Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Schengen 90/180 rule being enforced for Brits at Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@countryman, that is a particularly thoughtless post.

I've spent the last 15 years living and working in Europe, greatly facilitated in very many regards by the UK being in the EU.

brexshit has been a very serious P.I.T.A. (and at times potentially pension destroying scale expensive).

How would you like it if the country you had chosen to live in, contribute to, work, pay taxes and social contributions in suddenly turned round to you and said, "look, we're really sorry, but you are no longer allowed to live here (without running thru certain hoops, at your cost)?"

In my last job I regularly spent 3-4 days a week "abroad" plus a couple of full weeks a quarter. So about 210 days travelling on business across Europe (p.s. business travel is not glamourous). That would have meant me counting days, and probably meant none left for holidays.

Envious now?

If not, you may be amused to hear that I've skied around 40 days this year, although the ratio of time up:down is about 10:1 Twisted Evil
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Au contraire, your post merely proves the point. The gilded few.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
countryman wrote:
In what way does making life more difficult for the small minority of people who for personal or professional reasons spend a lot of time across the EU, benefit the much larger minority who might have a couple of holidays in an EU country amounting to three or four weeks a year?

Is there something beyond petty jealousy that I'm missing?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@iainm, I suspect that is not going to be so easy. Maybe some countries, such as France, will be happy to give out longer term "tourist" visas but they will come with strings, like the requirement to take out suitable health insurance, proof of income and quite possibly entry and exit into Schengen via the country in question. Clearly France would be the ideal from a UK perspective but not sure how willing the French will be to give out lots of such visas to Brits with no connection to the country (as opposed to second home owners). As with so much of this no one has any real idea.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar wrote:
countryman wrote:
In what way does making life more difficult for the small minority of people who for personal or professional reasons spend a lot of time across the EU, benefit the much larger minority who might have a couple of holidays in an EU country amounting to three or four weeks a year?

Is there something beyond petty jealousy that I'm missing?

Doesn't look like it to me ...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
countryman wrote:

How the actual f*ck?

My wife and I chose to accept probably lower salaries to move our professional lives closer to mountains that we love.

We worked and continue to work, pretty hard I'd say, and for most of those 15 years with 2 jobs each - running our own business while doing full time corporate work.

In a (to me) foreign language, having to learn and adapt to (at least) 3 new and different social, economic, corporate, legal, tax and cultural systems (for 13 of the 15 years our own business was in a different country from our home and corporate jobs) (2 country systems, one cross border system, oh, and understanding over-arching EU blanket legislations).

So, just how and why are we "gilded"?

Just how and why?

Tw@t
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When we returned from CH to UK recently via a few days in France in a UK registered car, none of the borders showed any interest in asking how long we had been anywhere. Unless the border posts have ANPR type equipment linked to a database, they didn't know how long in which country. We left UK late December.

A national visa allows 90/180 in other Schengen countries.
Breaking the rules and caught - I recall a 2 year ban??
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@colinstone, that's interesting. I found a document from 2015 when the migrant crisis was starting. The Council of the EU asked various member states about their over-stayer policies. Some (like Switzerland) were pretty tough and some friends of mine recently went through Geneva (March) and were given the third degree. They'd arrived before Jan 1st so didn't have a stamp. They also take into account whether you were in another Schengen country beforehand.

France however stated that all they cared about was the overstay in France and that was it. They weren't at that time issuing bans at the border either. This seems to be borne out by an article in an English-language expats magazine called "Connexion". This article quoted an official who said that anyone caught within the country would likely be given thirty days to leave and nothing more would be said, although the overstay would be noted and referred to in future.

There currently isn't a pan-EU system for tracking the visa-exempt although they aim to have one up and running in 2022 (ETIAS). This will ping you if you enter via France and then try to leave via, say, Spain 90+ days later.

In terms of penalties if varies hugely. If you overstay in France it's a small fee for the cost of a long-stay visa but if it's longer they'll take note of it. Holland state on their immigration website that it's a pan-Schengen ban for a year minimum for overstay of between 3 and 90 days (!).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@munich_irish, the French offer one-year tourist visas. They ask for proof that you won't engage in work, have enough funds to stay (bank statements) and a passport with validity for a certain period. You'll also need health insurance for the entire period. Lastly, a letter to show you have somewhere to stay.

It's a faff but if you don't need to work for an entire season then the above isn't too tortuous. A letter from the rental agency for your flat, ask your bank for three months of paper records and buy insurance as you would normally.

It costs 99 euro to apply.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@boobleblooble, for some of us, as owners of a properly registered business in France, it may be nigh on impossible to not do some work-related activity, even if we were staying in our apartment. Updating websites, completing tax returns, taking deposits for future bookings etc etc.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Hells Bells, oh yes I know. I wasn't really carrying on the thread squabble about working etc I was just directly answering those posts. Of course with a VPN you could appear to be doing those things from the UK?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
countryman wrote:

You have it the wrong way round. Now it's only for the gilded few, but before Brexit any normal working Brit could spend as long as they wanted in the EU.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@countryman, Sounds like you should have worked harder at school wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@boobleblooble, if that's true (I have no reason to doubt that it is) that is not going to be a lot of use to many here. Whilst I am sure the French authorities are not likely to check in any great detail as to what you do whilst in France you would have to persuade them in the first place you have enough cash in the bank to support your lifestyle for the year you plan to spend in France. I doubt that standard travel insurance will be acceptable for health insurance either. That is not going to be an option for many. As has been pointed out, no big issue for those with plenty of cash, not so easy for the rest.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Having drawn my state pension at the end of last year, I have earmarked it for post BREXIT travel costs - health insurance, visas and Covid tests etc etc. Looks like it will go on all of that.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy