Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Covid Testing Returning to UK

Poster: A snowHead
It's like GroundHog day, preparing to go back to France 27th May.

So now we know, book the trip allowing for three working days in order to get the Test to Travel results and book the kit the week before all in good time, and now we have the additional complexity of the dog's certification to consider.

Now, do I get @KenX, to take a chance and post our Carte Sejours to us in the UK ??
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have a mate sitting in STN now waiting for his test result to arrive. The "promised" 24-48 hours didn't pan out. Someone screwed up, but if the test result doesn't arrive, they presumably won't let him board. And the test will be over 72 hours old if he misses the flight and it eventually arrives, so he'll need another one... the "f-up cycle time" is a few days long, and a few hundreds of pounds in cost, it seems. Well, he doesn't really need to travel any more than most of the other people doing it, I suppose.

My reading of the rules is that the UK won't demand that test after 17 May.
Please shout and point to evidence if that's wrong.
If your destination requires a test, that's a different deal I guess, although in Iceland they give you the test (for free) on arrival, so it's less of an issue. But their rules are about to change too.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh, evidence of double-vaccination (which he had) works if the PCR test fails to arrive. Vaccine certificate to the rescue.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well, if I'm allowed to join... I'm starting to follow this - not too carefully as things keep changing - as I'd like to drive the family from Portugal back to UK for the summer, probably 4-5 weeks, then back to Portugal. So far I'd expect to leave Lisbon in early July. We haven't been vaccinated and don't expect to be by then (PT late with that like most of Europe mainland).

So that will mean crossing the PT-ES, ES-FR and FR-UK borders. Right now I've no idea what's involved. I'd expect to spend one and probably two nights sleeping somewhere en route, we're not that great at ploughing on, and I don't know if that should be in a hotel, a safe-house, or under a farmer's hedge. I'd expect to cross Calais-Dover (we did Dieppe-Newhaven last time and the family don't like 4 hours on a boat) then drive to parents near Tunbridge Wells. They are aged but now both vaccinated, and have a large house and grounds in a tiny village so "quarantine" should be OK if we are allowed to be in contact with them.

I can check here with the embassy closer to the time about rules for entering/leaving UK, it's the border crossings and any associated quarantine I'm still puzzled with. As said, haven't looked in great detail this early.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@telford_mike, the lockdown situation is similar across Europe: you know what I mean. At what point would you disobey the gov't?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Our tests arrived today and the video calls are arranged. We both had, separate, calls from immigration to our landline. My husband could not understand a word his caller said (he has a little hearing difficulty which he has yet to acknowledge Laughing ) but apparently the callers accent was strong. Mine spoke good enough English but kept calling me 'dear' which was a bit irritating.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Orange200, it might be fairly straightforward for you by July. Austria made a load of announcements today, and tucked in there was this bit about international travel:
ORF wrote:
The risk areas are colored green, orange, red and dark red on the ECDC map. There should be three categories for entry into Austria in the future: There should be no requirements for entry from countries classified as green. If you come from a red or orange country, you either have to show proof of vaccination, a test or proof of a previous infection , analogous to the "3-G rules" for the "Green Pass", which also apply to openings from 19. May.

The 3-G rules are access for people with evidence of vaccination, recovery or testing. As this is supposed to be EU wide, or some slight variation, you should be able to get away with carrying a test or vacc cert, as far as Calais as long as no-one has a major outbreak in the meantime. Infection rates here are now dropping rapidly, and I’d expect that to be fairly universal across the bloc.

Therefore, the UK is likely to be your wildcard in the planning, but hopefully they’ll sort out a reciprocal agreement soon enough, as the rates there are good enough that the rest of the EU will be happy for the tourism.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boobleblooble wrote:
@telford_mike, the lockdown situation is similar across Europe: you know what I mean. At what point would you disobey the gov't?

OK I'll bite Very Happy I wouldn’t disobey your government, because you gave them a mandate to make the rules, and it’s your country. And I certainly wouldn’t disobey mine, as I am not native to my country of choice, and criminality amongst immigrants usually results in expulsion.

How about you?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Surely if you're an immigrant who could be expelled the UK is still your gov't?

So you're saying there is nothing at all the gov't could order you to do that you would disobey? Good thing European gov'ts have been paragons of virtue, and that WW2 and the Soviet Union were utopias.

As for me? I've disobeyed virtually all the C19 rules. Why wouldn't I? They've been the most immoral and (borderline) tyrannical rules imposed in this country for centuries and for what? A death toll (now thought to be vastly overestimated) over 200k of the eldest and weakest. Even during the Spanish and Hong Kong 'flu pandemics no-one was stupid enough to recommend that which we've done.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
boobleblooble wrote:
...the lockdown situation is similar across Europe...

Except Sweden. I wonder how that's going?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1139048/coronavirus-case-rates-in-the-past-7-days-in-europe-by-country/
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@adithorp, a far better test is excess deaths to date. You’ll find Sweden way down near the bottom, about half the U.K. level: https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/coronavirus-excess-deaths-tracker
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

As for me? I've disobeyed virtually all the C19 rules. Why wouldn't I?

Ah! another one of thse who feels laws and rules are for other people to follow and not them.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Scarlet, Thank you so much for that.
I'll revisit in a month.
(Provided this thread hasn't sunk under the usual arguments by then.)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boobleblooble wrote:
Surely if you're an immigrant who could be expelled the UK is still your gov't?

Not really. I pay my taxes etc to CH, so they’re my government. No taxation without representation, etc.

boobleblooble wrote:
So you're saying there is nothing at all the gov't could order you to do that you would disobey? Good thing European gov'ts have been paragons of virtue, and that WW2 and the Soviet Union were utopias.

Not at all, but all we're talking about here is a few trivial lockdown restrictions. That's a typical Covid-denier troll challenge. I don't live in the Soviet Union, (which no longer exists). I live where it suits me. CH is no utopia, but for me, it’s as good as it gets at the moment.

boobleblooble wrote:

As for me? I've disobeyed virtually all the C19 rules. Why wouldn't I? They've been the most immoral and (borderline) tyrannical rules imposed in this country for centuries and for what? A death toll (now thought to be vastly overestimated) over 200k of the eldest and weakest. Even during the Spanish and Hong Kong 'flu pandemics no-one was stupid enough to recommend that which we've done.

I do wonder how you've managed to break all the rules. How can you go to a pub or restaurant if it’s closed? Heaven forbid you ever find yourself amongst the 'eldest and the weakest' - I seem to recall a certain German regime had a similar lack of scruples. Who decides who is old or weak? - You? With this comment, you reveal yourself as a fascist, and as much as I have enjoyed our discourse so far, I will have no more of it. The eldest and weakest are those most deserving of our care.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@telford_mike, well they're not though are they: you're a foreigner and I assume also not able to vote? You're a Brit as far as the Swiss are concerned.

I'm not sure how you can describe being placed under house arrest, businesses forced to close, forced covering of faces and all the massive amounts of tax money to pay for it as "trivial". I'd be interested to know that which you'd describe as 'serious'. There's only one type of denier and that's a Holocaust denier. Stop using a specific term for something else. It's tedious and reminds me of the same people who moan about the 'MSM' and 'climate-deniers'. My very obvious point is that governments are frequently corrupt and even wicked so why are you so willing to hand over personal freedom to them? You've still refused to say what you would refuse to do if the gov't told you.

Brilliant, 'you're a Nazi' with a dose of sentimentalism and pomposity to finish. The point is that the eldest and weakest are the most likely to be killed by a respiratory virus: they die every year in 'flu season in their tens of thousands and we don't shut down the country to cope. I am amused you've failed to reply to my point about previous pandemics: what is so different about this one that it necessitated our reaction? Nothing. Unlike Spanish Flu for example it didn't kill the young and fit who are required to keep the country operating.

I even had one nutter on here tell me that without restrictions society would've collapsed and there would've been fights over food. The fact that Sweden has had average C19 deaths and low overall deaths compared to Europe seems not to bear that out.

Christ it's tiresome. In the space of a little over a year things previously thought of as lunacy and NEVER previously employed have been accepted almost without question. A perfect storm of political polarisation, cultural collapse and simple cowardice from decades of easy living have made us weak.
latest report
@johnE, no not at all. I've encouraged everyone I can to break them wherever possible. Have you seen the headlines today? We're soon to be allowed to hug other people. Don't you see how lunatic that is? Does that not penetrate your mind at all?
snow report
You

Are

Mentals

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-57046811
snow report
boobleblooble wrote:
...... A perfect storm of political polarisation, cultural collapse and simple cowardice from decades of easy living have made us weak.
By "us" I guess you don't actually mean yourself, which may I humbly suggest is manifestly precisely the problem you have.
snow conditions
@philwig, I mean us as a country and in the West in general. There are plenty of others who disagree with the C19 regulations as well, note the large demonstrations in a number of countries. If you feel it's easier to suggest I'm a narcissist or loony fill your boots: my questions above remain.
ski holidays
boobleblooble wrote:
Have you seen the headlines today? We're soon to be allowed to hug other people. Don't you see how lunatic that is?

Hugging was never prohibited in the first place - it was just a recommendation. Your usual hysterical hyperbole.
snow report
@LaForet, really? At one stage you weren't allowed to have sex with someone else if they lived in a different house. People actually followed this rule. In fact all physical contact between those who lived separately was banned. Facts aren't hyperbole.
latest report
boobleblooble wrote:
@LaForet, really? At one stage you weren't allowed to have sex with someone else if they lived in a different house. People actually followed this rule. In fact all physical contact between those who lived separately was banned. Facts aren't hyperbole.

They just didn't like you, but this was an easy excuse. Don't worry, there will be another reason for rejection next week.
ski holidays
This thread is getting decidely weird
Quote:

note the large demonstrations in a number of countries.

A few demos with a few hundred people are not large demonstrations. OK you always get some people who think that stopping them blowing cicarette smoke in your face is impinging their civil liberties or breathing their covid virus over you in a supermarket is somehow their right to do it. People have gone to prison for deliberatey infecting others with AIDS. Why cannot the same rules be aplied to these covid deniers?
ski holidays
boobleblooble wrote:

No, it was only ever guidance. (https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/10/end-of-englands-hug-ban-highlights-confusion-over-law-and-guidance)
snow report
I know this thread is about testing, but!!!!! The daily call to check if you are obeying quarantine rules is mind numbingly boring, and tedious, in large part because they repeat pretty much the same spiel every day from the prompt sheet they obviously have to go through. I make no wonder one of them told me how rude most folk are to them, those making the calls sound really stupid, not their fault, the fault of the system.

I was asked for my day 2 results but didn`t know. They seem surprised, but the results are not yet available, even a couple of hours after the call!!!
snow conditions
@CaravanSkier, I've had two phone calls. Really odd and I've just finished.
snow report
#boobleblooble 1+
ski holidays
I found it amusing after a couple of minutes in, especially after I've been chatting with them about other stuff, when they ask "do you want to continue in English" Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Weathercam wrote:
I found it amusing after a couple of minutes in, especially after I've been chatting with them about other stuff, when they ask "do you want to continue in English" Laughing

Can you say at that point "No, Serbo-Croat please"? Then if they find an appropriate speaker say "Sorry I don't understand you didn't ask me to specify a language I was fluent in"
snow report
Weathercam wrote:

Having been chatting in English (I think my English is pretty perfect) I flummoxed my one by saying what other language would you use? On reflection I should probably have said it in another language Laughing But actually I do feel quite sorry for those making the call, its not their fault the process they have to go through is inane!
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Weathercam wrote:

Can you say at that point "No, Serbo-Croat please"? Then if they find an appropriate speaker say "Sorry I don't understand you didn't ask me to specify a language I was fluent in"

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Anyone know a provider that does a video test for Day 5 test to release? I‘m sure I‘ve read about them but I cannot find one. Arriving in the UK on a Monday (Day 0) means Day 5 is a Saturday.

All the test providers I’ve found enthusiastically proclaim that all you have to do is „post it back“ via some special post-box and you‘ll have your results a mere 12-36 hours after their lab has received your sample. They also seem to imply the test won‘t be received much before Day 5 so maybe not until the Saturday post. Even assuming the completed test makes the Saturday post out again that means it won‘t be at the lab till Monday morning earliest (Day 7) with results then anticipated Monday evening at the earliest. If it only arrives at home in the Saturday post and then doesn‘t leave till Monday then it would be Day 8 evening at the earliest.

Location is rural Yorkshire. So, basically, a video option with instant results would be perfect.
ski holidays
Gämsbock wrote:
So, basically, a video option with instant results would be perfect.
Are those Test To Release kits Lateral Flow tests, or PCR tests? I've not looked in to it, but I had assumed they were PCR tests which would mean it's not possible to get instant results as the sample would require processing in a lab.
latest report
As far as I can see the test must be PCR and the video call is to supervise you taking the swabs. There is no instant result option Sad
snow conditions
@rob@rar, they were video supervised antigen tests.

Not sure I see the point in a Day 5 test you don’t get the results of till Day 7 if you are lucky, more likely Day 8-9?
snow conditions
@Gämsbock, it’s just a way of extracting more cash. How much will all the testing cost you? I won’t be going back there until the whole test/quarantine system has been dropped and you can get it with a pass much the same as the rest of Europe. Most of Central Europe is in a much better state than the UK anyway, so it feels even more of a rip off.
snow report
@Gämsbock, you could always go and get a test, you are allowed out for that.
snow report
Having done it beggining of May it was ironic that to get into the UK all that was required was an AntiGen test done FOC French pharmacy, we did test to release which was good as Day 5 was on a Wed and OH got her result late the next day and I was circa Noon Day 7 so worth it in my books. Ironically I used the same outfit three weeks later for my test to depart and the result came back invalid, so was a mad rush to get an AntiGen test locally and I was well ripped off for that !
Just hope when we come back first week in August that an AntiGen will suffice if testing is still necessary?
snow conditions
@Scarlet, yes, I’m rapidly coming to that conclusion rolling eyes. Cost: a small fortune, I don’t really want to add it up to be honest, especially as SnowPenguin has to go twice. Day 5 isn’t a big cost in relation to the others (2x fit to fly, Day 2, Day 8 ) and worth it if the results come back by say Day 6. It’s particularly frustrating as we will be fully vaccinated at time of travel. We haven’t been to the UK since August last year (haven’t left CH in that time either) but going back to the UK this July/August isn’t really optional - as long as it’s legally possible, we have to go, but we’d really prefer not to lose our entire summer to quarantine in various directions.

@Chris_n, thanks - we originally thought that wasn’t possible as all the in person providers on the GOV website seemed to be London based but we just discovered that Boots do it (not listed on the Gov website so that list appears to be incomplete).

@Weathercam, yes, I’m really hoping they will remove the quarantine requirement for fully vaccinated and go down to just an antigen test for entry. But I’m not that optimistic of it before we have to fly.
ski holidays
Gämsbock wrote:
@rob@rar, they were video supervised antigen tests.
Thanks. I’m surprised at that, as those tests are less reliable than PCR.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy