Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Iceland - post lockdown

Poster: A snowHead
They changed the rules for travel from the UK on May 17, for those who follow the law.
A shift in the vaccination schedules means I'll be doubly-vaccinated before the end of the month.
That led me to thinking that maybe this season isn't over just yet.

I rode in Iceland in early May in 2019. The snow was the worst I've ridden, other than the stuff on
Royston Golf course, and massively more expensive. Here's a shot from then.

It's mostly easy corn snow in wide-open if sometimes steep terrain, which I failed to capture with this snap.
The first dot to the right of the skier's head is another skier, and you can probably ride to the inlet at the top
of the shot if you pick your gully carefully and really want to. You're more likely to be riding the soft snow at
midnight than the icy sastrugi in the morning. Down days involved more herrings than many people would
be comfortable with.

Anyway, this year the conditions are visibly better, with much more snow much lower down. I'd rather not
have an entire season of posting about snowboarding rather than doing it, so I shall be waving my NHS
and Rakning C-19 Apps around in early June and maybe I'll get something out of the season.

Now, where did I put all that gear?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fingers crossed for you
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Interesting, what kind of costs are you looking at???
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I try not to think about how many pallets my younger self would have had to stack
to make one run as it doesn't help and I can't take it with me when I'm done.

The price is easily googled, or PM me for gory details.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@kitenski, it is not actually all that expensive if you can get a small group together (or join a group of like- minded souls). I ran a trip there a few years back for a group of 4 and the cost per head was pretty reasonable (though I would say that...! Happy ). Would have to look back through my archives for the detail.
The fish soup in Dalvik is a thing of wonder!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Is the snow in Iceland generally s hite? I check the posts on FB from a number of heli-ski operators and although they'll of course talk themselves up they seem to find good snow a hell of a lot...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes, like Alaska, it's mostly without trees and very close to the ocean.
The other side of the coin is that you get to ride steep stuff as the snow sticks well.
For good snow you want interior BC early season; that's not what this is.

This video gives you an idea of conditions in May 2019 when I was there before.

I have some mates who work at the two operators on the Troll peninsular. This year's conditions have been
better than May 2019, in terms of snow coverage. Of course it can easily rain multiple days in a row.
Then freeze. I managed to arrange trips to both operators. I'm going to get my fill whilst I can.

Iceland changed their rules a couple of days ago, but so far it appears still possible to visit
from the UK if you're double-vaccinated. You get a free test on arrival then you can drive
whilst you await the results. A "vaccination passport" and "quarantine" system.

It's safer on all counts to stay home.
Hence "all my bags are packed, I'm ready to go".
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
LHR was quiet and civilized.

Food as crap as ever, some places closed down. T2 doesn't have any actual kitchens as far as I can tell.
It does have lots of crap watch shops - why do they not make stupidly expensive watches which are actually pretty?

The flight was about 1/3 full, masks compulsory and hygine kits provided.
Iceland have it dialled... the airport walk was if anything quicker than normal, really efficient, presumably because they only had a couple of flights in.
The PCR test (free) was disgusting but I managed not to throw up on the guy and it is funny.

The hire car people were brilliantly corrupt - I let them know as subtly as I could that this wasn't my first rodeo, but they still tried all the tricks to upsell me insurance.
Apparently in Iceland they have snowstorms which just rip the paint off cars, and there is *** no limit *** to the amount of money they could bill me if that should happen, which it most certainly will.
Yeah, right. I should have recorded the sales pitch, but I will certainly use it as evidence of their fraudulent approach should they try to bill me the price of a Porsche for a POS cheapo hire car on it's last legs which has been rained on. Sometimes I hate the effect of commission based sales.

The drive across the island was uneventful. There were sheep, and lambs, and the odd other car. No paint stripper sandstorms or flesh eating aliens were encountered.

I arrived in Siglufjörður where quarantine was quite reasonably enforced. You need to have your negative test result or you're confined to your room. I bought my phone the day after Whistler closed down, so it didn't know the wifi network here, and I'm too tight fisted to pay data roaming charges... so a quick press of a few buttons were required before I could join the locals supping Icelandic IPA in a Covid and mask free environment. Which I think is described in the second of these books (in time order, which is not what's shown in my image here). I've seen the TV series set here, but not read the books until now.

There's no food available this late at night, but they do have beer.

They rode today, and tomorrow's looking good although there's a rumour of rain which is not good any way you look at it. I drove through sleet north of Reykjavik today...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

Absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads

I do not ride with my arms stuck out like that normally, honest. I'm a firm adherent of the "gunslinger"
approach and consider disco arms a sign of incompetence. The shots are both me carving the ridge lips which
don't really show in these mobile phone images. The snow there looks rotten but was fine to ride, although it's not typical - most of it's
much more snow coloured. And you can make really good snowballs with this snow.

Conditions are good, with a much bigger snow base than the last time I was here in '19. Fully vaccinated British and US
people are getting here. Temperatures don't drop below freezing at night, so there's no "morning snow" problem. During the
day the temperature reaches maybe 16 or so, but we mostly rode stuff which was not badly affected by that.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
More good weather. A little freezing overnight on some pitches, good corn snow.

A screen grab of a couple of skiers, the size of the guy on the right gives an idea of the steepness he's dropping into.

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nice mate . I was there same time as you in 2019 , even with the low tide I had a blast and will be back for sure , have fun
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yeah, I remember. I think I saw your group in the Hannes Boy, but I'm not brave enough to rock up to people I don't know with English
accents and introduce myself an internet weirdo wink

The snow's way better this year, for whatever reason. Very little freeze thaw, and we've avoided almost all of the sticky stuff.
It's much busier in the bars this year - they locked down hard and just opened everything up so it's party time in Iceland.

The snow cover this year was significantly better in early May (I saw the videos), and up top there's significantly more depth.
I know because the radio repeater I rode past last time is about 3 meters down this year. However the runnels down to the sea
are done. As it gets later, I reckon the usable vertical will get less and less. Haven't seen any touring parties, but there are
definitely people out there like one of the owners of Viking.

I'm heading to Dalvik tomorrow, as this was Viking's last day. They gave me a bunch of logoed-up gear so I can annoy their
local competition. Of course my plan is to blackmail Arctic into providing me their equivalent gear wink

Viking are building a huge new lodge which is a couple of years away, and a fiord or two away from here.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Transit day. Met some ski tourers.
It rained, but I think that doesn't much matter as the snow's all consolidated anyway.

Here's my new ride. It's probably garbage, but it looks sexy and I like the fenestrated tail rotor.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

Um, yeah, another day, another run. That's a phone snap so it doesn't really show the steepness,
but you get the basic idea. We did ride down to the sea, but there's a cliff there so you can't quite
wet your toes in it. It is very pretty.

Today was the best snow I've encountered in Iceland in either trip here; this is the goods.

There is a fair amount of whale traffic in the fjord - we saw a pod on the way home, but my phone camera wasn't really up to the job.

This is Arctic's tenure, so about an hour's drive from Siglu. The shot's from across the fjord from Dalvik.

Someone asked about touring, and there are people staying at the lodge here for touring only. They also have
touring kit which I think they rent. They're having fun as far as I can tell.
latest report
No sponsored riders today, but here's a guy who can ski like he's on a single ski.

Chunkier conditions and less good light, across the fjord from yesterday. Kind of like Scottish snow, this stuff.
DSC07729
DSC07797
DSC07799
DSC07810
ski holidays
Now that's monomania!
snow report
Wonderful to see someone making turns!
snow conditions
great to see
snow report
They'll be riding that stuff until the end of June.

Here's the equipment (not the rusty old plough in the background!) drying off at the end of day 7:

Stuff I learnt:
  • The Arva Evo 5 was still at 80% battery after 7 full days of operation including some search practice. I guess I never found battery life a problem, but new transceivers don't use very much at all.
  • 3M PELTOR Electronic Earplugs EEP-100 are excellent for helicopters. You can just leave them on all day and can hear voice with no problem whilst the suppression is noticeably good.
  • Atomic Backlands are the mutt's nuts.
  • Lightweight helmets are easily ripped off at high speed by the air if you forget to fasten the chin strap
  • For wet snow, my mitts need some wax
  • I always pack slightly too much stuff, but Americans are much, much worse at that.

Overall the snow was night-and-day better than my last week here in 2019. There was less freeze-thaw effect, and much more pleasant corn.
The corn seemed to be easier to find than in BC (it didn't peak quite so briefly).

Oh yeah, for the full tourist, here's an image from the volcano today. There are quite a lot of volcanos, but this one is turned on at the moment.
It's in the bottom left hand corner (the skiing is at the top, left of centre). It rains down here quite a lot.
snow conditions
Wow, Iceland looks stunning!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy