant-owners-who-refused-to-check-covid-certificates/47072366

Looks like the Swiss Authorities are keen on ensuring covid certificates are checked in restaurants and hotels etc.

Oh now it makes sense, I saw a bunch of people protesting against covid measures there this weekend, and quite a lot of police as well.
latest report
Alastair Pink wrote:

This has been causing ruptions on the Zermatt Community Facebook page. I have kept out of it - but the usual courtesy and calmness of the Swiss has gone for a burton on this issue.
snow report
I’ve now managed to get the Covid Cert app working with our NHS QR code. All good and valid until August 2022 apparently. No need to spend €30!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wildsmith wrote:
JohnMo wrote:
Very Happy - think that is the reason... from the main part of town you can see the lift but the walk to it is not nice (actually fine carrying 2 pairs of skis IMO, but IMWHO, she won't do it until I have retrieved some trainers for her and relieved her of all skis!!).
The Cretaz lifts and runs serve the main parts of town (really well) and the only big blue run goes exclusively to them from Plan Maison... so it is a priority o open. I could be wrong but I am 100% confident they will be open by 20th Nov and will post a pic (win or lose) from the snow front on that day!! snowHead I can't stop watching the webcams!

i reallllyy hope you’re right, im there 30th of november.. fingers crossed that most pistes would be open by then snowHead
snow conditions
Wildsmith wrote:
JohnMo wrote:

What are u suggesting?If cretaz piste dont open, they dont still open the lifts?you have to walk all the way to plan maison??????? Shocked
snow conditions
Basically yes, personal experience has been the Cretan to plan Tourette plus pancheron chair do no open until the (blue) run (s) down are open - till then u have to hike (there are rumours of a bus, but I’ve neither seen it.. maybe boo early in season)

But by 30th you will be fine…it’s looking good already!!
ski holidays
Idb1213 wrote:
If cretaz piste dont open, they dont still open the lifts?you have to walk all the way to plan maison??????? Shocked

Just to make sure there's no misunderstanding - you would have to walk to the bottom of the gondola to Plan Maison. You don't have to walk to Plan Maison itself!
snow report
Thanks to all for all this great info - I'm a n00b to the site, a n00b to Zermatt/Cervinia, a n00b to skiing in Europe, and one could probably even say a n00b to skiing, period. I'm trying my best to triangulate between these posts and other sources on the web to piece it all together. But we're doing a family trip to Zermatt over the Thanksgiving break, and will be in Zermatt from Nov. 19-25. I'm thinking we'll have at least some solid skiing for the intermediates and beginners in our group?

Just a couple of specific questions - I'm thinking it will be tough for a beginner to make their way down to Cervinia given the length and the fact that it may only be red runs open at that time. Is that a good hunch? Assuming so, is there a way to get into Cervinia without skis? Also, I assume the Swiss covid pass (which I have in hand) will not be any good in Cervinia, will it?

Also - there is a LOT in this area to digest, from multiple lifts and multiple runs in different colors than I'm used to.... is there a good resource for "Zermatt skiing for dummies?" to get me oriented? I'm actually slowly getting there on my own but it's a lot.

Thanks in advance to all, this site has been a great find.
snow report
denfinella wrote:
Idb1213 wrote:
If cretaz piste dont open, they dont still open the lifts?you have to walk all the way to plan maison??????? Shocked

Just to make sure there's no misunderstanding - you would have to walk to the bottom of the gondola to Plan Maison. You don't have to walk to Plan Maison itself!

But correct me if im wrong, the gondola to plan maison leaves from cretaz, if cretaz lifts don’t work, what other way of getting there you have?
latest report
@Snowinginbaltimore, hi, and welcome to snowheads. An absolute beginner will struggle at the top, coming over via Theodulpass, and via the other red route. The issue will be if you go via Klein Matterhorn, it is very high for one, - the highest piste in Europe, so if not used to it care needs to be taken due to the relative lack of oxygen. The red run down starts easy, but is apt to become a little rutted. You then have a choice of routes down to Cervinia, both red. The second way if via drag lifts from Tocknersteg and take one of these only which is the aforementioned Theodulpass. Neither is totally beginner friendly, hence they are red. Once in Cervinia there are great easy cruising blues and even reds for beginners to improve on. Also the return from Italy is relatively easy.
You currently cannot get to Italy without skis or snowshoes!
Others need to advise re Covid. I’m off to Cervinia in March, as we have a beginner in our party, and to be honest it is better for beginners. Zermatt though is for me the best resort I have skied, so you will love it.
Good beginner areas in Zermatt are Sunnega sector and also just above Riffleberg, with relatively easy blues.
I’m sure others will advise, some who have apartments there, but you have made a great choice. As Zermatt is a year rounded resort, you will have skiing, and with luck snow cover down to village level
snow conditions
The Cretaz lifts are on the snow front main part of town, the PM lifts are up the hill at the start of via Bardonney on shelf above the town

ski holidays
Wildsmith wrote:
The Cretaz lifts are on the snow front main part of town, the PM lifts are up the hill at the start of via Bardonney on shelf above the town

Is this the one where piste 7 ends?
snow conditions
Where piste 3 and 5 end
snow report
twoodwar wrote:
Where piste 3 and 5 end

Are you sure? From how i see the map, pistes 3 and 5 end in cretaz.. might be wrong
snow report
Snowinginbaltimore wrote:
Thanks to all for all this great info - I'm a n00b to the site, a n00b to Zermatt/Cervinia, a n00b to skiing in Europe, and one could probably even say a n00b to skiing, period. I'm trying my best to triangulate between these posts and other sources on the web to piece it all together. But we're doing a family trip to Zermatt over the Thanksgiving break, and will be in Zermatt from Nov. 19-25. I'm thinking we'll have at least some solid skiing for the intermediates and beginners in our group?

Just a couple of specific questions - I'm thinking it will be tough for a beginner to make their way down to Cervinia given the length and the fact that it may only be red runs open at that time. Is that a good hunch? Assuming so, is there a way to get into Cervinia without skis? Also, I assume the Swiss covid pass (which I have in hand) will not be any good in Cervinia, will it?

Also - there is a LOT in this area to digest, from multiple lifts and multiple runs in different colors than I'm used to.... is there a good resource for "Zermatt skiing for dummies?" to get me oriented? I'm actually slowly getting there on my own but it's a lot.

Thanks in advance to all, this site has been a great find.

Hi @Snowinginbaltimore . I agree with what @twoodwar has said. I hope you enjoy Zermatt. We get a lot of North American visitors and they always enjoy it.

Are you aware that the main opening of Zermatt is not until 27 November? That means there will only be a very restricted area open on the Swiss side while you are there. I will try to explain it by reference to the pdf piste map in this link:

https://www.zermatt.ch/en/Lifts-pistes/Panokarte-Ausflugsberge/Piste-map-Winter-panorama

You will take the Matterhorn Express from the south end of town up to Trockener Steg. You can see that lift station almost exactly in the centre of the piste map. From there there are three connected ski areas:

1. If you take the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise ride up to Klein Matterhorn you can ski those reds or ski over to Italy (via Testa Grigia – right and up on piste map from Trockener Steg – more of that later). As has been said the air up there is thin and can affect people if they go up first day. Also the reds are possibly beyond a beginner.
2. You can ski down out of the lift station to the Furggsattle chairlift just below. This gives you access to runs 71 and 72. Those are reds because they are steep in part. However, I suspect most beginners could cope with them if they took it easy. They really are very nice runs. After the main interesting part there is an uphill section on the trail back to the lift station. For intermediates and above it is no problem as you simply build up speed on the downhill section as you approach it. Not sure how your beginners will cope with that.
3. You can ski down 66 (which has several branches) to Furgg. Those reds are pretty tricky in parts (although they start off deceptively easy). I am not sure I would take a beginner on them.

That is it I am afraid. The more beginner friendly stuff on the Gornegrat and Rothorn/Sunnegga sectors does not open up until the following week.

Italy is actually a lot better for the week you are there. It is south facing so with the sun so low that is a real benefit. It will have a lot more open. Plus it has a lot more beginner (and even intermediate) friendly slopes. It can actually be closed to visitors from the Swiss side if the weather (particularly the wind) is bad). Assuming that is not the case, the issue is getting there. Whatever you do the first thing is to get to Testa Grigia. As has been mentioned you can ski down from Klein Matterhorn (tricky for beginners) or you can take the two drag lifts up that run parallel to 73 and 87. They are fine (if slow) in good weather but can be miserable if it is cold and/or windy. From next Autumn there is a lift (marked Projekt from Klein Matterhorn to Testa Grigia) that will take non-skiers over to Italy but that is no use to you now.

Once at Testa Grigia you can ski down number 7. That is great but steep and your beginners might not like it. Or you can ski number 6 through the Theodulpass down onto number 47. That is easier but still might be a challenge for beginners (also has an uphill section for which you need speed). The easiest thing to do might just be to jump into the big cabin lift to Laghi Cime Bianche. From there the number 7 into town is easier than the top section. Or you can just hop into one of the gondolas from Laghi Cime Bianche over to Plan Maison. The area immediately above Plan Maison and down into town is by far the best for beginners.

As has been said the return is easier, whether you take the chairlifts up to Theodulpass or the gondola then cabin up to Testa Grigia. I would recommend the latter for beginners.

As for the Swiss covid pass in Italy, I assume you are vaccinated in the US? If that is the case I don’t know (I know for Brits it is OK). However you can download the Italian pass checker and scan the QR code in your Swiss pass yourself to check if it is OK. The Italian pass checker is here for Apple:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/verificac19/id1565800117

I hope you enjoy yourself. Feel free to ask any more questions.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy