Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UK removed from the Switzerland High Risk countries list

Poster: A snowHead
Yes my reason for travel was on the list. However that paperwork wasn’t checked anyway..I think it all depends on who is on the desk at the time! Coming back was a different experience though they wanted to see everything and asked a lot of questions.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh for crying out loud we are back on the high risk list and so have to quarantine. Fairly irrelevant as most of us are still not meant to be going there according to Swiss rules (at least not by air).

https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/empfehlungen-fuer-reisende/liste.html
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh great. We're in the U.K. at the moment seeing friends & family. Might wait a bit and see whether this blows over.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh no, that is really not good news. Thanks for the update.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nothing new for anyone who has followed this thread but the video posted on the Berne Embassy’s Facebook page is a useful short summary (although the summary is based on the England rules rather than other UK nations).

https://fb.watch/5QgoDNJA-e/
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
UK nationals had to quarantine anyway. Only Swiss or EU EFTA were allowed in from the UK.

I'm waiting to go to a pharma company in Ch and looked into it about 20 days ago.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/switzerland-to-lift-entry-ban-for-vaccinated-third-country-nationals-including-us-uk-canada/

Latest rumour I have noted. Although the approach to unvaccinated children is not mentioned.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Skimum1, also officially here (sorry, in German as they didn’t translate this page to English).
https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/de/home/das-bag/aktuell/medienmitteilungen.msg-id-83938.html

It says the final decision will be made on 23rd June.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Gämsbock, Danke schön! That's good to read.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
That is really good to hear as I have a trip booked for 12 July...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

Woohoo!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Skimum1, @iainm, @telford_mike, that‘s great news for me as a Swiss resident in that I can now go to the UK and not have to quarantine on return to CH. However, there is no change to the rules on entry for third countries, so there is still no entry for tourism from the UK (i.e. my family cannot yet visit).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gämsbock wrote:
@Skimum1, @iainm, @telford_mike, that‘s great news for me as a Swiss resident in that I can now go to the UK and not have to quarantine on return to CH. However, there is no change to the rules on entry for third countries, so there is still no entry for tourism from the UK (i.e. my family cannot yet visit).

Are you sure about this? I've just had something from ST that says:

Quote:
As of 26th June, guests from the UK will be allowed to enter Switzerland without having to quarantine if they can show proof of being fully vaccinated
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@iainm, not 100% sure no. Here it says no
https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/en/home/sem/aktuell/entry-restrictions-to-third-countries.html

Quote:
Normal entry requirements apply to persons entering Switzerland from Schengen states, EU member states, certain small European states and certain states outside Europe.

Normal entry requirements
For all other third-country citizens travelling directly from a high-risk country, entry restrictions apply when they enter Switzerland, for example for a holiday, visit or other reason. Persons who do not have rights of free movement will not be permitted to enter Switzerland from a high-risk country for stays of less than 90 days that do not require authorisation, other than in cases of special necessity.

but this might still need to be updated following the announcement earlier?

However, the announcement earlier specifically mentions entry now being permitted from other third countires (those listed are all non-variant of concern countries).
Quote:

Restrictions on entering Switzerland to be relaxed
The Federal Council has also decided to relax the requirements for entering Switzerland, as it proposed in the consultation. Persons entering from the Schengen area will no longer be required to quarantine. The requirement to be tested will now apply only to persons arriving by plane who have not been vaccinated or have not recovered from COVID-19. Contact details will still be required when arriving by plane. In addition, Switzerland is easing the existing entry restrictions for persons arriving from third countries who can prove they have been vaccinated. The list of countries issued by the State Secretariat for Migration (SEM) has been amended accordingly. It is now once again possible for third-country citizens travelling from countries such as the USA, Albania or Serbia to enter Switzerland.

The full announcement from earlier today is here, in English.
https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/das-bag/aktuell/medienmitteilungen.msg-id-84127.html
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This is what the email I've just received

Quote:
The Swiss government has announced a major step towards a full return of international travel after the global pandemic. As of 26th June, guests from the UK will be allowed to enter Switzerland without having to quarantine if they can show proof of being fully vaccinated. The same rule applies to the U.S. and many other important source markets for the Swiss tourism industry. For travel within the EU/Schengen there will be no more restrictions. Proven safety concepts are in place to facilitate an enjoyable yet safe holiday experience.

The desire to travel is increasing at a steady pace and many are now planning their trips for the summer and autumn. The Swiss government stated that it is adhering to the opening strategy of the EU/Schengen area, and will open the country’s borders to vaccinated travelers from 26 June, just in time for summer and autumn holidays. With the UK as the second most important European source market for Switzerland, this step is very much welcomed by the Swiss tourism industry.

UK residents who have been fully vaccinated or have recovered from Covid, will be allowed to enter without quarantine. This will make Switzerland easily accessible to British guests and should make it again a popular destination this summer. Guests appreciate - especially after the pandemic - Switzerland's reliability, cleanliness, safety and pure nature.
ski holidays
@iainm, not sure who/what ST are - but it sounds like a rather optimistic interpretation of an admittedly not 100% clear announcement.
latest report
Gämsbock wrote:

The full announcement from earlier today is here, in English.
https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/das-bag/aktuell/medienmitteilungen.msg-id-84127.html

This says:
Quote:
persons who have been vaccinated or who have recovered do not have to produce a negative test even when travelling from countries where the Delta variant is widespread (such as India or the United Kingdom) and do not have to quarantine on entry.
snow report
@iainm, yes, but you still have to have right of entry per the SEM list. Per the SEM page, UK citizens don‘t currently, but the last update to that page was 7th June so they may be changing it in light of today‘s announcement. I hope they do, but I wouldn‘t book flights until it‘s confirmed. But basically the first question is „do I have right of entry into Switzerland?“ and only if the answer is yes does the quarantine question apply.

https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/en/home/sem/aktuell/entry-restrictions-to-third-countries.html
ski holidays
Gämsbock wrote:

We are also Swiss residents, but, like you, we are very much hoping to have some visitors this summer. There's a note on the SEM page stating that they'll provide an update on entry for tourists from 3rd countries by the end of June.
snow report
And what with Frau Merkel pushing for the EU to quarantine all UK visitors as well, again I’m losing faith a bit. But will keep checking this thread… thanks to those in the know for the updates and discussion.
latest report
@Gämsbock, in the press conf and in the papers it said those from 3rd country with delta variant can come if double vaccinated without testing or quarantine.
latest report
“In practice, this means that persons who have been vaccinated or who have recovered do not have to produce a negative test even when travelling from countries where the Delta variant is widespread (such as India or the United Kingdom) and do not have to quarantine on entry. The vaccines used in Switzerland are only slightly less effective against the Delta variant and thus still offer a very high level of protection.“

From BAG.CH link posted above
latest report
@Nadenoodlee, I did not watch the press conference - did it explicitly say including for tourism reasons? As the official links still have restricted entry from the UK for tourism reasons.
snow report
@Gämsbock, yes they wont update until 26th. It explicitly says ‘current situation’ when you open your earlier posted link.
ski holidays
“This website will be updated when the latest decisions come into effect, i.e. on 26 June. In the meantime, you will find the latest information in the press release.”

https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/empfehlungen-fuer-reisende/quarantaene-einreisende.html
ski holidays
@Nadenoodlee, thanks - don‘t suppose you have an official link stating that? Everything I have found still excludes the UK for tourism (though e.g. US is explicitly mentioned) although it‘s clear that CH residents can return without quarantine. My immediate family are split across three countries with various combinations that won‘t allow each other in - so if everyone could come to Switzerland it would be amazing.
latest report
Yes its in the link above, i will also find the webcast link for you.
latest report
@Nadenoodlee, yes, I‘ve seen that but it‘s not clear with respect to UK tourists as it differentiates between third countries and countries with a variant of concern. I might drop the embassy a line.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Gämsbock, its does about 4 messages up and it is the UK press interpretation too
ski holidays
@Nadenoodlee, I‘ve seen the UK press interpretation and I really hope it is the case. But until this page is updated, there‘s nothing to say that UK citizens are even allowed in at all for tourism.

Quote:
A third country citizen may not enter Switzerland from a high-risk country, even if they travel in transit through a country that is not on the high-risk list.
latest report
https://www.newsd.admin.ch/newsd/message/attachments/67287.pdf

Hold off on flights until Saturday? I know it feels like a lot of false starts.
ski holidays
@Nadenoodlee, yes, that‘s basically my feeling - it isn‘t currently clear enough to book flights. I‘ve just listened to the whole press conference and although they clearly say the quarantine requirement will be lifted, they don‘t mention at all changing the the entry restrictions for third country nationals Sad
snow report
It is mentioned in the links above (weirdly they call out US and Serbia). The UK is also mentioned in the links above. On the 26th they will update their website lists. Its only 2 days to go- hang in there.
latest report
Thanks all. Anyone have any ideas how the Swiss will treat UK children accompanying fully vaccinated parents?
ski holidays
Here's the link to the FOPH* page Coronavirus: Federal Council to take further, wide-ranging reopening step and to relax rules on entering Switzerland that describes the proposed updates of 26th June. In particular:

«Entry from a country with a variant of the virus of concern: The current list of high-risk countries issued by the Federal Office of Public Health is to be revised and will only contain countries or regions where virus variants of concern to Switzerland are in circulation. Persons who have been vaccinated or who have recovered from the disease will be permitted to enter Switzerland from these countries or regions without having to be tested or to quarantine as long as it is certain that the vaccination offers good protection. Those who have neither been vaccinated nor have recovered must present a negative PCR test or rapid antigen test and go into quarantine on entry. In practice, this means that persons who have been vaccinated or who have recovered do not have to produce a negative test even when travelling from countries where the Delta variant is widespread (such as India or the United Kingdom) and do not have to quarantine on entry. The vaccines used in Switzerland are only slightly less effective against the Delta variant and thus still offer a very high level of protection.» [my bold type]

[*FOPH - Swiss Federal Office of Public Health]

I interpret this (and the official answer in the New Entry Requirements Q&A document below) as saying that from 26th., UK nationals will only need a full vaccination certificate (for a Swiss-recognised vaccine) to be granted entry to Switzerland. The next hurdle will be for the UK Foreign Office to withdraw its 'recommends travel against' designation of Switzerland, so that over-60s like us can reinstate our travel insurance cover. The various documents are noncommittal about accepting paper or digital certificates from outside the EU**.

@Skimum1 Here is an extract from the supporting Q&A document New Entry Requirements at the end of the above pages.

«Q17. What happens if children and young people enter Switzerland from a country with a variant of concern (VOC)?

From 28 June, a test and quarantine will only be required if the children and young people are entering Switzerland from a country with a variant of concern against which the vaccination does not provide protection (an immuno-evasive variant). If the vaccination does not provide protection against a variant, everyone entering Switzerland, including children and young people, is subject to the test and quarantine requirement.
»

And an encouragingly explicit statement:

«Q22. In the future will travellers from the UK be allowed to enter Switzerland without testing and quarantine if they have been vaccinated?

Yes. In the case of variants against which the vaccination is effective, the quarantine requirement is waived for people who have been vaccinated or who have recovered from COVID
»

________________________________________--

[** Non-integrated certificate solutions pose a genuine problem. A piece of paper can be forged. So QR codes are used. These are of three types: a simple link to a webpage that's effectively a pdf of an official certificate; a character-string that means something to a bespoke scanning app on the official's device; or a link to a page where the official has to enter the printed code which is checked remotely against a database. The trouble is that only the second case is secure - because the official has to download an actual app and have it installed on their device, and the app checks the validity of whatever is in the QR code. In the other cases, you'd just have to mock-up some convincing web pages and it would look OK, but wouldn't be a real system. So I am still a bit worried about whether other countries' immigration services would be comfortable with the UK NHS Covid App or its paper equivalent i.e. the problem isn't with the app/paper, but with how easily or not it can be falsified. However, as it stands, I suspect that the UK app or paper will be accepted because so many people will be vaccinated, have had the virus, or be exempt - the problem will probably be with smaller poorer countries with low vaccine availability.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 27-06-21 12:43; edited 11 times in total
snow conditions
@LaForet, thank you so much, that’s so helpful. I hope very much the FCDO advice will change in due course and your insurance cover will apply again. Hopefully we will hear more on the UK side soon.
snow report
Still no news from SEM, so no admittance for U.K. tourists just yet. The short list of non high-risk countries has still not changed. The FOPH rules change on Saturday, so hopefully by then SEM have updated their list.

snow report
https://www.thelocal.ch/20210614/switzerland-set-to-reopen-its-borders-to-vaccinated-americans/

And Brits. Remember this is building in the Fed announcement of two weeks ago re: tourism
snow conditions
Travelcheck. Useful tool from the Swiss government for would-be travellers to Switzerland.

https://einreisecheck.admin.ch/home
snow report
@telford_mike, thank you this is super helpful!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy