Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The 1 day ski challenge.. can it be done.

Poster: A snowHead
So, my friends and I have pondered the idea of dressing up in our ski/board gear, shoving whatever we can into a rucksack, catching the earliest flight possible from Luton to Geneva, grabbing a transfer to the nearest good resort (Flaine?), hiring skis/boards, doing a day's skiing, and then reversing the journey, getting back into the UK at 10pm ish, and back home in bed for midnight.

Have we had a truly original idea, or has something like this been done? If so, let me know what you did! Cheers!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would be shocked if no-one has done it before. The independent had an article about doing this exact thing back in 2004 (I guess they were not so concerned about carbon footprints back then!). Of course it's doable, the question is more why? For a fraction more you could fly sat morning, stay somewhere overnight and ski all day Sunday too, without needing to take any time off work.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's more just to see if we can do it. How much is a 'fraction'? I'm probably a bit old to stay at the youth hostel.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It will be do-able but one of the main problems is that the hour change goes against you. Even with a 6:30 AM flight, you are already landing at 9:00ish. Hand luggage, so no carousel to negotiate. Single day car hire. Sandwiches en route. You're hiring skis at 11:00AM and on the lift.....

Chances of nothing making a mess of this schedule are 50/50. Every early flight I have taken from EJ has taken off late - Ryanair are better and often have earlier take-off slots. Queue at the car hire desk (Taxi might be more dependable).

Lot of effort for an afternoon on the slopes. Not to mention the cost per day or the environmental costs!

If you pick a Friday or a Monday, you could have 2.5 days which is 5 times more slope time.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's a shame the night train to the Tarentaise doesn't run now.
It was possible to sleep your way down on Friday night, get first lift, ski till they closed and get the overnight back on Saturday.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm fairly sure there are snowHeads who have done a 1 day trip, although I don't recall off-hand, who.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
admin wrote:
It's a shame the night train to the Tarentaise doesn't run now.
It was possible to sleep your way down on Friday night, get first lift, ski till they closed and get the overnight back on Saturday.

Now that sounds like a more pleasurable way to do it!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We tended to use it to give us 8 days skiing out of a week snowHead

There is still a night train from Paris to Briancon (Serre Chevalier) but I've never used it so I don't know what the timings are like.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I love Serre Che, but don't fancy a night time rush across Paris from Lyon to Nord (or is it the other way around).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

If you pick a Friday or a Monday, you could have 2.5 days which is 5 times more slope time

Exactly. Unless you really don't have enough free time that you can't spare more than one day throughout the whole winter, you are unnecessarily constricting yourself immensely for no reason. Go for a long weekend and you get more skiing, cheaper per hour/day skiing costs, and you are not looking at clocks worried that an hour delay here or there is going to ruin everything.

Quote:

It's more just to see if we can do it.

I don't really get the mentality. It's not really a "challenge", you are just lining up flights and hoping everything you have zero control over goes right. For most people the goal is how can I maximise time and quality of skiing with limited funds/time available which makes more sense to me.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snowheads user holidayloverxx has written up what sounds like a very successful version of what you want to do using the train. Probably more expensive than flying but more convenient and less likely to go wrong, plus I would take Les Arcs over Flaine. Unless you're going to arrive in resort prior to lifts opening I would want to being skis and boots with me, you've got precious little time as it is, you don't want to be faffing in the hire shop

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=34681
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
greengriff wrote:
I love Serre Che, but don't fancy a night time rush across Paris from Lyon to Nord (or is it the other way around).
It's a few stops (3 maybe?) on the RER so without skis and luggage, where's the issue?
You can even buy a carnet of metro tickets on the Eurostar before you arrive in Paris.

Like I say, though, never done that one myself so the timings might not be so good.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boarder2020 wrote:
Quote:

If you pick a Friday or a Monday, you could have 2.5 days which is 5 times more slope time

Exactly. Unless you really don't have enough free time that you can't spare more than one day throughout the whole winter, you are unnecessarily constricting yourself immensely for no reason. Go for a long weekend and you get more skiing, cheaper per hour/day skiing costs, and you are not looking at clocks worried that an hour delay here or there is going to ruin everything.

Quote:

It's more just to see if we can do it.

I don't really get the mentality. It's not really a "challenge", you are just lining up flights and hoping everything you have zero control over goes right. For most people the goal is how can I maximise time and quality of skiing with limited funds/time available which makes more sense to me.

It's just meant to be something fun and different for us. It doesn't require too much in the way of deep analysis.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rambotion wrote:
Snowheads user holidayloverxx has written up what sounds like a very successful version of what you want to do using the train. Probably more expensive than flying but more convenient and less likely to go wrong, plus I would take Les Arcs over Flaine. Unless you're going to arrive in resort prior to lifts opening I would want to being skis and boots with me, you've got precious little time as it is, you don't want to be faffing in the hire shop

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=34681

Marvellous, thank you!
latest report
We took 2 of our kids sledging in Avoriaz for a day trip about 16 years ago.
We lived in Essex at the time & flew Stansted - GVA real early, I had a Gold Hertz thing at the time which allowed for fast check in and out, and at the time the desk was in the Main Terminal, and the cars were 3 floors down in the main carpark, so this made picking up and dropping off hire cars much quicker than today.
We had an apartment in Avoriaz at the time, so all the ski gear and sledges were already there.
We left Avoriaz about 5PM and got a flight back around 8PM.
We had a lovely day, and the kids were so tired they slept pretty much the whole way back Smile
snow conditions
admin wrote:
I'm fairly sure there are snowHeads who have done a 1 day trip, although I don't recall off-hand, who.

I did it by eurostar to bourg....twice
latest report
...why, did you fall asleep on the way home and go round again? Wink
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
admin wrote:

Yeah I just read your report. Great work!
snow report
they do lapland trips in a day & that's not far from Levi. So it can be done.
However, maybe you would be better off getting the last flight the day before
snow conditions
greengriff wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:
admin wrote:

Yeah I just read your report. Great work!

Just refreshed my memory..Great day!
ski holidays
Yes-Mr P has done it from LGW to GVA. We do live 15 mins from gatwick airport which helped. There was (and hopefully will still be)-a 6.10am Easyjet flight to GVA, and a range of flights back-the latest was about 9.40pm. We were renting a place in Les Carroz at the time-same ski areas as Flaine, but closer to the airport-1 hour -so there is little point to head the additional 15 mins further up the road to get to Flaine. I think he managed to get on the slopes by just after 10am (but we had a car at the airport long stay at the time).
To maximise slope time-avoid a scheduled transfer-hire a car. If you have boots-take them, though I know with easyJet's new cabin baggage allowance, you may need to pay a little more to take them in the cabin.
You have plenty of time at the end of the ski day to have a bite to eat before heading off to the airport.
snow report
With night skiing in Levi, 4 hour flight and 20 minute transfer I can see how that might work. A lot better than doing Tremblant for a weekend (from the UK). Was so tired on the drive in from Ottawa was close to hallucinating.
ski holidays
Did an Easter weekend drive out to Les Gets and back a few years ago. Huge dump of snow on the Wednesday, decided to go on the Thursday, drove out Friday, skied Saturday and Sunday, drove home Monday. Had a wonderful 2 days skiing with empty slopes. Friends and colleagues thought we were crazy, we knew we were not.
snow conditions
I don't know where any of the resorts are, but might the closest place to geneva be to head north to the Jura mountains?
ski holidays
Here's a good 24H challenge!

http://youtube.com/v/HUWCeAzkc2Q
ski holidays
Yes skiing in a day can be done - I did it today (and am home already), and will do it again tomorrow, and... wink NehNeh
ski holidays
I think Ray Zorro posted his experiences of a day trip but I can't find the thread.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sparklies also did it on the train with mini in tow IIRC...
latest report
"It's just meant to be something fun and different for us. It doesn't require too much in the way of deep analysis"

I like the idea. It's daft but doable and I've often thought about doing it, just for the hell of it. You could ski at Lelex/Crozet, which is only 20 minutes drive from Geneva airport. It's a great little ski area, with enough to keep you busy for a day, and you can ski "over the back" into Switzerland. It has great views of Geneva and its lake (as well as the airport - you can see the ski lift from the airport runway as you get off the plane) and lift passes are less than half the price of the bigger destinations (understandably so, of course).

p.s. I've just spotted that swskier recommend the Jura mountains, which is exactly where Lelex/Crozet is! Very Happy

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 19-03-21 9:09; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
halfhand wrote:
I think Ray Zorro posted his experiences of a day trip but I can't find the thread.

Well remembered!!
I did it 15 years ago now in 2006 - report here https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=11904#228958
Was worth doing it, but there's probably a good reason that I only did it the once Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Klamm Franzer wrote:
It will be do-able but one of the main problems is that the hour change goes against you. Even with a 6:30 AM flight, you are already landing at 9:00ish. Hand luggage, so no carousel to negotiate. Single day car hire. Sandwiches en route. You're hiring skis at 11:00AM and on the lift.....

Chances of nothing making a mess of this schedule are 50/50. Every early flight I have taken from EJ has taken off late - Ryanair are better and often have earlier take-off slots. Queue at the car hire desk (Taxi might be more dependable).

Lot of effort for an afternoon on the slopes. Not to mention the cost per day or the environmental costs!

If you pick a Friday or a Monday, you could have 2.5 days which is 5 times more slope time.

Quite. Might as well do a challenge to see how many car tyres you can burn in 24 hours
snow conditions
I'm guessing this is for another year? Logistics of negative tests, quarantine, no lifts running (?) would make it a pretty dull day at the moment!

As others have said, I'd go for a weekend, easily possible to get a 2 full days skiing in with an early work finish Friday and late flight home. Pre-kids used to ski pretty much every Easter for 3 days
latest report
I did such a trip back in Jan 2016. Biggest fear was a delay going out which would have rendered it a pretty pointless trip. In the end Easyjet were brilliant and I had no travel problems. I hired a car to be sure of minimal delays and drove to Les Gets. Car park is beneath the lift pass office and main gondola and ski hire place just over the road. Alas it was a grotty weather day and I had about 5 hours of skiing in the rain. Was impressed with what I saw of Les Gets and that prompted me to go back for a long weekend a couple of years ago.

Worthwhile? Yes, if you really can't get any more time away and for the experience. Doesn't make much sense financially. Perhaps now harder to justify in our more climate change aware times? But the plane is going anyway and it was half empty that January morning I travelled. I would do it again, but I enjoy travelling and the buzz of going somewhere, so not the best person to make a balanced assessment.

The Eurostar day trips have always appealed, but seem to have become more expensive and less available in recent years.
snow conditions
The Swiss Travel Centre used to do a day trip to Engelberg. The 6am Swiss flight from Heathrow to Zurich (it's the first of the day from London so fewer chances of delays), taxi-type transfer to Titlis and on the slopes around 10.30 local time. Return journey involved the last flight of the day from Zurich at 8.55pm. (I've used both flights many times and they are extremely reliable!)

More recently, another company (Snowtrex?) did a day trip to Maria Alm in Austria using early/late flights from Luton.

Always quite fancied it but never got around to it!
snow report
@greengriff, I'd be heading for somewhere like Morillon or Praz De Lys for easy access if you used a hire car to and from airport. Really easy to park literally outside a ski hire shop and get straight on the piste/lift out of the shop. Easy return too prior to departure for Geneva.

Both within about 1 h of airport, but PDL has lower cost plus great food on piste and end of day in village. PDL just couldn't be easier to use for a day of skiing.

Environmentally, the plane's going anyway you'll only add the car trip. It's absolutely no different to 1 week there. Very Happy
ski holidays
A 6am start from Leicester to the 'Weardale Ski Club' Car Park area takes me about 4 hours by Car.

Ski/Board for 6 hours (10am ~ 4pm)

Then a 4 hour drive and I'm back home again by 8.00 pm... on the Same Day.

Local Accommodation in the Weardale area costs from about £50 per Night

https://www.skiweardale.com/

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 18-07-21 6:47; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Resorts around Geneva are great for maximising skiing time because there are so many flights from the UK. A 1-day trip is definitely possible with an early flight out and a late one back. Even from Edinburgh, we usually ski Saturday to Saturday, and ski both on arrival (afternoon) and departure day (full day) - 8 days skiing. Ignore the middle part of the trip and you can work out what a single day would be like.

I wouldn't personally do a 1-day trip because of the cost (financial and environmental). Notwithstanding that, here's how I could do it. You'd even have time for dinner before returning to the airport.

0605 depart Edinburgh (EasyJet)
0915 arrive Geneva
1000 drive to Crozet in the Jura (only 10 miles / 20 min from the airport), hire skis at gondola base
1045 ski until lifts close, return skis
17 early dinner somewhere nearby
19 check in at airport
2045 depart Geneva (EasyJet)
2205 arrive Edinburgh

45 mins away (lose 30 mins skiing time):
- La Faucille / Mijoux (Jura)
- Les Rousses (Jura)
- Le Semnoz

1 hr away (lose 45 mins skiing time), including several big ski areas in the "proper" Alps:
- Le Grand Bornand
- La Clusaz
- Les Brasses
- Hirmentaz / Les Haberes
- Sommand (Praz de Lys)
- Morillon (Grand Massif)
- St Gervais (Megeve)
- Combloux (Portes du Mont Blanc)
- Les Houches
(and several other tiny areas)

1 1/4 hours away (lose 1 hr skiing time):
- Les Gets (Portes du Soleil)
- Chamonix

Efficiency would be key. Faffing strictly forbidden. A delayed flight on the way out would not be ideal. Having written all this, I'm actually quite tempted now Laughing

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 19-03-21 14:21; edited 1 time in total
snow report
The Crozet lift is even visible from the GVA tarmac. Apparently it is windy- my som has raced there and I think some people will travel to crozet for a race and back in a day.

Of course you could get the sleeper to Fort William or Aviemore. Or drive if you take shifts.

I've had a day trip to Yad Moss from Liverpool. The Mornington Crescent of Snowheads. How I miss Humpf- but Jack Dee is going fine and dandy.
snow report
Timmycb5 wrote:

Quite. Might as well do a challenge to see how many car tyres you can burn in 24 hours

Yeah that's right, because the 'plane definitely won't be flying unless I'm on it, will it!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy