Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss air ski carriage

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

I've check and this topic was discussed before but since airline polices are always changing and I've never travelled with swiss air I 'm having some doubts regarding their policy for ski carriage. So in the classic economic fare (Lisbon to Zurich) we can bring the snow sport equipment free of charge plus a normal bag that is included in the air fare (23kg). My question is: is the bag where we carry the snow equipment subject to restrictions in terms of total dimensions (width + height + depth)? I'm asking this because TAP also announces that we can transport a ski bag free of charge but in the end this bag needs to be within the normal total dimensions of a baggage which is impossible in case of an adult's equipment ( not exceed 158 cm in total width + height + depth).

Thank you! Blush
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
https://www.swiss.com/ch/en/prepare/baggage/sports-equipment

It's free as long as you don't exceed your 23kg in total.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@telford_mike, skis are free in addition to your normal 23g

"In addition to your baggage allowance, we transport ski equipment (except on Economy Light fares) free of charge."

@MarianaOsorio35, normal length ski bag is fine
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the quick repplies! @telford_mike @holidayloverxx Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just need to make sure you book their Classic of Business fares. I find it easier to book on their own website rather than one of the flight comparison websites as they sometimes only quote the Economy Light (baggage free) fares. Also keep an eye out for voucher codes, they used to offer these quite regularly giving £25 off European flights.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Swiss no longer gives out the free bar & food - bloody travesty, but the chocolate is still there!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Nadenoodlee, it wouldn't be Swiss if they didn't give out the chocolate! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I seem to remember you have to book your equipment bag separately by calling them after you have book your flight. No charge but I'm sure I had to call them to reserve a spot.

It's that long since I hit the slopes I could be totally wrong of course!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@russ_e, is that not lufthansa?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
holidayloverxx wrote:

Correct, no need to do so with Swiss Airlines.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
holidayloverxx wrote:

You could be right!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Swissair went bust in 2002! Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
LOTA wrote:
Swissair went bust in 2002! Very Happy

Correct. The airline that calls itself just 'Swiss' in its advertising actually has the formal name of Swiss International Airlines
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
russ_e wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

You could be right!

Yes, this is Lufthansa. If you have a Swiss segment in a Lufthansa booking, Lufthansa will tell you that you must ring Swiss to confirm, but if/when you do this, Swiss will be very confused (and tell you that you don't need to).

There is no need to ring Swiss to confirm ski carriage.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sorry to revive an old topic. In the FAQ on the Swiss Air website:

Quote:
Can I take ski equipment with me free of charge?
Yes, in addition to your checked baggage, you can transport your ski or snowboard equipment at no extra charge on all flights operated by SWISS (including wet lease). Your checked baggage must be within the required dimensions for size and weight. This offer does not apply to flights booked on Economy Light fares and to codeshare flights, or connecting flights to the USA where one leg is a codeshare flight.

For the required dimensions for size and weight their website says:
Quote:
max. 2 bags 1 bag containing one pair of skis OR one snowboard 1 bag containing one pair of ski poles and one pair of ski shoes OR snowboard shoes 1 helmet

It specifically mentions one pair of skis. I'm wondering if I could sneak in two pairs there. I have a sportube that can carry two pairs of skis. The total weight will be under 23kg. Is there anyway they can check I have more than one pair of skis there?

I'll be flying out from London City to Geneva if that matters.
ski holidays
@euanovsky, they didn’t check the contents on our last trip in April (two pairs), just the weight.
latest report
@ster, Thanks good to know! In their website they didn't mention any weight limits - only says the maximum weight they will carry for another bags is 32kg

Also how did you fit four pairs of skis in one bag? Were those xc skis? Puzzled

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 28-09-22 19:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@euanovsky, I've taken two pairs in one bag on Swiss/Lufthansa several times. Never an issue, they just weigh the bag then send you round to outsize baggage to get it loaded.
snow conditions
@euanovsky, there will be weight limit somewhere which is usually their normal bag limit for yr ticket. The 32kg is usually the max a bag can be if you are allowed or have paid for a certain allowance.

Oops, have edited to two in my post, as this trip with Swiss we had 2 ski bags, but I have got four pairs in a bag before, albeit one pair was kids. Had to remove the bindings to meet the weight requirement and to fit them into one bag.
ski holidays
@ster, ah thanks for clarifying
ski holidays
This is all very interesting and conflicting.

We flew with Swiss in Jan and they charged us 80e each for snowboard carriage.
We were not on economy light and our flight tickets included 1 checked in bag and according to their website "Yes, in addition to your checked baggage, you can transport your ski or snowboard equipment at no extra charge on all flights operated by SWISS"
https://www.swiss.com/br/en/customer-support/faq/sports-equipment
The desk person at bag drop stated "yes, they are free on your flight tariff but you have to pre-register them by ringing in" which is also in contradiction to the above link "No, you don’t have to register your ski equipment in advance"
The desk person said we either pay the 80e or the boards do not come with us - so that was that
Funnily enough, there was no issue on the return journey - we rang Swiss Air the night before and asked them to register our snowboard bags which they did, but the lady on the phone said this was not necessary!!

On return, we filed a complaint which ended with "This present message is final. Do not reply to this email as any response will not be processed. "
So we rang Swiss Air and ended up speaking to somebody who told us we should not have been charged and to email customer relations with Lufthansa (the owners apparently), which we did and they said to fill out the online form for complaints, which we did.
THIS response is now telling us that "Sport equipment will be count as baggage." which again, is in contradiction to their website.

Obviously, I'm not looking for legal advise on this forum - but what on earth would you do in this situation?
ski holidays
Personally log a formal complaint.... ensure it is titled "Formal Complaint" as opposed to filling in a complaint via website. Right it as a letter to head office, listing everything spelling out all dates times correspondence. In a way if you were presentig evidence to court. State in letter you now have no choice but to take them to the small claims court as your next course of action which you initiate in 14 days from receipt of letter and send recorded delivery.

But then I love a good fight Smile
ski holidays
@elefantfresh, i would also be downloading the web pages and storing screen shots so as to have proof for case in case they go and change them!

Did you right down the name of individual at the desk? When in similar situations. I always before have to bow down to pay for something I shouldnt ensure I take the persons name (I specifically request it).
ski holidays
Thank you folks - I have screenshots and all the emails and receipts saved - I found these people yesterday and think I might submit everything to them and see what they have to say.
https://www.eccireland.ie/contact-us/

There is a phone number so it might even be better to get to speak to somebody for advice
You know what, its not even about the 80e - I hate being BS'd to and charged incorrectly - no issue at all paying 80e if it costs 80e..
ski holidays
Some Swiss flights clearly state that they operate under Lufthansa conditions which include pre registering skis and boards.
My flight for the PSB was one of these, I registered and had no problems.
ski holidays
Sounds like the check-in desk jockey mixed up the Swiss policy (no need to let them know in advance about a ski bag) with Lufthansa’s where you are supposed to let them know in advance, they probably check-in customers for both airline as both are part of the same group.

I would expect you’d get your refund as long as you fare class allowed the ski bag, it might take a while though, it me a bit to get some tax I was due back from Swiss.

Take it up with Swiss directly as thats who you flew with and into whose coffers the 80e went. I am surprised the Swiss telephone helpdesk wont log the claim for you, but ring a few times if no joy, as as with the check-in agent it sometimes depends which call agent you get as to what they know.

As an aside, at which airport was this?
snow report
elefantfresh wrote:
Thank you folks - I have screenshots and all the emails and receipts saved - I found these people yesterday and think I might submit everything to them and see what they have to say.
https://www.eccireland.ie/contact-us/

There is a phone number so it might even be better to get to speak to somebody for advice
You know what, its not even about the 80e - I hate being BS'd to and charged incorrectly - no issue at all paying 80e if it costs 80e..

Yèp, I am the same, get it entirely
ski holidays
@elefantfresh, Thanks for the heads up. I'm due to fly with them this week from London to Geneva.

Out of curiosity did you show them what's on the website or get them to speak with their colleagues/supervisor at the time of check in for your outbound flight?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Said it to the desk guy - told him what the website said - didn't show him the screenshots - he just simply didn't want to know - he said that he was the only one there at the time
He was a 3rd party, if that makes any difference
Didn't ask for a supervisor as I was just too wound up!
ski holidays
@elefantfresh, sorry to hear about your experience. Hope you'll get it refunded!
ski holidays
Knowing what I know now, I'd print out the screenshots onto actual paper and I'd hold up the line until somebody senior came
I'd also ring them the night before to confirm the ski bags - giving them no excuse or wiggle room
Shame that it would come to that
latest report
Just a word of warning to anyone else who may get caught by this, I have just been looking at booking tickets for December and this is the wording "Fare Conditions and Baggage Information" for the flights that I chose.

Quote:
For this journey, the baggage rules of the Lufthansa Group airlines apply. Please inform yourself about details prior to travel commencement.

For booking an extra sports, excess or special baggage please contact the Service Centre once you have received your booking code.
ski holidays
From the SWISS website: The first ski/snow equipment is free of charge in addition to the standard free baggage allowance on all LX operated flights (including wetlease). The fee only applies if it exceeds the free baggage allowance in weight and/or number of pieces. Does not apply to codeshare flights or combined flights with other airlines from, to or via the USA. Does not apply to the Economy Light fare.

I've flown with SWISS loads of times from Heathrow to both Geneva and Zurich. Never had any discussions about free ski carriage with any ground agent. Just accepted, checked in, tagged and taken to the outsized baggage desk. Perhaps the key is the LX prefix - SWISS flights rather than codeshare or Lufthansa flights.
snow conditions
Timc wrote:
Just a word of warning to anyone else who may get caught by this, I have just been looking at booking tickets for December and this is the wording "Fare Conditions and Baggage Information" for the flights that I chose.

Quote:
For this journey, the baggage rules of the Lufthansa Group airlines apply. Please inform yourself about details prior to travel commencement.

For booking an extra sports, excess or special baggage please contact the Service Centre once you have received your booking code.

Hi Tim, where can I find this nugget of info on the Swiss site, as we have just booked Classic Economy flights precisely because, as I read it, you can/could include ski carriage in addition to the included check-in allowance?

Thanks

..Nick
snow conditions
Hi Nick,
I was going through booking process, had chosen flights and on to the "configure your trip" page where it shows flights and has a few drop-down headings "Passengers,Fare Conditions and Baggage Information and Mileage Credit". Click on baggage etc and a window opens below. If you check out Lufthansa rules then they state that the winter sports goods are free but must be pre registered

For the PSB I had to ring the call centre though it looks like it can be done online from the link.

Not sure how to check once booked but expect there will be a similar link from your booking.

Personally I would rather have to preregister my skis than have them left behind like they did one year when PSB coincided with Ski Club and Varsity week when a lot of passengers turned up with skis and boards which put them overweight for a full flight.
latest report
Timc wrote:
Hi Nick,
I was going through booking process, had chosen flights and on to the "configure your trip" page where it shows flights and has a few drop-down headings "Passengers,Fare Conditions and Baggage Information and Mileage Credit". Click on baggage etc and a window opens below. If you check out Lufthansa rules then they state that the winter sports goods are free but must be pre registered

Brilliant, thanks Tim, I have now found that Lufthansa hyperlink.

I will give them a call and pre-register.

Ta.

..Nick

For the PSB I had to ring the call centre though it looks like it can be done online from the link.

Not sure how to check once booked but expect there will be a similar link from your booking.

Personally I would rather have to preregister my skis than have them left behind like they did one year when PSB coincided with Ski Club and Varsity week when a lot of passengers turned up with skis and boards which put them overweight for a full flight.
latest report
I flew with them before (last time being a few years ago). Never had any issues. But out of plenty of caution I gave them a call tonight and they added it to the booking. Took less than 5 mins.
snow conditions
big_ben wrote:

Ta.

..Nick

@big_ben, It seems Swiss has changed again. I've just booked the same flights as you and now they are being operated by Swiss International Airlines not Lufthansa and skis no longer need to be registered. There are still a few that are operated by Lufthansa where skis need to be registered. Revised baggage FAQS here https://www.swiss.com/br/en/customer-support/faq/sports-equipment

Edit: and then elsewhere on their website is hidden this page which when it's completed https://www.swiss.com/gb/en/prepare/baggage/checked-baggage/baggage-calculator#/
Quote:
Additional free baggage
1x Ski or snowboard equipment
Reservation required
+44 345 601 0956
International service number
1 pair of skis or 1 snowboard, max. 2 pieces of baggage with a max. weight of 23 kg and a max. length of 200 cm per person
Detailed information
- 1 pair of skis or a snowboard counts as a piece of baggage in this case. A pair of ski poles and a pair of ski or snowboard boots count as a further piece of baggage. You may take a helmet as well.
- You can find more information on our dedicated winter sport page.

I rang the number and was told I had to register. They wanted length and weight of the equipment and then confirmed registration.

Talk about confusing. Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 28-03-23 12:42; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I wasn't sure what the rules are but I flew with Swiss Air twice recently (two return trips) and I did call them up. My friends didn't and didn't seem to have any troubles checking their skis in.
snow conditions
Timc wrote:
big_ben wrote:

Ta.

..Nick

@big_ben, It seems Swiss has changed again. I've just booked the same flights as you and now they are being operated by Swiss International Airlines not Lufthansa and skis no longer need to be registered. There are still a few that are operated by Lufthansa where skis need to be registered. Revised baggage FAQS here https://www.swiss.com/br/en/customer-support/faq/sports-equipment

Thanks for the update Tim.
I went full belt and braces and sent Swiss and email, and they confirmed what you have said above, that our ski bags are accepted in addition to the checked in luggage.
See you soon!
..Nick
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy